Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008510 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related Happy New Year
« Reply #7426 on: December 31, 2017, 06:25:16 pm »

Happy new year folks!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7427 on: January 01, 2018, 07:47:17 pm »

The Swedish church has changed Jesus from masculine to neutral, in hopes of reaching a larger public. When referring to Jesus in sermons, priests will henceforth use the new (since 2015) Swedish word 'hen'. Since 2015, the Swedish language union decided to make a gesture of goodwill to transexuals and other lgbt. Next to him (han) and her (hon), Swedish now also has it (hen), and now Jesus is an it too.

The bishop of Västerås has written a press statement in which he agrees with the transition.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: January 01, 2018, 08:07:47 pm »

Man, who would have thought that evangelical propaganda would end up being taken seriously years later?

For reaching a larger public, though? I don't see how that brings anybody over the line to attending church.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: January 01, 2018, 11:16:54 pm »

The Swedish church has changed Jesus from masculine to neutral, in hopes of reaching a larger public. When referring to Jesus in sermons, priests will henceforth use the new (since 2015) Swedish word 'hen'. Since 2015, the Swedish language union decided to make a gesture of goodwill to transexuals and other lgbt. Next to him (han) and her (hon), Swedish now also has it (hen), and now Jesus is an it too.

The bishop of Västerås has written a press statement in which he agrees with the transition.

How exactly do you change Jesus from masculine to neutral? Remove the beard? The general representation of Jesus is as pretty close to neutral as it gets without removing the beard.

Unless Nordic churches like muscular Jesus for some reason.

*finishes reading the rest of the post*

Oh, gender-neutral language.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: January 02, 2018, 02:13:31 am »

Swedish church is desperately clamouring from dying off by attempting to appeal to people who don't want to be in the church. Old news is old, Swedish Church keeps bleeding members like a medieval medical institution.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:55 am »

Swedish church is desperately clamouring from dying off by attempting to appeal to people who don't want to be in the church. Old news is old, Swedish Church keeps bleeding members like a medieval medical institution.
By the way, could somone tell me what denomination the Swedish Church is? Some sort of protestant?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: January 02, 2018, 09:43:53 am »

Protestant and other reformed churches. If I remember correctly two largest churches (institutions not buildings) in Sweden are protestant, one more conservative and one more liberal.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: January 02, 2018, 11:17:50 am »

I assume this is the liberal one
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: January 02, 2018, 11:18:58 am »

The Swedish Church, which is the old state church, is protestant. Other protestant denominations are togetherly referred to as freereligious and not really differentiated between by people not in them.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:10:28 pm by smjjames »

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: January 07, 2018, 12:03:28 pm »

Ah the classic "one tiny place in Sweden did this one thing, that means IT'S THE LAW IN ALL OF SWEDEN"
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: January 07, 2018, 12:34:33 pm »

When they say "Swedish Church" they don't mean one individual church they mean "The Church of Sweden" e.g. a national religious institution, analogous to the "The Church of England" which is the official state religion of England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Sweden

The membership of this "one tiny place in Sweden" is 61% of the national population.

In fact, until 1996 it was required by law that Swedes join this religion at birth. So that means the vast majority of adults in Sweden were legally forced in the past to be members of this specific "church" that made this specific ruling. So your entire rebuttal is in fact, pretty off.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:49:49 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: January 07, 2018, 12:45:26 pm »

A female pope would be absolutely revolutionary for Catholics.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: January 07, 2018, 12:47:55 pm »

What I'm saying is that the statement "When referring to Jesus in sermons, priests will henceforth use the new (since 2015) Swedish word 'hen'." is false. Jesus was referred to with a gender neutral pronoun in an ad in a local Västerås paper. This caused some controversy. The bishop of Västerås made a statement where he said that Jesus, the human, was male, but shared the life of all humanity, regardless of gender.

A lot of the time when you hear crazy things about Sweden online, it's tiny things blown way out of proportion and mixed with pure fabrication.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 793