Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62553 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2017, 04:28:52 pm »

Do we know how much the online fee is yet?   It could just be like pokebank and be a piddly tiny amount that barely pays for chat servers. 

I mean hell, the short stint when I owned my own server pc it cost me more per month keeping it running(admittedly it was the computer equivalent of a fix-er-upper) than the pokebank cost all year.
From what I've heard its going to be around $60 annually, the same as PS+ and Xbox Live Gold.  Hopefully there will also be monthly options.

And just like the PlayStation and Xbox that annual fee will be totally worth it!*

*isn't worth it

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2017, 05:29:07 pm »

Yah no way am I playing that much to play online. They can keep there chat rooms and stuff if there going to charge that much. If I want to talk to someone I'm going to go to discord.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2017, 06:02:47 pm »

So a choice between adding 5 bucks to my food budget or maybe having the privilege of playing Splatoon 2 online after I had already spent the money to actually buy it.

Yeah I think I'm just going to save those 5 bucks and buy slightly better quality groceries, cheers.  :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2017, 06:03:44 pm »

Well, we don't know the actual price point. Nothing's been said.

Also that's literally $5 a month. You spend more on food in a day.

Yes... but imagine if someone attached a stopper to your sink and said "Hey, if you want to use your own water? You have to pay me five bucks a month for the privilege" you would kick him out of your freeken house... You wouldn't go "Ohh only five bucks a day?"

That is what these console fees are... They are basically holding your own internet for ransom and COULD be justified if they were... I dunno... using the money on those internet services... But they aren't.

Hence why it isn't worth it. Heck the PlayStation begs you for money even if you don't pay for it.

---

AT LEAST when places that ban outside food and overcharge for their own... They cannot reasonably allow outside food... AND often provide ways to leave the park, get food yourself, and then come back.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2017, 06:12:34 pm »

So a choice between adding 5 bucks to my food budget or maybe having the privilege of playing Splatoon 2 online after I had already spent the money to actually buy it.

Yeah I think I'm just going to save those 5 bucks and buy slightly better quality groceries, cheers.  :P
You mean the privilege of using fancy private servers you don't own, supported by an expensive network backbone you couldn't afford, powered by a lot of electricity you'd rather save, and with a netcode developed by people paid in something better than ramen noodles and reduced beatings?

Console online services are not a gate placed to use your own internet or the software you bought, they're an entire additional infrastructure. Don't be surprised that if you aren't paying for it, it'll either be riddled with advertisements or just shit. Or both.

The reason Nintendo's netplay has been so on the down low compared to Sony and Microsoft is because they couldn't afford to support it, nor did they have any reason to.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2017, 06:19:21 pm »

The reason Nintendo's netplay has been so on the down low compared to Sony and Microsoft is because they couldn't afford to support it, nor did they have any reason to.

No... it is because the Gimped it on purpose.

Also yeah their "Fancy private servers" can you... provide evidence of such? Just show me where this sheer amount of money is ACTUALLY being put in... and I mean more then what any typical company would do.

It is why I said that they do not pay back the money they charge you through good and valuable service. They are just holding your own internet hostage. Though yes as someone brought up, they are still charging you full price for games.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:21:16 pm by Neonivek »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2017, 06:21:38 pm »

Makeing us pay to play a game online? Really? I hope they don't mean that if I go out and buy a multiplayer game I don't have to pay more just to use it. That would just be stupid. Internet bills alone are expensive.
Welcome to the current console generation, where free multiplayer is now the sole domain of pc games.
At least sony makes up for it by giving out free games in psplus.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2017, 06:22:22 pm »

Makeing us pay to play a game online? Really? I hope they don't mean that if I go out and buy a multiplayer game I don't have to pay more just to use it. That would just be stupid. Internet bills alone are expensive.
Welcome to the current console generation, where free multiplayer is now the sole domain of pc games.

And Consoles are SERIOUSLY freeken wondering why they are losing to PC... They are throwing away all their advantages constantly.

Man imagine how long their install processes would be if they didn't charge you monthly :P

Hey Steam... You don't charge anything to use you... How the world do you have a faster download and install time then a lot of PlayStation games that come on DVD?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:24:26 pm by Neonivek »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2017, 06:28:30 pm »

Steam technically does require you to buy at least something for access to some features, to deal with new-account-spamming. But playing games on it is not one of those.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2017, 06:35:11 pm »

You mean the privilege of using fancy private servers you don't own, supported by an expensive network backbone you couldn't afford, powered by a lot of electricity you'd rather save, and with a netcode developed by people paid in something better than ramen noodles and reduced beatings?

Console online services are not a gate placed to use your own internet or the software you bought, they're an entire additional infrastructure. Don't be surprised that if you aren't paying for it, it'll either be riddled with advertisements or just shit. Or both.

Yes, because games cost 60 bucks just because that's what it costs to develop them and the Switch will also cost 300 bucks because that's exactly what it costs to make one, and the cost of the games on the eshop and virtual console will also be exactly the price that it costs to host and distribute those files.

Poor old Nintendo, the multi-billion dollar corporation, they just can't seem to catch a break from these ordinary people who try to scam them out of their hard-earned money by demanding basic shit like the ability to play their games as intended.

I will start giving them money to help them host their servers only when they stop marking up the prices for their games and consoles to make a profit. They want money to host and operate servers? Maybe have a well-stocked eShop with reasonable release schedules and mark up the games on there for a dollar or so more.

Unless they feel so insecure as to their own future as a storefront that they cannot even rely on a steady cashflow from it due to their godawful practices with the place.

I have no sympathy for Nintendo nor any other corporation pulling this. They're doing it for a single reason and that is quite simply, because they can. On PC developers can't do this shit. Which is why they don't. And oh boy do I see all those big PC multiplayer titles just dropping like flies every day, can't go a single day without a game with a large playerbase shutting down its servers because the publishers just can't afford the horrifying expense of running the servers.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2017, 06:38:45 pm »

Regarding pay for online, it's part of the reason I skipped on the PS4 to begin with. I was fine with PS+ on PS3 because it was optional so I could just ignore it.

Perhaps related: I heard in passing a while ago of an experiment involving Hershey's Kisses. When given the option to pay 1 cent for a Hershey's Kiss or more for better chocolate, people will buy the better chocolate. When they change the price of the Kiss to 'free' then people will take the free chocolate over the more expensive stuff because it's free. I feel that people who are used to not having to pay for playing multiplayer games will scoff at the idea of paying 5 dollars a month to be able to play multiplayer on a console.

It is curious how they decided to make the first few months a sort of 'free trial' where you don't have to pay, but it seems sometime in autumn they're going to be implementing the pay wall. I'm wondering why they decided to wait on it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2017, 06:40:57 pm »

Regarding pay for online, it's part of the reason I skipped on the PS4 to begin with. I was fine with PS+ on PS3 because it was optional so I could just ignore it.

Perhaps related: I heard in passing a while ago of an experiment involving Hershey's Kisses. When given the option to pay 1 cent for a Hershey's Kiss or more for better chocolate, people will buy the better chocolate. When they change the price of the Kiss to 'free' then people will take the free chocolate over the more expensive stuff because it's free. I feel that people who are used to not having to pay for playing multiplayer games will scoff at the idea of paying 5 dollars a month to be able to play multiplayer on a console.

It is curious how they decided to make the first few months a sort of 'free trial' where you don't have to pay, but it seems sometime in autumn they're going to be implementing the pay wall. I'm wondering why they decided to wait on it?

Because, as I said, they are trying to put your own internet up for ransom.

So... Offer you some free internet usage... let you get a few multiplayer games... get addicted... and BOOM! You are hooked for life and they are you drug dealer.

Also ONCE FREEKEN AGAIN! "Better"? Once again there is this inference that Sony and Microsoft somehow provide better internet services through that internet fees...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »

Tbh, I've usually thought recently that nintendo might do better to just stick to hardware and first-party titles and hire someone else to deal with online functionality. They can do the former well, but NFC was clunky, they only recently finally decided on a single account system when they put out the Nintendo Account thing, and I'm sure they haven't gotten any better at designing the switch's incarnation of online.

Also Neon, PSPlus is clearly better than live, last I checked. Live just gives you multiplayer, psplus is multiplayer plus free games monthly.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:43:55 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2017, 06:45:10 pm »

Also Neon, PSPlus is clearly better than live, last I checked. Live just gives you multiplayer, psplus is multiplayer plus free games monthly.

:P I like to imagine your being sarcastic :P

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2017, 06:47:23 pm »

One could argue that PS+ is 'better' because of free games (that you probably aren't going to play). People who haven't been playing on PC will likely see the pay for multiplayer stuff like they would see a Netflix subscription. The rest of us know better.

I'm not trying to say that Nintendo pulling this is a good thing, I'm just saying I'm not entirely surprised... unfortunately.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37