Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62257 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2017, 01:28:06 pm »

Do they have more information up somewhere? What is the demo they are offering?
From what I gathered from the stream the other day they're going to use your phone as your microphone for voice chat which would be terrible.

To admit I am doing a hyperbole.

I only know that you get one NES game a month... but after that month you no longer have access to it. I do not know if you get to pick or if they pick (likely they do)

So ok, calling it a demo is disingenuous as you can fully beat just about any game in a single month.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2017, 01:33:32 pm »

Have they announced anything about the Virtual Console? It could be a way to get people to buy more VC games (assuming they decide the trial wasn't enough).
Of course if they don't do something like linking your VC games to your Nintendo account then it might not be worth it considering how every time a new console comes out you have to end up re-buying all your virtual console games. Typical Nintendo maneuver.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2017, 02:08:34 pm »

I'm buying the switch day one. Along with Zelda.
I have the wiiU but I would prefer to get the best version

Plus.
Xenoblade chronicles two? Yes please.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2017, 03:23:20 pm »

From what I gathered from the stream the other day they're going to use your phone as your microphone for voice chat which would be terrible.

I only know that you get one NES game a month... but after that month you no longer have access to it. I do not know if you get to pick or if they pick (likely they do)

So ok, calling it a demo is disingenuous as you can fully beat just about any game in a single month.
NES and SNES, changing every month. Last I heard, everyone is getting the same game "demoed" because they are implementing online play for them and everyone having the same game in demo mode ensures there would be no shortage of players. It's basically incentive for you to grab the game and a showcase of the VC online ability.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2017, 03:25:37 pm »

So... it is an advertisement of an advertisement? Goodness :P

But it is Nintendo and it is better then the last time they handed out demos as a "Feature" which would be in their Smash Bros game...

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2017, 03:33:14 pm »

NES and SNES, changing every month. Last I heard, everyone is getting the same game "demoed" because they are implementing online play for them and everyone having the same game in demo mode ensures there would be no shortage of players. It's basically incentive for you to grab the game and a showcase of the VC online ability.
A single game out of the literally thousands published NES and SNES titles. As part of your subscription. But just a month.

Yeah that's pretty garbage. Even if they include online play, a single NES/SNES game per month is just kinda atrocious. Especially when you consider the length of most of the games of the era.

Maybe if they launch with a wide array of ported NES/SNES titles available for purchase on the storefront for a buck or two it wouldn't be so bad. It still would be pretty garbage, just less so.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2017, 03:36:31 pm »

Well not to mention Nintendo controls it and we know how much Nintendo doesn't QUITE like to pony up some of their better titles.

Such as... I dunno.... Super Mario Allstars :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2017, 04:18:55 pm »

A single game out of the literally thousands published NES and SNES titles. As part of your subscription. But just a month.

Yeah that's pretty garbage. Even if they include online play, a single NES/SNES game per month is just kinda atrocious. Especially when you consider the length of most of the games of the era.

Maybe if they launch with a wide array of ported NES/SNES titles available for purchase on the storefront for a buck or two it wouldn't be so bad. It still would be pretty garbage, just less so.
We still know pretty much jack shit about what the online services actually are. Supposedly the subscription (as per the main site, I believe) offers you "exclusive deals", which I'm assuming mean things other than the NES/SNES game demos. Who knows, maybe it's actually a bit like Steam. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2017, 04:28:44 pm »

We still know pretty much jack shit about what the online services actually are. Supposedly the subscription (as per the main site, I believe) offers you "exclusive deals", which I'm assuming mean things other than the NES/SNES game demos. Who knows, maybe it's actually a bit like Steam. :P
It might also be a bit like the Wii U store.  :P

Honestly rewatching the presentation and going over the stuff we actually know about the Switch, I realized Nintendo somehow managed to keep a lot of stuff vague in spite of having a full blown presentation of a bonafide new console. Lots of stuff is still unknown, the details of the store among them.

Hope the Switch does well, I'd really hate if Nintendo ended up the way of SEGA. Too bad they seem intent on being mysterious and vague to their detriment.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2017, 05:11:08 pm »

It might also be a bit like the Wii U store.  :P

Honestly rewatching the presentation and going over the stuff we actually know about the Switch, I realized Nintendo somehow managed to keep a lot of stuff vague in spite of having a full blown presentation of a bonafide new console. Lots of stuff is still unknown, the details of the store among them.

Hope the Switch does well, I'd really hate if Nintendo ended up the way of SEGA. Too bad they seem intent on being mysterious and vague to their detriment.
Is it really to their detriment though? They are selling out what allotment of preorders they are managing to provide, it would honestly be worse if the console was coming in more hyped up, they'd just get accused of the NES Classic situation again. If their production rate is limited - which would make sense considering how short a timeline they've put themselves on - their approach makes all kinds of sense.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2017, 05:20:00 pm »

Apparently the 3DS is going to continue alongside the Switch. Again, Nintendo, what are you thinking?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2017, 05:24:27 pm »

Apparently the 3DS is going to continue alongside the Switch. Again, Nintendo, what are you thinking?
They're not going to close down a console that still sells and has a market, not to mention games already in development.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2017, 05:39:07 pm »

Is it really to their detriment though? They are selling out what allotment of preorders they are managing to provide, it would honestly be worse if the console was coming in more hyped up, they'd just get accused of the NES Classic situation again. If their production rate is limited - which would make sense considering how short a timeline they've put themselves on - their approach makes all kinds of sense.

It is. Uncertainty about the specifics of a console and its workings less than 2 months from release is the kind of thing that kills interest.

If their production rate is limited, instead of pushing for ASAP release, they should delay it until they have enough to at least offset the initial wave. Manufactured scarcity, be it for whatever reason is the kind of thing that kills customer interest. See also amiibos. There's only so long people are willing to tolerate "we are out of stock" as a valid excuse before jumping ship and moving on to pastures greener.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2017, 08:23:21 pm »

They're thinking that killing the console with a market while releasing a brand new one is a terrible idea. How would they benefit from putting all of their eggs in one basket, exactly?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2017, 10:52:53 pm »

The Switch is at least partially competing for the handheld market. Competing against yourself is a bold strategy, especially when the handheld side of things is what the Switch does best, from the looks of it. The fact that they're not even trying to steer new buyers towards the Switch means lower adoption, which means that there's lower priority for third party developers to make software, and the no launch lineup issue becomes no third party lineup ever.

Really, the Switch just seems ridiculously premature. Nintendo isn't quite ready to give up on their last generation, third party games are nowhere near ready, even the first party games aren't coming on release. What's with the timing?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37