Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 181932 times)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1470 on: April 18, 2017, 10:03:32 pm »

Good God, it has finally happened. The Daily Mail has quietly turned itself into the Völkischer Beobachter.

Well, the faster this union business is sorted (opinion: not entirely in favour, but I perfectly understand it, and taking back control is something one can always respect), the faster things can return to something more managable. Preferably before someone is killed.

(EDIT: A slight directed squarely against the Daily Mail staff, rather than the current government. They are merely somewhat disagreeable, and one certainly cannot say that the prime minister is not doing what she has promised.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:06:18 pm by Silverthrone »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 18, 2017, 10:07:20 pm »

So has the racism spike gone down in the UK?

I assume it was just an emboldening spike (which shouldn't be taken seriously)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 18, 2017, 10:15:55 pm »

No, Neo, we're all still as racist as ever.

I was being serious...

Did you know that Nazis back Donald Trump... Do you think Donald Trump is a Nazi or in anyway responsible for them?

Unless you are trying to defend the UK and suggest they have no racism or problems with racism... which suggests the exact opposite (that they have "naturalized" racism, to the point where anti-race sentiments are shrugged off as a normal viewpoint)...

An advert for a famous pizza brand showed a black child briefly in a crowd scene in an advert last month, and we immediately began a boycott

Anti-Black sentiment is more typically American than UK. What the UK shares with the US right now is heightened Islamophobia. Though it is expressed differently...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:21:37 pm by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 18, 2017, 10:20:57 pm »

No, Neo, we're all still as racist as ever. Non-whites only scurry out of doors under the cover of darkness, or with hoods concealing their faces, because they know otherwise the roving gangs of Brexiteers will attack them en masse.

We're also making significant progress purging them from the public eye. An advert for a famous pizza brand showed a black child briefly in a crowd scene in an advert last month, and we immediately began a boycott. They issued a public apology and have resolved to use only white, British, 100% Celtic blood actors in all of their advertisements from now on.
A shame, given the single greatest contribution to British culture came from a black Brit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:33 pm »

No, Neo, we're all still as racist as ever. Non-whites only scurry out of doors under the cover of darkness, or with hoods concealing their faces, because they know otherwise the roving gangs of Brexiteers will attack them en masse.

We're also making significant progress purging them from the public eye. An advert for a famous pizza brand showed a black child briefly in a crowd scene in an advert last month, and we immediately began a boycott. They issued a public apology and have resolved to use only white, British, 100% Celtic blood actors in all of their advertisements from now on.
A shame, given the single greatest contribution to British culture came from a black Brit.

Ok, I love him!

Anti-Black sentiment is more American than UK. What the UK shares with the US right now is heightened Islamophobia.

You know, I saw an article the other day that said people who read the news are more likely to be Islamophobic. I laughed out loud.

I... wouldn't doubt it. In fact it kind of makes perfect sense.

---

No but really did the spike finally level off? Because it was concerning...

I suspect it leveled off... like... a month after the vote... so yeah I am asking a REALLY old question.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 18, 2017, 10:31:29 pm »

Right. Well. I shall say it. A degree of Islamophobia does not seem to be entirely unwarranted, nor unreasonable, judging by events both recent and long-term. Well, at least in regards to the very real troubles caused by very real Islamists. #NotAll-etc., naturally, but in the current climate, I do not believe it is terribly unreasonable with a degree of mistrust. Of course, subject to application and care, slight, warranted suspicion gives no one any right to mistreat another simply on a vague suspicion that they might the one of the bad eggs.

Anti-Black sentiment is more American than UK. What the UK shares with the US right now is heightened Islamophobia.

You know, I saw an article the other day that said people who read the news are more likely to be Islamophobic. I laughed out loud.

Well. Not particularly strange. Rather lol-some indeed.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 19, 2017, 02:35:08 am »

You can hate Isis and radical Islam without hating Jamal at the curry shop, you know.

There's a difference between "We need to stop radicalisation of the young, the spread of ISIS, and the importation of cultural ideals incompatible with modern society" and "Don't trust the ragheads"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 19, 2017, 04:07:40 am »

Yes? You're not going to find any objections to that statemeny among people critical of Islam. It's the "any criticism of Islam is racism!" crowd that's going to have a problem with it.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 19, 2017, 05:07:35 am »

You can hate Isis and radical Islam without hating Jamal at the curry shop, you know.
Or Mr Singh, proprietor of your corner shop, or the Wus who do the absolute best sweet'n'sour pork, and that guy at the 
Polski Sklep I Kawiarenka Internetowa whose name you never can remember because it's a funny spelling... Mazur?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1479 on: April 19, 2017, 05:51:56 am »

I am backing independence for Scotland, and my main reason for that (self-determination) kinda has me on the fence in terms of Brexit. I like the idea of Europe, but it is like most political things nice looking on paper but in practice, a bit shit. I also don't know that much about EU machinations to shift myself off the fence, one way or t'other. This on a conscious level, anyway.
As I say, my gut likes Europe, and doesn't like the Tories. Thus, a Tory-led charge away from the mainland doesn't sit comfortably.
Presently my desire for Scottish independence is kept separate from my feelings regarding Europe, until I can reconcile them. Which probably won't happen since I'm lazy.
If Jezza was leading Brexit would you still have the same opinion? Also in your opinion, is self-determination irreconcilable within the UK? Pardon my questioning, we've not had much in the way of SNP viewpoints in Bay12 since Owlbread up sticks and went, and it leaves me very much curious

So has the racism spike gone down in the UK?
I assume it was just an emboldening spike (which shouldn't be taken seriously)
Analysts have determined that they will never pull the spike down

I was being serious...
Did you know that Nazis back Donald Trump... Do you think Donald Trump is a Nazi or in anyway responsible for them?
Unless you are trying to defend the UK and suggest they have no racism or problems with racism... which suggests the exact opposite (that they have "naturalized" racism, to the point where anti-race sentiments are shrugged off as a normal viewpoint)...
This is troubling news, I had no idea Trump was a Nazi. Now it makes sense why he wants to meet the Queen, he's going to force her to abdicate and pass the crown to the Duke of Farage, the Right Honourable Nigel III

Anti-Black sentiment is more typically American than UK. What the UK shares with the US right now is heightened Islamophobia. Though it is expressed differently...
It's usually expressed during terrorist attacks with suspicion and literal fear of Muslims

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 19, 2017, 06:23:20 am »

I feel uncomfortable about Britishness seemingly being entirely 'explained' by some people here. Even if it isn't seriously intended (and Om knows that I'm not always serious), there's a chance it might be taken as serious.

Just FYI that we're a complex, heterogenous mix of self-conflicting values and opinions so that we're as much in conflict with ourselves as against A. N. Other, so long as the chips (not fries!) aren't actually anywhere near being down, and probably still when they are. And if someone disagrees with this... point proven! :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1481 on: April 19, 2017, 07:08:17 am »

The only thing the British agree on is you walk on the left and stand on the right

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 19, 2017, 08:03:09 am »

Yes? You're not going to find any objections to that statemeny among people critical of Islam. It's the "any criticism of Islam is racism!" crowd that's going to have a problem with it.

Yeah, because you never see people wanting to ban all Muslims immigrants for exemple. That's be preposterous.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 19, 2017, 08:13:27 am »

The only thing the British agree on is you walk on the left and stand on the right
And driving the other way around, the power sockets, the two-faucet bathrooms, electric showers, regarding black pudding as food...

Btw: do British muslims eat black pudding? I just thought that it sounds like something that wouldnt fit dietary restrictions...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 19, 2017, 08:36:00 am »

Yeah, because you never see people wanting to ban all Muslims immigrants for exemple. That's be preposterous.

You're doing that passive agressive thing again.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 126