Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: The Fallen Sky: Training Round 1, Eliminated Squad 2  (Read 15203 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fallen Sky: Training Round 1, Turn 0
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2016, 07:32:08 pm »

There's a good chance that the M8 is stuck in mud. I agree the ASU should continue forward toward the M8 while the M18 pulls east and flanks around, keeping an eye out for the Comet.

I don't think I want Hermia around when one of these guns goes off.

Proceed with the above plan. "Tray close in before firing, eyes open for the Comet!"

"...please."

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:08:37 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2016, 11:34:06 pm »

We have binoculars, don't we? Can't we use those to see more details? Perhaps someone really should peek out for a better look. I volunteer, if no one else will.

Also, let's be very careful about our moves, here. They could be decoying us with that M8 and the Comet is hiding on our side of that open ground, ready to swoop in and hit us from the flank. A tank spotted all the way across an open field is a juicy target. Perhaps a bit too juicy? I mean, the ASU-85 can only fire forwards, so if it advances and gets stuck in the open... we're kinda screwed.

If I'm the one looking out with the binoculars, I scan the area around the M8 for the Comet or anything else out of place. If I don't see it there, I check the field and everywhere else in a 90-degree cone centered on that blob of olive drab.

If not, or if we really are going to move now instead of actually taking time to scout, then I stay on the gun, seeing what I can with the scope.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:35:45 pm by Xvareon »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2016, 11:41:24 pm »

I was thinking that but it's marked as 'M8' on the map so I kind of assumed. Have the M18 stop momentarily and use binoculars, try to keep a low profile to avoid being sighted while trying to see the M8.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2016, 02:05:38 am »

"The Greyhounds either stuck or doing a very dangerous bait. I'm not sure that they would just leave it there in open sight."

"Unrelated to that, The ASU-85's starting to smell way too much like gasoline. I can't put that off for much longer."

"Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone? I'll get on top to check the engine compartment, and recon the object with binoculars while I'm at it."

If no one objects, then check the engine compartment while recon-ing the object to see if it's the M8.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2016, 02:15:07 am »

City of Irrowskurn, 2330 Orbital Time, Day 140, 79 A.E.

I was thinking that but it's marked as 'M8' on the map so I kind of assumed. Have the M18 stop momentarily and use binoculars, try to keep a low profile to avoid being sighted while trying to see the M8.

You look using binoculars, getting a better look at the splotch. [n/a] It's hard to fail; that's an M8 Greyhound alright. Or at least the top of it. The lower part is covered by the grass, so you're not sure what's happened to it. Given the fact that it's been 30 minutes, you'd think they'd all be camping next to it or something.

"The Greyhounds either stuck or doing a very dangerous bait. I'm not sure that they would just leave it there in open sight."

"Unrelated to that, The ASU-85's starting to smell way too much like gasoline. I can't put that off for much longer."

"Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone? I'll get on top to check the engine compartment, and recon the object with binoculars while I'm at it."

If no one objects, then check the engine compartment while recon-ing the object to see if it's the M8.
Raioyris already identified the Greyhound.

You step out and open the grate on top of the ASU-85's engine bloc. [Difficulty: 1] As it turns out, there was a small fuel leak near one of the cylinders. You have the driver power down for a moment so you can safely tape it over. It's a trivial task.

We have binoculars, don't we? Can't we use those to see more details? Perhaps someone really should peek out for a better look. I volunteer, if no one else will.

Also, let's be very careful about our moves, here. They could be decoying us with that M8 and the Comet is hiding on our side of that open ground, ready to swoop in and hit us from the flank. A tank spotted all the way across an open field is a juicy target. Perhaps a bit too juicy? I mean, the ASU-85 can only fire forwards, so if it advances and gets stuck in the open... we're kinda screwed.

If I'm the one looking out with the binoculars, I scan the area around the M8 for the Comet or anything else out of place. If I don't see it there, I check the field and everywhere else in a 90-degree cone centered on that blob of olive drab.

If not, or if we really are going to move now instead of actually taking time to scout, then I stay on the gun, seeing what I can with the scope.

[d6:- +1 (focused search)] You scan around with the binocoulars, looking for the Comet. You can safely conclude that there's nothing out of the ordinary, just some mounds, shrubs, and a lot of grass. You can't see anything in the swamp, though. Not from this distance.

(I'm gonna start hiding observation rolls from now on)
[d8:-] Ayn takes a quick glance around and notices nothing, for what it's worth.
[d6:-] Shirou also climbs up to look. He thinks he sees an object moving very slowly toward the west, to the south of your tanks, in open field. It's difficult to cleanly resolve, even with binoculars. It is very far away.

You are SQUAD 3. Scale: 100m per tile.

Spoiler: Terrain (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Watt-Physferus Tanks (click to show/hide)

Ammo:
[45] 76mm Training Shells
[40] 85mm Training Shells
[400] 50cal Rubber Bullets
[2000] 7.62mm Rubber Bullets

Supplies:
[20] Flares (Red, White, Blue)
[81] 3 days worth of sandwiches
[80] Tread links
[100] Welding wire
[99] Bolts, wires, tape, connectors
[500/625 L] 180 km left on Hellcat (225 km max range)
[337/400 L] 265 km left on ASU-85 (290 km max range)

Tools:
[9] Binoculars
[4] Saws
[2] Welding kits, plasma cutters
[2] Torches
[3] Wrenches
[4] Hammers
[9] Shovels
[2] Pickaxes

Healthy
>Hermia is following your general location

Spoiler: Jeremy Nix, AKA NRDL (click to show/hide)

Healthy

Healthy

Healthy

Healthy

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:29:36 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fallen Sky: Training Round 1, Turn 2
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2016, 02:19:45 am »

"South? And slow? That doesn't sound like our Comet. Unless they don't know how to read a map and they have a broke engine."

Unless I don't know how to read a map.

Look at map for big picture of where we are.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2016, 02:24:37 am »

"Should've checked earlier. now the smells going to stay for a while."

"Anyway, that 'object' does seem too slow to be a Comet. It might just be stuck or broken down though, so we should be cautious."

"...wait how'd they even get there?"

Get back in the commander's seat, standing out the top.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:27:18 am by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2016, 02:31:57 am »

"Should've checked earlier. now the smells going to stay for a while."

"Anyway, that 'object' does seem too slow to be a Comet. It might just be stuck or broken down though, so we should be cautious."

"...wait how'd they even get there?"

Get back in the commander's seat, standing out the top.

Even with binoculars, it's hard to resolve. [d6: 4] It's probably not a Comet. It's not sticking up past the grass enough. It might be an animal, they're not known not to exist.

"South? And slow? That doesn't sound like our Comet. Unless they don't know how to read a map and they have a broke engine."

Unless I don't know how to read a map.

Look at map for big picture of where we are.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:35:36 am by _DivideByZero_ »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2016, 02:34:13 am »

"Can't worry much about it then. The Comets nowhere to be seen, so for now the Greyhound is just exposed. Should we take the opportunity?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2016, 12:58:22 am »

While everyone awkwardly stares and looks at each other for answers, Trucy breaks the silence.

"Why don't we send some people to walk over there and see what's going on? It's not like they can shoot us or anything."
"I concur," says Shirou, smiling. "We'd be able to get a better view of their surroundings that way. We might find their other tank."

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2016, 01:01:49 am »

"...good idea actually. I guess I'll take part in it. Anyone else want to try?"

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2016, 01:07:39 am »

((Sorry to have to do this, but I don't think I can keep up with the complexity of the game.  Feel free to kill or NPC me.))
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2016, 01:42:36 am »

((Sorry to have to do this, but I don't think I can keep up with the complexity of the game.  Feel free to kill or NPC me.))

(Complexity as in mechanics? The resources and tools list is just more-or-less homework for me to maintain internal consistency. You don't have to pay much attention to it.

Otherwise it's just tank combat.)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2016, 03:48:15 am »

"They could shoot you though. They have rubber bullets. I've been considering that but I'm not sure you could traverse the distance quickly enough."

I suppose even if the Comet ambushes us we'll still have the upper hand. I mean. As long as Gwydion hits his mark.

"Let's continue with the plan. ASU heads forward. It's true that the ASU is susceptible on the flanks but the M18s open top would be put to better use if it's spotting then charging the enemy. Besides we do have that .50 cal to worry about on the M8."

"Tray I suggest you continue forward."

M18 continues east while continuing to spot, ASU moves closer to optimal gun range to hit the M8.

"What do you think Gwydion?"

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2016, 03:48:39 am »

((Yeah, I'm still just unsure of how I can really contribute anything meaningfully to the game and narrative.  My apologies.))
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14