Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Jenga fortress  (Read 6109 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Jenga fortress
« on: January 22, 2016, 03:32:25 pm »

Are you familiar with the game Jenga? it's a game where you take turns pulled a block out of the middle of a block-tower and put it on top of the tower without toppling the tower during your turn in hopes that the tower will topple during an opponents turn. I am suggesting we take this concept to a dwarf fortress succession game, no it does not have to be a giant tower, but the concept is to the take your turn without dying, making it as destabilized as possible
at the end of your turn, so that the next guy will topple the fortress. here are the rules
  • like almost all succession games you start at the spring and play until the next spring
  • but when the spring has arrived message comes, you must immediately stop playing, save the game and give it to next guy
  • when someone loses the fortress that person loses, and the person who had the last turn wins. and then maybe we can restart or something
  • Have !!FUN!!
Who wants to play?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Jenga fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 07:41:37 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 07:44:38 pm »

I think I may have played this accidentally.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:53:40 pm »

So basically, you spend the year trapping a bunch of nasties and getting them in cages in your dining hall, all linked to one lever. Then at the very end of winter, you turn off all mining labors so picks get dropped, assign everyone to military squads with no armor or weapons assigned, station everyone in the dining hall, and build walls to block the exits. And on the very last day of winter, pull the lever.

The next player has to try and deconstruct the walls before the nasties kill everyone.

Urist McImgonnadie cancels deconstruct wall: Interrupted by combat

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 08:24:49 pm »

bonus points for building a water clock that activates a doomsday contraption in early spring.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 08:25:22 pm »

So basically, you spend the year trapping a bunch of nasties and getting them in cages in your dining hall, all linked to one lever. Then at the very end of winter, you turn off all mining labors so picks get dropped, assign everyone to military squads with no armor or weapons assigned, station everyone in the dining hall, and build walls to block the exits. And on the very last day of winter, pull the lever.

The next player has to try and deconstruct the walls before the nasties kill everyone.

Urist McImgonnadie cancels deconstruct wall: Interrupted by combat
thats what it sounds like

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 08:28:19 pm »

Definitely needs some rules in place to prevent that sort of behavior. Managing the fort into the ground is one thing, but deliberately releasing the kraken at the end of the year seems like poor sportsmanship.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:49:40 pm »

What if play lasts for just one season? Then it's a bit more of a gamble. You could try setting up a caged dragon ready for release but just run out of time before it's ready. The next bunch of players see your evil plan and keep it on hold until your turn comes round again.

Or they say they will, but there's always one guy who'll set it off early...

:)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:36:15 pm »

Sounds like "Screw the Next Player Over". It was a good couple of succession fortresses. Put me down for a turn!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 03:34:34 am »

PTW. Seems like there needs to be some rules. Since you know more or less when your turn is over, it would be pretty easy screw the next player. Just build a huge reservoir that will catastrophically flood the whole fortress. Lock everyone in and dig into it on the last day. Everyone would survive long enough to get to Spring and the next person's turn.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 03:50:34 am »

Another idea; if the fort falls in the first month after your turn, both players loose.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 08:59:02 am »

PTW.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 10:50:20 am »

I'll watch. I'm not quite devious enough to pull off a win, though.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 01:43:14 pm »

Another idea; if the fort falls in the first month after your turn, both players loose.

That sounds like a good rule to me. Plus it encourages various timekeeping doomsday devices, and trying to disguise said devices.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 05:26:37 pm »

The more I think it about this, the more I think the first player is going to be the winner every time. There are just too many ways to "destabilize" the next player. Honestly, just throw everything you have in a river during the last month or use a cave-in to trap everyone on a room with no tools and no-way out. Maybe I'm too devious...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4