Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Fuck you Microsoft  (Read 19261 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck you Microsoft
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 07:50:07 pm »

Ubuntu's WINE ppa works on mint just fine. 1.9.15 has many swanky features, and many modern windows titles work.  Much better than the stale 1.8.0 wine binaries in the default repo.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 08:59:44 am »

speaking of which I just upgraded my CPU

and

Spoiler: predictably (click to show/hide)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 01:55:04 pm »

Oh, so it also does that after its already been activated?

Whelp, just hit it with PicoKMS if it keeps complaining. Especially since Windows 10 likes to put a watermark over everything if its not activated, like some shareware video conversion software used to do...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 02:35:15 pm »

Whelp, just hit it with PicoKMS if it keeps complaining. Especially since Windows 10 likes to put a watermark over everything if its not activated, like some shareware video conversion software used to do...

but here's the thing, I *paid* for it

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 02:56:00 pm »

Isn't DRM great?

Gotta love it when the software vendor presumes you are a filthy thieving pirate, and then forces you to use piracy tools to have normal operation because of how paranoid they are about the platform's operation.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 03:24:10 pm »

yeah of all the process what I hate the most is the immediate assumption I'm a thief

I've to confirm three times I don't want to go to the shop before he tries to associate the device with the license  (and failing at that)

I've upgraded this pc all the way from xp to 10 going trough each operating system, many cpu and countless gpu and while I had to go trough some phone activations never I had something as  obtuse and obnoxious as this https://m.imgur.com/a/ZFQg8
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:27:43 pm by LoSboccacc »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 03:26:23 pm »

but here's the thing, I *paid* for it

I recall being able to solve similar issues over the phone through the MS helpdesk, though its a somewhat tedious process it may be preferable over a trip to the store.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 03:29:20 pm »

I tried and here's the thing, since it's an upgrade I need all the key in this pc history to rebuild the activation license (it's the new drm scheme, niot the key based one) and fuck I know where the first was

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 03:48:50 pm »

Not on the bottom of the unitb(laptop) or on the sticker on the side (commercial desktop) or on the jewel case of the windows install disk ( retail copy)?

Because keeping obsolete install media is something everyone should do, don't ya know.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 06:08:51 pm »

I do really just want to point out that as I said, there are better boards if you want to vent about Microsoft. I can't see I agree with you, but Life Advice really isn't the place, regardless. General Discussion comes to mind.

And if you used the free upgrade to Windows 10, it's hardware-based, yeah. Actually bought versions of Windows 10 ("Actually bought" as in "directly bought windows 10", not "bought windows 7 then took the free upgrade" should have similar/the same protection as previous versions.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 06:18:14 pm »

So Win 10 now profiles your hardware installation and assumes any change is a new license? Or is it just the upgrade?

Previously that shit only happened with OEM copies of Windows sold to laptop manufacturers. Now the fucking Desktop version of Windows 10 does that too? ><

Fuck you Microsoft.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 06:49:46 pm »

I tried and here's the thing, since it's an upgrade I need all the key in this pc history to rebuild the activation license (it's the new drm scheme, niot the key based one) and fuck I know where the first was

That is... pointlessly contrived?

Why would they even do that? Pirates sure aren't going to be bothered by it, well-meaning customers are going to be considerably less well meaning, MS customer service is going to get swamped with this nonsense and yet more users are going to be encouraged to consider finding something else than the company that can't seem to stop treating its customers with outright disdain and belittlement.

Though that is actually a recurring theme DRM software. The general consensus on that is 'they do it because shareholders and high level management are stupid'.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 06:52:22 pm »

I do really just want to point out that as I said, there are better boards if you want to vent about Microsoft. I can't see I agree with you, but Life Advice really isn't the place, regardless. General Discussion comes to mind.
LA is close enough, the computer advice thread is in here.

Either way, I'm not surprised the drm assumes everything is a thief. Thats literally the only thing its good at, because it certainly can't protect a damn thing for long.

That is... pointlessly contrived?

Why would they even do that? Pirates sure aren't going to be bothered by it, well-meaning customers are going to be considerably less well meaning, MS customer service is going to get swamped with this nonsense and yet more users are going to be encouraged to consider finding something else than the company that can't seem to stop treating its customers with outright disdain and belittlement.
This is how DRM works. Its like putting your valuable item in several layers of boxes, each one more contrived then the next, and none of them safe against some random guy with a lockpick and a box cutter.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 06:56:31 pm »

locks dont keep thieves out.

locks keep honest people honest.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 07:23:52 pm »

locks dont keep thieves out.

locks keep honest people honest.
Except when the honest person finds that the lock inconveniences them beyond a certain point ("I only moved the box from one room to another, and now I can't open it?") then that honest person may become an honest person who has necessarily had to learn a thief's tricks. One step closer to being an actual thief, whatever they currently intend.

Either that or they sod that for a game of soldiers and move on to another hobby...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10