Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Resurrecting a dead civ?  (Read 3894 times)

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
Resurrecting a dead civ?
« on: September 05, 2016, 06:47:24 pm »

How would one go about doing this?
If there are enslaved dwarves in a goblin civilisation, they won't emigrate to my fortresses, right?
But how about dwarves in an elven/human civvie? Would they?
I think I recall wilderness dwarves do so. At least, I have gotten a few waves of migrants, so they come from somewhere, at least.
Obviously a lot of luck in world gen if you hope to get migrants in significant number.
But at least one wave of migrants is hardcoded, right? Do they just spawn out of thin air?
And if I start more fortresses to up the number of total dwarves, will they just migrate from fortress to fortress, mitigating any new dwarves spawning/arriving?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrecting a dead civ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 07:21:49 pm »

I wonder what happens if you generate an adventurer from your fortress and then go into the goblin civilisation and claim it.  Does it join the dwarf civilisation?  Or does your adventurer start a new civilisation? I've been meaning to try it, but haven't had a chance yet.  Both would be interesting.  Earlier someone was saying that when an army marches on a city, the city *always* loses.  So it would be interesting if an adventurer could reclaim that land.  I wonder how it would affect worldgen.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 07:59:42 pm »

I wonder what happens if you generate an adventurer from your fortress and then go into the goblin civilisation and claim it.  Does it join the dwarf civilisation?  Or does your adventurer start a new civilisation? I've been meaning to try it, but haven't had a chance yet.  Both would be interesting.  Earlier someone was saying that when an army marches on a city, the city *always* loses.  So it would be interesting if an adventurer could reclaim that land.  I wonder how it would affect worldgen.
Adventurers cannot change the civilization that owns a site. If an adventurer claims a goblin fortress then they're just the leader of the goblin fortress now. It's still the goblins, and the adventurer in world generation will still act just like any other leader.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:28:01 pm »

Yeah, migrants can totally spawn out of thin air. In cases of dying civs, this could be all migrants as there are no longer any dwarves in the world.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:04:44 pm »

Adventurers cannot change the civilization that owns a site. If an adventurer claims a goblin fortress then they're just the leader of the goblin fortress now. It's still the goblins, and the adventurer in world generation will still act just like any other leader.
Are you sure about that? Pretty sure I once took over a goblin site that was previously of my human civ and it switched back to my side (peasants still complained about the take-over, but still...).

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 12:05:34 am »

How would one go about doing this?
If there are enslaved dwarves in a goblin civilisation, they won't emigrate to my fortresses, right?
But how about dwarves in an elven/human civvie? Would they?
I think I recall wilderness dwarves do so. At least, I have gotten a few waves of migrants, so they come from somewhere, at least.
Obviously a lot of luck in world gen if you hope to get migrants in significant number.
But at least one wave of migrants is hardcoded, right? Do they just spawn out of thin air?
And if I start more fortresses to up the number of total dwarves, will they just migrate from fortress to fortress, mitigating any new dwarves spawning/arriving?

The first two waves of migrants are hard-coded, but any after that have to come from your civilization. So if your civ died, good luck with a multi-generational fort!
As for building more fortresses, It seems like the migrants would wander from fort to fort like you described, but I don't have any experience with that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 03:11:49 am »

A truly dead civ gets the starting 7 + 2 migration waves as stated. The migrants are (almost?) always void dwarves. Apart from that, any dwarves in the fortress typically have to be generated manually (i.e. encouraged breeding), although in theory you could get dwarven visitors to become citizens. However, it's rare to have any dwarves at all in the world when the civ is dead, and if there are any they typically are necromancers (so far I've had a single case out of many where dwarves were members of other civs, and they weren't visiting).
If you retire your fortress and start a new one (or reclaim the mountainhome) you get normal migration waves of migrants from your previous fortress(es), so rebuilding the civ is dependent on breeding one way or another.

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 07:43:32 am »

Theoretically can't you create a bunch of low-pop forts, relying on those first two hard coded migrant waves to slowly build up a civ from nothing to at least something?

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:00:07 am »

How do forts act when you retire them? If you were relying on trade goods to keep them stable, do they collapse? If you have a very specific and nuanced way of handling Titans, do they still handle them or fall to them? If you've opened HFS, how do the demon respawns work for that and are they able to hold them at bay, and if not, does that become a goblin stronghold? If your fort is completely closed off from the surface, do they still send migrants? If you simply embark in a spot then retire, is that enough to get a civ started again, or will they all die without lodgings/food/infrastructure?

Low pop forts seem like they would succumb to the threats that made dwarves extinct in the first place. Nuanced forts seem like they'd collapse as AI wouldn't handle them the same. HFS forts seem like they would present all sorts of trouble for the world when retired.

More to the point however, is why would you want to spend so much time resurrecting a civ? Generally there are only a handful of modest spots and only one good spot on a world gen. Seems to me after you use the good/modest spots up, you'd probably want to move to another world, not necessarily continue it's history (which would be neat if you could just world gen another 100 years).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:34:13 am »

The two first waves are hard coded in the sense that they'll always occur and will generate void dorfs if real ones are not available. If real dorfs are available members of the first two waves tend to be drawn from existing populations.
You can, of course, set up a bunch of fortresses that allow only a small amount of immigration, but it's easier to get reproduction going in a single, larger fortress.

Retired fortresses are partially abstracted, so they'll probably not starve to death even if (non dwaven) caravans were used to keep them alive. Titan attacks are handled in retired fortresses the same way as in game generated ones, using some kind of abstract mechanism, so your careful defenses are useless, while all members being high level military dorfs should help, but numbers are important. However, your first fortress tends to kill off the titans...

If HFS is opened and not plugged properly I assume the fortress will fall. It will not be goblin controlled, however, since that's a world gen thing only.

I don't know if completely closed fortresses would send migrants, but would not be surprised if they do.

I don't know what it takes to revive a civ. Bringing the starting fortress up to metropolis level (almost 80 years), and then reclaiming the mountainhome wasn't enough (but I didn't continue after clearing out the completely water less mountainhome). I've seen it said that building up sufficient fortresses/pops can eventually achieve it, but don't know what it actually takes.

It's actually worse continuing in the same world, since world activation is broken. The civs crumble and die, i.e. their sites remain fully populated, but the civs themselves do not control the "free" sites, and gradually move over to the "struggling" side, with no members left.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 12:40:24 pm »

I don't know if completely closed fortresses would send migrants, but would not be surprised if they do.

That's an interesting science.  Must be sealed with natural walls via cave-in or obsidianized; and not sealed by constructed walls or raised bridges.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 03:58:19 am »

new fortresses often take migrants from your retired fortresses. I often get dwarves that I have already given job names to or some such. Retired a fort once after a weretortoise attack and the man who got bit migrated to my new fortress. Upon arrival to the dining hall he transformed and wiped out most of my fort, infecting his former wife and two sons before being beaten down by his cousin.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 11:42:12 am »

In my running test so far (4 tower neighbors),
1st retired 2-year old fortress, with 5 caged necromancers. 4 in caged, sealed in constructed walls, 1 in room with window overlooking arena and sealed in via locked hatch from above. 

2nd fortress, adjacent to 1st, but 1 region map tile south.  I notice that miners bring their steel picks, and are decorated with turkey bones.
One wood cutter brought along a steel battle axe, also decorated with turkey bones. 
The others, hunters, lashers, knife fighers, sworddwarfs came without their weapons.  So have a legendary knife fighter without his large iron knife.

Anyway, I'm thinking to just make a bunch of miners and wood cutters with good equipment before retiring.  So if they do migrate to the next fortress, they may bring their equipment along.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 01:13:08 pm »

In my single case of recovering the mountainhome after having built up a fortress of my own (retired), the migrants not only came with the equipment they were carrying, but they also arrived with the things they carried when I retired. Thus, the mason came carrying a boulder, while another dorf came carrying the corpse of a magma crab (the last thing I did was to kill off all captive critters that were not fully tame). Thus, decking out your dorfs in full candy equipment might get them to come wearing (and wielding) it, but I guess it's not guaranteed.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 03:26:08 pm »

Sounds like that instead of wearing, you want candy hauling loop.
Pages: [1] 2