Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1007942 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7440 on: January 07, 2018, 12:48:22 pm »

When they say "Swedish Church" they don't mean one individual church they mean "The Church of Sweden" e.g. a national religious institution, analogous to the "The Church of England" which is the official state religion of England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Sweden

The membership of this "one tiny place in Sweden" is 61% of the national population. So no, you got that wrong, it is in fact a thing that affects most people in Sweden directly. Saying it doesn't is like saying a female pope would "only affect a few people in Rome".

Well, yes and no. Most Swedes are registered CoS member, but overall church attendance is like, 4-5% so most "members" won't ever hear a sermon preached with the new pronoun.

P.S. It's muy understanding that Swedes were registered a CoS if one parent was a member prior to 1996, not that all Swedes were required to be members. If anything that means it affects even less people, since a lot of those "members" are only marked as such before they were required to be.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: January 07, 2018, 12:53:08 pm »

Membership was ~87% of the population at the time of the 1995 ruling according to articles.

You could have gotten out of your kids being members, if any only if both parents actively renounce their own membership before the birth of the kids. But of course, that wouldn't have been an easily entered decision, you'd be turning your back on the religious organization / social structure that both sides of your family are all members of, plus it being the official state religion that's taught in schools and pushed by the government. The pressure to just not rock the boat would have been immense.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:58:25 pm by Reelya »

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: January 07, 2018, 01:09:24 pm »

Swedish church is desperately clamouring from dying off by attempting to appeal to people who don't want to be in the church. Old news is old, Swedish Church keeps bleeding members like a medieval medical institution.

Indeed. I am packing up and leaving, myself. I have had quite enough of their nonsense. More to the point, the church has been run by political interest rather than religious for many years, and this is merely the most glaring effect that has caused. It is not about to change, and thus, I am off. Perhaps, however, forcing out people who does not appreciate one thousand years of continued tradition and heritage being flushed away to make room for the latest ideological fad, is something the current management finds appealing.

All together, I am much rather alone than in bad company.

By the way, could somone tell me what denomination the Swedish Church is? Some sort of protestant?

Evangelical Lutheran, I was told.

Well, yes and no. Most Swedes are registered CoS member, but overall church attendance is like, 4-5% so most "members" won't ever hear a sermon preached with the new pronoun.

P.S. It's muy understanding that Swedes were registered a CoS if one parent was a member prior to 1996, not that all Swedes were required to be members. If anything that means it affects even less people, since a lot of those "members" are only marked as such before they were required to be.

That is true. Membership was an opt-out affair in the past, since it was the state church. Of course, in the 18th and 19th centuries, not being a part of it was very much illegal. Often, change is for the better, but then it is liable to go much too far, as in this case.

Of course, most people do not attend regular service, or consider themselves Christian or religious, and tend to think of themselves as Atheistic. Then, when something happens, they tend to return to the traditions, and the church becomes an institution of comfort and stability. The Scandinavian is a more spiritual creature than he likes to talk of, when the days are dark and the going is rough.

What I'm saying is that the statement "When referring to Jesus in sermons, priests will henceforth use the new (since 2015) Swedish word 'hen'." is false. Jesus was referred to with a gender neutral pronoun in an ad in a local Västerås paper. This caused some controversy. The bishop of Västerås made a statement where he said that Jesus, the human, was male, but shared the life of all humanity, regardless of gender.

A lot of the time when you hear crazy things about Sweden online, it's tiny things blown way out of proportion and mixed with pure fabrication.

Often, yes, and in this case, it is the use of enforced gender-neutral language. That is not entirely true. However, scripture and sermons are being modified to avoid or change terms that is disagreeable through a modern, ideological lense. Such as the term 'Lord', both a male specific term and not as close, lovely special buddy that the current church direction has emphasised in many years.

It is dramaticised, but it is true that old heritage is being changed as part of a strange modernisation effort, mainly run by the political factions in church management.

And while we are here, I would like to thank you. Often, people cannot make it through the head-line. I admire good readership.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: January 07, 2018, 01:28:23 pm »

He, to be fair, from a theological point of view I quite like the idea of referring to Jesus, in his godly capacity as genderless.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7444 on: January 07, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »

He, to be fair, from a theological point of view I quite like the idea of referring to Jesus, in his godly capacity as genderless.
pleb tier theology

j e s u s   i s   m y   f i d g e t   s p i n n e r

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7446 on: January 07, 2018, 05:27:55 pm »

Can you offer an archived text? I can't figure out what the website wants from me before it lets me read swedish runes

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: January 07, 2018, 05:34:22 pm »

It looks to be paywalled anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7448 on: January 07, 2018, 06:07:28 pm »

Swedish man explodes after picking up a thing on the floor. Turned out to be a grenade

Sweden has seen a rise in hand grenade attacks or incidents in recent years.
There have been so many incidents that the government is planning an amnesty for grenades and explosives later this year.
Sweden is normal
t. Sven the 5th dimensional parasite of Cthulhu's left testicle

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: January 07, 2018, 06:08:06 pm »

It's not paywalled for me, but here is an article regarding the same thing from another source.

I actually don't know how to create archived thingies of sites. I was going to just copy the whole thing here, but it looked like it was copying sidebars too and I'm too lazy to remove those.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: January 07, 2018, 06:13:08 pm »

Swedish man explodes after picking up a thing on the floor. Turned out to be a grenade

Sweden has seen a rise in hand grenade attacks or incidents in recent years.
There have been so many incidents that the government is planning an amnesty for grenades and explosives later this year.
Sweden is normal
t. Sven the 5th dimensional parasite of Cthulhu's left testicle

He's actually dead now.

Also, that quoted sentence sounds like some kind of mistranslation.

Maybe scriver or one of the Swedish Bay12ers can shed some light on that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: January 07, 2018, 06:23:46 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the "Sweden has seen a rise in hand grenade attacks or incidents in recent years. There have been so many incidents that the government is planning an amnesty for grenades and explosives later this year." from LW's post? I don't see anything wrong with it, though I'm not sure where he got it from.

If it's about the "amnesty" thing, it's a period during which you can turn in illicit goods without risking charge, usually done for guns. But I think it's still called that in English though?
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: January 07, 2018, 06:31:27 pm »

Pretty sure he's referring to the amnesty part, just sounds strange I guess.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: January 07, 2018, 08:19:50 pm »

*Rides in on a Dala horse*

Hmm. Nothing that I have heard of, specifically. There has, however, been gun amnesties in the past. That is, the public can come by the station and drop of any old gun of questionable legality with no questions asked. I assume it is something similar, in this case. There are quite a few hand grenades and old unregistered dynamite lying about, I imagine. Someone's grandfather might have kept some sticks in the garden shed, or someone brought a few grenades with them after a homeguard exercise or some-such, and this might be an incentive to hoover some of those old things up. Gun amnesties are fairly common, since firearms are rather common throughout the country, both legal and otherwise.

As for grenade attacks on the increase, I fear it is so. The gangster wars have turned quite brutal these last two decades. There always were violent crime, of course. But, in a situation where they would simply corner a rival and beat him, now they shoot at him or chuck grenades after him. Grenades are handy, plentiful and attractive. The poor man killed today were simply at the wrong place, picking up the wrong thing. It seems that the grenade had been discarded at the site, possibly due to its faulty safety mechanism, and then went off as he picked it up.

The only grenade incident where I were present were some eleven years back, when a hand grenade hid under the parked motorcar of a night club watchman chief went off. No injuries, save property damage. That guard was, of course, deep in the criminal circles, and employed by a very dodgy club. It closed a few years after, when another dodgy man were shot and killed on the dance floor.

There is also the incident last year, when a child was killed when gangsters threw a grenade into a flat that belonged to an imprisoned relative of his, sentenced for murdering two men (one bystander, one dodgy character) and wounding several when they stormed a pub with an AKM.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: January 08, 2018, 01:05:02 pm »

Lol, making fun of a massacre. Thank you Sinn Fein MP.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 793