Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 3516

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3662734 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"A bad spell"?  Really?  I have 2 trans friends who are in their 30s and only decided they felt safe coming out about it a couple years ago.  You're calling the entire history of the country "a bad spell".  And radical conservatives are still the #1 source of violent domestic terrorism, iirc.  If you're seriously telling me that radical left college kids engaging in a couple street brawls are the primary aggressors in culture war, you've got some major confirmation bias going on.

Hell, police can still openly murder black people in the streets, and get rich off donations for what they did while the justice system bends over backwards to avoid punishing them.

You've got just as big of a confirmation bias going on, unfortunately, thinking about those bastard radical conservatives and not noticing that the eyeballs of the left are about 75% log these days.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

Tbh I suppose it is nice to appreciate linesmen and all they do to ensure our world's communication lines are functioning

I know I'm late but also they help provide that power to use said communication...
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

If you're seriously telling me that radical left college kids engaging in a couple street brawls are the primary aggressors in culture war, you've got some major confirmation bias going on.

I think this is true, but still doesn't make them anything but wrong.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

"A bad spell"?  Really?  I have 2 trans friends who are in their 30s and only decided they felt safe coming out about it a couple years ago.  You're calling the entire history of the country "a bad spell".  And radical conservatives are still the #1 source of violent domestic terrorism, iirc.  If you're seriously telling me that radical left college kids engaging in a couple street brawls are the primary aggressors in culture war, you've got some major confirmation bias going on.

The biggest problem with those college kids (and its not just the kids), they silence any and all criticism along with any news of them (grabbing and destroying recording equipment). This makes it seem like they were not oppressed but only imagined it. Yes there were people that felt threatened to be themselves but don't go around attacking other people. It will make it only worse, not better.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

This conversation is pointless as long as notable examples are being used as proof of the greater trends of politics. Antifa and college protestors represent the desires of the left as a whole about as much as the skinheads who were pairing MAGA hats with Celtic crosses and /pol/ trolls represent the right as a whole. Most people are thankfully moderate (not the same thing as centrist), which is what holds American civil society together.

LWs original analysis just isn't accurate, we've had far worse extremism in America along similar trends before, such as SDS, the Weatherman Underground, the more mainstream incarnations of the KKK, and the White Citizen Councils. Ultimately, all of these groups failed in their goals regardless of the trends the politically moderate took, right or left.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:25:36 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

What is specially jarring is just how immensely ironic the whole shit is, and how utterly blind people seem to be about it. We got people going on social media and declaring "I'm gonna go and bring 100 fash scalps home today guys". Literally declaring their designs for violence on other people, and this is somehow ok, but those people are ~fash~, literally the most ambigous and open term that got raped over and over by both sides of the political spectrum nowadays. It was meme'd so hard that the alienated dweebs that litter universities nowadays took it at face value, like they kinda always do.

Regardless of definition, people are calling violence upon people they don't agree with, and this is somehow ok? What goes on in the mind of someone that accept the dreadlocked antifa mongrel calling for calling for open violence against people as something cool and worthy?
If it was a dude with a shaved head calling for violence against college kids, it would be all fucking over, there would be imgur hatevote dumps against the guy and all hell would break loose, with reason, as such calls for violence are completely unacceptable. But then its a dreadlocked antifa girl, and its somehow ok then?

As much as I find these cringeworthy, one cannot deny just how actualy worrying close to reality this is.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:27:31 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

As much as I find these cringeworthy, one cannot deny just how actually worrying close to reality this is.

NO that is reality. If you disagree with them THEY WILL TRY TO SILENCE YOU. Does not matter if you even agree with them on certain points.

Edit:

The biggest problem with the left is the amount of whining since Trump won.

Edit 2: Hell its bad enough with the Left/ANTIFA being against people that have polar view points but they will go after even moderates.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:29:08 pm by SquatchHammer »

King of Candy Island.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We've abandoned the American ideal of the marketplace of ideals, a damn principle that dates back to the Federalist papers and further. Unpopular ideas get ignored and shouted down instead of being honestly engaged.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Sounds a bit rose-tinted to me. There have always been ideals which faced popular suppression in America, in spite of free speech. COUNTELPRO, both of the Red Scares, pretty much every movement for racial equality, the list can go on forever the more detailed you get. All the way back to both the Loyalists and the Patriots, funnily enough.

Even in a relatively friendly environment, it's a certainty that advancing a new ideology gets the existing powers called down on you. The only question is of what functional limits bind those powers and are universally agreed upon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty much agree with MetalSlimeHunt on this. Considering the size of America & the left-right polarization, I mean I know a fair few people just as nutbag extreme in a country a fraction of the size. Multiply that how many times. & I'm not convinced this is even close to as big a culture clash as you guys had in the 60s, people are just more bored, internet is faster, skin-heads & the dumber end of the left wing brawl in many places. Not good, but not exactly something new.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

What is specially jarring is just how immensely ironic the whole shit is, and how utterly blind people seem to be about it. We got people going on social media and declaring "I'm gonna go and bring 100 fash scalps home today guys". Literally declaring their designs for violence on other people, and this is somehow ok, but those people are ~fash~, literally the most ambigous and open term that got raped over and over by both sides of the political spectrum nowadays. It was meme'd so hard that the alienated dweebs that litter universities nowadays took it at face value, like they kinda always do.

Regardless of definition, people are calling violence upon people they don't agree with, and this is somehow ok? What goes on in the mind of someone that accept the dreadlocked antifa mongrel calling for calling for open violence against people as something cool and worthy?
If it was a dude with a shaved head calling for violence against college kids, it would be all fucking over, there would be imgur hatevote dumps against the guy and all hell would break loose, with reason, as such calls for violence are completely unacceptable. But then its a dreadlocked antifa girl, and its somehow ok then?

It's not as black and white as you're making it, though.  Bigotry has made a huge power grab, followed by white supremacists openly declaring themselves with public speeches and gatherings.  I admit to being politically out of touch over the last couple years, as compared to how I used to be.  I don't often have the time to dig into the details of events.  But from what I've heard these things aren't breaking out over your typical sleezebag conservatives who merely dog whistle intolerance and promote policies that disadvantage minorities with plausible deniability to their intentions.  It's about genuine article white nationalists stepping into the light, expecting to engage in political discourse and consolidate support.

I don't know if the antifa approach is the right answer to this situation, and please don't respond to me as if I'm saying as much.

But... I'm sympathetic to the idea that granting ideologies that have the ultimate unhidden agenda of violence against people is extremely dangerous.  That it needs to be shut down at all costs.  Ideally, this would be done by a united front of shame, and refusing public space to such ideas.  But that ideal isn't happening, so there are people, for better or worse, who are taking extra steps to make it known that their ideas are not going to be granted public legitimacy of the same sort as anyone else.  That they have not reclaimed an era where it was safe for them to openly declare their desire to harm or subjugate others who do not share their accidents of birth.

Doing a little reading, yes, I can see that the result has been a shit show.  But is that because of the idea, or because of poor execution?  Do you disagree with the punching of Richard Spencer?

As much as I find these cringeworthy, one cannot deny just how actualy worrying close to reality this is.

This illustrates perfectly where I think perspective on this situation is horribly, dangerously misled.  This music video is all about radical leftists attacking people for "having different opinions".  But I vehemently disagree that this is the case.  I believe in free speech.  But if I'm going to believe that a white nationalist sincerely means what they say, then they are an Enemy.  Capital E - Enemy.  Someone who is actively working towards inflicting harm on people I care about, and I am not a good friend/brother/father if I don't do everything in my power to stop them.  What economic or political system will lead to the greatest prosperity for all is a matter of differing opinions.  The balance of meritocracy vs a secure social safety net is a matter of differing opinions.  Security vs privacy is a matter of differing opinions.  "I think being gay should be treated as a crime" is NOT on the same level as those things - it's a declaring of open conflict, and you're telling people to treat this the same as any other political debate.  I cannot overstate my disagreement.

It's easy to feel unsafe when you genuinely believe that words are a form of violence, I suppose.

I'm only 33, and my own parents can remember a time when being gay in the United States might be treated with lobotomy.  Today, our government has been reclaimed by people who still want to treat homosexuality as, at best, a disorder to be treated, and people with far worse ideas are finding a new foothold in public space.  We are not very far removed at all from my having to worry about the physical safety of loved ones for being who they are.   I'm going to grant you the benefit of the doubt that you genuinely believe your statement was reasonable, and you're just incredibly unaware of how wrong you are for implying that words are all that's at stake.

This conversation is pointless as long as notable examples are being used as proof of the greater trends of politics. Antifa and college protestors represent the desires of the left as a whole about as much as the skinheads who were pairing MAGA hats with Celtic crosses and /pol/ trolls represent the right as a whole.

I don't know about this.  Maybe I only see it this way, because I've lived most of my life in Indiana.  But I think they do represent the desires of the right in a sense.  For example, most moderate conservatives today would never be caught in mixed company openly advocating violence against minorities.  And that's progress.  But at the same time, those same people do a fuckton of things that directly support harm against minorities, so long as it's in a way that doesn't associate them with advocacy of direct violence or otherwise get their own hands dirty.  Basically, they know that cultural progress has taken a firm hold of the overton window in recent years, and that window is looking right at them.  But if that grip is lost.  If support for public figures who do openly advocate violence against minorities becomes just another "opinion" that it's ok to have, even if only because there is plausible deniability as to whether that support is because of open opposition to minorities, then I think we'll see more widespread revealing of heinous desires than current outward appearance of political trends lets on.  I don't mean we'll see a return of public lynchings and the like anytime soon, because we're not at a point where a moderate of the day can literally have blood on their hands and not think they're doing anything wrong.  But cast their support for institutions with the trappings of authority and legitimacy to get bloody for them, so long as they don't have to think too much about the unpleasant details?  Absolutely.  I don't think many people would personally commit a violent hate crime against a black person or muslim... but when one of that small minority who would does, the moderates who never would sure put a fuckton of effort into creating any element of legitimacy for that action in the public discourse they can.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:37:18 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

It's easy to feel unsafe when you genuinely believe that words are a form of violence, I suppose.

I know a guy who was beat up and hospitalized for holding hands with another guy in public three months ago, in probably the most gay-friendly neighborhood in the state. In the rural parts, I know a guy who came out to his parents last summer, and they grabbed him, pinned him to the ground, and screamed Bible verses at him until he told them he had been lying.

Like... I hope you guys are at the point in Britain where LGBT people only have to fear other people's words, but we are definitely not there yet in the US.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Parents still kill their kids with attempted exorcisms if they behave un-Christian-like in Indiana  :-[
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

A man shot three people in Fresno the other day because he hated white people, right? Are white people in America are living in fear for their lives from racist attacks?

You know America better than I do, surely, but I can't help but feel that talk of, say, Mike 'Deus Volt' Pence is going to start rounding up gay people and sticking them in camps, is rather hysterical. And portraying singular, tragic incidents as if they're the norm seems a poor way to garner any kind of support for a cause.

White people being killed because of their race is a singular, tragic incident.  Because it is genuinely rare.  Because white people, in most places, don't experience being regularly threatened for who they are, and there is no history of this being common or institutional.

In contrast, gay people face regular threats, even today.  Violence against them is not rare.  Institutional discrimination against them still exists.  Institutional violence against them is in living memory.  And if someone underage comes out to especially bad parents in many places, they may be subject to domestic violence without any access to recourse.  And the situation is still worse than this for trans people.

These things are not comparable.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

You know America better than I do, surely, but I can't help but feel that talk of, say, Mike 'Deus Volt' Pence is going to start rounding up gay people and sticking them in camps, is rather hysterical. And portraying singular, tragic incidents as if they're the norm seems a poor way to garner any kind of support for a cause.
You mean these camps? http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/abc_news_hundreds_of_religious_anti_gay_conversion_camps_operating_across_the_country
http://abcnews.go.com/US/gay-conversion-therapy-advocates-heartened-pence-republican-electoral/story?id=45940488
Are you seriously denying the existence of these? These were even advertised as effective measures to youth and parents in the church I grew up in within the past decade. It absolutely is the norm.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 3516