Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62558 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2017, 11:54:39 am »

I was mildly interested in the Switch before, but the "MP requires a sub fee" and "battery life of 2.5-6hrs" means I'm no longer interested. I know people are dying to have the new Zelda, but apparently it's coming out on the WiiU too, and if you don't already have a WiiU, I wager one ought to be significantly cheaper than the Switch, and probably more available too.

I used to subscribe* to one of those console MP services: xbox live gold. I stopped because I was barely using it, wasn't playing the free games they were throwing at me (unless my computer was unusable), and rather preferred playing games on my PC instead.

Playing halo 4 MP, or any of the call of duties, etc, it was really obvious that dedicated servers weren't in use, because occasionally a player would drop and it would pause or restart the game to transfer hosting to another player, and when I was lucky enough to randomly end up being the host, it doubled my apparent skill level due to suddenly having 0 ping time. And of course playing Halo Wars, a player had to host that too.

XBL also had serious trouble with having more than one client (console) in the same LAN in the same game, because I guess MS never bothered to implement NAT punchthrough.

Honestly, I'd much rather play MP games on PC. Not only is there no subscription fee (except for non-f2p mmos), it's often a better experience because of dedicated servers (and because steam facilitates NAT punchthrough, etc etc). Yes, someone is paying for dedicated servers and nat punchthrough and etc. That doesn't mean it makes sense to pay MS/Sony/Nintendo for a service that lacks them. If that money hasn't been put into dedicated servers before, why would it be now?

* using the one-year cards on amazon when they were ~$45 instead of $60, which happened from time to time throughout the year

P.S. On xbox, downloading (games) is so much slower than on steam, and the cloud save feature becomes unusable if you aren't subscribed to XBLive gold. I haven't used PSN (don't have a playstation, and never have) and my first, last, and only Nintendo console was the Wii (I wasn't impressed).

P.P.S. In the era of the NES and SNES I had (Read: My parents had, and I used) a Commodore 64/128. ;)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2017, 12:07:09 pm »

Well, we don't know the actual price point. Nothing's been said.

Also that's literally $5 a month. You spend more on food in a day.

No, I spend less on food in a day.

Right now I only care about Zelda, so not worth any price until there's a backlog of games.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2017, 12:59:55 pm »

XBL also had serious trouble with having more than one client (console) in the same LAN in the same game, because I guess MS never bothered to implement NAT punchthrough.
A bit off topic but that annoys me so much.  Probably about a FOURTH of the calls I got when I worked comcast internet tech support was 2 xboxes not playing nice, and then the XBox people blaming the problem on us.

The solution is to DMZ one of the XBoxes, so that one of them isn't going through the NAT(if you have more than 2 you are SOL)  But noooo, once comcast found out we have a solution to a longtime problem, we get written up for compromising the customer's security, and that the solution is 'to tell the customer to return the xbox as defective to get a new one.' or 'refer the customer to microsoft for xbox live issues.'

I ended up having to manually walk customers through how to do those steps themselves, since we aren't just allowed to DMZ it ourselves anymore.  Which took ages, and got our supervisors mad at us for taking too long.  All of which could have been avoided if microsoft bothered to properly support a network architecture from the last 2 decades instead of just half assing it.

EDIT: And No I wasn't supposed to walk the customers through the steps either, but when we modify the settings ourselves everything we do is logged and checked, when we just walk them through it all we get is a recording no-one in charge bothers listening to.
[/off topic rant]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:05:42 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2017, 01:37:21 pm »

Keep fighting the good fight.

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2017, 03:03:33 pm »

I'm sorry, I just can't feel outrage anymore. Literally every single thing these days gets turned into demands for protest and a fight, and I just do not have it in me to fight over things that, frankly, I just don't give a shit about. Of you want to boycott Nintendo over, of all things, requiring a monthly payment to play multiplayer games, then be my guest. Just don't expect me to join you,

Also, stop framing this as "publishers". It's the console company, not the publisher. Which there are 3. All now following the same practice.

We were never asking you to join us. Though sorry that the fact that we don't love paying more for less hurts you so deeply.

We should all learn that we should capitulate to corporate demands no matter what it is, no matter how many times they do it... So that we maintain order.

Perhaps the government should enact laws to protect corporate interests against the average consumer. To get rid of their pesky "Wanting maximum supply for minimum price" part of economics.

Or rather... Ispil come on! no one is asking you to boycott Nintendo... Nor does presenting their side as "WHAAA! five dollars is too much man!" a fair assessment when basic economic understanding suggests otherwise. In fact the entire reason people are getting heated up here is BECAUSE people are going "It is only five dollars! and it is such a great deal because it is five dollars", which kind of ignores the issue people are having.

Which isn't that it is five dollars, but five dollars for something that is essentially free (or already paid for) for something that isn't being supplied in an exceptional form... with absolutely no alternative BUT to capitulate given by consoles... for full price games that are often entirely internet based anyway.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:10:45 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2017, 03:11:43 pm »

No, it's over principle. I said that before, and I said that I don't care. I have enough wars over principle, and don't want to add another.

No, it is not over principle... It is over needless expense.

This isn't a profound truth or chain of reasoning...

Give us our money's worth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2017, 03:15:18 pm »

You oppose them charging you for something that is free. That is a matter of principle.

I oppose them charging for nothing... Not for something that is free. It isn't a principle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2017, 03:18:03 pm »

Do we really need to argue semantics here?

Yes, because your using dismissive language. A sort of "It doesn't matter what you are saying, or what you are talking about... but because what you are saying is technically this key word... it means everything you say is invalid and you are being irrational for doing so".

So I have to dig the conversation up from the grave you are trying to put it in.

It is essentially the same thing as if you said everyone is entitled. It doesn't MEAN anything... it is just a word that means "Your ideas are invalid"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:20:01 pm by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2017, 03:21:53 pm »

I don't think refusing to engage in an argument is a crime, Neo.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2017, 03:23:19 pm »

If that was what was going on sure!

People don't say things randomly or entirely by accident. Their works are intentional and directed.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2017, 03:35:32 pm »

If that was what was going on sure!

People don't say things randomly or entirely by accident. Their works are intentional and directed.

I don't know about that.

Quote from: an irc channel
<Antofdeath> The only thing missing from HP was that magick wasnt cataltic and often only had a single cause effect chain

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2017, 03:40:39 pm »

Spirit of calm envelops the thread, in case something gets out of hand here.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2017, 03:42:27 pm »

It was already over, and neither me nor Ispil were really going to continue.

---

The odd thing is I done the math... It means it will cost about $300 dollars just to own a Nintendo Switch... on top of its ordinary price.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:46:27 pm by Neonivek »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2017, 05:41:58 pm »

Protip guys, if you think something's too expensive, you don't have to make a big angry internet boycott to not buy it.

You could just, not buy it. Because it's expensive. I mean, that's a perfectly good reason not to buy something. It's also a good reason to be concerned even if you're going to buy it anyway, because a piece of hardware like this needs a lot of adopters to be successful. See: Dreamcast, Rift/Vive headsets...

Also, controllers are expensive as hell ($80 for a pair of joycons, $70 for a pro gamepad!!!), as are additional docks ($90). Compare that to competing consoles with $50 controllers. That's a hard sell. I like the idea of buying a switch, but that's enough to make me wait until at least the 2017 holiday season or later to see if prices go down.

Also, I'm calling it now: I bet you that the dock does not even have active cooling, and the decision to change clock rates between docked/undocked is entirely driven by battery life.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2017, 05:46:33 pm »

No one is boycotting :P

It is just another thing to set up against the Nintendo Switch is the knowledge that people will have to pony up an extra 300 dollars that they could spend on... I dunno... a 3ds with awesome games.

It is no more a boycott then not buying a expensive new car is a boycott just because it can only take premium gas.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:50:02 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37