Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 60362 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)
« Reply #345 on: January 08, 2017, 09:23:44 pm »

Ingish..going to use a burrow? ^^;;

Yes.

Would be cool if soldier actually petitioned to militia commander.

That may be a tweak once Toady gets around to giving the various positions an actual job to do.  For now...

Yay, more request for leather. Bomrek, reasonably, has no faith. But ah, I recall the import cap was to force Finderboard to produce it themselves.

That was the original reason, yes.  But will the king remember that if we go over and stay over?

I'm not sure training axes would work when Bomrek wants axes for battle, either.

I don't have the metal to make that many axes, unless I start stripping the armor off the military, and we have to live with IMIC, which is a rather more pressing concern.  Given how long he had to wait for that armor in the first place.

Where is Rigòth's husband, I wonder? Though a dwarf is a dwarf.

Monom Anvilreveres is a baron, and currently living in Theaterknowledge.  I've never yet had a title-holder visit any forts (I've just seen the consorts), so I don't think we'll see him at all.

How old are the new cats?
No idea.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 08, 2017, 09:32:22 pm »

- If he does, I doubt it'll do much good, given the recent request.

- I bet the aquifer has more iron.

Retriving it, though...It might be easier to dine in hell. A challenge, to be sure!

- Ditto on title holders.

- you can check through DT, or gui/view-unit-info iirc.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:11 pm »

- I bet the aquifer has more iron.

Retriving it, though...It might be easier to dine in hell. A challenge, to be sure!

I'm sure it does, and yes, it will be.

- you can check through DT, or gui/view-unit-info iirc.
DT doesn't play nice on my mac, and the version of DFhack I'm using doesn't seem to have a plug-in to check creature info.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 10, 2017, 02:24:22 pm »

02 Moonstone 86

“Airith?  Airith!  Where’re ye takin’ Ryukan?  Airith!”

I really hope she remembers to feed the baby!

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

13 Moonstone 86

I’ve been finding reasons to pass by the masonry every day, but I haven’t yet heard Ryukan crying.  So it would seem that Airith isn’t completely lost to the rest of the world.  But, she has been running around gathering a number of things.

Well, my beloved does have good taste.  I wonder what this latest project of hers is?

17 Moonstone 86

Isn’t my wife something!

And it’s worth over 80,000!

Huh, maybe I can use this to make the cavern entrance, instead of constantly constructing/deconstructing that wall.  I just need to get it linked to a lever.

22 Moonstone 86

Once again, the dwarf took advantage of his secret door-opening mechanism.  Slipping out, he trod the now-familiar path to his hidden alcove.  Reaching it, he was faced with a slab of rock which, to any other dwarf, would appear to have fallen during one of the mythical earthquakes which were said to be frequent when the world was born, but that no living creature had ever experienced.

The dwarf knew better, however.  He had installed that slab for a single purpose, and he used it now.  Carefully setting out his items on it, he sat and chanted.

After more hours, he finally rose, and packed up his altar. 

He slipped back through the wall, but something about the cavern's stillness was different.  For creatures that happened to be sensitive to such things, there was a sense that it might almost be…waiting.

02 Opal 86

Mud?  Pshaw!  That’s going to be even easy than the glass/gem monsters.  The poison?  Not what I wanted to hear.  But, neither of the other ‘dangerous’ attacks proved to be any concern.  I’m sure Imic has trained his soldiers well, and that he should be able to deal with this easily enough.

06 Opal 86

Udil was eager for battle, and raced down the Central Spire to the cavern entry.  He reached it at the same time as the glorified gob of mud, and started laying about with his axe.

“Ye ain’t gettin’ up these stairs.  No sirree!  Not on my watch!”

He hacked off one of the feet, slowing the monster’s forward progress, just as Rigòth and Sky arrived to lend a hand.

In retaliation, the monster breathed out a noxious cloud of fumes that seemed to cling to everything it touched, including Udil and Rigòth.

Just then, a bolt flew past the dwarves, burying itself deeply into the monster’s body.  The jiggling glob of mud seemed to shiver, then visibly trembled, before finally collapsing into a harmless pile of wet dirt, with a final exhalation of toxic fumes.

The dwarves turned to see Orda standing at the top of the ramp, crossbow still in the firing position.  At the identical looks on their faces, he shrugged.  “What?  You do realize you’d slowed it down for me, right?”

Udil coughed suddenly.  “Yeah, right.” 

Then Rigòth coughed.  “Let’s get out of here.  I need some fresh air.”

Of one mind, the four moved away from the unbreathable air.  It would take time for the fumes to dissipate.

On their way up, Orda turned a thought over and over, barely noticing that the coughing seemed to be increasing, rather than decreasing, as they moved away from the latest corpse.  Why don’t these dwarves use metal bolts?  Surely they realize silver is highly superior to bone when dealing with actual fighting.  Halfway back to the soil layers, he came to a decision.  I’ll talk to Mooney about it.  At the least, it’ll make them aware that there’s a better option.

07 Opal 86

And what comes?  MUD!  Don’t the Ancient Ones understand?  I need something that will stand up to steel!

The dwarf fumed as he worked.

Then again, that coughing…  Maybe the Ancient Ones are subtler than I gave them credit for.

08 Opal 86

Orda, Rigòth and Udil have been infected with beast poison & gone to the hospital, but somehow so far Sky seems fine.  I quickly designated two more beds for them. 

Dr. Urist has gone to tend them.  I fear for their lives, but which will kill them, the poison?  Or our good ‘doctor’?

I need to add a proper hospital room to the digging list.

10 Opal 86

Our three brave defenders are rotting away!  Dr. Urist isn’t holding out much hope that any of them will survive, but has started with Rigòth, as the youngest of the afflicted.

Sarvesh, Aban, Sky, and Spriggans are spending all of their time in the temple, praying to every deity known to dwarf, and the rest of us are not far behind.  This is the first serious illness in the village, and our morale is suffering as a result.

12 Opal 86

Apparently Orda was easy to deal with.  Dr. Urist took a single day, and cleared him for duty.  She’s back at Rigòth’s side now, excising rotten tissue.

Orda is surprised he’s well again.  I can understand that.

14 Opal 86

Some of our prayers have been answered, for Rigòth rose from his bed today and stumbled toward the equipment bins, though with both eyes mangled beyond recognition, I have no idea how he can see.  Maybe he’s smelling them, instead?

That boy really is tough, but I’m sure Sarvesh and Aban are relieved that their son is better.

Dr. Urist has now turned her attention to Udil, who is the most seriously ill.

15 Opal 86

Thank Armok I never got rid of that gypsum powder we imported so many years ago!  Udil seems to need a cast on every single part of his body.

20 Opal 86

Amid all the worry over Udil’s continuing sequestration, a little joy is a precious gift.

Airith and I celebrated quietly away from the others.  Sky and Spriggans don’t need our good fortune rubbed in their faces as they agonize over their firstborn.

22 Opal 86

Dr. Urist has made it quite clear that we need to keep a lot more gypsum plaster on hand.  She used both bags of the stuff, and all of our splints to stabilize Udil’s injuries.  She even had the carpenters rush through a couple of extra ones, because we didn’t have enough.

And somehow, through all of that, Udil is still with us.

I’m amazed.

23 Opal 86

We can use another marksdwarf when the keas come calling, so I’ve sent her over to Mooney for equipping and training.

24 Opal 86

Dr. Urist studied the partially-filled vial carefully.  The stuff degraded fairly quickly, and salvaging even this much had required quite a bit of ingenuity, and the sacrifice of one of her best pairs of gloves.

Still, this may be the missing ingredient I’ve been looking for.

Pulling a sheet of paper closer, she got to work.

26 Opal 86

How is it possible?  Three of them were sickened with forgotten beast poison, and all three recovered!  Couldn’t even one of them have died?

Sitting in his little alcove, the dwarf wasn’t chanting this time.  Instead, his elbows were propped against the slab of rock and his head was resting on his folded hands.

Then again, I’ve heard that Dr. Urist spent a lot of time during the earlier years studying poisons.  And she clearly figured something out from all of her tests.  I’m going to have to neutralize her if I want poison to be an option.  And I happen to like that dwarf.  She’s not afraid of pushing boundaries.  And that’s exactly what’s making her a Problem.

04 Obsidian 86

Udil is finally hobbling around the village, after almost a month confined to bed.  Sky and Spriggans both heaved a great breath of relief and went back to work.  But that boy is now wearing every single splint we have.  How can he even move?  And, like Rigòth, his entire body seems to be one massive scar.

Imic is of the firm opinion that it serves him right for insisting on using a copper axe ‘just like his pop.’

I need to get Aban to melt that down.

07 Obsidian 86

After digging out the new hospital room, complete with a water source, courtesy of the aquifer, I went to check on Ingish again.  Of course, he was on yet another drink break, but he has made some visible progress.

And the spores from caverns are spreading into the new areas, so by the time Ingish finishes, at least one of the pastures should be ready for occupation by grazers.

11 Obsidian 86

Having used up all of the current giant porcupine teeth, Rith headed out to get some logs for Spriggans.  She was well away from the safety of the palisade when a terrible scream rose from the jungle.  A flash of movement erupted into a monitor lizard at full charge, headed straight for her.

Fortunately Besmar, who was gathering plants nearby, also charged in her direction.  Firing his single bolt, he then converted his crossbow into a hammer and started bashing the oversize lizard.  Her eyes widening in memory, Rith plunged her hand into her pocket and pulled out her own weapon.  Pounding with a vengeance, the *large green glass gem* proved harder than the lizard’s head.

The resulting mess was rather awe-inspiring.

12 Obsidian 86

It turns out, that male giant camel I bought in the spring?  It's actually a female.  So we’ll show even more progress than I hoped but…how did I miss that?  I mean, once you look, it’s obvious she’s missing something.

I must still have been in a fog of new fatherhood.  Yeah, I’ll go with that.

20 Obsidian 86

After over a year of working with them, Sigun seems rather more confident with capuchins now.

25 Obsidian 86

Once we finish with the pastures, we’ll be ready to liberate some more iron from the aquifer-bearing layers.

All we’re waiting for now is for Nil to smooth the walls, so that they don’t leak and we can see where to dig.

28 Obsidian 86

A new year is about to start, and the sand is going in the wrong direction!

I’m going to buy flour from the humans, though it’ll definitely put us over the import cap.  But, what matters is that we’re under it after the dwarven traders leave, right?  And with the monsters in the cavern, Us and Idur are nervous about venturing into the caverns to fish from the lake.  They’ll only go if they have a squad as bodyguards.

Well, fortunately that’s easy to arrange these days.  And Dr. Urist is finally connecting the lever to our new floodgate door, which will make access much easier.

OOC: I was really expecting to lose at least one of the three (my last encounter with a FB spewing "poisonous vapors" ended up killing nine dwarves, because they got infections before they could be cleaned with soap), and I don't know how Orda didn't get an infection (as I don't have a soap factory set up yet).
Current character list:
Spoiler: Training in Moonstone: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Opal: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Obsidian: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 10, 2017, 10:00:54 pm »

Wow, I actually thought that the good doc would've killed at least two of the injured through mispractive, not save all three...

*Airith puts more faith points into Dr. Urist*
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:43:31 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 10, 2017, 10:30:32 pm »

Yeah, that was my expectation, given that she hasn't actually used the diagnosis skill I put embark points into since our arrival.  I'm assuming that her occasional Ponder Toxicology! has been enough to keep her diagnostics current enough to not kill anyone.  Yet.  In addition to being story-appropriate.

I do appreciate that my doctors' skills no longer rust as easily since the libraries went in.  :D

- Dame de la Licorne

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2017, 10:45:09 pm »

Also, I used up my only mood I will ever get in this life to make.... a hatch?

Why not a door? What was I thinking? Ugh. At least you had the stuff I needed and I didn't kill anyone...

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2017, 09:51:58 am »

It's an artifact floodgate, not just a dinky little hatch.  Made of the most valuable rocks we have!  And, since it was made by a claimed dwarf, you have a say in where/how it eventually gets used.

@Spriggans: And the same for your door.

@NCommander: And for your ring.  Though what kind of use I'll be able to make of that, aside from storytelling...

- Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2017, 09:59:00 am »

Triple galena on a ...magma-safe floodgate?

Well, a cavern gate is nice to have.

Hm, I recall poisonous vapours remained dangerous even when in a cage, an unique case.

Makes it somewhat harder to weaponize, though.

Those kind of abilities really serve as an excuse to have marksdwares.

And it's convenient that splints work quite well - though I'm less sure you could splint a broken rib or shoulde. Well, here's hoping against infection - though it has been a month.

Also, don't think mispractice exits, only being too slow to help - those operations sure took a while.

That sand...Really only place in game with orange color. Red+yellow stripes really, but it's still somewhat unique.

As for the aquier, not just iron - I spy a kaolinite cluster on that screenshot.

Hostile wildlife? Well, it happens rarely. Though ironically large gems are fourth the size as normal gem cabachons.

Eh, Ryukan, hatches can be preferable to doors anyways usually. Less breakable, can be installed on stairs or stood upon...Though also, not a hatch.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 11, 2017, 11:28:20 am »

It's an artifact floodgate, not just a dinky little hatch.  Made of the most valuable rocks we have!  And, since it was made by a claimed dwarf, you have a say in where/how it eventually gets used.

In my secret execution chamber of course, so they can be happy as gallons of magma gets dropped on them

@NCommander: And for your ring.  Though what kind of use I'll be able to make of that, aside from storytelling...

One Ring to Rule them all...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 11, 2017, 11:30:53 am »

One Ring to Trap them all?

- Dame de la Licorne

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 11, 2017, 01:29:09 pm »

One Ring to Trap them all?

- Dame de la Licorne

One Ring to bring them, and in the darkness, Bind them.

In the land of Mordor where shadows lie...  :P

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 11, 2017, 01:39:48 pm »

Fixed: Deep within the caverns, where forgotten beasts lie.   :P

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:41:03 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 11, 2017, 07:56:09 pm »

04 Granite 87

The camels are being moved down to the first of the permanent pastures.  That should ease the traffic in the pasture a bit.

11 Granite 87

Orda was patrolling the tavern when he spotted the creature.  Rubbing his fist across his eyes, he looked again.

“Uh-oh.  That one’s going to be tough.”

He raced along the ramparts to the section overlooking Tayldis Bridge, and called the warning down to Imic, along with some advice.

“You’ll want to be really careful with this one.”  Orda finished.

Imic waved a hand.  “My squad knows what to do.  You just stay up there.”

Hefting their axes, the axedwarves spread out into battle formation.

12 Granite 87

A visiting wren man spearman, once again soaring high above, suddenly dived toward the minotaur, attracting her attention.

The battle was swift and brutal, as the minotaur ripped the wren man’s wings off.  A follow-up punch to the head ended the fight almost before it started, and the wren man died with a frozen look of surprise on his face. 

At least we won’t have to build another stairway to heaven this year.  Lotu thought, watching from the tavern with the other guests.

The minotaur resumed her advance, this time armed with a small llama wool hood, courtesy of the defeated wren man, and the Pale Roads inhaled, mentally readying themselves for the oncoming threat.

With his long legs, the mercenary Xetan charged quickly forward, leaving the rest of the squad to follow to their best ability.  The minotaur let fly with one fist, delivering a bruising punch to Xetan’s mouth.  She quickly followed up with a strike of her weaponized hood to his right arm, inflicting another bruise.

By then Imic had arrived, and started wielding his axe with surgical precision.  His first strike disabled the minotaur’s right leg, causing it to buckle.  The minotaur stumbled, and fell.  As she did so, she swiped at Imic, but the latter dodged out of the way.  With his second strike, he buried his axe blade deep into the minotaur’s skull.

As the victorious squad walked back to Tayldis Bridge, Imic looked up at Orda.  Hmph.  That wasn’t hard.  Talk about a human jumping at shadows!

14 Granite 87

We’ve caught some more troglodytes in the traps.  I guess I’m going to try dumping them into a prison pit, instead of killing them.  That way we can count them toward our “creature” quota.  Now, where to put that pit?

17 Granite 87

The trash collectors have come.

I’ve ordered our worn silk clothes moved, and some of our extra glass screw pump pieces, since the elves appear to really prize those.

22 Granite 87

In exchange for our threadbare silk clothes, most of which had been imported, and some glass corkscrews, I’ve bought a male giant echidna, to make a breed with the female we already had, a kestrel, a snapping turtle, an armadillo, a giant cougar and a warthog.  Progress is ongoing.

Before Trade:                                                  After Trade:

26 Granite 87

Another was hefting a boulder of cobaltite from right next to me as I was digging, when I saw him suddenly freeze mid-motion.

For a moment, he stood staring into space, then he dropped the boulder and went rushing off.

28 Granite 87

There is now enough forage in the second soil pasture that we can move the shearable animals underground and out of the way.  The third pasture is almost bare, but fully dug out.  Given how quickly moss spreads, we should be able to move the rest of the grazers into it by the end of the spring.

04 Slate 87

Another has begun work.

All I can say is…that’s going to be an interesting piece of furniture.

08 Slate 87

Uh…that’s not exactly what I was hoping for…

That makes two coffins now.  But it does have some lovely decorations.

13 Slate 87

We’ve started walling off the approaches to our cavern accessway, since the humans assigned to set up a fishing industry are still nervous, even with the Helmed Anvils standing by.

24 Slate 87

I’m starting to get tired of this never-ending stream.  It seems like every couple of months, something else comes to bother us.  I’ve sent the Pale Roads and the Helmed Anvils to exterminate the thing, and warned the civilians to stay inside until its dead.  I went to take up my previous position in the tavern, since it provides both a decent vantage point and easy access to alcohol.

And of course, the werelizard came straight for the tavern, climbing up the wooden walls, where it was mobbed by our visitors and knocked down inside the walls.

Huh, I should have known poets just aren’t very good fighters.  Five of them were managing to bruise the creature by the time Sky arrived, closely followed by Ino.  I think their hammers managed to break every bone in the cursed thing’s body, before Ino finally bashed its head in and killed it.

But not everyone escaped unscathed.  The creature killed two visiting poets, a goblin and a human, and left several others with bite wounds.  I’ve forbidden the dropped equipment from the dead, and will get rid of it at the first opportunity.

As for the bitten, I’ve instructed Imic and Sky to keep a close eye on Ino during training for the next month.  We haven’t yet had to deal with an armed werecreature, and I’d prefer not to start now.  Since the others were some visiting human poets, I’ve assigned Mooney’s Pillars to hang out in the tavern until the next full moon.  They’ll be receiving a “courtesy escort” if they go anywhere else in the village.  I won’t allow my family to be endangered.

25 Slate 87

And now to deal with the climbing issue.  A dry, multiple level moat will be a good start, followed by some overhanging floors.

09 Felsite 87

With three possibly cursed people around, perhaps this isn’t the best time...

11 Felsite 87

I guess she must like the improvements we’re making.

Since she has skill as a mason, I asked her to help Another out with making rock blocks to build our permanent walls.

16 Felsite 87

Seriously?  She couldn’t have waited a sevenday?

Then again, this is another daughter for Imic…she can probably take care of herself.  Though I somehow doubt that she’ll make a very good soldier.

20 Felsite 87

Imic is “training” the Pale Roads, while keeping a close eye on Ino, who is doing some individual combat drill.  Some of our “off-duty” soldiers are drinking in the tavern, keeping an eye on the two humans.  When the full moon comes tomorrow, we’ll be ready.

21 Felsite 87

Well, at least only one of three bitten was actually infected.  And that one transformed in full view of everyone in the tavern.  It promptly blooded its new form on one of the war dogs, slowing it down just long enough for the Helmed Anvils to arrive.  With Sky and Ino both thrashing about with their hammers, and Geño thrusting and lunging with her sword, the werelizard didn’t seem to know who to attack first.  It flailed about, punching at one, kicking at another, biting at the third, only to get a mouthful of cloak.

Finally, Sky saw an opening, and struck.  His war hammer landed on the cursed human’s skull, crushing it and killing the creature before it could spread the infection once again.

I hate werelings.

27 Felsite 87

There’s enough cave moss flourishing in the sand of the third pasture for us to move the rest of the grazers out of the way.  Movement on the surface should be considerably faster from now on.  Next, I just need to hollow out someplace for the non-grazers to be chained up.

28 Felsire 87

It’s time to get some bone crafts made again.

And those human citizens.  I'm about ready to hand them over to Akrul, just to stop her from yelling at me.  They run at every little rustle in the caverns, and the few fish one of those incompetents catch either rot away before the other incompetent can clean them, or get eaten by children as soon as they're prepared.  I didn't realize we were raising a settlement full of fish-lovers.  Well, at least the traders will be coming in a sevenday or two.  They’ve been bringing fish regularly for years, we’ll make up the difference there.

Current character list:
Spoiler: Training in Moonstone: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Opal: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Obsidian: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2017, 10:19:41 pm »

ö Nice meeting - after 24 years....Been a while.

Terrible greeting, though. For the minotaur, that is.

ö Yet another artifact furniture? Something you can wear would be nice.

ö Werevisitors, in communal tavern? Uh oh.

Well.

Wait.

Weren't the civilians supposed to have some sort of uniform?

ö I'd have expected you to build a secure fishing spot, instead of securing one, but I guess either will do. And you do have another mason now.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36