Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 135

Author Topic: Ye Gods 3 IC: Tick 18.5: Bounces  (Read 176565 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods 3 IC: Tick 4: March of the Titans [20/30]
« Reply #1050 on: May 05, 2016, 10:08:27 am »

Saukko

Proposal: School of Magic

Vejrdraoid, or weather magic, practitioners are able to influence air pressure, moisture, sunlight, and - at the most advanced levels - electrical charge in a variety of offensive and defensive defensive spells. Powered via leylines.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Ye Gods 3 IC: Tick 5: The Drollery Begins [21/30]
« Reply #1051 on: May 05, 2016, 10:18:46 am »

Propose that gods may listen and answer to prayers in the manner appropriate to that particular god only subconsciously, but automatically, and only the most significant (aka plot-important/indicative of something you may really want to do something about) make it to the conscious minds of the gods.
Propose a limit on planets of 1/12 the current number of gods for gaseous planets, 1/6 the number of gods for terrestrial planets, and 1/2 the number of gods for total moons.

Support
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 05, 2016, 11:05:53 am »

"JOURNALISM GOD FORCED TO BREAK PROMISE OF NOT CREATING."

Mischief raises an island, Kri, near Gnu and Ka. ((We should give this archipelago a name.)) He places a node of Journalism in the center of it, then creates lush flora and fauna as well as 2000 Paperboys/girls on it.

Spoiler: Paperboys (click to show/hide)

((I might not be entirely done with these, but I should get something in sooner rather than later. I reserve the right to make changes until the action resolves.))

Convince the Paperboys to take up the motto "First to Go — Last to Know: We Will Defend to the Death your Right to be Misinformed."

"While we're at this, we should some up with some rules relating to the growths of mortal populations. I would propose, for simplicity's sake, a simple multiplying factor such as 1.1*(population), with possible adjustments for environmental factors. I will not make a formal proposal yet, however, as I would like discussion on this rather than simple opposition or support.

I would suggest a simple bracket of 5-7 categories of environment, based on a general assessment of how difficult it would be to live there.

Inhospitable = 0.25x growth rate, high chance of destructive events. Describes a location that is exceedingly difficult to even survive, due to regular natural disasters, extremely deadly wildlife, a near total lack of essential resources, or some combination thereof, such as a plain of volatile geysers and springs of toxic water.
Savage = 0.5x growth rate, moderate chance of destructive events. Describes a location that is hard to create permanent settlements on, due to scarcity of multiple natural resources, hostile wildlife, or unpredictable disasters, such as a jungle filled with massive, monstrous creatures.
Hostile = 0.75x growth rate, low chance of destructive events. Describes a location more difficult to settle than average due to a scarcity of a single natural resource, abnormally dangerous wildlife, or occasional disasters, such as a plain on a fault line.
Normal = 1x growth rate. Resources are limited, but not harshly, with manageable wildlife and relatively rare disasters. A typical forest, for example.
Fertile = 1.25x growth rate. Resources are generally common enough to cover the needs of most, and wildlife may be largely docile. Disasters are rare and often manageable. A verdant hillscape with a river, for example.
Friendly = 1.5x growth rate. Resources are plentiful, such that poverty and starvation are rare outside of divine interference or incredibly poor government. Wildlife may be larger and more useful than normal, and mostly non-hostile. Disasters are rare and always manageable barring divine intervention. A dense rainforest with numerous useful plants and animals, for example.
Bountiful = 1.75x growth rate. Resources are essentially unlimited, with poverty being essentially impossible. Wildlife is often outright friendly to sentients. Disasters are unheard of. A lush valley filled with metal ores and overflowing with nutritious fruits and vegetables, sheltered from disasters by tall peaks, for example.

Having the Extremophile or an applicable trait that would increase environmental tolerance (e.g. Amphibious in a swamp) means the environment, if hostile, is effectively one level less so, e.g. Savage becoming Hostile.

Any thoughts?"

Oppose. "T00...complicated..t00...much...gr0wth.."

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 05, 2016, 11:21:16 am »

"I wonder why my stone dragons are delayed I think all the traotsy that exist for them are currently approved?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 05, 2016, 11:54:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oppose

Also have you seen this?
Spoiler: Map Proposal (click to show/hide)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1055 on: May 05, 2016, 12:18:08 pm »

"I'm not sure why you're voting on something that isn't even a full proposal, Munroe, but how is a simple equation like that too complex? It's  (population)*(base rate*environment mod) each tick. Much simpler than trying to figure out carrying capacities and comparing birth/death rates, taking things to powers, and all that. Even simpler than finding a random factor of growth each turn."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 05, 2016, 12:30:53 pm »

"I'm not sure why you're voting on something that isn't even a full proposal, Munroe, but how is a simple equation like that too complex? It's  (population)*(base rate*environment mod) each tick. Much simpler than trying to figure out carrying capacities and comparing birth/death rates, taking things to powers, and all that. Even simpler than finding a random factor of growth each turn."

"Murn03....lik3s...0pposing...things........Anyway....you....3xpect....each...rac3....t0....becom3....massiv3....3mpires....corr3ct??? .....At...th3...v3ry...least....you...can...s33..them...living...in...more...than...0n3...bi0m3???...This...w0uld...requir3...k33ping...
tr4ck...0f...wh0...lives...in...what....which...is...difficult...wh3n...th4t...answ3r....is..."a....c0ntin3nt...."...0r...b3tter...y3t...."A
...pl4n3t"....."

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 05, 2016, 12:34:07 pm »

Xenia turns into a gas and mingles with the atmosphere of Batshorthsech.

"That's enough sulking now brother Axt. Hiding away in this ball of gas doesn't help anybody."

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 05, 2016, 12:58:28 pm »

Support the map proposal
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 05, 2016, 01:17:53 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1060 on: May 05, 2016, 01:28:26 pm »

"Murn03....lik3s...0pposing...things........Anyway....you....3xpect....each...rac3....t0....becom3....massiv3....3mpires....corr3ct??? .....At...th3...v3ry...least....you...can...s33..them...living...in...more...than...0n3...bi0m3???...This...w0uld...requir3...k33ping...
tr4ck...0f...wh0...lives...in...what....which...is...difficult...wh3n...th4t...answ3r....is..."a....c0ntin3nt...."...0r...b3tter...y3t...."A
...pl4n3t"....."

"The biome level could be averaged for large, contiguous empires. Presumably a large empire would eventually render hostile environs less so, and deplete more plentiful ones."
GM of Trespassers V2.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 05, 2016, 01:38:28 pm »

...pl4n3t"....."

"The biome level could be averaged for large, contiguous empires. Presumably a large empire would eventually render hostile environs less so, and deplete more plentiful ones."

"Th3n...3verything...w0uld...av3rage...0ut....t00...0n3....anyway...assuming...bi0m3s...ar3...distribut3d....decently...it...
b3c0mes...pointless...0therwise...it...would...actively...lower...th3...birthr4te...of...empires...because...the...n3gative...penalty...
is...s0...much...higher...than...the...b0nus..."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:40:10 pm by Stirk »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1062 on: May 05, 2016, 01:41:02 pm »

"Th3n...3verything...w0uld...av3rage...0ut....t00...0n3....anyway...assuming...bi0m3s...ar3...distribut3d....equally...it...
b3c0mes...pointless..."

"Not necessarily. A continent, or, in the future, a planet, might be unusually hostile or fertile overall. You also have creations, such as my own Keardai, that will preferentially settle in difficult terrain as to avoid competing with others. It also retains the effects on smaller populations, who would be the most affected by their environment."
GM of Trespassers V2.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 05, 2016, 01:49:21 pm »

"Th3n...3verything...w0uld...av3rage...0ut....t00...0n3....anyway...assuming...bi0m3s...ar3...distribut3d....equally...it...
b3c0mes...pointless..."

"Not necessarily. A continent, or, in the future, a planet, might be unusually hostile or fertile overall. You also have creations, such as my own Keardai, that will preferentially settle in difficult terrain as to avoid competing with others. It also retains the effects on smaller populations, who would be the most affected by their environment."

((You monster! You got me pre-derpedit!))

"Mortals...naturally....f0rm....larg3....empires.......Y0ur...Keardai....will...b3...f0rced...to...d3al...with...th3m...eventually....
Eith3r...expanding...th3mselves...0r...p3rishing....
small...p0pulations...b3com3...big...p0pulations...quickly...with...y0ur...rul3set....
b3sides...it...m3ans...keeping...track...0f...where...everyth1ng....is...l1ving.....
...as...Munr03...said...b3for3...it...is...m0r3...complicat3d...than....hav1ng...a...stand4rd...rul3...f0r...every0ne....
...3ven...without...empires...it...d0esn't...tak3...int0...account...n0mads
0r...rac3s...that...are....thin...and...far...apart...
It...is...c0mplicated...unn3cissary...and...d0esn't...work...well...with...som3thing...lik3...this..."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1064 on: May 05, 2016, 02:10:11 pm »

"How would this system be worse at accounting for disparate races? True, it's more complex than a simple, fixed  growth rate for everyone, but such a system renders the adaptation of creatures to their environment almost entirely pointless.

As far as the problem of rapid growth, well, the numbers aren't exactly carved into stone. They can be changed. I even mentioned myself that a base rate of 10% might be too high."
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 135