Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 145745 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Leaving the EU is looking more and more like the American option of "us first, fuck everyone else"
When we gave our fishing waters to the Common good for everyone else, our fishing industry got depleted by everyone else, and in order to help us the EU started paying British fishermen to scrap their trawlers as by EU quota they weren't legally allowed to fish their own waters anymore.
The EU needs to learn when no means no, and stop fucking everyone else.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Seems pretty daft to blame the decline of fishing on the EU.  Overfishing is happening worldwide, not just in British waters.  I live in a major crabbing area.  We had to resort to draconian measures to keep the local crab population from going endangered.  After a couple years it recovered a bit and all the watermen were like "so now we remove all the limits, right?"  You need daddy government telling people to take less from the water.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:39:07 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

It sounds like the sort of complaint that has a grain of truth and a pile of exaggeration.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Seems pretty daft to blame the decline of fishing on the EU.  Overfishing is happening worldwide, not just in British waters.  I live in a major crabbing area.  We had to resort to draconian measures to keep the local crab population from going endangered.  After a couple years it recovered a bit and all the watermen were like "so now we remove all the limits, right?"  You need daddy government telling people to take less from the water.
We once had the majority of all of Europe's fishing waters, fish and fishermen for a reason, the EU actively precipitated the destruction of the British fishing industry by opening British waters to the entirety of Europe's fishing fleets after they destroyed the Meditteranean and topped it all off with their quotas. Fishermen who fished more than their quota allocated had to throw millions of dead fish back into the sea, fish that could have been sold. On two fronts we had more fishermen, fishing more fish and selling less of it, with foreign fishermen caring nought for the waters they plundered only that they could take their greatest fill. These are the same Spanish fishermen who destroyed the Somalian fishing industry and depleted the Medditeranean. To solve their fuckup the EU decided that European trawlers would still be allowed to plunder our waters, but they would have to bring their whole catch back to land. All this meant was that fishermen who exceeded their quotas dumped their fish on land instead of sea. We went from providing near all of Europe's fish to being utterly destroyed, even some of our national quota goes to Dutchmen. Now the EU pays our fishermen to scrap their ships.
What is exaggerated.

A sad blast from the past, Nick has never been so alone. Never so isolated. Never so powerless.
£1 a month can give Nick hopes for the future
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:23:57 am by Loud Whispers »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

What is exaggerated.

Well you didn't provide a single number and you are making a nationalistic denouncement of foreigners.  What you said could be very bad or it could be nothing of concern at all.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

You are aware that British fisherman also get to fish in Dutch waters, right?
You're kinda telling the same story as Dutch fishermen.

I daresay that there's not a single fisherman happy about those quota, Brit, Dutchman, French, Spanish alike.

Then again, if we were to make all fishermen happy, our grandchildren will only see the mythical ancient species called fish in history books.
I don't buy that EU quota are made to let Spanish fishermen deplete the North Sea / Channel. EU quota are based on population counts. Fish population declining, quota for that species goes down.

Now there's a lot to be said that this does not go far enough, and we are still overfishing (for example, despite having become an endagered species, cod quota did not go down this year, again). Fishermen lobby too stronk for environmentalists, and you're providing them with free lobbying with your post.
In my opinion fishermen should even lose more quota. Including, but not limited to UK fishermen.
Allowing overfishing by specific favoured nations is not the purpose of these quota, nor is it's purpose to specifically screw the UK.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:39:17 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I just... don't see why we needed to make fishing of all things so open-bordered. Why can't British fishermen fish in British waters and Dutch fishermen fish in Dutch waters? Was all of this "diversifying the waters" really necessary?
It's historical. Historically, when first introduced in the 1960s, fish quota amongst the nations were not determined by national borders, but by specialization.
Belgians are traditionally catchers of sole. Dutch fishermen are known for their flatfish. German fishermen catch hakes / pollocks. UK fishermen favoured cod.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Also, territorial waters still are quite small (only a few miles off the coasts). The Exclusive Economic Zones are a more recent invention. Plus, fish don't respect national boundaries. If a country overfish, the other countries will suffer.

LW: You're aware that the fact that some of the UK quota go to Dutch fisherman is entirely a decision of your national government, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile

I just... don't see why we needed to make fishing of all things so open-bordered. Why can't British fishermen fish in British waters and Dutch fishermen fish in Dutch waters? Was all of this "diversifying the waters" really necessary?
Fish don't give a shit about your human borders. :D

So despite the UK having quite extensive waters, fish stocks do not respect political boundaries, and many are mobile at some stage in their life: these fish are exclusive to neither the UK, the EU, nor the bordering Scandinavian states, but are a shared resource. It would be a major undertaking to establish exactly which proportions of each fish stock would occupy any national waters. These are also likely to change throughout the year, and from year to year. The CFP was designed to manage the mobile fishing fleets that pursue these common, mobile resources.

I'm sure there's a lot to criticize about the CFP, but the UK government itself is responsible for distributing the British quota to foreign factory ships instead of local fishermen:

Instead of giving desperately-needed quota to local, low impact fishers, DEFRA (the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) has decided to continue to give most of the UKs fishing quota to industrial fishing businesses – like the vessel Cornelis Vrolijk which alone receives 23% of England’s quota. This will commit many local, sustainable fishermen to bankruptcy for lack of quota and therefore an income.

E: Ninja'd by Sheb.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Also, territorial waters still are quite small (only a few miles off the coasts). The Exclusive Economic Zones are a more recent invention. Plus, fish don't respect national boundaries. If a country overfish, the other countries will suffer.
200 Miles off the coast, with the UK having had the largest in all of Europe until it joined the EU. Fish don't respect national boundaries, fishermen do.

LW: You're aware that the fact that some of the UK quota go to Dutch fisherman is entirely a decision of your national government, right?
The same government that supports the EU and the same party who gave away our fishing rights to the EU illegally. Why would you think I would support them? I have no intrinsic loyalty to Britons just because they are Britons Sheb; that our quota exists and that our waters were taken at all is a result of my government wanting to join the EU political project. Are you telling me I cannot both despise what the EU has done without also despising those who enabled them? As I said, I have no loyalties to Britons simply because they are Britons.

You are aware that British fisherman also get to fish in Dutch waters, right?
You're kinda telling the same story as Dutch fishermen.
A Dutchman goes to Saudi Arabia and gives the King of the Saudis a trade deal: Saudi Arabia will share all of their oil with the Netherlands, and the Netherlands will share all of their oil with Saudi Arabia. Then once the Dutch are finished depleting Saudi Oil, they will regulate Saudi Arabia to protect its environment from this exploitation.

I daresay that there's not a single fisherman happy about those quota, Brit, Dutchman, French, Spanish alike.
Except the Dutchmen, French and Spaniards trawling British waters quite happily.

Well you didn't provide a single number and you are making a nationalistic denouncement of foreigners.  What you said could be very bad or it could be nothing of concern at all.
There could be no more eloquent epitaph on the destruction of Britain’s once-proud fishing industry than the recent revelation that 23 per cent of the entire fishing quota Brussels allows Britain now goes to a single giant Dutch trawler, the Cornelis Vrolijk, to land all its catches in Holland.

Few people under 50 can recall a time when Britain had Europe’s largest fishing fleet and 80 per cent of all its fishing waters.

But back in the 1990s, this column was almost alone in reporting what had followed after Edward Heath was so desperate to enter “Europe” that he gave way to Brussels’s new demand (not even legally authorised by the treaties) that all fishing waters must be merged as a “common European resource”.

The only way fishing rights could then be parcelled out among the member states was by a complex system of national “quotas”, which allowed Britain’s fishermen just 13 per cent by value of this new “common resource”. To allow everyone a share required drastic cuts in fleet sizes, such as the time when we were ordered to make a further 19 per cent cut, while Spain’s huge fleet lost only 4 per cent.

This was hailed by John Gummer, our then-fisheries minister, as “a good deal” for our fishermen.
 But another inevitable consequence of the new system was the appalling “discards” scandal, forcing fishermen to chuck back into the sea millions of dead fish for which they had no quota.

Eventually, I found this dreadful story so depressing that I stopped reporting it. Now, years later, after yet another dismal meeting in Brussels, we are told the environmental “discards” disaster has been ended. Fishermen must now bring all their catch back to land. But only so that millions of fish can now be discarded to landfill instead.

So Britain’s fleet continues to shrink, while 43 per cent of the UK’s quota has now been bought up by foreign-owned vessels

(32 per cent going to just five boats, including the Cornelis Vrolijk). And still we hear our latest fisheries minister telling us that this new deal represents “the best possible” outcome for Britain. Bah, humbug.

British fishermen's 'bitterness' over the EU
Fishing has been a way of life for generations around Scotland's Northeast Coast. But it's never been easy making a living at sea. And trawlermen say it has been made much harder by rules imposed by the European Union. Since the introduction of the Common Fisheries policy hundreds of boats have been scrapped, thousands of jobs lost. 20 years ago this harbour would have been packed with fishing boats that'd be stacked three, four boats deep. Now the fleet is just a fraction of the size it used to be, and fishermen say that is all the fault of the European Union. Trawlermen are angry because they feel they have lost control of their own waters, the Common fisheries policy sets quotas telling fishermen exactly what they can and can't catch. It was designed to conserve stocks, as well as allow equal access to the fishing grounds for boats of other EU countries, like France and Spain.
"Round about our coasts, there's very very rich fishing grounds, and the EU fishermen get really good days using them here."
"If we were to leave the EU there'd still be French and Spanish fishermen boats in the waters that you fish, wouldn't there?"
"Yes of course there would be, but they would be under our rules. Mean we're not saying there's got to be no Spanish, or no French here, we might have to let some of them in to get access to their market. But they'd be under our rules and our quotas, and we would get - hopefully - we would get a bigger share of the fish that's out of our waters."
Brisk business at the fish market at Peterhead doesn't ease the bitterness most of the fishing industry feel towards the EU. But many admit, much hated quotas have helped fishing stocks in the North Sea to recover, and a few fear that could be put at risk. My fear of leaving the European Union is that at the end of that, we'd have a European free for all which would devastate our stocks and knock the industry back 10 years, whilst legal arguments were going on over who had access to what, where and how. If we have a European fishing fleet that thinks they're going to get thrown out of the rich British fisheries, they could have a massive impact on destroying it before any agreement is put in place.
As with so much of the EU debate, no one really knows what the future of fishing might look like if there is a Brexit. What would it mean for the exports of fish to France and Spain, or the large numbers of EU migrants who process the fish ready for sale. Whatever happens, the industry is convinced it has to be better than the status quo.
This industry is not so much a job than a way of life, to see your whole heritage and whole way of life devastated for a political project, we're ultimately made to beg for our own fish from Brussel's table. And it's a national tragedy what's happened to the fishing industry and it's what's happening to our country as a whole.
British trawlermen feel they have been cheated out of fishing rights that ought to be theirs by birth. And they believe, only by leaving the EU, can they regain control of the waters that provide their livelihood.

Between Britain and Ireland, we two nations accounted for 60 percent of the EU's waters. Where our exclusive economic zone once extended beyond 200 nautical miles, it now extends 12. Billions of fish were caught and discarded because of the quotas, with UK ports more active in the 19th century than today. In the Seventies, Britain and Greenland held around 80 percent of fish stocks, whilst France, Spain and Italy had depleted the Mediterranean. Whilst Greenland left the EU to protect their fishing stocks, we joined because our politicians were retarded. The original six Common Market members realized that the four countries applying to join the Common Market at that time (Britain, Ireland, Denmark and Norway) controlled the richest fishing grounds in the world. The original six drew up the Council Regulation 2141/70 giving all members equal access to all fishing waters, even though the Treaty of Rome gave them no authority to do so. This was adopted on the morning of the 30th of June 1970 a few hours before the applications were received, ensuring that the new members were obliged to accept the regulation as they joined and would not be able to dispute it after becoming members. The UK initially refused, but eventually signed the Accession Treaty on the 22nd January 1972, handing over four fifths of all the fish off Western Europe to the European common good.

Thus we got fucked.

It's historical. Historically, when first introduced in the 1960s, fish quota amongst the nations were not determined by national borders, but by specialization.
Belgians are traditionally catchers of sole. Dutch fishermen are known for their flatfish. German fishermen catch hakes / pollocks. UK fishermen favoured cod.
The fish quotas were determined by how much they could rip out of the UK, British fisheries were specialized in every sort of fish and shellfish in our waters because our fishing industry was that large - even postwar, 40,000 fishermen were regularly employed in the UK in the 50s.

The EU did more damage to British fishing than the Kaiser and Fuhrer

It's surreal

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

You're mixing EEZ and territorial water. UNICLOS only recognized the 200-mi EEZ in the 1980's.

Also, of course you don't owe fealty to 10 Downing Street. But you can't blame the EU for their decision to give quotas to Cornelis Vrolijk.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

You're mixing EEZ and territorial water. UNICLOS only recognized the 200-mi EEZ in the 1980's.

Also, of course you don't owe fealty to 10 Downing Street. But you can't blame the EU for their decision to give quotas to Cornelis Vrolijk.
Oh yeah, just the existence of the quotas and harmonization of British waters that destroyed the British fishing industry. Only. That the Dutch then also take up 23% of the British quota the EU has kindly given us from our own waters is something in which our pro-EU statesmen can only share the blame in.

In other news
Londonistan autonomy soon
I believe in the future, megacities will asborb and coalesce into gargantuan greater cities. It would be quite amusing that there may be a point where Paris and London are neighbours, perhaps centuries from now.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Okay now what you are telling us is just incoherent.  The fish are allocated to Britain then the fishing rights are sold to the Dutch and somehow this is the EUs fault?  Sounds like your problem is with whoever is selling the fishing rights.

Sounds like a typical "SOMETHING I DONT LIKE IS HAPPENING" proof of "guilt".
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:19:17 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Okay now what you are telling us is just incoherent.  The fish are allocated to Britain then the fishing rights are sold to the Dutch and somehow this is the EUs fault?  Sounds like your problem is with whoever is selling the fishing rights.
Sounds like a typical "SOMETHING I DONT LIKE IS HAPPENING" proof of "guilt".
Please read this post for a detailed description of what occurred.

The fish are allocated to all European nations by quota, with each nation having their own quota. Of the British quota, 23% is handled by Dutch fishermen. Read my post for what is said, not what it "sounds" like, a phrase I have unfortunately had to use repeatedly.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I read the goddamn post.  Did you?  ::)

Stop blaming Europe for the British government.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 107