Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Long-term plans?  (Read 2561 times)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
Long-term plans?
« on: June 26, 2016, 02:21:01 pm »

I find that without a long-term goal, I get demotivated very easily. Knowing there's some kind of abstract objective to work towards would make the game more fun (and also !!FUN!!), so I've decided to ask the hivemind here for help. Does anyone have any long-term goals they'd like to share?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Long-term plans?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 02:33:17 pm »

- Any mega project.
- Drain the magma sea.
- Conquer the circus.
- Any !!SCIENCE!! project.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 02:39:41 pm »

Capture and breed a pair of dragons (not cave dragons, but legit world-enders)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 02:42:54 pm »

I've tried vjek's one (or ANY mega beast), but I've only ever seen two mega beast total. I've tried to generate worlds with lots of mega beasts (and the associated frequent failure for any civilizations to survive world gen), but the buggers just seem to stay put.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 03:26:21 pm »

Finding them is simplified if you embark on top of them by making a monster island. Though, untamed roc aviary seems even more of a tempting weapon to me.

Here are some ideas, off the top of my head, for long-term fort(s)/projects:
◙ Generational fortress/breeding program. Selection of the fittest! If combined with below, then vamping of the fittest!
◙ Metropolis populated entirely by <x> race, where x is not dwarves. Got Cacame? He needs his subjects.
◙ Walling in targets with long embarks and strong military population. Perhaps embarking on a thin strip of land connecting the goblins conquering everything to the rest of the world, so that they will have to pass through your embark tile - then killing that goblin civ - maybe after they killed the original dwarves?
◙ Killing every kea in the world. Expansion: Killing everything and bringing age of death/emptiness.
◙ Instead of killing the elves by showing your wood and then bitchslapping them, killing elves by sending infected saboteurs back to their forest retreats after they visited your library/tavern.
◙ Embarking under an ocean, in hell, then breaching through the adamantine spires to build a spire reaching to the sky. Dfhack would be necessary to get migrants, though.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 03:44:16 pm »

I generally start out with a project, but it's smaller scale than most megaprojects. Something like 'minecart system to run ore to the forges', which was my last project. Second time's the charm; it turned out to be a better idea to drop everything down many many Z-levels than to cart it down. Just a cart at each end to dump it down, and collect all the dropped stuff up to be piled somewhere useful.
The drop zone wasn't next to the forges, for the sake of health and safety. Can't have the legendary smiths endangered by falling magnetite; best risk a hauler instead.

My next project is an obsidian farm, for the sake of a stonecrafting and masonry industry. My choices are either 'magma pump stack' to get magma up to the water, and to have it useful for goblin/clothing/butchery disposal into the bargain, or to drop the water down to the magma, and set up industry down by the forges.
Experience has taught me one major thing about minecarts, and that is that running them for long trips up and down the fort is a BAD IDEA and murders dwarves randomly.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 03:55:10 pm »

Current long-term project is an enclosed orchard so my dwarves can pick plums without distraction from keas and rocs.  I just finished walling off the third cavern, which required some absurdly tall walls in two locations, so I've just gotten in some practice at building stupidly high walls.

My last couple of forts have been generation forts.  The first one lasted 80 years, but died to persistent crashing + version update.  Then I had 2 recently that didn't last, because the embarks made me unhappy after less than 20 years (a poor booze selection is an entertainment killer for me) so I restarted genning worlds to find an embark that I liked.

Current fort is in 28th year.  I hope to have the orchard done in 2-3 more years.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 06:31:14 pm »

A challenge I am fond of is building my Fortress entirely within the Caverns.  No getting setup first; you dig straight down and either hope you find a large chunk of rock within the cavern to dig out, or quickly wall off a section of open ground and expand from there.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 06:34:38 pm »

I usually integrate my goals in all steps of the process...for instance my goal will be to build everything in a particular style of building (such as ancient greek city layouts). I also usually do something with breeding and venerating families in the colony to create distinguished clans within my fort. If you do it right and breed properly you can make clans perform certain jobs. For instance the original 7 (after marrying) will become my "noble families" while another migrant couple may become my farming family etc. Lowering the growth age of babies helps if the 12 years is too long to do this for you. I tend to avoid taking in more than 20 migrants or so and just create everything from the first 30 or so people.

Thorgrim Grudgebearer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 10:33:46 pm »

Create a undead fortress! Have the upper class (the nobles and useful craftsmen) be vampires and necromancers while the lower class (the soap makers and peasants etc) are cattle used to feed the upper class.   

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 06:21:38 am »

Build an aboveground city that covers the whole embark.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 06:33:18 am »

A challenge I am fond of is building my Fortress entirely within the Caverns.  No getting setup first; you dig straight down and either hope you find a large chunk of rock within the cavern to dig out, or quickly wall off a section of open ground and expand from there.

I'm such a fan of this one it's how I do most forts these days  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 10:31:52 am »

My long term projects is either:

Project A: Build and above ground city composed of "guilds" for various professions and squads.  I've used inspiration from the old MMO EverQuest.  Rivervale is a small town that borders forest for newbies, and an evil biome area.

Using LNP, it's easy to set the population cap limits for each stages of the city.  I have a list of buildings I want to build, and using a population of 20 cap, I can then ensure I have builders focused on what I want to build and not scramble to build more bedrooms from the large wave of migrants. 

So say I finished building my facilities +10 more housing, I save the game and increase the pop cap by +10. 

I even had some success making my own "DM or Quest Master".  I pick my likely commander, and made him Sheriff.  I make up quest to give myself, or the town.  i.e. Gather 40 wood and pile it here (wood stockpile) so the Carpenter can work on making 50 barrels for the winter. 
i.e. Build two guard towers on the each side of the west bridge so we can have the marksdwarves train and guard at the same time. 
i.e. Build a tavern for visitors with a circular ramp leading down to the caverns.

Project B:  Build multiple fortress embarks on the same world-gen, with a goal for each that connect them.
i.e. Build roads and tracks from east to west to connect this region to the mountain home. 
i.e. Build small house with supplies (armor, weapons, food) along the way for adventurers. 
i.e. Build traps for unsuspecting adventurers also.
i.e. Make sure most of the trees are felled on the surface before retiring.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 10:51:38 am »

I've tried vjek's one (or ANY mega beast), but I've only ever seen two mega beast total. I've tried to generate worlds with lots of mega beasts (and the associated frequent failure for any civilizations to survive world gen), but the buggers just seem to stay put.
I've seen megabeasts share caves.  Roc's will share (up to at least 8 in one) and cave dragons up to at least two in one.  Getting 2 normal dragons would be challenging, for sure, but rarely they will share a cave.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 07:15:22 pm »

I have big plans for my current save but those are on hold. With armor wear in the game I figure now's the right time to mine up some candy. Haven't done that in quite some time so fun will be had.
Pages: [1] 2