Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1423043 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #7350 on: February 07, 2012, 06:18:13 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:50:28 am by Ogdibus »

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #7351 on: February 08, 2012, 07:03:58 am »

That is a really cool unibrow.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:03 am »

Pink hair eh? Must have some goblin blood in 'im.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: February 09, 2012, 12:52:11 pm »

I went out and bought some more pencils. Still doesn't look right to me. This is what a dwarf woman I drew looks like after I resampled the image to something smaller, and applied the erode effect, and the median effect, and increased the saturation in Paint Shop Pro. I also cleared some cruft from around the edges with the white paintbrush tool. Coloured pencils just aren't a precision tool! Still the overall effect is alright.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: February 09, 2012, 02:56:45 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:50:41 am by Ogdibus »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: February 09, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »

I like 'em. If you want serious burn-down criticism (constructive, of course :) ), get them over to the +Engravers Guild+.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: February 09, 2012, 04:22:26 pm »

I had another crack with coloured pencils. I like this one. I upped the saturation and contrast a bit, but otherwise haven't manipulated the image. I think I've conveyed motion pretty well; I can't look at this picture without mentally hearing the schwlip! of decapitation followed by the p pe pup p p of splatter hitting the floor followed by the pranngg! of the she-goblin behind getting clocked in the jaw with his shield.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Dziad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: February 11, 2012, 12:30:38 pm »

them badgers.. >:(

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: February 11, 2012, 12:34:22 pm »

Cool.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: February 11, 2012, 12:42:47 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:50:58 am by Ogdibus »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: February 11, 2012, 01:55:24 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! Clothing is tricky. I like big billowy trousers, but in reality it's very tricky to get trousers to billow quite right. Consequently it's difficult to draw them.

I try to draw dwarf armour very plain, because in DF, dwarves don't really decorate armour. Hopefully when the new version's out, we'll have the option to etch patterns into weapons and armour and engrave gems into weapons. The only problem is that that will interefere with gameplay elements, how the dwarves select equipment... Anyway, the point is that what I really like to draw is what's really going on in DF. For example, did you know that trolls are fully clothed, whilst cyclopes walk around stark bollock naked? I don't have the courage to illustrate that... yet.
But .... It's so small!

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: February 11, 2012, 03:00:26 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:51:34 am by Ogdibus »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: February 11, 2012, 04:32:43 pm »

I had another crack with coloured pencils. I like this one. I upped the saturation and contrast a bit, but otherwise haven't manipulated the image. I think I've conveyed motion pretty well; I can't look at this picture without mentally hearing the schwlip! of decapitation followed by the p pe pup p p of splatter hitting the floor followed by the pranngg! of the she-goblin behind getting clocked in the jaw with his shield.

Wow dude, I really, really like it! :D Well, apart from goblins being the losing side, 'course... :P
But no, really, although it is a little hard to make out finer details at first due to the 'softness' of coloured pencils, my eye was straight away drawn to the dwarf and the arc of his axe, and after that I figured out what was going on.
You've really captured the motion of combat, you can almost smell the trancing dwarf through the picture. :) I did at first mistake the shadows on the dwarf's pants for a leopard-skin pattern or something, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: February 11, 2012, 05:22:12 pm »

Stuff
Can't see any images, brah. Don't use photobucket! Use img.ie

I haven't seen your goblin yet, but I take it it's a sexy goblin? I like sexy goblins.

Thanks Yoink, I'm glad you like it. Hmm not got the hang of these pencils yet. Trouble with coloured pencils is that the difference in colours isn't subtle enough. That's why trouser shadow isn't quite right. Different materials have different coloured shadows (some shadows are 'greyed out', also, albedo makes a big difference.)

Also drew myself a new avatar for the forums. Not sure if I like it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But .... It's so small!

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: February 11, 2012, 06:02:55 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:52:09 am by Ogdibus »
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 561