Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 876512 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

Hiding half the tile neighboring hidden areas the same way the multi-level shadow is done currently wouldn't be too bad.
hiding the lower 1/4 of the above tile would absolutely be enough.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hiding half the tile neighboring hidden areas the same way the multi-level shadow is done currently wouldn't be too bad.
hiding the lower 1/4 of the above tile would absolutely be enough.

Hiding part of the tile is an implementation method that I hadn't really considered. It could certainly work.

However, I have an actual demo now:

This is using Meph's tileset plus some additional overrides:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm no artist, so I didn't try to make completely new tiles to use here; I just reused the existing ones.

The mask is currently 8 bits wide, with one bit per neighbor. The bit is a 1 if the tile is walkable, and a 0 otherwise. This is not quite the right test (I'm sure you'll be able to think of a few ways it will go wrong), but it was easy to implement; it's easy enough to write a better test now that we have something to play with. Also, one bit per neighbor might not be enough (it can't distinguish between a neighbor which is smooth and a neighbor which is raw stone, for one thing).

The code is here: https://github.com/mifki/df-twbt/pull/82

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

what i meant was what if the top of each full height tile overlappen with the lowest 1/4 of the tile to the north?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what i meant was what if the top of each full height tile overlappen with the lowest 1/4 of the tile to the north?

That might also be made to work. It would require that TWBT allow tiles to spill outside the current tile size, and that it sort them correctly. Make a mockup and see how it works :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

db48x: That does look interesting, especially if I don't necessarily have to make more tiles/sprites. Could you upload the TWBT plugin and a little how-to, if you find the time?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

db48x: That does look interesting, especially if I don't necessarily have to make more tiles/sprites. Could you upload the TWBT plugin and a little how-to, if you find the time?

I can only build it on Linux, but here you go: http://db48x.net/temp/twbt.plug.so

The only difference is that all overrides have an extra parameter for the mask, and you can leave it blank if you want the override to apply for all masks: tile:T:type:walkmask:tileset:newtile:fg:bg. Put overries with a specific mask before overrides that match any mask.

RadGH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tiny bug report. I noticed these four whatever-they-are aren't on the grid:

I noticed it through I think it was a cat corpse in a refuse pile, had a white line along the bottom of its skeleton tile (confirmed). It's in _MDF_trees.png, bottom right.

EDIT:

Also, why is marble green in the new version? Particularly marble doors. Using Phoebus palette.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 12:56:13 am by RadGH »

Setari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi Meph-team, small bug report I suppose. I put down a up/down staircase and was trying to click on it repeatedly and the game crashed. Windows 10, Intel 8600 processor if that matters. Thanks!

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Meph,

Any chance to get the barebones set with all your newest additions - it still seems to be v2.3?
Or, of course, a 44.10  "with all things pre-installed" version :)

cheers
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tiny bug report. I noticed these four whatever-they-are aren't on the grid:

_MDF_trees.png:
 in _MDF_trees.png all remain tiles shifted to 1 pixel to up regarding such tiles in -top\bg. - mistake in main png.

Meph_32x32.png:
  in Meph_32x32.png tile of remain (tile #253) shifted to 1 pixel to left  regarding such tiles in -top\bg. - mistake in main png.
Also tiles of waterwheel shifted to 1 pixel up in _MDF_trees.png.
In all Meph_32x32.png(-top\bg) on coffin tile (#64) there is an unwanted translucent line on the right side.

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi Meph, there's an incorrect override entry in overrides.txt: at line 3979 there is
Code: [Select]
[OVERRIDE:43:T:MineralFloorSmooth:_MDF_overrides_6:234]Which makes smoothed mineral floors (which can appear after using the dfhack command 'fixveins') appear as northwestern walls.

Edit: Found more issues about the graphic overrides.
1. MineralWallWorn1~3 & MineralStairU/D/UD are using the wrong sprites like MineralFloorSmooth;
2. StoneWallSmoothLRUD is rendered too dark; (It uses the sprite in _MDF_items.png while other smoothed stone walls use the sprites in _MDF_decorations_3.png)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:31:31 am by Qrox »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Too chaotic? (Bars and blocks)

Shouldn't there be multiple blocks per tile stacked in a similar manner to the bars? (seeing as they're carved into 4 smaller blocks per boulder). Also feels kind of weird to have them differ that much in size imo.

Could one also perhaps make the more neatly stacked bar graphic more common throughout, to give a sliiightly more ordered appearance? (maybe it's just me tho imagining dwarves to be a bit more ordered than that). Amazing work anyhow ^^

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its way more interesting to look at with the variation in size of blocks and more varied bar stack sizes. I think in a computer game, especially a block based one, things can get very repetitive and patern-y quickly, and even if it makes more "sense" for blocks to be the same and smaller and orderly, it just looks way better to not.

In other words we should embrace chaos when we can visually because so much tends towards order already.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its way more interesting to look at with the variation in size of blocks and more varied bar stack sizes. I think in a computer game, especially a block based one, things can get very repetitive and patern-y quickly, and even if it makes more "sense" for blocks to be the same and smaller and orderly, it just looks way better to not.

In other words we should embrace chaos when we can visually because so much tends towards order already.

I didn't say I'd prefer to have the blocks be all the same, there's obviously a balance to be struck between complete chaos and complete order but let's just agree to disagree ^^

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Fixed all the reported issues with the mineral wall/stair/floor overrides and the moved pixels on the windmill/remains.

Edit: I think the variety works well with webs too:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:44:02 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 187