Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182443 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1545 on: April 23, 2017, 10:07:54 pm »

Well... anyhow there are a few important recipes for integration (I prefer that term to assimilation... and yes there is a difference!). One is education.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-education-cuts-state-school-teachers-budget-buy-pencils-pens-paper-funding-jeremy-corbyn-a7643456.html

Which... apparently isn't doing too too well. From what research I can gather the UK has been trying to improve its school system for a while but has been having a very troubled time doing so.

Oddly enough the issue presented here as "Islamic Schools" was also one of the things that was in the docket of being eliminated if my studies are correct. Not SPECIFICALLY mind you (It actually seemed to be more about trying to change the despairing difference between schools).

---

http://www.esrc.ac.uk/news-events-and-publications/evidence-briefings/immigrant-integration-in-british-society/

•Integration is mainly presented in the media as a one-way process, with the onus being on immigrants to adapt.

Along with this it seems like integration is being dissolved on both ends as the ability of the UK to use its immigrants is weak as well... And because it is weak it means they rely on social services more and bog down other systems... and because they rely on social services more and bog down other systems... they don't integrate as well... which bogs the system... which hurts integration. So on and so forth.

---

So lets shore up the social systems and hold back on immigration so that can be fixed. How much should immigration be cut by?

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016/11/23/brexit-immigration-cut-will-cost-uk-billions-every-year

Ok... interesting concept (I didn't post that to support some other argument, I just thought that was a really interesting POV when looking at things economically). Yet lets talk a little less on "overall economic growth", we are talking about quality of life not quality of wallet. (and yes there IS an article that says the opposite too!)

Uhhh... I actually can't find anything on that subject.

Only that SPECIFICALLY Middle Easterners (and Turkey) should be excluded from immigration... A few say entirely.

I can only guess that not only do no one know but that the problems with the UK are aggravated by immigrants, not created. Like a broken bridge becomes much more apparent when a elephant tap dances across it. So holding back immigrants alone wouldn't fix it, but it couldn't hurt if coupled with a genuine action plan.

Either that or proposing actual cut backs with amounts attached is political suicide.

---

Goodness with this many problems you would think the UK was in a recession

*checks internet* (If I ever do this... I actually have JUST checked the internet, this isn't for dramatic effect)

Ohh... it not only has been in a recession for a bit more then a year in 2008-2009 but apparently the UK is close to another recession that may or may not happen.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:51:31 pm by Neonivek »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: April 24, 2017, 03:21:37 pm »

As for self-determination within the UK, in an ideal world it could happen, but in practice, I don't think it can. Theresa May has been clamouring on and on about how the country needs to pull together, but failed to inform the Scottish government precisely when she was going to trigger Article 50, despite apparently having discussed it with the Welsh government - who voted to Leave, as opposed to Scotland's Remain.
That would be because she was in Wales, talking with the Welsh government
She met the first minister of Wales in Monday morning to talk about the future of Swansea and in Monday afternoon the date set for triggering article 50 was broadcasted to the entire country through the BBC. What are the SNP getting angry about, they weren't kicked out of Westminster - I don't see how Michael Russell hearing the set date for article 50 being triggered a few hours later from the Welsh suggests the UK is doomed to certain balkanization. The Majority of Scots oppose a second referendum while Nicola Sturgeon announced a second referendum without a mandate from the Scottish people, without informing Westminster ahead of time. This is why I think the obstacle to self-determination and Britain versus self-determination sans Britain is the SNP itself - it's creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by going on a warpath regardless of what its voters want. Seems cheeky that Michael can turn that into an insult, without considering what his party's actions look like to the rest of Britain.

I don't see how the SNP don't have a mandate for calling another referendum. Scottish voters overwhelmingly elected an SNP government in 2016.

(As an aside, the only reason they didn't get a majority was because of a quirk of the election system put in place by Westminster, in which the number of regional votes a party receives is divided by the number of constituency seats they won in that region, plus one. There are seven representatives per region, so this continues until all seven are chosen, with the divisor increasing for the parties that receive a regional seat. The SNP won 59 of the 73 constituency seats, hamstringing them a bit in the regional vote.)

The SNP didn't hide from the fact that they lost the 2014 referendum. Sturgeon said they wouldn't campaign for another referendum unless there was a material change in circumstances prior to the last GE in 2015, echoed in their manifesto for the 2016 Scottish election, and again her speech following the EU referendum results. Even then it wasn't a staunch demand for another referendum immediately, she just said that this meant that a referendum was back on the table of options for Scotland. It took until March - 9 months after the EU referendum - for the SNP to bring a vote to the Scottish parliament on a second independence referendum, during which time the UK government ignored their offer of a compromise.

Seems a bit petty, and a little bit hypocritical after May's call for a grown-up relationship between the UK government and the devolved administrations. Further cheekiness from that, when she says she wants the relationships built on "cooperation and consensus" but just outright rejects Scotland's demands to remain a part of the common market as well as the UK. Also the whole "we need to focus on Brexit, you can't have your referendum. We're having a general election, by the way" thing, which essentially wastes two months of your two year negotiation process aimed at disentangling the UK from the past 40+ years of EU law and regulation.
There's nothing cheeky about rejecting the demand that Scotland remains a part of the single market and the UK, it's not a demand that can legally be satisfied:
There was further bad news for the SNP when Elmar Brok, a senior member of the European Parliament, also said there could be “no exceptions” to allow Scotland to remain in the single market.
The German MEP, chairman of the parliament’s foreign affairs committee, told BBC Radio Scotland: "We cannot have two agreements with the United Kingdom and with Scotland.
While it would be pretty awesome if the United Kingdom could simultaneously be an independent non-member of the European Union whilst a member of the European Union, it's not possible, nor do the European Union negotiators want to create such an exploitable precedence. In regards to EU law and regulation, the plan has been from the start to transfer EU law and regulation, thus causing no chaotic rush to disentangle 40 years of regulation; there is no issue there. The focus is very much regaining executive authority over how we run our country before deciding exactly what goals and how we run the country will be set.

My expert says otherwise :P

I didn't say it would be easy, and neither are the SNP. It would require a great deal of compromise between Scotland and the UK, and the UK and the EU.

Should you want to read it, the Scottish government's position on Scotland's place in Europe.

It seems that (at least the current) British government considers Scotland a petulant child that needs to be kept in line, but I'm also aware of my huge bias against the Tories and for Scotland.
Cameron's jellyfish crew gave off that tone, what with his whole infamous "pls don't destroy uk to piss off effin tories" speech, I don't see that in the current gov - who are stepping on eggshells since the SNP seems determined to turn anything into an insult with which to use against Britain. Despite the SNP always having a voice in Westminster, despite sending the Secretary of State for Scotland and other Ministers to discuss the future in Holyrood, the SNP then goes on saying it's a great insult to Scotland because Westminster didn't send David Davis - even though they invited him for March 16, the same day he was due to appear in the House of Commons.

He was invited in July and December last year, both times his office said he was busy. He was even offered the chance to have a video conference than have to travel to Edinburgh...

His assistant was offered instead... he backed out too, until after Article 50 got triggered.

The committee in question would be remiss in their duty to examine Brexit and what it means for Scotland by talking to the British minister responsible for overseeing withdrawal negotiations. A duty they can't really perform if he won't talk to them.

I suppose what I'm getting at is what could the Westminster gov do that would not be deemed an insult to Scotland by the SNP?

I think engaging in discourse would be a good start, but it's been almost a year since the referendum, and Article 50 has already been triggered, so it'd be a token gesture if anything at this point.

The SNP aren't saying the Tories should fuck off and die, they want what's best for Scotland, and if the Tories aren't even willing to talk about it... what's the point of Scotland having any say at all?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1547 on: April 27, 2017, 09:42:00 pm »

My sides are now floating in the kuiper belt, thanks a lot.
Orbital space program begins with the launch of sides

I don't see how the SNP don't have a mandate for calling another referendum. Scottish voters overwhelmingly elected an SNP government in 2016.
Looking it up, that solves a lot of my confusion:
The SNP stresses that independence will only be achieved when the majority of people in Scotland want it to happen.
It says the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is "clear and sustained evidence" that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people - or if there is a "significant and material" change in circumstances, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.
I can see where you're coming from, however I have some issues with this. The first and foremost is the assumption that the majority of people in Scotland want it to happen, evidence does not suggest this is the case. The second is that they believe the changing of circumstance gives them a democratic mandate, misunderstanding that a democratic mandate comes from their electorate and not from circumstance. BMG shows the majority of Scots oppose a second referendum, leading me to wonder how Sturgeon came to the conclusion that she can ignore the wills expressed not just by the southerners, but northerners too - seems dodgy twice over. The third is the timing, trying to block Brexit only 2.5 years after Scotland decided no is not justifiable, by what right is that fair or democratic?
The fourth is in her speech:
Quote from: 2015
The first minister went on to say there was a "triple lock" on a further independence referendum, adding: "Before it's inserted in a manifesto, something has to change. Then people have to vote for the manifesto - if it is in it - and then people have to vote for independence."
Before it's inserted in a manifesto, something has to change. Then people have to vote for the manifesto. Yet looking at her conduct, she completely skipped this, failing to provide a manifesto to the Scottish people that said she intended to campaign for a second referendum. I wonder how it is she forgot this? Why is she now claiming the SNP campaign has nothing to do with independence?
Her intervention came as a new opinion poll found support for independence has dropped to 40 per cent and only one in four Scots support her demand for a second referendum between autumn next year and spring 2019.
It's awfully mercenary to recognize that an independence referendum would need to be put before voters in a manifesto only to ignore that when you dislike your voters' intentions.

(As an aside, the only reason they didn't get a majority was because of a quirk of the election system put in place by Westminster, in which the number of regional votes a party receives is divided by the number of constituency seats they won in that region, plus one. There are seven representatives per region, so this continues until all seven are chosen, with the divisor increasing for the parties that receive a regional seat. The SNP won 59 of the 73 constituency seats, hamstringing them a bit in the regional vote.)
That they also didn't get a majority of votes no doubt helps, woe is the south - the SNP won 56 parliamentary seats with 4.6% of the vote, UKIP with 12.6% of votes got 1 seat :P
The pain is real

The SNP didn't hide from the fact that they lost the 2014 referendum.
I'll have you know I have shown extraordinary restraint in making jokes in regards to the whole once in a lifetime referendum every 3 years

It took until March - 9 months after the EU referendum - for the SNP to bring a vote to the Scottish parliament on a second independence referendum, during which time the UK government ignored their offer of a compromise.
When she put indyref2 on the table, it would be little consolidation that she wanted to block Brexit in return. What has Sturgeon ever offered in compromise? Seriously m8 she's compromised on nothing I've seen, even tried blocking the Great Repeal Bill and stopping the triggering of article 50. British when she wants to override the British, Scottish when Westminster needs her help, says Theresa May doesn't have a mandate to Leave the European Union despite Leave winning yet claims to have a mandate for indyref2 or blocking brexit despite not having a mandate.

I think the EU has precedence over experts

I didn't say it would be easy, and neither are the SNP. It would require a great deal of compromise between Scotland and the UK, and the UK and the EU.
That's not a compromise, the SNP would assume de facto full sovereignty despite losing indyref and euroref, England and Wales would remain subject to EU law, sovereignty and would lose control of its borders to the EU. That's not a compromise, that's a list of surrender terms haha, Britain would lose everything despite the British voting against every single one of those proposals

Should you want to read it, the Scottish government's position on Scotland's place in Europe.
Cheers, that was helpful. The Greenland-Denmark example they bring up is not particularly helpful, given that Greenland is a Danish territory, while Scotland is not - the free trade deal the UK is negotiating is for the UK, of which Scotland is constituent. In particular this:
As we set out in more detail later in this chapter, nothing in this proposal prioritises the European Single Market over free movement and free trade within the UK nor places such free movement and free trade on any different footing from presently undertaken. Our proposal would secure for Scotland the benefits of the European single market in addition to – not instead of – free trade across the UK.
Is the critical divergence between Westminster and Holyrood. There is only one way in which Scotland can remain a member of both the UK and the ESM, and that is if the UK is subject to the EU. The only alternative is if Brussels compromises, which they refuse to do. If Brussels allows Scotland to remain in the ESM without the UK, then Britain will able to as a European country, have total free trade with the EU without any of the obligations or sovereignty loss other European countries face in order to have free trade with the EU - simply by exporting to Scotland and from Scotland to the EU. Hence why the EU told us it's not on the table, it would be entirely to our advantage.

He was invited in July and December last year, both times his office said he was busy. He was even offered the chance to have a video conference than have to travel to Edinburgh...
His assistant was offered instead... he backed out too, until after Article 50 got triggered.
The committee in question would be remiss in their duty to examine Brexit and what it means for Scotland by talking to the British minister responsible for overseeing withdrawal negotiations. A duty they can't really perform if he won't talk to them.
From your link:
It is understood UK Government ministers involved in Brexit have been ordered to cancel visits outside London around the March date in case the House of Lords rejects their Brexit plan.
Before article 50 was triggered the UK Brexit plan could have died in the HOC or HOL, meaning neither would have been able to give any answers as to what was going to be, as they had no idea whether the gov's plan would actually go through. I certainly know the SNP haven't been in the dark on this, having seen Salmond yesterday morning in the Parliament Brexit talks, or for that matter trying to kill those plans in the HOC. Thus there is no insult, it would be rather embarrassing to send a top minister with nothing to say, or worse, to say and risk undermining the government whilst negotiating with yurop

I think engaging in discourse would be a good start, but it's been almost a year since the referendum, and Article 50 has already been triggered, so it'd be a token gesture if anything at this point. The SNP aren't saying the Tories should fuck off and die, they want what's best for Scotland, and if the Tories aren't even willing to talk about it... what's the point of Scotland having any say at all?
Westminster is chock full of SNP MPs who've been exceedingly involved in Brexit, if they don't want to have a say in how things are run then they're doing it in an awfully loud way. As to why, it should seem obvious. As we approach negotiations our ministers must have a clear understanding of what industries are at stake, thus all the MPs have been voicing concerns for their local constituents' industries and services needs. If the SNP wants the UK to remain in the EU, Westminster can't deliver on that without becoming arbitrary and despotic, however it can ensure Britain gets a free trade deal that suits Britain and Europe. By not participating, that would make it exceedingly difficult to do a deal bespoke to Britain, there'd be an information blackspot in the shape of Scotland, which is naturally helpful to no one.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 28, 2017, 03:46:45 pm »

Looking it up, that solves a lot of my confusion:
The SNP stresses that independence will only be achieved when the majority of people in Scotland want it to happen.
It says the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is "clear and sustained evidence" that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people - or if there is a "significant and material" change in circumstances, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.
I can see where you're coming from, however I have some issues with this. The first and foremost is the assumption that the majority of people in Scotland want it to happen, evidence does not suggest this is the case. The second is that they believe the changing of circumstance gives them a democratic mandate, misunderstanding that a democratic mandate comes from their electorate and not from circumstance. BMG shows the majority of Scots oppose a second referendum, leading me to wonder how Sturgeon came to the conclusion that she can ignore the wills expressed not just by the southerners, but northerners too - seems dodgy twice over.

The first bit is from 2015, so... not sure of the relevance to now. I'll accept that support for independence is less than support for the union at least from the relatively small sample in the second link. However, that sample does not say that the majority of Scots are against independence. They had to take out the 15% of people who either weren't sure (13%) or wouldn't say (2%) before coming to that conclusion. 15% is a pretty significant margin for error. It was 44% against and 41% for before that.

The third is the timing, trying to block Brexit only 2.5 years after Scotland decided no is not justifiable, by what right is that fair or democratic?

She's a Scottish politician representing the Scottish people. What do you propose she do when her constituents categorically reject something their bigger, louder neighbour is forcing them to do?

Bearing in mind, of course, that Better Together did campaign that the best way for Scotland to lose its EU membership was to vote yes.

The fourth is in her speech:
Quote from: 2015
The first minister went on to say there was a "triple lock" on a further independence referendum, adding: "Before it's inserted in a manifesto, something has to change. Then people have to vote for the manifesto - if it is in it - and then people have to vote for independence."
Before it's inserted in a manifesto, something has to change. Then people have to vote for the manifesto. Yet looking at her conduct, she completely skipped this, failing to provide a manifesto to the Scottish people that said she intended to campaign for a second referendum. I wonder how it is she forgot this? Why is she now claiming the SNP campaign has nothing to do with independence?

Why would it be? It's a British election. Last time out the SNP won 56 of the 59 Scottish seats. What did that say about independence? How will those 59 seats, representing a touch over 9% of the seats in parliament, influence British politics to favour Scottish independence?

Her intervention came as a new opinion poll found support for independence has dropped to 40 per cent and only one in four Scots support her demand for a second referendum between autumn next year and spring 2019.
It's awfully mercenary to recognize that an independence referendum would need to be put before voters in a manifesto only to ignore that when you dislike your voters' intentions.

There was mention of the "material change" in the SNP manifesto for 2016 (on page 23, if you don't care for the rest ;)) with the example used as Scotland being taken out of Europe against its will, which I mentioned in my previous post was something they had been talking about since the 2015 British elections concluded.

That they also didn't get a majority of votes no doubt helps, woe is the south - the SNP won 56 parliamentary seats with 4.6% of the vote, UKIP with 12.6% of votes got 1 seat :P
The pain is real

We went over that at the time :o the SNP won 50% of the vote in the 59 seats they stood in, while the UKIP vote was spread out over the hundreds of seats they stood in.

Also, the Tories got a majority with only 37% of the vote. I'll agree that the British system is worse than the Scottish system :P

The SNP didn't hide from the fact that they lost the 2014 referendum.
I'll have you know I have shown extraordinary restraint in making jokes in regards to the whole once in a lifetime referendum every 3 years

Let's not pretend that the SNP have a monopoly on misleading rhetoric :P

It took until March - 9 months after the EU referendum - for the SNP to bring a vote to the Scottish parliament on a second independence referendum, during which time the UK government ignored their offer of a compromise.
When she put indyref2 on the table, it would be little consolidation that she wanted to block Brexit in return. What has Sturgeon ever offered in compromise? Seriously m8 she's compromised on nothing I've seen, even tried blocking the Great Repeal Bill and stopping the triggering of article 50. British when she wants to override the British, Scottish when Westminster needs her help, says Theresa May doesn't have a mandate to Leave the European Union despite Leave winning yet claims to have a mandate for indyref2 or blocking brexit despite not having a mandate.

As mentioned previously, she's a Scottish politician, Scotland voted to Remain. She doesn't want to block Brexit in return for an independence referendum, she wants the Scottish people offered the choice between leaving the EU and being independent. She doesn't want Brexit stopped, she wants to stop Scotland being dragged out against the wishes of its people.

She said there's no mandate for a hard Brexit, not that there was no mandate for Brexit. This was at a time when it wasn't clear that May was of the opinion that a hard Brexit was the only option, though.

What unreasonable resistance has she offered anyway? There's 56 SNP MPs in parliament, nowhere near enough to have any great influence on anything. They can table amendments, which get voted down by the other 600 MPs. The Scottish government got a say in the supreme court case, but so did NI and Wales. The Scottish parliament rejected Brexit in a purely symbolic vote.

There is nothing that she can reasonably do that will affect whether or not Brexit happens. This doesn't mean she won't fight for what Scotland voted.

I think the EU has precedence over experts

That's not a compromise, the SNP would assume de facto full sovereignty despite losing indyref and euroref, England and Wales would remain subject to EU law, sovereignty and would lose control of its borders to the EU. That's not a compromise, that's a list of surrender terms haha, Britain would lose everything despite the British voting against every single one of those proposals

Cheers, that was helpful. The Greenland-Denmark example they bring up is not particularly helpful, given that Greenland is a Danish territory, while Scotland is not - the free trade deal the UK is negotiating is for the UK, of which Scotland is constituent. In particular this:
As we set out in more detail later in this chapter, nothing in this proposal prioritises the European Single Market over free movement and free trade within the UK nor places such free movement and free trade on any different footing from presently undertaken. Our proposal would secure for Scotland the benefits of the European single market in addition to – not instead of – free trade across the UK.
Is the critical divergence between Westminster and Holyrood. There is only one way in which Scotland can remain a member of both the UK and the ESM, and that is if the UK is subject to the EU. The only alternative is if Brussels compromises, which they refuse to do. If Brussels allows Scotland to remain in the ESM without the UK, then Britain will able to as a European country, have total free trade with the EU without any of the obligations or sovereignty loss other European countries face in order to have free trade with the EU - simply by exporting to Scotland and from Scotland to the EU. Hence why the EU told us it's not on the table, it would be entirely to our advantage.

I will be blunt and say my hope is that the various EU officials know that pretty much any discourse they've had with or about the UK since the result is going to affect negotiations. They can be hard on Scotland because they know there's a pro-independence, pro-EU government in power there, and that the Scots want to stay in Europe. By being hard, they can weaken the UK's position (I imagine it's quite hard to to concentrate with a highland terrier nipping at your ankles, yipping loudly) and potentially strengthen their own.

Taking that into account, I don't think there's anything stopping the EU from amending any of the rules that apply to the UK and applying them to Scotland instead, though probably sans vetoes and opt-outs. New regulations can be put in place to deal with the new situation (for example, stamping products from rUK saying they were produced there, applying necessary taxes and tariffs even if they are exported via Scotland) as part of the negotiations that will be happening anyway.

All it really requires is the UK government to bring it to the table and push for it, which won't happen because none of the major parties really have anything to lose in Scotland.

From your link:
It is understood UK Government ministers involved in Brexit have been ordered to cancel visits outside London around the March date in case the House of Lords rejects their Brexit plan.
Before article 50 was triggered the UK Brexit plan could have died in the HOC or HOL, meaning neither would have been able to give any answers as to what was going to be, as they had no idea whether the gov's plan would actually go through. I certainly know the SNP haven't been in the dark on this, having seen Salmond yesterday morning in the Parliament Brexit talks, or for that matter trying to kill those plans in the HOC. Thus there is no insult, it would be rather embarrassing to send a top minister with nothing to say, or worse, to say and risk undermining the government whilst negotiating with yurop

PPE: this next bit reads a bit passive-aggressively, but I'm too tired to change it. None of it directed at you, just so you're aware.

Why should it matter if their plan may or may not be voted against? If they have a plan, they should be sharing it with the devolved administrations (all of them, not just Scotland) so they, in turn, can make plans on how to deal with various degrees of success of the UK government's plan, as well as the people of Britain, considering there's a vote about to happen on what direction Brexit is going to take. Really, you would hope that the various parties have an idea of what they want to happen during the next two years, 'cause that is pretty much what the election is about.

I mean, there was 9 months between the result and Article 50. They had a bit to deal with: Tory leadership drop-outs, court cases, various back-and-forths with Europeans and belligerent natives. They made a shady deal with Nissan, who were essentially threatening to shut down a factory that employs 7,000 people and has impact on 28,000 more jobs, but also refuse to release any details about that deal, 'cause Tories apparently don't know how to redact sensitive information from a letter.

Perhaps all that means is they don't actually have a plan to share, yet, 'cause there's no reason they shouldn't be sharing what they want to happen during negotiations.

I think engaging in discourse would be a good start, but it's been almost a year since the referendum, and Article 50 has already been triggered, so it'd be a token gesture if anything at this point. The SNP aren't saying the Tories should fuck off and die, they want what's best for Scotland, and if the Tories aren't even willing to talk about it... what's the point of Scotland having any say at all?
Westminster is chock full of SNP MPs who've been exceedingly involved in Brexit, if they don't want to have a say in how things are run then they're doing it in an awfully loud way. As to why, it should seem obvious. As we approach negotiations our ministers must have a clear understanding of what industries are at stake, thus all the MPs have been voicing concerns for their local constituents' industries and services needs. If the SNP wants the UK to remain in the EU, Westminster can't deliver on that without becoming arbitrary and despotic, however it can ensure Britain gets a free trade deal that suits Britain and Europe. By not participating, that would make it exceedingly difficult to do a deal bespoke to Britain, there'd be an information blackspot in the shape of Scotland, which is naturally helpful to no one.

Westminster has 56 SNP MPs, out of a total of 650. That is not "chock full", and there's no reason for the SNP MPs that are there to not take part in debates and such re: Brexit. I'm not sure how you think that's what is (or that I think should) be happening.

What I was talking about was the abject silence that the UK government have given the Scottish government in regards to the proposals that they've presented in order to start a discussion on what should happen. How are they supposed to interpret that?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 28, 2017, 06:26:57 pm »

She's a Scottish politician representing the Scottish people. What do you propose she do when her constituents categorically reject something their bigger, louder neighbour is forcing them to do

You assume there is categorical rejection. Just how many Scottish leave voters is she representing?

Scotland wears big boy trousers now. It has to take responsibility - it can't play the game then toss the board on the floor when it doesn't go its way. Its leave voters contributed too - if Scotland had categorically voted stay, we would be staying.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 28, 2017, 06:33:08 pm »

She's a Scottish politician representing the Scottish people. What do you propose she do when her constituents categorically reject something their bigger, louder neighbour is forcing them to do

You assume there is categorical rejection. Just how many Scottish leave voters is she representing?

Scotland wears big boy trousers now. It has to take responsibility - it can't play the game then toss the board on the floor when it doesn't go its way. Its leave voters contributed too - if Scotland had categorically voted stay, we would be staying.

I remember a map of the results with most of Scotland being bright blue (for no), which didn't indicate 100% no votes, but a large majority of them did.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:35:00 pm by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 28, 2017, 06:52:03 pm »

Scotland wears big boy trousers now. It has to take responsibility - it can't play the game then toss the board on the floor when it doesn't go its way.
"Britain ... can't play the game then toss the board on the floor when it doesn't go its way."  Except that it did.  And it wasn't even as if we didn't get a lot of things to go our way....

Its leave voters contributed too - if Scotland had categorically voted stay, we would be staying.
It more categorically voted Remain (62% to 38%) than any of the other nations voted their own way.  Even the honorary sub-nation and Brexit 'hotbed' of Cornwall (fired up by both fishing and farming discontentment, apparently got only to 56.5% to the contrary.

And I'm forming the conclusion that UKIP's machinations will lead to the loss of the Pound.  Assuming Europe has the constitution to survive and thrive without the UK (not an impossible dream, for them), the resulting hurt that is more concentrated upon the "rebellious Brits" pushes us back towards the EU. If we're lucky, it's by aborting the Art 50 (something the remains of UKIP will vehemently oppose), otherwise we're "the country that cried Brexit" and the price of readmittance included full subservience, none of those hard-fought-for special conditions, and (once we're economically stabilised) we will have to convert to the €...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: April 28, 2017, 07:02:09 pm »

An interesting aside for any readers not familiar with the intricacies of our regional parties and FPTP system: In the last General Election, the SNP received 1,454,436 votes (in Scotland, as one would expect). UKIP received more than double that, with 3,881,099 votes (spread across Britain as opposed to just Scotland, though more concentrated in England).
Problems with FPTP aside, the SNP basically wiped the floor with everyone else in their target territory and received no votes at all (not officially, at least) in England, Wales and NI becausr they never even asked for them. UKIP,  theoretically if not actually, sought support across the entire four nations and didn't get past that post except in just one place (having previously had two seats, IIRC).

And the SNP did not lose two seats, they disbarred the people who had won them in their name. Nobody has yet had the opportunity to vote in anybody else (for or against the SNP) to make it official.

I have not much time for the SNP or the prospect of splitting off from the Union, but I have even less time for UKIP and this prospect of splitting from the superset Union.  And sauce for the goose, etc...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: April 28, 2017, 07:09:17 pm »

It was a 62-38 split, man. Every single council area in Scotland had a majority of voters vote to Remain. Any argument you hit me with, I'll return to you with the 51.9-48.1 split overall :P arch-Brexiteer Farage himself was saying he wouldn't accept that result if it was reversed. As things stand, 80%+ of Scots would've had to vote Remain to get a literally 50% +1 result. I'll do the maths again at some point, I'm reasonably sure I did it earlier in the thread...

Ninja'd, to an extent. I think Gibraltar had a 90%+ for Remain, but that's unsurprising given the location.

@Covenant: remember, the SNP received 50% of the vote in the 59 constituencies they stood in. UKIP should've got more than the one seat they did get, though, however much I dislike them.

Oh ffs Starver :P anyhow, the two folk the SNP disbarred (and are not endorsing for the next election) were doing bad things. McGarry is being investigated for fraud regarding financing for a property, and I can't remember off the top of my head what the other one did, but I think it's in a similar vein.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: April 28, 2017, 07:18:19 pm »

Gibraltar is TINY though, the only times it could swing it would be if there was less than a percentage point difference between leave and remain.

Also, funny that Farage accepts that result, but wouldn't accept it if it was reversed. Can't have it both ways.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:20:09 pm by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 29, 2017, 01:55:12 am »

But then, that kind of huge difference for regional parties only apply to party that have a base in a small portion of the country and can concentrate their votes a lot. Almost by definition those are the ones that cannot win and decide to rule the UK, so I'm not sure the comparision with the EC really hold in that aspect. A better parallel with the EC is the fact that the Tory rule Parliament with 37 % of the votes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 29, 2017, 04:28:08 pm »

Turns out that the UK government did respond to the proposals from the Scottish government regarding Scotland's place in Europe. On the day they triggered Article 50.

Then David Mundell, the Secretary of State for Scotland, proceeded to lie about the Scottish government wanting to keep the letters unpublished.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: April 30, 2017, 08:31:21 pm »

Just checking

When everyone here said assimilation... did they mean integration or assimilation?

I want to be fair as there is a huge difference but they are similar enough to be confused with one another.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 30, 2017, 09:17:10 pm »

Seven of nine will be assimilated, the other two integrated.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 01, 2017, 07:49:28 am »

"We are the British. Resistance is futile."

-Queen Victoria (apocryphal)

United Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 126