Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182503 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #450 on: July 19, 2016, 09:08:10 am »

BURN THE WITCH! Nah I saw it linked, posted it here, it got posted around, the internet does that, mostly hurt at LW not noticing the ayyylmao until just recently.

Get's me right here, LW, not here *points at heart*, further down, not here *points at gut*, further down, right here *points at nuts*, that's where. :D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 19, 2016, 10:07:19 am »

The issue with Angela Eagle as I see it is that she's basically a much shittier version of the candidates that Corbyn obliterated in the leadership election last year. Owen Smith at least seems to be promising something new so he probably has a better shot.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 20, 2016, 06:12:33 am »

May has announced that the UK will forfeit it's role as chairman for the EU in 2017, because she wants the UK to be able to focus on the Brexit. Belgium already showed willingness to take their place, last week.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 20, 2016, 06:28:15 am »

May has announced that the UK will forfeit it's role as chairman for the EU in 2017,
It's a Presidency that is being given up. Probably one of those 'five unelected EU Presidents that nobody knew who they are".

(I don' t see how we could have retained this rolling role, actually, but it's not going to help us to give it up unless the next due incumbant in the list wants to show gratitude for moving up the queue, perhaps..  But if things go off in a handcart at the wrong time then it could also be seen as an unwanted honour at that time. Now.. where's my time machine?)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 20, 2016, 06:48:06 am »

We haven't even started formally leaving, and already our sciences are beginning to feel the effects.

My uncle works in a project that monitors the health of the coastal waters around the UK, monitoring microfauna and microflora mostly, with the aim of developing maps that tell shellfish fishermen which areas will have toxic shellfish and which won't (shellfish are filter feeders and pick up toxins from their food that can make them illegal to sell once caught), and he informed me that there's already some issues with Brexit affecting funding for them.

Been hearing similar stuff from the other scientists I know, including a few of my university lecturers who study stuff like climate change and monitor biodiversity, as well as from a smattering of the students I know who got into various scientific positions after graduating.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 20, 2016, 06:53:16 am »

May has announced that the UK will forfeit it's role as chairman for the EU in 2017,
It's a Presidency that is being given up. Probably one of those 'five unelected EU Presidents that nobody knew who they are".
Presidency in this case means the same as chairman. The EU president's role is to preside over the meetings and keep structure and order to the debate. The function rotates every half year. It's not an elected position because the person fullfilling the role is already elected. The function is given to the prime minister of the country that has the presidency.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:57:21 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 20, 2016, 07:16:33 am »

Presidency in this case means the same as chairman. The EU president's role is to preside over the meetings and keep structure and order to the debate. The function rotates every half year. It's not an elected position because the person fullfilling the role is already elected. The function is given to the prime minister of the country that has the presidency.
Yes. The point being that it's one of the infamously advertised 'unelected' positions that apparently we have 'no control over'...

(We definitely don't now. Until, possibly, the next time the cycle comes round and we're still "In" and the PM of the day doesn't feel it politic to politely hand it on again, instead.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #457 on: July 20, 2016, 07:17:07 am »

The issue with Angela Eagle as I see it is that she's basically a much shittier version of the candidates that Corbyn obliterated in the leadership election last year. Owen Smith at least seems to be promising something new so he probably has a better shot.
Fair chance he'll still get massacred

(I don' t see how we could have retained this rolling role, actually, but it's not going to help us to give it up unless the next due incumbant in the list wants to show gratitude for moving up the queue, perhaps..  But if things go off in a handcart at the wrong time then it could also be seen as an unwanted honour at that time. Now.. where's my time machine?)
"As first motion of Presidency I dissolve the EU, GG scrubs"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 20, 2016, 07:20:47 am »

I don't think the president is allowed to motion, because he must remain objective, and just preside the meeting.
He can determine however, how much time is alloted to argueing / defending a motion.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #459 on: July 20, 2016, 07:21:26 am »

So basically the OP of every thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 20, 2016, 07:22:52 am »

He can set up the agenda somewhat. I think the actual presiding is mostly done by Tusk.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 20, 2016, 07:26:22 am »

I don't think the president is allowed to motion, because he must remain objective, and just preside the meeting.
He can determine however, how much time is alloted to argueing / defending a motion.
The Marxist position... :P

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 20, 2016, 11:07:28 am »

Just watched a Ross Kemp about poverty in English seaside resort towns, of note was a section where someone mentioned a community describe as the most impoverished area in Britain receiving millions of dollars a year development funding from the EU.
Nigel Farange should expect an angry visit from the Mitchells.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 20, 2016, 11:48:21 am »

I think it's likely the uk will make some effort to continue funding in those areas considering the wide reaching implication of leaving places like that to fall apart and become worse crime problems,  more likely than it is to pickup all the science funding that's lost as a result of leaving the EU. The development funding is way less than the science funding Anyway
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 20, 2016, 12:01:48 pm »

Anyway, that £350m/week [sic] is going to the NHS.  Or it isn't.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 126