Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859545 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7950 on: August 03, 2020, 04:14:13 pm »

Pretty sure it's the meat that makes it bolognese
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: August 04, 2020, 02:46:19 am »

I don't care how good in can be in theory, most people's bolognese can be beaten with pasta, egg, a frying pan and pepper. Fuck you bolognese go lie with mayonaise in a ditch. That's it from now on all foods finishing with "neɪz" will be refused unless accompanied by an unselective omnivore.
"I hate music, 'cause none of the people I had play it to me knew how to play music.'

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: August 04, 2020, 03:24:22 am »

I am reading the ingredients for bolognese sauce...

It looks like spaghetti sauce to me.  Not even all that great spaghetti sauce.

Quote from: Bolognese sauce

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 pound ground chuck beef
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano

Compare how eerily close this spaghetti meat-sauce is...

Quote from: Spaghetti meat sauce

1 pound ground beef
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 cup water
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

The celery and cheese must make all the difference!

Hell, the spaghetti sauce is probably more flavorful, because it has much more tomato in it. (That tomato paste it calls for is like, tomato concentrate in an a can.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: August 04, 2020, 03:31:47 am »

Everyone knows that if you make pasta sauce with ground need you have to use cream instead of water
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: August 04, 2020, 03:34:03 am »

Only if you want to exclude Jewish people.

(Shamelessly non-kosher ideas like that!)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: August 04, 2020, 04:14:50 am »

Pretty sure it's the meat that makes it bolognese

You need to add wine to the sauce, that kicks it up to the high tier. Anyone who isn't doing that, they're not doing it right.

Most people do red wine because it's red, but I worked as a kitchenhand at an Italian restaurant for a few months when I was younger, and they used white wine.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:18:10 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: August 04, 2020, 05:01:44 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:11:27 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: August 04, 2020, 05:06:12 am »

Dont forget that going too lean with the beef will ruin the flavor profile, and going too fatty will ruin the mouth feel.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: August 04, 2020, 05:33:40 am »

I mean just look at them, I don't know where weird found these recipes or if they're canon but they're the perfect example:

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 pound ground chuck beef
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano

Careful with the size of that onion you wouldn't want it to taste like anything but ground meat. And of course no mention of carrots, or bell peppers, or mushrooms, or chili, but do not forget to impose cheese on all servings. Also never miss a chance to pour wine in a cooking pot. But hey 8 whole Basiculum leaves are here to save the day. JFL

I'm really not sure why you're on an anti-bolognese crusade to start with. Did someone else mention it? I couldn't find a prior post.

Also, not sure if you're actually reading the recipe. "no mention of carrots" - there's carrot mentioned right there. And you mention wine, while the recipe has no mention of wine at all. As for chili, a lot of people aren't going to want that in there. That's what the pepper is there for.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: August 04, 2020, 05:35:02 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:11:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: August 04, 2020, 05:57:47 am »

Nitpick--

That last ingredient is not a pepper. It's a sharp/hard sheep cheese.  There is no pepper in the recipe I pulled. (and it was just at random from google.)

The spaghetti sauce recipe has the bell pepper. :P

What drags is specifically calling for though, is the need to glaze the pan.
https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/perfect-pan-sauce

That means you need a piece of meat that releases its protein load easily on the sear, with enough fat to prevent burning or charring.  An easy trick for that (at least for cubed marbled steak bits), is to lightly salt the meat before throwing it in, as it promotes the release of those proteins, contracts the surface just enough (because you do it JUST before throwing it into the pan, so the salt has no time to migrate into the meat) to assist in locking in the moisture inside, thus promoting the crispy outside and the juicy inside. (the salt also assists in the beneficial reconformation of those proteins into the yummy glaze you want to capture in the deglazing portion of the sauce preparation.)

Hamburger is a little more challenging-- Best advice is more to not break the hamburger up into too large or too small of sized bits, and to avoid too little or too much heat.  NEVER COOK IT WITH BUBBLING WATER OR WATERY LIQUID. Always on a dry, lightly oiled pan.

(A similar technique is required to make country beef and potatoes. You need the pan glaze to properly season the diced potatoes.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: August 04, 2020, 09:50:23 am »

Nitpick--

That last ingredient is not a pepper. It's a sharp/hard sheep cheese.  There is no pepper in the recipe I pulled. (and it was just at random from google.)

The spaghetti sauce recipe has the bell pepper. :P

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: August 04, 2020, 02:26:22 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:11:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: August 04, 2020, 04:52:44 pm »

Fairly sure I just cut ties with the Christian community I grew up with.

You know how I tend to pop on into conversations and have little theology tussles with those therein? I did that with them, and I let them know I can't consider myself a part of their faith anymore. It was over their show of support for what the federal government is doing in Portland. There was apparently a Bible burned as a demonstration, and I said they burned a Bible because mainstream Christianity has gone to exorbitant pains to marry itself entirely with far-right secular American politics for decades. Obviously they only burned a Bible because they are fascists and Trump is going to save us from the book burning bad guys.

No agreement was reached, I was accused of being too judgmental, and I left. This discussion was had with one of the leaders of that community, so I'm fairly sure that's that.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:55:05 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: August 04, 2020, 11:38:41 pm »

(Somewhat tired atm, sorry if my words are awkward)

I like your conscientious stance on religion Duna. I find it offputting the widespread idea of conflating one's political ideologies with their religious beliefs, or even worse, subordinating their religion to the demands of politics. From what I know of Christian beliefs, as I had an amoral upbringing, I'd think that Christianity would revile all forms of government as systems of power; power that tempts and corrupts and leads into sin, and only accepting the existence of government reluctantly as a necessary evil that fallen creatures must participate in.

My own sad, I mentioned a 'game idea' I had to a friend, and I was bitterly reminded why I keep my ideas to myself: I hate exposing them to the filthy grubbiness of reality. I was asked why I don't try to make it myself (or atleast, I think that's what he was going to ask, I anticipated his asking and prevented him from speaking by interrupting him; I didn't want to even attempt giving him an answer to that question.) and I got to thinking, why don't I?  And the answer is obvious to me: I love my little fantasies, they're highly intricate stories that keep me company in my many lonely hours; and attempting to make them tangible realities will, without doubt, introduce into them that element of reality that makes them disappointing and ugly. Just being real means being finite, while remaining as the fantasies in my head they'll have the beauty of infinite potential, of the characters within them being alive within me, as opposed to dead on a page or screen.

I hope that makes sense. There's just so much I'm disappointed with in life, in reality, that it seems obvious to me that by trying to create 'art' all I'm doing is removing the beauty that is in my head, and killing it through exposure to reality.
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 779