Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182505 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1395 on: March 30, 2017, 07:09:02 am »

I'm in favour of an eventual Scottish referendum, but not one right now. Of all the bad times.
To be fair I'd guess there is a pretty solid argument that a referendum should at least wait until the end on the EU-UK negotiations so that Scotland can choose its deal knowing what's on the table.
I mean... why? The actual content of the negotiations are kinda' irrelevant. The problem is that they can be started and gone through with in more or less complete defiance of what your people want. Unless the negotiations include full devolution there's not really anything that can be in them that's going to address that, and the sooner you split the sooner your own negotiations can start.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 02, 2017, 11:26:00 am »

Apparently I was being prophetic when joking about 'sacrifice Gibraltar for a better trade deal' last week.
Spain has made it known that they wish to involve the status of Gibraltar in the Brexit negotiations.

In response, former conservative party leader Michael Howard has said that 'Our PM May is willing and able to defend Gibraltar, like Margareth Thatcher defended the Falkland islands', implying the UK would be willing to enter an armed conflict with the EU over Gibraltar if nescessary.

Furthermore, the Spanish minister of foreign affairs announced that SPain will not object to Scottish EU membership. This comes as a surprise, since Spain itself has issues with parts of the country wanting independence, and has thusfar been against Scottish independence.

The concept plan of Donald Tusk includes the Spanish wish of having a say over Gibraltar: In 1713, the Peace of Utrecht formally added Gibraltar to the British Empire. Donald Tusk's concept plan includes renegotiation of the Treaty of Utrecht. The plans will allow Spain to exclude the conflicted area of Gibraltar from a EU - UK trade agreement, if the UK refuses to sign a bilateral agreement over Gibraltar with Spain.
The government in Madrid already announced that Gibraltar airport can by no means fall under a EU - UK trade agreement.

Unsurprisingly, 96% of the inhabitants of Gibraltar voted against the Brexit.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:28:00 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 02, 2017, 12:06:01 pm »

In response, former conservative party leader Michael Howard has said that 'Our PM May is willing and able to defend Gibraltar, like Margareth Thatcher defended the Falkland islands', implying the UK would be willing to enter an armed conflict with the EU over Gibraltar if nescessary.

That escalated quickly. But does Spain have any legal claim to Gibraltar, seeing as the UK entered the EU with Gibraltar in its possession and thus should also leave with it? Or wait, is Spain even asking for control of Gibraltar, or just giving the UK a(nother) middle finger in the exit negotiations by excluding Gibraltar from them? Likely the Conservatives are doing some macho posturing hoping for the glory days of Thatcher.

In any case, Spain dropping opposition to Scottish EU entry can only fuel the calls for Independence Referendum v2. I'm predicting that before the two years are up, the whole EU implicitly says that an independent Scotland would be guaranteed express EU re-entry.

United Forenia Forever!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 02, 2017, 03:11:38 pm »

The Spanish conservatives are also doing macho posturing. The Gibraltar PM complained that the Spanish goverment waves the status of Gibraltar whenever they want to draw attention away from domestic issues... and he's not very much off-target.

Tbh: I dont think it will get very serious, but there will be a lot of posturing on both sides and things will probably get harder for those living in Gibraltar (and those not living in Gibraltar but working there) as it seems likely that the frontier is going to become less permeable real soon.

Also: it does seem that there was some tradeoff behind the scenes does it not? Aka: no veto to Scotlamd in exchange for veto rights over Gib's status
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 02, 2017, 05:20:23 pm »

Also: it does seem that there was some tradeoff behind the scenes does it not? Aka: no veto to Scotlamd in exchange for veto rights over Gib's status.
Rather puts paid to a Scottish(-Ulsterish?)-Gibraltean breakaway from the one Union to (re)join the other Union.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 02, 2017, 05:22:56 pm »

Best thing May can do is threaten to sell Gibraltar to Putin as a forward naval base.

EDIT: my newspaper's cartoonist on the Brexit:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/foto/bas-van-der-schot~p4368443/#&gid=1&pid=4419371
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:26:12 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 02, 2017, 05:28:28 pm »

Best thing May can do is threaten to sell Gibraltar to Putin as a forward naval base.

EDIT: my newspaper's cartoonist on the Brexit:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/foto/bas-van-der-schot~p4368443/#&gid=1&pid=4419371

Pfft, the horrifically stereotypical Scot should be chained to May, not holding on for dear life.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 02, 2017, 05:32:06 pm »

Heh in my interpretation he's not holding on for dear life, he's being dragged over the edge of the cliff with her.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 02, 2017, 07:21:41 pm »

... is it wrong to be vaguely amused by someone saying they care about the opinion of a group they're pissing on the opinion of? Why would gibraltar's opinion matter then when it didn't before and doesn't now?

Poor guys, though. First being dragged from the union they wanted to remain in, now being used as an excuse to threaten war and facing the likelihood of pretty severe economic repercussions regardless. Critters probably don't have a win condition for this one.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 02, 2017, 07:51:05 pm »

Recently, at least, California consistently votes Democrat. Would it be surprising to you if a Republican coordinated disaster relief for California? Or threatened to defend it were it invaded?
Well, Republican politicians openly talk about their contempt for California and how they hope its people will suffer from their various problems, and the party made Chris Christie a pariah for accepting disaster relief for New Jersey because it was offered by Obama's administration, so....er....
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 02, 2017, 09:07:14 pm »

Those things, maybe not (though some of the GOP political machine...). Those also don't even remotely resemble the situation the UK is saber rattling over. Wossname wasn't saying that shit in reaction to the threat of a land invasion, 'cause the EU didn't even imply it obliquely, much less as directly as that critter did. He was saying military response is on the table if friggin' negotiations didn't go the UK's way. Most of cali would be about seven different kinds of pissed if the GOP tried to pull shit like that, especially over the reps doing something CA was overwhelmingly against.

Not even sure what a proper stateside equivalent would be. Would have to be something ruddy weird involving guam or somethin'.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 03, 2017, 01:32:05 am »

As far as I can tell, EU bureaucrats mostly repeated "We're not going to try to be nice with the UK", not "We're going to screw them over intentionnally". The idea is that they're out to get the best deal for the EU, and the UK chose not to be a part anymore.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 03, 2017, 01:43:21 am »

The idea is to make sure current member states don't get ideas about leaving. It seems the key method in doing so is intimidation.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 03, 2017, 01:51:30 am »

It wont get to war because both the Spanish and the British military are kind of ridiculous at this point, and both posturing conservative goverments are aware of how  if it got to that it would have the majesty of two grannies hitting each other with their purses and making everyone around facepalm.

Furthermore, I'm betting both parts will get strongly worded warnings from their neighbours, if the saber-rattling warms up too much.
Not sure about Trump, though. He looks lile the kind of guy who enjoys bumfights. And Bad Vlad would enjoy it as it would weaken Western Europe even further. But other than that? Not bloody likely

So yeah, everyone chill. Its business as usual.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:55:22 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 03, 2017, 05:14:13 am »

The actions of the EU are sure as heck threatening to British sovereignty, so Britain is more than justified in as much saber rattling as they care to do. Renting out national authority to the EU was always a devil's bargain, now we just get to see if Britain bouncing first means that they end up paying more or less than the rest of the continent.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 126