Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Scorchedgravel - Swimming Towards The Next Generation  (Read 16107 times)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Scorchedgravel - Last Dwarfs in The World
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 01:24:25 am »

This is a dark green donkey letter diary. On it is an image of Mistem 'Derro' Tishhislogem the female dwarf.

We're staying! I'm not complaining: turns out Nix found copper, silver, lead and even gold! This place is wonderful: I just know things are going to be okay.

I and Imic have our own bedroom now, which I decorated with a couple of statues. Gwolfski and Nix asked for some too, so I went to the forge and made them two. After that no one has asked me to make anything, though, which is kind of nice. I now spend the day talking to the others and praying to Avuz.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 01:27:12 am »

Hm, right, biomes can be mighty tiny, and volcanic minerals tend to be not aquifer bearing. Z-20....That's what, 170 z-levels?

Did you try deleting the zones before going for burrows?

As for that FB design....
Not just any spiderdragons, either. Digging spiderdragons. Of steel, hopefully?

...I do have a bit of fascination with them, admittedly :p Maybe I'll do like PatrickLundell said when I start modding and write one as start practice.

As far as cart systems go, if you're working under the restriction of not using valid ramps, dwarven push can move cart up/down dozens of levels on non-accelerating ramps (Note to self: Draw an equation for distance given speed and friction for minecarts, then compare the calculations versus reality.) - alternatively, if the speed granted by staying still is the thorn, any number of z-levels across alternating sideways valid ramps (checkpoints ensure no acceleration).

(Though I personally have a quirky irritation of powered minecart applications, even if it can at times increase efficiency/death-dealing by fourfold :p I'll have to get over my dislike of rollers someday XD)

Hm, Derro raises an interesting question about material preferences *goes back to reread the starting 7*
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:29:00 am by Fleeting Frames »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 01:38:53 am »

Correction, it was actually a flea: . Still, I already incinerated one fortress this year, I rather not do the same with Scorchedgravel ...

It's actually a single-biome map according to the embark screen; no overlapping. I was actually somewhat surprised I didn't hit the aquifer when I dug the bore shaft; I've had the site finder be wrong about there being an aquifer when there wasn't one, or I got lucky and hit an ore vein on the way down and went through it. The entire embark is ~200 Z levels; The "ground-level" is Z-129,  the top of the map is Z-159 and goes to -29.

The statues in the rooms right now are brass or billion, I smelted some earlier. I can't figure out how to commission a specific statue with the couples on it though; the 'd' screen is confusing even by DF standards; also bug, you can't commission clay statues :/.

EDIT: Turns out I have the metals or their ores our couples like (I actually have a bunch of rose gold, I love the metal in real life so I tend to smelt a bunch in game). If I can manage the 'd' screen, each couple will get a statue out of the material they like.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:48:30 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2016, 01:47:40 am »

Heh. The shortest time for me to lose a fortress was when some fire imps came from volcano after small irrigation project on embark and I sent military to kill it. Fire imps throw fireballs at military, civilians won't finish off unconscious fire imps. Fun.

Also, it may be single-biome map on embark selection, but my latest medium-term test embark has Fonio according to region-pops and isolated small biomes (about 100 tiles), despite the closest tropical savanna being entire region tile away. Biomes are far more disparate than pre-embark view suggests.

Preferences (I didn't expect you to make reply so soon!)
Solon:
Sterling silver (tetrahedrite) cabinet

Sodel Rulbim:
Pig Iron statue of The Earthen Gem

Rigoth Othilmorul:
Billion statue of water buffalo.

Mistem Tishislogem:
Rose gold coffin/statue of donkey/giant bluejay.

Kobuk Kelmesir:
Perhaps bismuth bronze statue of yak. Brought any bismuthine stones for building materials on embark?

Otherwise, might need for visitor to bring it.

Kogan Kelnakuth:
Alas, the first dwarf without satisfiable valuable metal (lead is...Well, Galena is not uncommon). Otherwise, a door or Coyote men statue.

Udil Cattenolin:
Liking nickel makes you the second dwarf to not like anything very valuable. Otherwise, elk men statue seems appealing.

Overall, surprising how everyone likes a metal. Still, none of them likes steel/gold/aluminium/platnium, so  the value of iirc doubling from appeal seems rather undercut from the sheer value of those metals.

At the very least, everyone can get a building in a shape they like.

The clay statue bug is caused by the pottery job being treated as custom reaction, which doesn't get detail specifying.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:50:47 am by Fleeting Frames »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2016, 01:51:38 am »

I've got galena, I just haven't smelted it yet to get any lead. DFhack says there's a small amount of BISMUTHINITE31 Z:  65..99 on the map .. really? 31 stones only? I'll be lucky to get 10 bars out of that.1/4th chance of getting a boulder ... yeah

If I smelt any bismuth bronze, it becomes something that can be demanded in moods which would be bad.

I've actually gotten a surprising amount of wildlife; a bunch of camels just wandered across the surface.

EDIT: Looks like the FB problem took care of itself. It picked a fight with a blind cave ogre. THere's now a !!ogre!! and a dead FB.

EDIT 2: It's been almost a full year and no marriages yet. Just lovers ... I really hope I won't have to DFhack this ...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:03:29 am by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2016, 03:04:56 am »

Can be demanded in moods, but only once per dwarf, and you have years even to the first one. But that z-level spread is just terrible ^^;  However, melting an ore produces 4 bars per ore by default (see the simple 8 billion from 2 tetrahedrite recipe), so it should average out back to 31 bismuthine bars, with total of 124 bismuth bronze if you dig through 34 z-levels.

The reason I wondered about bringing them at embark is because the cost is same as normal stone, while providing white color deeper check shows no and being rare. Not magma-safe, though...

Also, poor FB. I'm always slightly disappointed when one dies in combat. Dwarven quantum mechanics are always a treat to our minds, though :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:12:59 am by Fleeting Frames »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2016, 03:16:55 am »

Can be demanded in moods, but only once per dwarf, and you have years even to the first one. But that z-level spread is just terrible ^^;  However, melting an ore produces 4 bars per ore by default (see the simple 8 billion from 2 tetrahedrite recipe), so it should average out back to 31 bismuthine bars, with total of 124 bismuth bronze if you dig through 34 z-levels.

The reason I wondered about bringing them at embark is because the cost is same as normal stone, while providing white color deeper check shows no and being rare. Not magma-safe, though...

Also, poor FB. I'm always slightly disappointed when one dies in combat. Dwarven quantum mechanics are always a treat to our minds, though :)

It's only demanded if you actually have smelted it in your fortress; if you've never smelted X, you'll never get a demand for it in moods. Failed moods would be a LOT more common if that isn't the case; how many people keep stirling silver on hand at all times?

Right now, I've almost got 551 played out. If I don't get a marriage by the end of 552, I may have to give up on this project or DFHack in the marriage. I'm a little irritated that these buggers are the last of their kind and refuse to make babies.

I did get another FB; an amber beast floating around in atlantis. I kinda want to kill it cause its the only way to GET amber. Not that you can do anything with it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2016, 05:17:23 am »

Hm. Dame de la Licorne, what does your research say on praying for marriage? I believe dwarves do not talk on jobs.

Dwarves will only talk during green activities now, except not during the temple-related ones, AFAIK.  Anything that occurs in the tavern ("socialize" mainly from what I've seen so far) or any meeting-type area (when displaying "no job") will work, as long as the dwarves involved are standing on the same or adjacent tiles.  When I'm setting up "pre-honeymoon" couples, I only have a 1-tile meeting zone (not usually one of the new designations, I'm still getting a feel for how those really work in this respect, and how quickly) and I turn off all labors for the dwarves involved (with the others doing all the work).  Slow, but I can start getting couples established by the first summer, which speeds up the production of new labor a bit.  My in-game explanation is "they take turns going on break after a long, exhausting, dangerous trip."

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2016, 05:47:13 am »

Hm. Dame de la Licorne, what does your research say on praying for marriage? I believe dwarves do not talk on jobs.

Dwarves will only talk during green activities now, except not during the temple-related ones, AFAIK.  Anything that occurs in the tavern ("socialize" mainly from what I've seen so far) or any meeting-type area (when displaying "no job") will work, as long as the dwarves involved are standing on the same or adjacent tiles.  When I'm setting up "pre-honeymoon" couples, I only have a 1-tile meeting zone (not usually one of the new designations, I'm still getting a feel for how those really work in this respect, and how quickly) and I turn off all labors for the dwarves involved (with the others doing all the work).  Slow, but I can start getting couples established by the first summer, which speeds up the production of new labor a bit.  My in-game explanation is "they take turns going on break after a long, exhausting, dangerous trip."

-Dame de la Licorne

They became lovers when they were "no job" idling like older versions, and all four dwarfs show "Recently spoke with a lover". It's possible marriage requires a green/purple activity now though. I'll put a meeting room in their bedrooms and see if it does the trick. I'm also about to fire my miner for being an idiot when channeling out the well.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2016, 06:44:34 am »

FINALLY!

I was fiddling with their histfig flags so I dunno if I triggered something, or burrow liberation is what did it but I've got married couples. The game no longer pauses and recenters out of the box.

EDIT: Checked with DFHack. Nix is already pregnant. Gwolfski does good work :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:53:55 am by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2016, 07:20:11 am »

This is a masterwork dog leather journal owned by Kogan 'NCommander' Kelnakuth. On its covered is adored images of seven dwarfs. The image related to the founding of Scorchedgravel, the last Dwarven settlement.

Spring-Summer 551

So, good news, bad news, worse news time overseers log:

The good news is my matchmaking is starting to pay off.

With luck, Imic and Gwolfski will marry and start their own families. I've given them plenty of downtime to get to know each other more properly. I'm happy for Imic even though I kinda liked him ...

With luck, dwarven kind will continue and flourish. Perhaps we'll hear the pitter patter of little beards in the near future.

As such, I've had a new hospital laid out, and a cistern for water carved out so we'll be ready for delivery.

Ryukan, finding his occupation as a carpenter rather useless has taken up a pick and started carving as Nix is currently on her honeymoon. Hopefully as our CMD, she'll approve of the new hospital.

Bad news:

We're drowning in turkeys. Since my last entry, two more clutches hatched. We've got so many birds running around that I can't see the floor anymore. We're all working on trying to get them caged and butchered, but I can feel time slowing down being around so many birds.

Course, worse news time.

I wanted to get a better idea of our cavern situation since its likely the only source of wood we'll have for the foreseeable future. As we looked down the tunnel down, we saw this.

We aren't getting into the cavern two any time soon. In good news, the butchering continues at pace, and Scorchgravels turkey population has been greatly curtailed ... right up until the peacocks decided to contribute.

Son of a bitch.

Autumn 551

Give and take is very much the theme of this year:

I was wrong, a blind orge took out "Shelly" when no one was looking. A good chunk of the cavern is on fire, but other than that we're OK. Just as I was considering a way to harvest the wood in cavern one, this came along.

So much for that idea. Maybe we can consider cavern 2-

Fuck.

Late Autumn 551

We have a buzzard problem.

I have a buzzard solution

Winter 551

I want to say the hospital construction is going smoothly. I really do. I'd be lying

Ryukan has been somewhat a disappointment as a miner. I mean yeah, she cleved the stone away, but nearly killed himself twice in the process, and when channelling out the well ... well look ...

At least she hasn't managed to kill herself

Spring 552

Hard to believe its been two years. This is starting to become home. No one beside some tentacled horrors below have found us. The halls might be cramped, the miasma might be annoying

But frig, its home. I just hope Imic, Nix, Gwolfski, and Derro come back from their honeymoons soon. Tournesol and Ryukan are fun, but you know, I miss having us all together in the tavern :/

Summer 552

Damn, a year and a half honeymoon. I'm impressed. Nix is reporting she's already got a passenger on board too!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2016, 07:45:35 am »

It's possible marriage requires a green/purple activity now though.

I don't think so (I've never seen anything that might be related, anyway).  I've had dwarves get married anywhere from a month to a year after becoming lovers (some of it may be how busy they are).  Some very occasional couples seem to skip the "lovers" state entirely (or at least, my OCD checking doesn't catch them in it before they marry).

I haven't requested a dwarf yet, so please add me: Lotu, preferably as a blacksmith or metalcrafter.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2016, 07:49:40 am »

Boo
is dwarfingallowedhere?

Somehow I missed this post, and yes it is, pending availability. I've added you to the list, but you won't get anyone until a baby pops out.

I don't think so (I've never seen anything that might be related, anyway).  I've had dwarves get married anywhere from a month to a year after becoming lovers (some of it may be how busy they are).  Some very occasional couples seem to skip the "lovers" state entirely (or at least, my OCD checking doesn't catch them in it before they marry).

I haven't requested a dwarf yet, so please add me: Lotu, preferably as a blacksmith or metalcrafter.

-Dame de la Licorne

Added to the deferred list, but due to your rock solid contributions, I'll give you the first baby that drops out.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2016, 08:00:26 am »

That's a fair bit of FBs. Going to get the spider and make a zoo of the other ones?

That's really peaceful for year and half, though 3 dwarves are rather limiting. Is the hospital next to forges for magma mist training?

....I thought buzzards were bugs, but they're actually less annoying keas. Huh. Difficult to weaponize, however.

And nice marriages. Normally, being about to be married with horror from the deep lurking behind a corner would be a death flag, but dwarven mind knows without understanding.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2016, 08:13:54 am »

That's a fair bit of FBs. Going to get the spider and make a zoo of the other ones?

That's really peaceful for year and half, though 3 dwarves are rather limiting. Is the hospital next to forges for magma mist training?

....I thought buzzards were bugs, but they're actually less annoying keas. Huh. Difficult to weaponize, however.

And nice marriages. Normally, being about to be married with horror from the deep lurking behind a corner would be a death flag, but dwarven mind knows without understanding.

Well to be fair, the civilization is dead, in-game, dwarfs are extinct (the starting seven have no mother/father so the game made them from aether). Being married with death lurking is kinda par the course for this fort.

The hospital location was more a factor that's where the edge of the aquifer is. The well water need to be 2z deep, else the well will scoop "mud laced with water", which causes an unhappy thought and I suspect causes infections as well. I try to get a hospital going ASAP, especially since I plan to do some large digging projects and will likely have a few more cave-ins before I'm done. I had a near miss when I dumped some things in the volcano forgetting about magma mist (I could have gotten a !!dwarf!! by accident).

I'd like to do a few megaprojects with this fort, though I admit dwarf breeding by itself probably qualifies for one as is.

As for the FBs, the amber one isn't TOO scary, just impossible to reach. The spider one though, that's a fortress ender. I've lost squads of military dwarfs to webbers before. When I finally get a military, I expect it to be mostly marksdwarfs. Fortunately, I've gone literial tons of copper for cheap bolts.

Steel is going to be a serious problem for this map though. Not impossible, but def. not easy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:17:02 am by NCommander »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13