Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 876507 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Suggestion: I take the dwarf sprites we have right now, make them grey, add a socket, add a stronger border, and tada!, we have statues. I can easily whip up a set of 256 different statues that way, which also fit the dwarf design. Statues build ingame get a random sprite from the selection, that way you barely ever have two statues looking the same.

Mock-up:

I'll leave "special" materials like obsidian or marble or gold statues alone, that way players can still decorate with symmetry, if they like.

What do you think?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mrok Girl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds like a good idea! Would that mean that you'll use the other statue sprites for other materials and have only the stone one be randomised?

Also, love the spiderwebs :)
Newcastle 5 Chambers megaproject.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you think?
I think the high dwarven art is antagonist for ungodly realism - only totem-like and other abstractions.
And now seriously - yet there must be a clear difference for a dwarf and his statue - especially when consider, that the legendary dwarves are blinking gray.
It's only my opinion.

RadGH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the random variance of tiles is getting out of hand, honestly. Water and magma were OK, but webs and statues being randomized isn't something I would want. I like symmetry and consistency. Your work looks great Meph, but it's just not something I would want to turn on. At this point it would kind of be a dealbreaker in my choice to use the tileset :(

Is there or will there be a way to disable the random tiles? Hopefully with an option to keep animated water/magma (although I am still worried that will get annoying, haven't tried it yet).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:55:19 pm by RadGH »

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the webs are great, and can't wait to try out the statues.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Now I'm wondering what it'd take to be able to show what's actually on the statues.

Certainly tons of sprites. Every creature, plant, and shape, is a possible candidate.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Now I'm wondering what it'd take to be able to show what's actually on the statues.

Certainly tons of sprites. Every creature, plant, and shape, is a possible candidate.
Too many. Statues can show entire stories, not only every creature/object, but a combination of them, and in combination with a posture/gesture, or a historical event. Far too many options.

I think the random variance of tiles is getting out of hand, honestly. Water and magma were OK, but webs and statues being randomized isn't something I would want. I like symmetry and consistency. Your work looks great Meph, but it's just not something I would want to turn on. At this point it would kind of be a dealbreaker in my choice to use the tileset :(

Is there or will there be a way to disable the random tiles? Hopefully with an option to keep animated water/magma (although I am still worried that will get annoying, haven't tried it yet).
The random selection comes from a single line in the overrides txt, it would be easy to disable. I can kinda understand that you dislike statues not looking the same, but why webs? Their design is consistent, but you won't find perfectly symmetrical spider webs in RL.

What do you think?
I think the high dwarven art is antagonist for ungodly realism - only totem-like and other abstractions.
And now seriously - yet there must be a clear difference for a dwarf and his statue - especially when consider, that the legendary dwarves are blinking gray.
It's only my opinion.
Being grey, unmoving, non-blinking and with a socket should put the statues apart from dwarves. I kinda like the idea that they look similar, since dwarves are great craftsmen and their statues probably look really well made. And you made 216 extra military/undead/skeleton dwarves, which are never used anywhere, plus the evil dwarves... I could easily use 256 dwarven sprites that never made it ingame so far.

That sounds like a good idea! Would that mean that you'll use the other statue sprites for other materials and have only the stone one be randomised?

Also, love the spiderwebs :)
Yes, that's the idea. Stone statues can be mass produced, and they get the new feature of different looks, while people that like symmetry (like Radgh) can use other materials to get uniform statues that look the same.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Too many. Statues can show entire stories, not only every creature/object, but a combination of them, and in combination with a posture/gesture, or a historical event. Far too many options.
Actually, artwork simply contains a list of images and the connections between them. One could just show the first image in the list. It'd be an incomplete picture, but it'd be something.

But it's still way too many images.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

Actually, artwork simply contains a list of images and the connections between them. One could just show the first image in the list. It'd be an incomplete picture, but it'd be something.

But it's still way too many images.
remember your mayor in a fearful pose surrounded by lizards? would possibly result in just a dwarven statue of him without the lizards and no pose visible.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Ingame test with granite and quartzite statues:

And statue tileset:

Edit: Optional.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:55:37 am by Meph »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

i hope this is not an inappropriate question:
how can i edit the rock walls to always drop an item? is there a way to edit them without changing your overrides?
when i carve away a mountain to build a tower, i barely get any stone for building. it feels like only every fourth tile drops anything at all.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

how can i edit the rock walls to always drop an item? is there a way to edit them without changing your overrides?
when i carve away a mountain to build a tower, i barely get any stone for building. it feels like only every fourth tile drops anything at all.
That has nothing to do with tilesets and you can't change that at all. There will always be a 25% chance. From the wiki: "Mining a rock tile leaves behind a loose stone (or just "stone") roughly 25% of the time". Can't be modded.

But you can make a reaction that takes 1 boulder and splits it into more blocks than just 4.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

That has nothing to do with tilesets and you can't change that at all. There will always be a 25% chance. From the wiki: "Mining a rock tile leaves behind a loose stone (or just "stone") roughly 25% of the time". Can't be modded.

But you can make a reaction that takes 1 boulder and splits it into more blocks than just 4.
hmmm okay.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki

wow making statue images out of normal dwarf (and possibly other) sprites is an excellent idea. Although currently brightness varies too much across the tiles.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

If you refer to the screenshot, some of them are made of dark rock (granite), others of bright rock (quartzite).

Edit: Varied soil and root tiles:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:38:02 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 187