Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: [Players needed] CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence  (Read 14823 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2016, 03:36:52 pm »

Labors for sheet paper from plants (Parchment Sheets):
1. Grower (or Plant Gather if there are Pappyrus)
2. Miller from plant to slurry
3. Presser from slurry to sheet
4. Paper Making labor is needed

Labors for sheet paper from animals (Vellum Sheets):
1. Clothier or Leatherworker to make a bag for quicklime
2. Smelter at kiln to make quicklime from flux stone and fuel
3. Carpenter for the bucket, or Metalsmith.
4. Lye Maker at ashery to make milk of lime
5. Butcher animal at butcher's shop for the hide (make sure turn off auto tanner)
2. Tanner at tanner's shop to make vellum sheet from hide, and milk of lime.

Or just trade for sheets.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2016, 04:09:12 pm »

When it comes to grower and plant gathering, you only really only need one of the two - aboveground plants can be imported from caravans if desired, though you get a legendary gatherer in between 1-2 seasons. Though for the second, might use all the idle hands to make the enclosed area bigger - it grows shrubs on it, right?

Nice instructions on copying books. Should pump out about 1-3k per book depending on copied book, though at more jobs per book (3 minimum for scrolls?) than spiked fragile balls, I think - scribing used/trained no skill at all, right?

Trade goods production...tbh, only really need 1 dwarf at most for that, I believe. The fort has substantial overlap here, what's with the cook, bookbinder, weaponsmith, glassmaker, carpenter(while wood lasts) and clothier.

Similar overlap on furniture production between the carpenter, mason and glassmaker - granted, the last one produces green magma-safe furniture the easiest (you'd have to get dwarves to puke on nether-cap beds to make them green, I think?).

Of course, having more is cool. I don't believe any labour that is particularly needed is missing, right now.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:13:25 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2016, 04:44:59 pm »

scribing is no labor, so its free. I buy/rob sheets from caravans, make into quires (they wont bring quires)

its for the future. And we will need plant proccessing anyway, so just papermaking. mehh. I totaly overlook furnace operating when i assigned papermaking, but couldnt change it...

Oh, story

Journal of Gwolfski

Running an outpost, tis a hard job. Don't have time to get stuff written. Bunch o' fat lazy goodfornothings came! the nerve of 'em. Maybe I can write a book on working, that'll stir their lazy asses!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2016, 05:34:34 pm »

I meant exp, not labour :p Reading a book gives writer and student, iirc.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2016, 12:12:24 am »

Okay, Spring 202 is complete!

At the start of the year, the dwarves took stock of where they were at. They had a basic fort, food and drink, and were just starting to emerge from the "first year pile of junk and workshops" phase into starting a proper fort. Most notably, they'd dug down to magma and placed a couple forges, though it was a multi-day walk down and back to work in the depths.

2nd Granite, 202, Early Spring: An adorable, cuddly little guy visited us! Shululujubin, Kobold Thief, ran away before we could invent Dwarven PokeBalls and catch him as a pet.

Given the scarcity of motivation, the first order of business had to be reducing workplace safety, because a few of the dwarves were already feeling overwhelmed by the sheer number of tasks they might face. After all, for many of them, having two labors was too much of a burden to carry, and the fort overseer, Gwolfski, had three!

17 Granite, 202:

Work was slow at first, with the active dwarves weighed down by how much they had to do. Especially in short supply was wooden logs, because no one could be bothered to chop down any trees. Thankfully, a caravan of elves arrived and traded several trees that had been specially naturally grown into log shape.  This particular piece of idiocy was true to the nature of elves, according to the holy writings of Armok:

21 Granite, 202:

A strange contraption was built near the stairway to the magma sea. (Dug in the very upper-left of the map in year 1) For dwarves with simply too much labor on their minds, it has a strange and irresistible fascination!

Not long afterwards, Imic mysteriously vanished! (Note: Mason and Stone Crafting lost. Mason and Furnace Operating assigned, 1 labor slot free at this point.)

22 Granite, 202:

Gwolfski, Master Engineer vanishes as well! No sign of him remained! (Note: Clothier, Mechanic, and Bookbinding lost. Mechanic, Metalcrafter, and Wood Cutting assigned. 1 labor slot still free.)

27 Granite, 202:

TheFlame52 vanishes as well. (Note: Weaponsmith and Armorsmith lost. Plant Gathering assigned. 2 free picks left now.)

4 Slate, 202: 22 migrants have arrived! Arrggh! Mouths to feed, and a drain on our booze supplies, strained by having only the single brewer.

The saving grace of this large migrant wave was the arrival of a High Master glassmaker! The dwarves huddled briefly and came to a brilliant conclusion! Why work for ourselves when we can swindle others to bring us everything we need, by trading them massively overpriced glass goods. (Note: Glassmaking assigned, 1 free pick left.)

8 Slate, 202: Wood cutting and plant gathering have begun! The shortage of wood should be resolved shortly, with so many haulers to bring it safely underground. Hauling is poorly organized, as Catten is still working pm expanding a limestone quarry to be large enough for a storage and sorting area.

12 Slate, 202: The first Masterwork glass spiked ball is produced. Everything using the furnaces is an insanely long walk, so moving the forges up becomes a top next priority.

20 Slate, 202, Mid-spring. There's 482 logs chopped down. That'll last for a while.

4 Felsite, 202, Late-spring: Work on a magma minecart filling station reached the point where the dwarves could dig the hole opening up the magma inlet. Now they just need to complete the drain and forge more minecarts!

With only one architect, mechanic, and mason, all designs have to be minimal. Here's the simple design, where carts set on the grate should be filled, and a bridge smashes excess magma below. It's low on safety features and high on magma-flooding potential, so be careful to lock the door before operating it!

16 Felsite, Late Spring. One more tree is cut because a pet gosling is stuck in it, after being terrified by buzzards.

End of Spring: The magma minecart filling station is complete and carts are being loaded into the filling area! Space has been dug for permanent workshop locations, so magma will definitely be hauled up in the coming weeks!

With good progress being made on basic survival and magma relocation, the dwarves were free to start working on a few other goals:

- Item sorting. (Not much has happened here yet, other than collecting items into a central area. A lot of stockpiles and routes will need to be designated to make any real progress.)

- Securing the Trade Depot. The one from year 1 was elevated one z-level, with a retracting bridge controlling access. Sadly, that doesn't actually protect against anything that can climb, fly, or shoot. (So it protects against nothing, really.) A tunnel was dug to connect a subterranean Depot to a secured section of the map edge.

- General defense. The fort has basically no defensive capability at all, taking advantage of the very benign embark. But we know there are goblins and necromancers out there that will visit eventually. To that end, a partial and minimal (for me) defensive hallway has been dug, to be filled with traps of subsequent overseer's choice.

The one unusual feature, if it gets finished, will be a minecart grinder. Dwarves these days don't have enough whirring spinning traps capable of murdering an entire fortress for trying to recover a single sock. I don't know if 9 months remaining is enough for that though, with limited labors, and basic survival comes first!

Here's the Dorf and skill situation, as of the start of Summer 202:

'Cattan' Ustuthzursul: Miner, Engraver
'Spriggans' Iklistzon: Carpenter, Weaver (Rusty)
'Bembul' Zanegsakrith: Cook, Architect
'McGee' Kubuklin: Brewer, Grower
'Imic2' Ezumlinem: Mason
'Gwolfski2' Zulbannisgak: Mechanic
'Sanctume' Tobulustir: Metalcrafting
'TheFlame52_2' Vabokoltar: Furnace Operator

NEEDS NAME: Shorast BasenMorul: Wood Cutter
NEEDS NAME: Sibrek Akrulmorul: Glassmaker
NEEDS NAME: Likot Cilobkon: Plant Gatherer
(1 skill slot is free, but a second mechanic is starting to look necessary if traps are going to be built. The wood cutter and plant gatherer are pretty disposable, too but I'm trying to avoid making too many skill decisions to leave more freedom for future overseers.)

Please suggest Dorf names, please! Otherwise I'll name them all QuantumMenace, Larix, TinyPirate, Quietust and Button, etc.

At the end of Spring, there are 41 citizens, 3 visitors. No combat or other excitement has happened, other than some buzzards frightening the pets. If anything eventful happens, obviously plans will change, because the fortress will be completely open to invaders until the surface area Gwolfski built can be finished roofing over.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2016, 01:01:44 am »

Yays for non-lazy updates! An entertaining read:

Gwolfski, Master Engineer vanishes as well! No sign of him remained! (Note: Clothier, Mechanic, and Bookbinding lost. Mechanic, Metalcrafter, and Wood Cutting assigned. 1 labor slot still free.)
He went to a better place.

I wonder what's the metal crafting is for....
minecarts
I wonder no longer for the fort is stronger.

I remember seeing those designs posted in threads. Though, that really long single wide tunnel begs my eyes for a minecart shotgun locked away from firing by a raised bridge, ready to be pressure plated or deconstruct-toggled by an overseer to fire, even if single shot systems are rather ineffective.

Dorf names...They could try being their own supremely lazy people (none of the names you posted I associate with laziness)....I suppose Jones from Manly Guys doing Manly Things springs does fit it for a female dwarf, perhaps (even living underground). It's a start!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:03:19 am by Fleeting Frames »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2016, 02:03:07 am »

Yays for non-lazy updates! An entertaining read:
Thanks!

Human traders showed up, and we're buying them out of FOOOOD! Because food and drink really aren't keeping up with population. This should put the dwarves on much more solid footing for survival. (Also, holy carp, that glassmaker showing up was lucky. Half the traps we're trading are worth 30000.) Also getting lots of cloth, some thread, barrels, and other raw materials.

Hauling all this food and wood is slowing down everything else, but I don't think anyone's going to complain about that.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:07:16 am by gchristopher »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2016, 02:52:42 am »

Ahahah ! You killed three starting seven ! That's not seen in a lot of forts :P
I agree, they were too lazy. They had two skills on, and only doing one at a time.

I like where this is heading. Killing is necessary in a good fort.

Have you started a military yet ? Even wrestlers are good enough, since this will train willpower/fighter/dodger.
Remember militia can only "train 50% - rest 50%" of the time ;)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: [Dorf names requested] CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2016, 04:14:20 am »

You fools. Look what you have done! You have released the ancient spirits of light and darkness and the inbetween.... You have set the curse of the strawberry on this land! Mortals, I besiege you, cower in fear!!!

Anyone want some strawberry wine?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2016, 09:42:30 am »

Ye who art thou cursed with too much knowledge are deemed unworthy for prolonged existence.  Thus shall your pools of labors be spread among the peasant heathens to receive CurseKnowledge.

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2016, 01:08:00 am »

I'm willing to be named within the fort, despite the chance of me being sacrificed 'removed' for the greater good!

Feel free to use either section of my username! Or both, if thats your style Unfortunately I'm far to rusty in forts to have a turn at this moment, I'll work on that so I can join this very interesting idea! IF Rex is used to be the first name, I'd love to be a military dwarf! :D feel free to use this name if needed though even if it won't be a military dwarf, Cause I highly doubt we are going to need a dedicated engraver in the fort for quite awhile. (which would probably be my second choice.)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2016, 01:54:34 am »

Spriggans woke up this morning, pretty tired :

" *big yawn*
Damn !
I slept badly this night ! Ma muscles hurt !
I miss the ol' times when we'd spend our days doin' nothin' !
I should build maself a ☼Bed☼ to sleep better. But why shouda do dat ? I'd rather rest in ma crappy +Bed+ than doin' werk !

I need a drink !
Hey ! McGee ! Ye lazy dorf ! Were in Armok name are ye ? I wanna beer ! Were is the beer, ye slow fat dorf !"
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:57:14 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2016, 02:00:13 am »

Spriggans woke up this morning, pretty tired :

" *big yawn*
Damn !
I slept badly this night ! Ma muscles hurt !
I miss the ol' times when we'd spend our days doin' nothin' !
I should build maself a ☼Bed☼ to sleep better. But why shouda do dat ? I'd rather rest in ma crappy +Bed+ than doin' werk !

I need a drink !
Hey ! McGee ! Ye lazy dorf ! Were in Armok name are ye ? I wanna beer ! Were is the beer, ye slow fat dorf !"
As it happens, the Summer writeup includes Spriggans suddenly getting a whole lot better at Carpentry...

Getting close. I spend a lot more time with the game paused than actually running.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2016, 02:11:38 am »

I'm willing to be named within the fort, despite the chance of me being sacrificed 'removed' for the greater good!

Feel free to use either section of my username! Or both, if thats your style Unfortunately I'm far to rusty in forts to have a turn at this moment, I'll work on that so I can join this very interesting idea! IF Rex is used to be the first name, I'd love to be a military dwarf! :D feel free to use this name if needed though even if it won't be a military dwarf, Cause I highly doubt we are going to need a dedicated engraver in the fort for quite awhile. (which would probably be my second choice.)
The fort already has a dedicated engraver/military: Catten (miner/engraver)

You'd probably engage in some sort of rivalry or apprenticeship if you weren't so lazy, I guess?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2016, 03:08:05 pm »

theres a military, 1 axedorf, who is wearing copper and is missing pants
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10