Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 117356 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #765 on: August 09, 2022, 02:05:52 pm »

Always been a a fan of Night of the Full Moon; loosely speaking, it's in the vein of StS.

It's technically micropay, but mostly for extra game modes and alternate classes that aren't inherently necessary. I think they may have added ad-supported bonus gold, but that's not necessary... Even without its help, I have it 100%'d (other than a class that got added since then).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:49:08 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 09, 2022, 09:40:01 pm »

Best recommendations for offline Android games for a phone? I'm flying out to Europe this evening and I've got 12 hours of flying ahead of me to fill, which will mostly be in airplane mode.

Mostly looking for Strategy type games rather than action games. Wouldn't mind some colony builders or slay the spire types if any good examples of those exist.

Perfectly fine just paying money for the game, I don't really care for micro-transaction based stuff most of the time.

Squarenix releases, probably: Tactics Advance. Trese Brothers games: Star Traders. UnCiv. Uciana.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 09, 2022, 11:42:40 pm »

At least a couple of those could be run on a GBA emulator, too - if they weren't ported to your device.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #768 on: August 10, 2022, 01:18:02 pm »

My list of apps that have lasted through multiple new phones. Free or Freemium that aren't strongly impacted by MTX.

Native Android games:
Polytopia for a Populous-like.
UnCiv for a Civ 4/5-like.
Antiyoy, or any of the other games by the same dev for different takes on simple-ish games. Antiyoy is a Slay-like, but also can be played as straight Slay.
Cyber Knights or a few other games by Corey Trese (sp?) are good turn-based tactical rpgs, reminiscent of early 90s graphical roguelikes.
Mindustry for a Factorio-like game. VERY close in fact.
Majesty, a pretty faithful port of the PC game.

Other
Snes9x for (shocking) SNES emu
DosBoxTurbo or MagicDosBox for DOS (and Win9x if you're willing to deal with that process)
Steam Link for remote desktop to home PC. Probably not so great for general mobile gaming, but, if you dock your phone to a screen and M+K, it's very useful for general gaming if you have a strong internet connection.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 01:20:33 pm by n9103 »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 10, 2022, 06:04:22 pm »

Tower of Fantasy, an eastern Action-MMORPG being commonly compared to Genshin Impact, is getting it's western launch in a few hours. Available on PC and Mobile.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 10, 2022, 07:42:04 pm »

Dungeon Cards. A dungeon/board game where the cells are cards.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 11, 2022, 11:48:32 am »

Tower of Fantasy, an eastern Action-MMORPG being commonly compared to Genshin Impact, is getting it's western launch in a few hours. Available on PC and Mobile.

129 GB install, so probably going to be much larger after updates and expansions? That's huge.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 11, 2022, 01:23:10 pm »

129 GB install, so probably going to be much larger after updates and expansions? That's huge.

My game came to 22.6GB on PC. You might be seeing 12.9 for a mobile install or something?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 11, 2022, 02:26:48 pm »

My game came to 22.6GB on PC. You might be seeing 12.9 for a mobile install or something?

Yeah, it looks like the installer claimed one amount of space, then the game required a different amount? Maybe it's a typo or they're planning for the future.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 11, 2022, 07:59:47 pm »

I've heard some... less-than-good things about Tower of Fantasy.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 11, 2022, 08:51:54 pm »

That reddit post describes gamers finding ways to circumvent Chinese law so that outsiders could play the Chinese version of the game(before it went Global), possibly with aid from the game publisher.

The post also suggests that the publisher paid for some sloppy copy/paste positive reviews of their game. And while paying for good reviews is definitely scummy, it's also widely acknowledged that literally every game publisher does it now, and indeed they have to do it to remain competitive in the current market.

I'm not saying ToF is the perfect game or anything, but nothing in that reddit post makes me second guess my decision to play for even a second.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 11, 2022, 10:31:35 pm »

Still doesn't quite say glowing things about the company. (My last few experiences with PW's online games were also less than stellar...)

How is it though, for anybody that's tried it? The ads caught my eye enough to click, then the contents of them seemed... just kind of uninteresting? Genshin Impact on mobile didn't really do anything for me either though, which suggests that I'm not their target anyways.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 12, 2022, 01:30:00 am »

How is it though, for anybody that's tried it? The ads caught my eye enough to click, then the contents of them seemed... just kind of uninteresting? Genshin Impact on mobile didn't really do anything for me either though, which suggests that I'm not their target anyways.

They've pretty much copied Genshin Impact's formula, to be honest. Action combat with hot-swappable weapons, each with different combos and cooldowns. Landscape that is vast but largely unremarkable. Lots of collectables scattered around. Missions in the daily, weekly, and story varieties. Dungeons and World Bosses that are pretty straightforward grinds for upgrade materials.

I'm a bit turned off by the overwhelming 'free stuff'. Every few minutes of gameplay I look over to see a dozen tabs with little dots indicating that I need to click through the menus to claim rewards for something I did, and it very quickly became tedious.

Still, the exciting action and consistent progress are keeping me engaged and enjoying myself for now.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 12, 2022, 01:41:06 am »

I'll add that here in China, paying for reviews isn't just common - it's an accepted, common-place practice. Some even would say it's necessary, equivalent to paying for ad placement.

The game holds no interest to me either way. Just chiming in.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 12, 2022, 02:39:40 am »

I don’t understand that reddit post.

As far as I can tell, it seems to just be a guy saying that a positive review and players circumventing region locks are… a nefarious scheme by the developer? With literally zero proof?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57