Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1137 1138 [1139] 1140 1141 ... 3519

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3686198 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17070 on: February 11, 2018, 12:32:45 pm »

An abscess damn near the size of a golf ball was a good use, and once the fucker subsided I was done with them.
Having examined a skull from person who likely dies of such a thing that had to be god awful. You likely have severe bone degradation around the area. I do not envy you plight.

Also this general situation could be best described as a general insecurity looming over the head of most Americans. Perpetually a few steps from disaster.

Edit: also, Fuck neoliberalsim. It is a cancer that perpetuates this situation.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:45:38 pm by redwallzyl »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17071 on: February 11, 2018, 12:41:35 pm »

All sorts of mess like that, really. That was the point I chose because from what I've seen you can get by pretty comfortably on it, but much below that and it stops being comfortable, and you're still a serious necessary expenditure or two from starting to have to consider what you're going to lose in the process. Also you're probably skimping on health checkups and healthy eating, just sayin'.
I can personally guarantee that this is not universally true.

Also,
Bullshit. I make 50k and live in a fairly rural area with a tiny family, and I'm gonna have to raid my 401(k) soon just to get my debts into a manageable state.
I mean is your idea of a "fairly rural area" Guttenberg or what here
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:53:11 pm by Maximum Spin »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17072 on: February 11, 2018, 12:46:48 pm »

It has been my observation (and thus is subjective as all hell) that people seek to shut down undesirable conversation about the actual nitty gritty state of US quality of living, rather than confront it, because confronting those issues is absurdly difficult, and people prefer the illusion of living a happy life over throwing a fit over something the feel they are unable to get changed.

This is in response to the "If you want to talk about disenfranchisement, go spend a month in Somalia and get back to me." type shutdowns, when people rightly point out that there are hugely disenfranchised segments of the US population-- or mention actually factual things, like 1:6 people having food poverty.

No, it's all about how we are the biggest, bestest place to live (even though Europe has us beat hands down in many ways, quality of living wise), and if you dare detract from that-- well, unless you can point out "Somalia like" conditions, then STFU.

this is just the "me too" version of " 'Merica, Love it or leave it!", and it smacks of being willfully obtuse and jaundiced toward real social problems, just so the status quo can continue.
Another thing people miss about "go live in Somalia" is that yes you can go into Africa and pull out an example of exaggerated suffering.  But generally those people aren't suffering because they're poor starving African orphans, they're suffering because they're in one of the parts of Africa that's "off the grid" and hasn't adapted modern tech yet*.  Being on the edge of starvation, disease or homelessness is the standard for subsistence farming.  By that standard they're dong about as expected.  Likewise, going into say Egypt and pointing out that even in urban areas there's huge wealth inequality and poverty is also somewhat unfair; if we took a time machine to say Age of Sail London it would be about the same story.  Not identical but again, close enough.  Early industrial.

In the US, we're at the bleeding edge of industrial societies.  I couldn't tell you if we've reached the pinnacle of what the industrial era has to offer, but we're more advanced than anyone else.  Our economy has shifted almost entirely from goods based to service based, we do a ton of the world's research and most of what we do produce is things like new pharmacueticals, software and spaceship/airplane parts.  We also export things like Hollywood movies and videogames that don't require raw resources, and of course we're exporting tons and tons of food.  Our education is inefficient and places a huge economic burden on the young, but even in spite of that our population is incredibly educated.  By our standard, of a wealthy late industrial society that hasn't faced a war on our home soil in living memory, where the government has a monopoly on force, we are doing awful.  Yeah, if America was a warzone or a pre-industrial nation we would be doing worse.  But guess what?  If you took a hellhole like Syria and gave them what we have (peace, security, education, infastructure, technology, and money), they would be doing better than us.  Because everyone who has what we have is doing better than us.  Even authoritarian nations like China that make people vanish still manage a functioning healthcare and education system.

Part of the divide here is that some factions within American politics say things like "prosperity" and "freedom" and they mean "economic freedom."  But that's not a good metric for judging a country's success.  A lack of economic freedom cannot possibly be the problem in America.  Cause people in failed states have so much economic freedom.  They can bribe cops, they can buy shit off the black market, they can move wherever they want and buy whatever they want because the national level government isn't going to notice.  They can work for as low a wage as they want, they don't have unions, they don't pay import and export tariffs.  There's no OSHA.  Like if the minimum wage and capital gains tax are what's holding people back, shouldn't places like Somalia be prosperous AF?

*or a warzone.  But again, that sounds like exaggerated suffering to people in the US because that's unthinkable to us.  Being in an African or Middle Eastern warzone is shitty but only in the way that you would expect a warzone to be shitty.  Of course it sucks.  Holding a wartime civilian or refugee to our expected quality of living is unfair both to them and to us.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17073 on: February 11, 2018, 01:00:38 pm »

All sorts of mess like that, really. That was the point I chose because from what I've seen you can get by pretty comfortably on it, but much below that and it stops being comfortable, and you're still a serious necessary expenditure or two from starting to have to consider what you're going to lose in the process. Also you're probably skimping on health checkups and healthy eating, just sayin'.
I can personally guarantee that this is not universally true.
I can personally guarantee you I pointedly didn't say it was, at least if you're referring to the last bit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17074 on: February 11, 2018, 01:05:30 pm »

I can personally guarantee you I pointedly didn't say it was, at least if you're referring to the last bit.
I'm talking about everything from "much below that and it stops being comfortable" on. If you meant to say "much below that and you might stop being comfortable and be a serious necessary expenditure or two from blah blah whatever, depending on your locale and spending habits", you should have.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17075 on: February 11, 2018, 01:59:31 pm »

I'm talking about everything from "much below that and it stops being comfortable" on. If you meant to say "much below that and you might stop being comfortable and be a serious necessary expenditure or two from blah blah whatever, depending on your locale and spending habits", you should have.
Mate, if you're living somewhere in the US where a household, especially one with more than 3-4 people in it, can actually be comfortable with a sub 50k total annual budget, you need to tell me where this is so I can recommend people move there. You can live on it but comfortable it ain't unless you're dialing your standards down to "still pretty damn shitty". I'm living in one of the lower cost of living areas in the country (we're talking you can find places to rent in the sub 300/month range, and feed a person on less than a hundred a month without major health concern) and you're skimping on shit and one accident away from major financial problem if you're trying to support a family on something in the 40k range, never mind lower, regardless of your spending habits.

And I'm not shooting high here on comfortable. Living space without holes in it that shouldn't be there. Some sort of transportation, even if it's just bike or bus. Preferably no rampant thievery or gun fights going on in the neighborhood with anything even remotely resembling regularity. I'd say some sort of healthcare but this is low income america so let's not shoot too high, here, and at least just say there's kids and they aren't in danger of kneeling over dead (allowances made for more unusual/exotic maladies for their age range, sorry SG). Some degree of financial security so they can take at least a notable hit or two without losing the residence or car or going into lifelong debt or something. At least something they can spend on entertainment without having to balance it against missing meals, even if it's just time. Along those lines.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17076 on: February 11, 2018, 02:39:40 pm »

Mate, if you're living somewhere in the US where a household, especially one with more than 3-4 people in it, can actually be comfortable with a sub 50k total annual budget, you need to tell me where this is so I can recommend people move there. You can live on it but comfortable it ain't unless you're dialing your standards down to "still pretty damn shitty". I'm living in one of the lower cost of living areas in the country (we're talking you can find places to rent in the sub 300/month range, and feed a person on less than a hundred a month without major health concern) and you're skimping on shit and one accident away from major financial problem if you're trying to support a family on something in the 40k range, never mind lower, regardless of your spending habits.

And I'm not shooting high here on comfortable. Living space without holes in it that shouldn't be there. Some sort of transportation, even if it's just bike or bus. Preferably no rampant thievery or gun fights going on in the neighborhood with anything even remotely resembling regularity. I'd say some sort of healthcare but this is low income america so let's not shoot too high, here, and at least just say there's kids and they aren't in danger of kneeling over dead (allowances made for more unusual/exotic maladies for their age range, sorry SG). Some degree of financial security so they can take at least a notable hit or two without losing the residence or car or going into lifelong debt or something. At least something they can spend on entertainment without having to balance it against missing meals, even if it's just time. Along those lines.
Upstate New York. Have all of the things you mentioned in the last paragraph. I'm not supporting a family myself, of course, but I grew up (in the area) on <$30k/year, with my mom still able to save a significant portion which I have slowly been convincing her to move into investments that have recently pushed her up a tax bracket (which is incredibly annoying, btw). She'd tell you herself that she never had financial problems and never even carried a credit card balance. And I mean I'm only 25, so it's not like this has changed much (and since I still live in the area I can say that it hasn't). Anyway some of the neighbours have piles of kids and seem to be doing fine, although I don't pry into their incomes. Incidentally, our schools are decent, too, especially if your kids are athletic.

I think we might have a major disagreement on what constitutes "rural", though. In particular the idea of "rampant thievery or gun fights going on in the neighborhood" implies something more suburban at minimum to me. I don't even have a neighbourhood. This is territory where, if you want to talk to your neighbours, you have to drive there. The idea of gun fights happening is just... laughable. Mind you, you'll hear a lot of gunshots, but only because people up the road like to shoot targets.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17077 on: February 11, 2018, 02:52:38 pm »

Ever tried the Midwest? Because I've seen better than what you just described, better by far, and it was on 50-70k income. I don't know where you're pulling your numbers from, but I've seen plenty of people in that income range living in better conditions than you claim possible.

Everywhere I've lived and heard of in the Midwest, outside of cities there's not much in the way of troubles with crime, 50-70k is a middle-class income, not just-above-abject-poverty like you seem to think it always is, and you can live perfectly comfortably on said income with multiple cars, a good house, and some amount of safety cushion (Though the cushion can be thin if you didn't make great financial decisions earlier-on in life). Even going unemployed isn't a financial death sentence, I've seen people recover without losing everything, or almost everything, as you seem to think must happen.

So seriously, where are you getting your information from? What places are actually that horrible? You've successfully gotten me interested, albeit in a minorly horrified way.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17078 on: February 11, 2018, 02:55:10 pm »

To be clear, in my previous posts I was NOT saying that you should just "shut up and eat your gruel." I even explicitly said that I was not arguing against change a couple times. I am not saying that the US is some kind of ultimate gold standard, that "you're not working hard enough!" or that you're a traitor for pointing out problems with America, either. Most of what you assumed about me was quite the opposite of my actual opinion. My argument was with SalmonGod's specific wording that suggested that anything and everything is completely fucked here in the states, which it most definitely isn't, not by global standards.

If your car's air conditioning breaks down, then of course you go and fix it. You don't throw away the car saying that it's completely fucked up and there's no way to unfuck it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17079 on: February 11, 2018, 03:45:02 pm »

Bullshit. I make 50k and live in a fairly rural area with a tiny family, and I'm gonna have to raid my 401(k) soon just to get my debts into a manageable state.
I mean is your idea of a "fairly rural area" Guttenberg or what here
I have no idea where that is. Town population is 6,000 (and I'm technically outside town limits), county population is 141,000. Neighbors have roosters. I have a river in the back of the yard, with a state park on the other side. It's quiet and sparsely populated. Albeit, it's a very liberal county with good public services (i.e. your personal hell).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17080 on: February 11, 2018, 03:49:33 pm »

Albeit, it's a very liberal county with good public services (i.e. your personal hell).
uh

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17081 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:04 pm »

Public services reduce the cost of living, they just don't reduce it more than a bunch of rich fucks living like a gravity well and jacking the price of everything up for real people raises it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17082 on: February 11, 2018, 04:01:52 pm »

Public services reduce the cost of living, they just don't reduce it more than a bunch of rich fucks living like a gravity well and jacking the price of everything up for real people raises it.
Yes, but that doesn't make the "personal hell" jab any less of a critical sass failure.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17083 on: February 11, 2018, 04:26:24 pm »

Weren't you the uberlibertarian who bragged about living a mile or more from anybody?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17084 on: February 11, 2018, 04:30:36 pm »

Weren't you the uberlibertarian who bragged about living a mile or more from anybody?
not exactly
Pages: 1 ... 1137 1138 [1139] 1140 1141 ... 3519