Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 74213 times)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #510 on: March 14, 2017, 12:36:54 pm »

Can we not make this the "act snide about liberals" thread? I know a couple people have been using it for that occasionally, but it's going to ignite an argument. You can phrase these criticisms without sounding like you just got out of a fight on another site and are trying to bring it here.
I'm not acting snide about liberals. I lean left myself, in many respects. But it's undeniable that some on the far-left defend deplorable practices, as long as it is a practice from a group they identify with (communists, anarchists) or are deemed "oppressed" (Islam).
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #511 on: March 14, 2017, 12:37:22 pm »

Unpopular idea: the world we live in isn't as simple as some people would like to think it is ergo most of the time blanket generalization is pulled over a certain human society phenomena it basically turns no better then the worst fringe case of said phenomena, just backwards.

WHOOOOSHHHHHHH.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 14, 2017, 12:59:45 pm »

I sort of liked ME 3's ending.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 14, 2017, 01:18:55 pm »

Conversely, I think Mass Effect's plot was doomed somewhere between halfway through ME1 to the start of ME2, and only got further off the rails as that went to avoid dealing with a problem that is actually directly brought up by Ashley at one point: What good is a solider with a rifle in this kind of war?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 14, 2017, 01:30:06 pm »

Good, lets have a beer together sometime.

But only if its west german.
Sounds good.

There's a couple more folks here from the Netherlands and Belgium - maybe we should organize a regional meetup sometime. Whaddya think?

I can't be present because THE OCEAN IS IN THE WAY, but as long as there's a bottle of Guinness on the table, I'll be present in spirit, touching people's hair without permission.

Also, the whole "fascism was racist and killed a bajillion people" doesnt exactly stick since communism murdered even more people and pushed several views your average social media progressive should find disgusting (IE homosexuals are mentally ill capitalist dogs, jews are fascist bastards because they don't conform to our ideas, ukranians are disposable, black people are inferior and immoral, etc).

So ye, sorry cringy soviet shirt guy, but I can't really treat you any better than a guy wearing a swastika.
I disagree, but only because Fascism clearly led to the Second World War (you might argue that hitler himself didn't cause all these deaths, but fascism is  indisputably the case and reason for the war), and by that token Fascism has a death toll of around eighty-four million people; whereas by contrast capitalism and communism have both, thus far, resisted the urge to plunge the world into everlasting night, which is a point in their favor.

Now lets play with that idea for a second. You're factoring in the entire death toll of ww2, including those caused by communist regimes, and blaming it entirely on fascism, out of the fact that fascism was the trigger that started the war.

Thats kinda like a guy who murdered 10 people in cold blood (members of his own family included) going to court and blaming this other guy who murdered 2 on the same ocasion and saying " hey he started it so its all his fault, not mine, lol".
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 14, 2017, 01:38:35 pm »

It's a remarkably shaky argument to make. Even counting Imperial Japan as fascist is a stretch, and the deaths just as a result of communist actions like the Holodomor and Great Leap Forward approach those casualty numbers, even without counting any communist responsibility for burning and raping there way (not hyperbole) through Eastern Europe during World War 2.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 14, 2017, 01:45:07 pm »

Yeah, I think really the distinction between the fascists and the communists was that the fascists were better organized in their mass murder.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 14, 2017, 01:47:23 pm »

That's not true either. Maybe better organized in their specifically targeted mass murder, but that's just because communists were always happy to just drive unwanteds away and let them starve.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 14, 2017, 01:54:42 pm »

... that is literally what the Hungerplan was all about.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 14, 2017, 02:55:18 pm »

Also, the whole "fascism was racist and killed a bajillion people" doesnt exactly stick since communism murdered even more people and pushed several views your average social media progressive should find disgusting (IE homosexuals are mentally ill capitalist dogs, jews are fascist bastards because they don't conform to our ideas, ukranians are disposable, black people are inferior and immoral, etc).

So ye, sorry cringy soviet shirt guy, but I can't really treat you any better than a guy wearing a swastika.
I disagree, but only because Fascism clearly led to the Second World War (you might argue that hitler himself didn't cause all these deaths, but fascism is  indisputably the case and reason for the war), and by that token Fascism has a death toll of around eighty-four million people; whereas by contrast capitalism and communism have both, thus far, resisted the urge to plunge the world into everlasting night, which is a point in their favor.

On fascism starting ww2: Don't forget that Poland was invaded by BOTH Germany and the Soviet Union and that the Soviet Union Annexed the baltic states and started a war to annex Finland.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 14, 2017, 03:03:38 pm »

Disclaimer: i do not endorse fascism in any way.

Ok so, Fascism != Nazism. Fascism is a militaristic ideology that exalts the state and national pride, and is fairly pro-war. While somewhat xenophobic, fascists are not inherently racists. It boils down to "<Nation> is the best there is, and all others are inferior. What is good for the State is good for its citizens." Mussolini only made a token effort at persecuting minorities in Italy because he saw them as italians first, and jews/romani/blacks/etc second. Nazism, conversely, is about the concept that a "race" is inherently superior to others. It uses fascism as a base, but its core is absolutely racism.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 14, 2017, 03:21:55 pm »

Hex>Philips Head
Now now, we agree to hate the real enemy: split slotted or H-type heretics!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 14, 2017, 03:53:33 pm »

There were attempts at communism that didn't go genocidal. Levellers f'r'instance. Though language screws one over here as the majority population wise of countries that have claimed to be communist have been pretty horrific.

Communism could mean anything from marxist awareness of capitalism's problems to Stalin (practically Hitler).
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 14, 2017, 03:58:39 pm »

Generally unless someone specifies that they long for the days of Stalin, I default to thinking they mean something like a Marxist post-capitalist form of communism.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 14, 2017, 05:08:20 pm »

Am I a Marxist if I hope for a totally automated, post-scarcity society?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57