Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 3519

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3686445 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress attempts to cross streams while working on tax 'reform'
« Reply #14895 on: November 20, 2017, 03:26:51 pm »

Many doesn't mean "everyone" but it certainly suggests a sizeable portion of the whole. It's a classic weasel word, precisely because if challenged, you can respond with "that's not what I meant by 'many'". It's not that different from Trump's common usage of "People are saying X".

My counterargument is that the situation you describe -- of having no other inhabitants nearby, with miles of fire-resistant terrain in between -- is the rare exception rather than the norm.

Maybe I should have just responded with [citation needed].

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14896 on: November 20, 2017, 03:58:40 pm »

Do you understand how discourse works are you serious. Are we at the point here where we are feigning ignorance for kicks? Can we please keep this thread from turning into a passive aggressive sideshow?

Many suggests a sizable portion of the whole in the area he specifically referenced as his immediate community. He's not talking about the entire nation, or your area, or the moon, or Narnia, he's talking about the area he lives in, as an aside.

Just because it works in the area he's in doesn't mean it works everywhere, or that he's excusing these "firefighter's" actions. Noone is suggesting that, and you know it. You all drew conveniently negative conclusions that did not exist in what he said, and then mocked him for calling you out.

I got upset when you had the pomp to drop "classic weaseling" after that display. Next you'll be talking about how no one understands your posts and how they really aren't mean. We get enough of this blatant rewriting and backpedaling BS from our president.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14897 on: November 20, 2017, 04:26:08 pm »

No, I don't know that he's not suggesting that it works everywhere, or should work that way everywhere. Maybe I missed a post several pages back, but I haven't seen it.

It's not an uncommon thing for people (including myself) to make a reflex assumption that their particular anecdote, scenario, etc. can be extrapolated out to the larger world. That sort of thinking has to be challenged in order to correct it.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14898 on: November 20, 2017, 04:28:17 pm »

Ah. I think I get the idea you are touching on.

There can be no progress without vision; that idea that you have a goal or objective, and you are going to take every step possible to move towards that goal, and then also making a goal of letting no one dilute that goal. It's having a core idea, holding onto it, and letting it be unshakeable, and then convincing others to follow you; not just bending to cover all your bases and check as many ideological boxes as you can.

There can be no direction without vision and no movement without flexibility. Progress is directed motion, and it requires both.

weird has articulated a position at one end of a spectrum; Mitch McConnell sits on the other. If you spend all your time standing firm against ideological variance, you never get anywhere; if you rush to accommodate everyone who can possibly help you, you end up pushed in all directions. It matters what you're willing to compromise on and how far, because ideas can move in unexpected ways -- and right now both parties are rushing to accommodate people so hard that they've lost any real ideological core other than animosity. All they can agree on is that everything sucks because of those people, the ones we've decided we have more to gain by ostracizing then including. Thus we get fundamentalist pastors claiming that extreme weather is God's punishment for sodomy and radical feminists claiming the Principia Optica is a rape manual and everything in between: they've compromised and compromised until there's nowhere left to go but against Them. But, if you never compromise, you're a party of one, and people who are amenable to 99% of your agenda just start arguing that you're the sum of all evil to draw people away from you and to them. This is related to the No True Scotsman fallacy, by the way.

But these are strategic questions, and strategy grows from tactics and logistics. As I said, before you decide what you want you have to decide what you can have, and that means two things: identifying who you need and identifying what they want, every step of the way. Link those possible paths together and you have your available destination set, reachable one step at a time. People act on local, tactical scales; they can't make promises beyond the next time their schedule changes or donate money they don't know if they'll need for something more urgent, and likewise they need a goal that they can see and a perceptibly effective way to work toward it. This is one of the big problems with the more radical egalitarian subset movements: they're so concerned with the opposition that when the hated servants of the kyriarchy turn up and earnestly ask how they can help, they don't have an answer that gets them useful allies. "Give me everything you own to even out the wage gap" isn't practicable, nor is "quit your job so I can have it." And so people just don't want to do anything. "All our elected officials are psychotic tyrants" isn't actionable either. If you want to actually make progress toward your goals, "how can I help?" can either make you or break you; your immediately available answer needs to scale to all levels of commitment and resources and still feel good and do something actually useful. "Give us money or recommend us to someone who can" is worse than useless.

So, "this thing I mention" is actually a prerequisite for dealing with ideological differences -- long before you get to debate where your movement should go, you need a plan to get a movement capable of going anywhere, and that means getting ideology and pragmatism and sociology all to mesh together into something that can turn disinterested bystanders into associates with an interest in seeing your plan come to fruition. A huge part of the reason both parties are failing right now is their lack of that; each just says "get the other guys out and we'll ????? and then profit" and that's inherently unstable, because once you have the majority everyone's expecting a different good thing. A properly constructed movement founded on concrete, positive policy ideas can actually roll with people showing up with a different vision, because then you can get creative and invoke the sunk cost fallacy to minimize your losses while you put together a maximally satisfactory plan (which can just be "we make your thing an alternative to ours accessible in this way").

And really, there's a lot of good to be done that almost everyone agrees should happen because it's procedural rather than ideological, and that's a good place to start. Put together a party whose platform starts with something like smoothing the step functions in welfare brackets so nobody takes home less money by earning more, making the IRS do your taxes for you with the info they already have so 99% of people don't need TurboTax, and maybe something slightly more controversial like establishing a universal minimum wage without an exception for tips (exact amount to be determined later) and you could at least get people thinking in terms of the effects those policies will have on them rather than who you're demonizing. That gives you an opening, and you can trial more things as time goes on and you get a better sense of who's marching with you. Starting and ending with the negative just makes people contentious.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14899 on: November 20, 2017, 05:11:10 pm »

[saying 50% gender ratio deaths is a good thing in all cases and they're silly for caring about it, ignores the disparity both in the gender of offenders (upwards of 80% men) and in the causes of death, with women deaths skewed towards explicitly anti-women violence and domestic partners abusing and killing their wives, which affects women more than it affects men, by the numbers. (as opposed to violence that doesn't particularly care about victim gender, like robbery or gang violence, which yes, does tends towards men but is not because they ARE men, only that most gang members happen to BE men; a female gang member and a male gang member getting killed are interchangable in ways that beating your wife, or the stoning of witches/adulterers (only some examples) is not)]

[50% would be fine if that 50% was because of equal numbers of offenders and victims of all types of homocide, and/or if men had equal numbers of "because they're a man" directly or indirectly motivated killings. but the causes and offenders are widely skewed, and the fact that it comes out to 50% is more attributable to a quirk of the numbers and a fluke than to actual gender equality]

[it's a failure of that article writer that they went "Oh no 50%!" instead of actually addressing any of the above, such as prevalence of female vs male domestic killings; the actual handbook they sourced from goes more into what I wrote than about wailing about the gross numbers of victims]
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14900 on: November 20, 2017, 07:41:38 pm »

No, I don't know that he's not suggesting that it works everywhere, or should work that way everywhere. Maybe I missed a post several pages back, but I haven't seen it.
Have you considered the possibility that, if I was suggesting that, I probably would have actually suggested that? I was specifically responding to a post claiming that the poster's experience and solution were universal. It's probably a safe bet that my "actually, here's an exception" response was not itself suggesting that my experience is universal.

It's not an uncommon thing for people (including myself) to make a reflex assumption that their particular anecdote, scenario, etc. can be extrapolated out to the larger world. That sort of thinking has to be challenged in order to correct it.
Thank you so much for presuming to challenge and correct me. Of course you know what I'm talking about so much better than I do, because you are the best human.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14901 on: November 20, 2017, 08:00:50 pm »

Have you considered the possibility that, if I was suggesting that, I probably would have actually suggested that? I was specifically responding to a post claiming that the poster's experience and solution were universal. It's probably a safe bet that my "actually, here's an exception" response was not itself suggesting that my experience is universal.
My apologies, then. I came in on the tail-end of that conversation and didn't see the original post that triggered it.

Thank you so much for presuming to challenge and correct me. Of course you know what I'm talking about so much better than I do, because you are the best human.
You're welcome. And I'm not even remotely close to best human.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14902 on: November 20, 2017, 09:36:04 pm »

Yeah, from my perspective that's still "way too close together"; out here you do not have other farms as neighbours, you have miles of soggy forest dotted with bog. There isn't much in the way of tightly-knit social support because there aren't enough actual people. (It's heaven.)

If living in a swamp by yourself is heaven because there's no one around, why do you deliberately come on here to talk at people?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14903 on: November 20, 2017, 09:42:09 pm »

If living in a swamp by yourself is heaven because there's no one around, why do you deliberately come on here to talk at people?
Why shouldn't I? I'm actually quite outgoing as long as I'm not obligated to be.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14904 on: November 20, 2017, 09:42:40 pm »

That seems like a weird question. Even introverts or people that like a lot of personal space or have issues with dealing with people in real life can still plenty well like to have the occasional conversation on the internet. The assumption there that seems to imply that if you don't want to live near people you must never enjoy talking to them under any circumstances is simply untrue.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14905 on: November 20, 2017, 09:45:49 pm »

I should add that I don't live in a swamp, though, I'd have to walk down into one of the low spots for that. I live on a hill like all sensible people who don't like being flooded.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14906 on: November 20, 2017, 09:51:06 pm »

That seems like a weird question. Even introverts or people that like a lot of personal space or have issues with dealing with people in real life can still plenty well like to have the occasional conversation on the internet. The assumption there that seems to imply that if you don't want to live near people you must never enjoy talking to them under any circumstances is simply untrue.

No such assumption was made. I was literally asking for his reasons, which he then gave; there were several possible explanations, of which "I'm outgoing when I choose to be but not when I have to be" was one of the more plausible.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14907 on: November 20, 2017, 10:11:46 pm »

If you weren't implying anything, just curious, you didn't have to ask the personal question in the politics thread where it read a bit personal.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14908 on: November 21, 2017, 03:04:30 am »

Yay, PM woud likely have been better.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14909 on: November 21, 2017, 10:10:11 am »

Yeah, from my perspective that's still "way too close together"; out here you do not have other farms as neighbours, you have miles of soggy forest dotted with bog. There isn't much in the way of tightly-knit social support because there aren't enough actual people. (It's heaven.)

Obviously even introverted/loner sims have a social stat that eventually needs fulfilling.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 3519