Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 181919 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #390 on: July 12, 2016, 08:54:17 pm »

Adding: As to levels of government, there's councils (town councils, county councils, etc) which perform Local Government things, but 'top guy' as a goto for an area could well be the MP, if you perceive it as a local problem wirh national consequences, or don't have faith in your council (as a whole) or councillors (all those that cover your particular area).  Makes work for the MP,  but often can be just the MP noting to the respective councillors that the issue has been escalated, for the council-level dealings to be elevated or further ignored, according to perceived triviality or enhancement of observed importance.  Probably the same the world over, in equivalent systems.
That is basically what makes the EU a private club. The European Council is made of governments, not representatives of the electorate.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #391 on: July 12, 2016, 10:23:09 pm »

And the governments are (ostensibly) representatives of their countries. What's the problem? You want a proportionally elected council? I do, too.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 12, 2016, 10:42:59 pm »

I want a council that meets in the shadows, knowing each other only by a biblical codename, their face hidden behind cryptic holographic glyphs , meeting in secret they plan the affairs of states they were never elected in, playing the great game with human pawns and money as a mere plaything.   
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 13, 2016, 01:24:36 am »

I want a council that meets in the shadows, knowing each other only by a biblical codename, their face hidden behind cryptic holographic glyphs , meeting in secret they plan the affairs of states they were never elected in, playing the great game with human pawns and money as a mere plaything.

Countries with 1, 4, and 5 exist, but codenames tend to be varied and blurring faces with cryptographic glyphs is odd.

Unless you live in a world where half the people are cyborgs, the illuminati are everywhere, and large corporations vie for world domination, correct? :P
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:26:39 am by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 13, 2016, 04:46:52 am »

That is basically what makes the EU a private club. The European Council is made of governments, not representatives of the electorate.
Then what are(/were) MEPs?

(e: Yes, not the EU Council, but then that's not a legislative body, perhaps more comparable to Whitehall than parliament or even cabinet.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 04:50:27 am by Starver »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 13, 2016, 05:04:01 am »

Do you want to get aliens? Because that's how you get aliens.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #396 on: July 13, 2016, 08:18:14 am »

If it's called the shadow council, I'd support it for about 10 days before disappearing

Also in other news, Cameron got a standing ovation for his greatest achievement: Resigning

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 13, 2016, 08:38:32 am »

(e: Yes, not the EU Council, but then that's not a legislative body, perhaps more comparable to Whitehall than parliament or even cabinet.)

The European Council is a semi-regular meeting of head of states and governments. The Council of the European Union is made of ministers from the member state and acts as the upper chamber of the European legislature.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 13, 2016, 09:37:05 am »

The European Council is a semi-regular meeting of head of states and governments. The Council of the European Union is made of ministers from the member state and acts as the upper chamber of the European legislature.
All basically elected or electee-appointed, then (suspecting that Her Majesty isn't called upon, and I see upon checking that for us it was the PM for the EC). The voice of the people, although maybe as muffled by governmental compromises as much as the country itself muffles itself in its own top-tier.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 13, 2016, 03:25:56 pm »

(A doubleposting, but time passed and subject changing made it hard to justify an Edit To Add.)

Looks like Boris (inexplicably, except as some kind of sop to some kind of people) is now Foreign Secretary...  That's the headline, but there's other strangenesses in there (Rudd famously dislikes Boris, ad now is Home Secretary, Hammonds publuc spending reputation is opposed to the progressive noises that May has made, etc) that makes me think there's quite a lot of experimentation being laid out, and perhaps room for failure to permanently weed out the prematurely ambitious and make opportunities for others.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 13, 2016, 03:52:27 pm »

That's... vaguely amazing, in the worst way possible. You take someone that spent a large amount of their pre-political career specifically undermining foreign relations, who spent literally years slandering other countries, and put them at what appears to be the head of the foreign relations branch of your government.

Somehow, someone, somewhere, thought this was a good idea. I'm not sure how, I'm not sure who, and I'm not sure from which alternate reality they're managing to communicate from, but they did.

I can only guess for their next hat trick, the UK's government is going to just sink the islands into the ocean and float themselves off to the Bahamas. It seems like a logical progression at this point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #401 on: July 13, 2016, 07:24:56 pm »

Fraser Nelson writes in The Spectator:

Giving Boris Johnson the role of Foreign Secretary is probably the smartest single move that Theresa May will make in tonight’s reshuffle. It could well turn out to be one of the most important jobs in the Brexit era – a job of selling Britain to the world. A job that means explaining what George Osborne could not: that the Brexit vote was the act of a self-confident nation keen to make to friends and strike new alliances.

I travelled w @BorisJohnson to China, India, Middle East & US over many years & despite gaffes/inexperience he was brilliant salesman for UK
    — Pippa Crerar (@PippaCrerar) July 13, 2016

Also quite surprising is that we have a Brexit secretary title, as in a secretary of Brexit

That's... vaguely amazing, in the worst way possible. You take someone that spent a large amount of their pre-political career specifically undermining foreign relations, who spent literally years slandering other countries, and put them at what appears to be the head of the foreign relations branch of your government.
Somehow, someone, somewhere, thought this was a good idea. I'm not sure how, I'm not sure who, and I'm not sure from which alternate reality they're managing to communicate from, but they did.
Yeah this whole post is slander from buzzfeed, absolutely haram

In my experience, Boris is an odd one. He entered Londinium politics with low expectations, everyone expected him to be an incredible failure, and 8 years later the majority of London thinks he did a successful job. As Mayor he appointed talented administrators to do stuff, and I mean that quite literally, as a leader he did not interfere with what his underlings were doing as long as it wasn't trouble. The consequence is twofold, Whitehall is now more powerful because the people he appointed did their job very well, and now Khan will have the team he needs to get shit done. Economically, sure London is successful, but business peeps tend to make stuff successful in London for as long as Mayors don't get in their way, to that end Boris was a blessing. On the crime front, crime has gone down overall (but I suspect this has more to do with digital crime becoming more important), with most focus being on how Boris closed down many police stations in order to fund the procurement of 22,000 body cameras (to avoid the 2011 riots, or similar riots happening in the USA due to ambiguity as to police conduct), and 3 water cannons. The water cannons have never been used and generated loads of flak, and quite recently, Theresa May got rid of them (or put them in the cupboard, I dunno they're out of sight somewhere). On the travel front, Boris promised more than he could deliver, but the bikes, end of bendy buses, improvements of the Underground have all been satisfactory. Congestion has not, and is hellish. Then there was the 2012 Olympics, in which Boris got to spread his mug across international media, in which he utterly excelled with his baffling charisma and promotional instincts like a popularity fungus. Most importantly, he turned the otherwise useless Olympic venues (insofar as they were only useful for the Olympics) into a park and housing zone in a manner that did not leave us like Athens. I still maintain that the quickest way to destroy a country is force them to hold the Olympics continuously until everything is destroyed.

During the Athens Games, one volunteer welcomed visitors to the Olympic Stadium with a loudspeaker announcement that urged them to “Enjoy yourselves. When will we ever see days like these again?”
God damn, it is sad to see Greece as such. Greeks had a taste of great days and watched it all crumble

Anyways Boris spent his columnist career criticizing the European Union, which itself undermined foreign relations by utterly dismantling multilateralism. To that end, top lels
Likewise ending the oil deal with Venezuela was altogether moral
10/10 would elect again if that were legal

I can only guess for their next hat trick, the UK's government is going to just sink the islands into the ocean and float themselves off to the Bahamas. It seems like a logical progression at this point.
Pft, like hell we're ever going to get weather as good as the Bahamas

You know what the marketing slogan for Bahamas tourism is?

"It's better in the Bahamas."

They're not wrong

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #402 on: July 13, 2016, 07:48:04 pm »

People who like dogs should not pretend to like cats

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 13, 2016, 08:03:10 pm »

Larry is apparently staying at 10 Downing Street. Catluminati confirmed; your elections are just a false front.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #404 on: July 13, 2016, 08:32:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mainstream media wants you to believe Cameron likes Larry

DON'T LISTEN TO THEIR LIES, WE'RE NOT SHEEPLE, WE'RE MICE AND MEN
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 126