Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008463 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6585 on: September 01, 2017, 01:32:25 pm »

Also, you are aware that the EU is an extremely neoliberal organisation which exists among other things to protect "European" trade interests abroad, which invariable involves exploiting and stepping on African and Asian countries a la neocolonialism, right? The EU is not the kind of thing you want to support if you want a clear conscience.
There's nothing more post-colonial than creating a new age of european world hegemony m8
do u even progress
This is sarcastic btw. In this world that we live in, can't take it for granted that the sarcasm is clear

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: September 01, 2017, 01:35:14 pm »

Maybe something better would be something like what Italy has with the upper Senate or something that is made of mostly non-political people to act as advisors. They'd be people like Nobel prize winners, well known philosophers, scientists, economists, etc from the various EU member nations.

The thing is that when you go 'supranational', there isn't any sort of equivalent 'suprastate/province' thing for the political portion of government in any nation that I know of where one person represents a bunch of states/provinces/political regions together as a subset of the whole 'nation'. There's something like that for the Judicary branch, so, I get the concept.

Because, I assume, EU=Bad™.

I just posted why.

Also, you are aware that the EU is an extremely neoliberal organisation which exists among other things to protect "European" trade interests abroad, which invariable involves exploiting and stepping on African and Asian countries a la neocolonialism, right? The EU is not the kind of thing you want to support if you want a clear conscience.

Not to mention that the whole government and beurauacracy sounds like it was inefficiently designed by a committee that wanted total soveriegnity among it's founders and member states while acting as if part of a supranation.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: September 01, 2017, 01:37:11 pm »

But scriver, don't you see that the EU is the head of a new civilized and rational world order, and who's natural ally China will be able to break the American imperialist hegemony?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: September 01, 2017, 03:21:49 pm »

Well, yeah, it would give slightly less of an advantage to smaller countries in the EU parliament, but gosh, calm down scriver. We're talking of less than 10% of the seats. I mean, the discussion of how it would turn out and how it would (or wouldn't) change the balance of power within the EU is an interesting one, but that's a discussion that we can't have if you answer to that by "Well, democracy is over, we might as well elect Hitler God-Chancellor of Yurop".

So if you're willing to act reasonably, I'll be glad to discuss this in more details. Otherwise, I'll also (although sadly less) be glad to answer with equally ridiculous over the top claims in the opposite direction, and we can wallow in our own shit while LW laugh like the reincarnation of Nyarlatothep.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: September 01, 2017, 04:36:05 pm »

Because, I assume, EU=Bad™.

I just posted why.

Are you going to start having a real discussion now, rather than "democracy is dead"? Sorry, no-can-do, I'm a clueless american who can only quip.

Also that reply you put up while I was being snarky, and I'm not going to throw out a perfectly good quip just because it's no longer relevant.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: September 01, 2017, 05:24:45 pm »

I think there are two main points to consider with a hypothetical EU-wide district:

1) The effect it has on the power of the EU as a state relative to its member governments
2) The effect on the distribution of power between the member states relative to each other

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:35:05 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6591 on: September 01, 2017, 05:41:07 pm »

Well, yeah, it would give slightly less of an advantage to smaller countries in the EU parliament, but gosh, calm down scriver. We're talking of less than 10% of the seats. I mean, the discussion of how it would turn out and how it would (or wouldn't) change the balance of power within the EU is an interesting one, but that's a discussion that we can't have if you answer to that by "Well, democracy is over, we might as well elect Hitler God-Chancellor of Yurop".
So if you're willing to act reasonably, I'll be glad to discuss this in more details. Otherwise, I'll also (although sadly less) be glad to answer with equally ridiculous over the top claims in the opposite direction, and we can wallow in our own shit while LW laugh like the reincarnation of Nyarlatothep.
Absolutely c h a o s h

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: September 01, 2017, 05:52:51 pm »

All in all it's just another brick in the wall
Love, scriver~

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6593 on: September 01, 2017, 05:57:02 pm »

Wait, scriver - how is adding more direct democracy the end of democracy? I get that the EU is hardly the best supranational organization, but that doesn't mean that this supranational-representative thing is anti-democratic.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: September 01, 2017, 06:03:42 pm »

Wait, scriver - how is adding more direct democracy the end of democracy? I get that the EU is hardly the best supranational organization, but that doesn't mean that this supranational-representative thing is anti-democratic.

Because it'd potentially be the beginning of the end of the full sovereignity that the EU nations enjoy. Unless they go for an UN type structure.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: September 01, 2017, 06:09:17 pm »

Fifty thousand Englishmen and five hundred Algonquians vote on how to divide the land. The Algonquians have to move away.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: September 01, 2017, 06:27:54 pm »

Does the EU have one house or two houses of parliament? Or maybe better distribution of MEPs? The American equivalent of the five biggest actors having almost half the vote would be like California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Illinois making up almost half of the House of Representatives. Except they don't, they take up about 37%, bit over a third.

Perhaps major reform is simply needed to balance out things. Of course though, the big states won't want to lose their collective almost half of parliament.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: September 01, 2017, 06:33:48 pm »

My perception is that it's much more a North vs South problem (namely, the former shafting the latter)  than big countries vs small ones. 

Of course, if you are in the south AND  small, you get doubly shafted. Hence the situation in Greece >:(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: September 01, 2017, 06:46:32 pm »

Which I think is a funny view because the countries in the North is the ones paying for the whole Eu project yet are completely powerless over EU policy and financing.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: September 01, 2017, 06:48:54 pm »

More West vs East than North vs South.

It still comes down to "Why should <politician from x country> represent us when they in fact, don't?" or some variant of that because the member states still think of themselves as independent states contributing to a community project than states with limited autonomy that are part of a greater whole. Aside from the original 13 colonies and the period where we were still figuring out how to do things, the only states which were ever a nation in their own right are Hawaii (Polynesian kingdom) and Texas. California had a federal thing really briefly while waiting for statehood, but not sure if that counts.

Which I think is a funny view because the countries in the North is the ones paying for the whole Eu project yet are completely powerless over EU policy and financing.

I thought Germany and France are the financial engines of the whole thing?
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 793