Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 99138 times)

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #285 on: July 04, 2016, 07:08:56 pm »

Yep, nestled snugly between Link Between Worlds and Zelda I. I don't know why they couldn't have just brought Vaati back for the... fourth (?) time instead of what reads like a fairy tale without a lesson :v

Speaking of the CD-i games, I always thought that outside of the weird Russian animation and mediocre Zelda II gameplay, the setup of Wand of Gamelon had some interesting ideas in it not seen in the main series games, namely the existence of other countries* and Ganon attacking said other countries.
One could argue that Labrynna was another country, at least in the past when they had a monarchy. Ganon didn't attack them directly however, so the CD-i games are still unique in that regard. It would be interesting to see more developed nations other than Hyrule, assuming that any exist, even if only for lore's sake. For now, though, I guess it's a secret to everybody. :P
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2016, 07:13:01 pm »

Iirc Ordon in TP was technically an independant state that payed tribute to Hyrule.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 04, 2016, 10:15:15 pm »

Ah, I was going to add a footnote about Labrynna (and Termina, and also the place from Oracle of Seasons whose name I can't remember,) but figured it was unnecessary, then forgot to remove the asterisk :v

But I was also thinking about how in the opening Harkinian is planning to offer military assistance to Onkled using the Triforce. It's something a bit more... realistic, I suppose? than the typical Zelda fare. Just something different from the usual portrayal of Hyrule as this 100% isolated place where the Triforce is kept (and, in later games, implied to not be used. Mostly unrelated ,but something I liked about the earlier games was that the lore stated that the rulers of Hyrule used the Triforce to bring prosperity to Hyrule, implications that are more or less totally missing from Ocarina of Time onward.)
Iirc Ordon in TP was technically an independant state that payed tribute to Hyrule.
This is certainly a possibility, but it's not stated outright; Rusl talks about "Hyrule" like it's somewhere else (in the context of Link traveling there to deliver the Ordon Sword to the royal family at the start of the game,) so it's not exactly unlikely, but it's vague enough that it's possible that Ordon is considered part of Hyrule, just not "Hyrule proper" (in the same way that, say, Puerto Rico is part of the U.S., but isn't typically considered a "normal" part of the U.S. due to being a territory.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2016, 07:03:47 am »

Man, that earlier stuff... in that, the triforce is not something you want to actually use because it's something that can fuck with you hard, from what I recall. I still very distinctly remember link growing tusks and becoming massively aggressive after picking up the power one. Was in one of the comics, not the games, but... still. Dunno how prevalent it is in the newer stuff, but there was definitely something of a thread of thought in the earlier about how the triforce had some serious mental side effects going on. Power was the most obvious, but iirc even courage and wisdom would screw with you, never mind the whole thing. Basically not something you use very often/at all, lest you turn into a giant world conquering pig or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2016, 03:17:52 pm »

Ah, I was going to add a footnote about Labrynna (and Termina, and also the place from Oracle of Seasons whose name I can't remember,) but figured it was unnecessary, then forgot to remove the asterisk :v
Holodrum was the one from OoS. I wouldn't count it as an actual country for the same reason that I wouldn't consider modern Labrynna to be a country. They're both more like city-states, with Horon Village seeming even less developed than Lynna City. Termina is certainly another land, albeit an alternate dimension. In that case, we could also count Lorule.

But I was also thinking about how in the opening Harkinian is planning to offer military assistance to Onkled using the Triforce. It's something a bit more... realistic, I suppose? than the typical Zelda fare. Just something different from the usual portrayal of Hyrule as this 100% isolated place where the Triforce is kept (and, in later games, implied to not be used. Mostly unrelated ,but something I liked about the earlier games was that the lore stated that the rulers of Hyrule used the Triforce to bring prosperity to Hyrule, implications that are more or less totally missing from Ocarina of Time onward.)
Yeah, actually making use of the Triforce would be pretty cool. It could also serve as a bit of a deus ex machina, though, given that the Royal Family could just wish all of their problems away. Realistic, but not terribly practical for the story.

This is certainly a possibility, but it's not stated outright; Rusl talks about "Hyrule" like it's somewhere else (in the context of Link traveling there to deliver the Ordon Sword to the royal family at the start of the game,) so it's not exactly unlikely, but it's vague enough that it's possible that Ordon is considered part of Hyrule, just not "Hyrule proper" (in the same way that, say, Puerto Rico is part of the U.S., but isn't typically considered a "normal" part of the U.S. due to being a territory.)
I was under the impression that it was a separate entity, given how Link is specifically referred to as an "Ordonian" once or twice. Seemed a little odd, given how the typical demonym is Hyrulean. However, your Puerto Rico analogy is just as apt.

Man, that earlier stuff... in that, the triforce is not something you want to actually use because it's something that can fuck with you hard, from what I recall. I still very distinctly remember link growing tusks and becoming massively aggressive after picking up the power one. Was in one of the comics, not the games, but... still. Dunno how prevalent it is in the newer stuff, but there was definitely something of a thread of thought in the earlier about how the triforce had some serious mental side effects going on. Power was the most obvious, but iirc even courage and wisdom would screw with you, never mind the whole thing. Basically not something you use very often/at all, lest you turn into a giant world conquering pig or somethin'.
Never actually read those comics, but that sounds really interesting. I doubt that we'd ever see anything like that in the games, unfortunately, since it's already been established that if Link is going to change into something, it's going to be a wolf or a skeleton fluffy pink bunny.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2016, 03:24:14 pm »

Well, we don't know that. Link turned into a bunny because of Ganondorf's influence over the Dark World (Spirit Realm, IIRC), and he turned into a wolf while in Twilight because Triforce of Courage and goddess shenaniganery. Neither of which are, in fact, innate effects from the Triforce. Where was the skeleton from, again?

A Beast Link in the vein of Beast Ganon is really interesting, though/
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2016, 03:46:28 pm »

At the end of the game, Link grabs the Triforce of Power and becomes a beast. In the sequel, you play as a newly resurrected Ganondorf on a quest to stop Link.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 05, 2016, 04:54:06 pm »

I am curious, though, why Termina would be considered an "alternate dimension".
- For starters, almost everyone there looks exactly like someone from Hyrule with no explanation (in two cases, different people in MM are the same person at different times in OoT); this was, of course, part of the developers' gambit to get a sequel to OOT out before their deadline, but is never explained ingame
- Link arrives there after a rather trippy sequence involving turning into a walking coconut and flying over an inexplicable bottomless pit full of trees
- No Terminians indicate that they've heard of Hyrule, and the Terminians are awed by Link's usage of magic that nobody thinks twice about in OoT (also IIRC the only place the Triforce is seen in Majora's Mask is upside-down in Stone Tower Temple)
- The only person other than Link who is the same person they were in OoT, the Salesman, is explained even less (why did he have Majora's Mask in the first place? Why does he sit in the Clock Tower all day instead of actively try to help Link? Why is his memory time-reset-proof?)
- Termina is also full of even more weird, anachronistic technology than OoT Hyrule has
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 05, 2016, 05:10:29 pm »

Aye. I've always wondered what the hell was up with that Salesman, though... I kinda want to see him in another game or two.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 05, 2016, 05:29:20 pm »

You forgot the giant pit full of masks with the Song of Healing playing that happens before being turned into a walking coconut.
Skeleton is from Twilight Princess; that helpful skeleton who teaches you sword moves was a former Hero of Time.
Oh, right, Super Saiyan the Spirit of the Hero. I don't really consider that a transformation since he's dead and only "alive" to teach the new Hero how to stab people that are on the ground.
Black lives matter.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 05, 2016, 05:30:06 pm »

And the weird twist corridor.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2016, 05:39:02 pm »

Also that the manual for the game blatantly calls it a parallel world, that it was created by the Four Giants instead of the Three Godesses or Hylia, and that the Four Giants, Majora, and Termina have never been mentioned previously or after in any canon game whatsoever.*

*No, I don't count the Mask being in ALBW.
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 05, 2016, 05:43:01 pm »

*No, I don't count the Mask being in ALBW.
Wait what

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 05, 2016, 05:44:44 pm »

nobody ever mentions it during the game but it's on your wall
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2016, 12:36:14 am »

Spooky.

Would like to see some more of Termina though.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 69