Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 876474 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.03 - updated 11th March
« Reply #2640 on: February 25, 2021, 03:20:11 am »

My solution would be to talk to Tarn directly about it, once we get to the point that a release is imminent. His opinion is important to me. If he says it's ok, it's ok.

That being said, it would be relatively easy to have this up and running as a day0 patch, so to speak. The largest amount of work on the Steam version is the UI rework. There would be plenty of time to finish MephSteamSet before release.

Mods will become both easier and harder. Inetragting mods should become easier, but adding graphics that fit well will be harder. If most people play ascii or relatively simple 256-tile tilesets, adding content is easier than making some with 32x32 sprites that have to match the SteamDF style.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SuperPluck

• Bay Watcher
  • Quack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: February 25, 2021, 04:11:24 am »

Just to give my two cents here:

I feel your conflict, Meph. I think it's a valid point specially since a success on the Steam release is bound to benefit the community as a whole. And having a free up-to-date, new-graphics-ready mod at day 0 would basically kill the only selling point of premium, which is the tileset made by you and Mike.

I would definetely talk with Tarn about this and maybe a good compromise would be to hold your release for some time (let's say a year) or until the first mod comes around. So you wouldn't feel like taking advantage of your inside knowledge

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: February 25, 2021, 07:54:53 pm »

On the other hand, we (the bay12 community that doesn't buy the game on Steam) will need some form of tileset that uses the new updates.

Is it a requirement to have a free graphics pack to make the game work with the new UI? If there's anything that the game absolutely requires, maybe those parts of the graphics should be included? But I'm guessing that it can probably fallback on "ASCII"-style graphics.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: February 25, 2021, 08:23:28 pm »

My understanding is that the new UI will work just fine in ascii, and is still using the same grid.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: February 25, 2021, 08:32:37 pm »

On the other hand, we (the bay12 community that doesn't buy the game on Steam) will need some form of tileset that uses the new updates.

Is it a requirement to have a free graphics pack to make the game work with the new UI? If there's anything that the game absolutely requires, maybe those parts of the graphics should be included? But I'm guessing that it can probably fallback on "ASCII"-style graphics.
It's not a requirement, but likely the way graphics will work is going to change, which means there won't be any day 1 graphical sets when the new release hits (depending on how much info tileset makers get before the release). And of course, nothing will be anywhere near the complexity of Steam set for a long time except Mephset.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2645 on: February 26, 2021, 03:02:37 am »

Especially without TWBT and dfhack.

But I'll get a thread ready with some tutorials, after I get the ok by Tarn/Kitfox, and see if I can find some completely finished stuff that's unlikely to change till the release and teach people how it works. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: February 26, 2021, 05:44:16 pm »

As usual, I'm far behind the times here.  From reading the recent comments here, it sounds like the ASCII UI is going away after the Steam release?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: February 26, 2021, 06:24:38 pm »

As usual, I'm far behind the times here.  From reading the recent comments here, it sounds like the ASCII UI is going away after the Steam release?
The UI is going away yes. Being replaced with something more user friendly and mouse controlled (or with keyboard shortcuts for those who prefer not to use a mouse)

The Curses tileset (or whatever ascii-like tileset you replace it with) will be used to build the UI elements if you don't have graphics turned on. Otherwise graphics will be used (on day 1 that'll be choice of Steam set if you buy the game on Steam or Mephset).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:27:09 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2648 on: February 26, 2021, 07:12:47 pm »

Modded content works:

I'm just testing a few things to find out myself if it works. There are new hardcoded limitations on the new features that no one has tested yet. ^^

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: February 26, 2021, 08:15:50 pm »

Testing if you can move around a dynamic light source?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2650 on: February 27, 2021, 04:35:39 am »

It's more a weapon with a transparent halo, but yeah. It covers nearby objects. :)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: February 27, 2021, 12:36:27 pm »

Just release dwarf changes first and the rest in increments. Should be no issue changing the dwarves day 1, humans/ goblins 2 weeks later. Or a month or 2 after release which ever(I'd be changing them for myself as soon as I got it at least, I don't really like those dwarves). Anyways you didn't release the entire meph set at once, there's no issue doing it in parts, even if you have it all done  :P.

Df has been around for a long time, even if your mod is out first it's not gonna stop people from making their own off of what they prefer and sharing it. I don't really see it being an issue with stopping people from buying the game either. Modding helps keep games alive, and in far larger numbers (ease of modding helps that even more so, df being decently simple to mod txt files(non df hack stuff) ).

It'd be nice if df could get a Achtung! mod like rimworld has so you can position your archers ect where you want them without zoning specially for that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2652 on: February 28, 2021, 09:18:04 am »

It has to be all at once.

The SteamDF sprites can't be used on the free version.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: February 28, 2021, 02:36:47 pm »

Its anyway going to be hard to choose. On the one hand, the new skin looks beautiful, on the other hand though I am going to miss DFHack and all its bugfixes and enhancements...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: March 01, 2021, 05:41:16 am »

Its anyway going to be hard to choose. On the one hand, the new skin looks beautiful, on the other hand though I am going to miss DFHack and all its bugfixes and enhancements...
Why would DFHack not work in the premium DF?

There's been no indication that that will change.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 187