Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we take mate off of the "List of Important People"?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 07:55:06 pm

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43

Author Topic: Gloomdiamonds: The End of the Story (Finished)  (Read 53511 times)

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gloomdiamonds: A Familiar Darkness Falls on Us
« Reply #315 on: December 03, 2016, 10:29:16 pm »

1055-01-06

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While our military only suffered one loss, several of our dwarves were severely wounded in the fighting. It should surprise no one that our most wounded dwarves were also our least armored. Gloomdiamonds cannot survive if it cannot preserve its military talent from battle to battle. We must increase our production of armor.

I asked one of the miners about where the hospital was so that I could pay a personal visit to our heroes, and he took me down here, through the bowels of the fortress, up to the balcony over our library The Home of Irons, and down an unusually-tall hallway to this tiny room with a well, a chest, and two beds.

“Only two beds?” I asked. “That’s obviously not enough for anything. I have four badly wounded dwarves right now!”

The miner shook his head and explained that there was only one bed. The other bed was reserved for our mayor.

“You mean… our vampire mayor? The one that the office of the overseer has been keeping locked up behind the tanner’s workshop?”

He nodded.

“The one who’s the primary suspect in the deaths of eight dwarves?

“Allegedly,” he said.

“Why?” I asked.

He shrugged and said “It was like that when I migrated here.”

“Alright, whatever, as overseer I declare that it’s not his bed anymore. Also I want you to at least double the size of this room.”

“Will do. I’ll just get the fortress plans from the library to make sure I don’t run into anything. It’s kind of convoluted down here.”

“I’ve noticed.” I said, then stopped, a candle lighting in my mind. “Actually, could you show me where to find those? I’ve just been relying on what I can see and what people tell me. Baron Scourge didn’t really fill me in properly when I took over.”

“Sure.” he said, and we headed back out to the library to dig through the bookcases.

It wasn’t long before we found a set of sheets onto which had been printed the blueprints of the various floors of the fortress.

“I’ll need to study and update those when you’re done with them.” I said.

“Sounds like fun,” he said. “I always wanted to be a scribe.”

“You know what… what’s your name?” I asked.

“I’m Imic,” he said, looking a little nervous that I was singling him out.

“Well Imic, if you’re willing to do some masonry for me on the side as well, then I’ll officially name you a scribe right now. Deal?”

“Uh… sure, I guess.”

“Great! I expect to see you cutting blocks tomorrow then. My big beautiful wall isn’t going to be made out of dreams, after all.” I chortled. "And then when you get a chance, scribe, make a copy of these for me and bring them to my office."

I shook my head as I headed out for a drink, my work here done. Poor guy seemed like he'd been forgotten down here.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:04:27 pm by Pyrite »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 03, 2016, 10:52:43 pm »

I DID start making armor.... apparently not fast enough though XD

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 03, 2016, 11:02:18 pm »

This is Gloomdiamonds sir... not Doomforests, might want to check your post :P
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 03, 2016, 11:05:20 pm »

Oops. fixed it.

About half of our peeps are properly armored. Tholtig up there was only missing boots, but that was enough. We also have a bit of a shortage of steel edged weapons, so I'm going to focus on that first.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:06:57 pm by Pyrite »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 03, 2016, 11:16:28 pm »

Oops. fixed it.

About half of our peeps are properly armored. Tholtig up there was only missing boots, but that was enough. We also have a bit of a shortage of steel edged weapons, so I'm going to focus on that first.

kewl, Have you dwarfed me yet?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 03, 2016, 11:35:06 pm »

kewl, Have you dwarfed me yet?

Haven't had any migrants yet. I'm taking it slow as I'm still familiarizing myself with this crazy fortress.

In other news:

Young Tirist has grown up! The entrance of another parasite child into the workforce is always a time of celebration, but especially so for the son of Psychoangel, ex-overseer and, uh... "glassweaver" he calls himself.

My first instinct was to induct him into the masons, but given his parentage a profession as a glassblower seems more appropriate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 04, 2016, 01:00:17 am »

- That large tileset....What's the name?

- Never rely on traps alone...I suppose, if it is always limited 8 cage traps. That's just for sampling the local wildlife.

Fighting on top of traps? Would be unwise, were they armed.

- I take it you're planning a new hospital, close to the gates?

- My first instict for children growing up is give them moodable skill, if they haven't already, then put them through some military training.

@Imic, Ryukan means the dwarves you possess and then ignore the personalities and worries thereforth.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 04, 2016, 02:10:14 am »

- That large tileset....What's the name?
I'm using the Mayday tileset. I'm a little unhappy with how it renders dwarves to be honest.
- I take it you're planning a new hospital, close to the gates?
Not really, just expanding the one we have to usefulness.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 04, 2016, 02:32:35 am »

Bit of same feelings on my recently picked up moki's biolinum, with the dwarves being proper rather than abstract faces.

And oh k then. Sounded like you were saying it was too distant.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 04, 2016, 02:45:11 am »

And oh k then. Sounded like you were saying it was too distant.

Wounding doesn't happen often enough for me to really be concerned about that. Being next to a well is far more important.

I was more talking about the convoluted route one has to take to get there, so much so that it took me some time to figure out where it was.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #325 on: December 04, 2016, 03:18:06 am »

Well, Imic is now working in my library. Wonderfull. Also, that was meant to be a backup hospital. So that is why it is tiny.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 04, 2016, 03:40:41 am »

Well, Imic is now working in my library. Wonderfull. Also, that was meant to be a backup hospital. So that is why it is tiny.

Is there another hospital I missed? Because I looked pretty hard, and the wounded dorfs didn't go anywhere until I expanded this one.

Also, can you tell me what the rest of the rooms down there were intended for?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:47:14 am by Pyrite »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #327 on: December 04, 2016, 04:09:38 am »

I built that hospital in an emergency. It was meant to be a closet. The rooms are meant to be my private rooms. The room with the mechanics workshop is meant to be full of them, mechanics guild.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 04, 2016, 07:03:41 am »

1055-01-15

The elves are here. I hope they’re just here to trade and not to bandy on about their ‘global forest change’ nonsense. We all know that’s an elven hoax to try to control the wood trade. It’s bad enough that one has to carefully empty out any bins of stone or glass goods one wants to sell them.

The elves arrive and begin setting up in our new trade depot. It’s still in a hole in the ground, but at least it’s out of the sunlight, made of proper microcline blocks, and no longer covered in vomit. I expect that I’ll have it in much better shape by the time the humans arrive in the summer.

1055-01-15

Ast, our broker, reports that the elves didn’t have much to offer other than a handful of exotic animals, a few barrels, and some interesting foodstuffs.

1055-02-06

The efforts to remodel the entranceway are somewhat complicated by the rotting goblin parts littering the tunnel and filling the area with a foul miasma. I don’t know why some dwarves just can’t haul this crap away. There are refuse piles open.

1055-02-08

I’ve finished walling up the first of our grand storage rooms, mainly focusing on provisions of food and booze. This brings some order and stability to the giant hole, and ensures that we have central storage of the most essential supplies.

1055-02-27
Oh dear…

Well, that looks primed to cause some serious trouble…

If only Zuntir hadn’t died, this probably wouldn’t have happened.

The Aardvark attacks some random dwarves, gets the crap beaten out of it, and then slumps off. I’ll probably have the military deal with it if it becomes too much of a nuisance.

1055-03-01

The trade depot is completed, finally. At last, our visitors have a place to be that doesn’t shame us.

The broker nodded approvingly when he saw the completed depot, and then he asked “So… what are you going to do about the cage and stone-fall traps at the entrance?”

“What about them?” I asked.

"Well, I mean, the elves don’t use wagons so they don’t care, but when the humans get here they won’t run their wagons under those. If we don’t get rid of them we’ll only be able to trade with a couple of tramp merchants with their pack animals.”

“Oh… well crap. I guess I’ll need to remove those then.”

I’m really going to need to get the Big Beautiful Wall project moving forward quickly, because this is going to leave us vulnerable in the meantime.

Our improved hospital is also completed, with traction benches by each of the beds (two of them still being hauled into place.) We’ll be ready for the next crisis.

And here I present the new and improved The Symmetric Sugars, expanded to meet the needs of our dwarves and our many visitors, with a large dedicated dance floor and a set of inn rooms that are substantially better than the closet-beds set up by the catacombs before. I'm hoping that I'll be able to attract some permanent residents through this.

1055-03-03

And my first batch of migrants have arrived! They get to see the new, renovated view of Gloomdiamonds.

We get a hunter, a cheesemaker, an animal trainer, a swordsdwarf who I asked to start training as a mason, a surgeon, a gemcutter, a thresher, a leatherworker, a bone doctor, a suterer, a trapper, a farmer, a child, and an unskilled peasant. I greeted them at the gate, and the peasant started shouting about how ‘this wasn’t the Gloomdiamonds they know. I wasn’t really interested in hearing whatever story they had made up to elevate their status, so I just told them to get to hauling. There’s so much hauling that needs to be done.

I think he said his name was Ryukan? Whatever, I’m marking him down as a permanent hauler. That’s what he gets for coming to my fortress and going on about how important he is.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:37:17 am by Pyrite »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #329 on: December 04, 2016, 07:35:41 am »

Gloomdiamonds , not Doomforests.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43