Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I'm going to start working on a New race for fortress mode in MDF, which is wanted more?

Elves... we need tree hugging hippy forts!!!!!
- 16 (29.1%)
Goblin... Let the demons rule the land!!!!
- 4 (7.3%)
Necromancers... Build your own tower and fill it with your undead servants!!!
- 24 (43.6%)
Repair the Werebeasts... More savage beastie goodness!!!!  maybe even a fort mode!?!?
- 1 (1.8%)
Repair the Titans... so they will come and destroy your fortresses again!
- 6 (10.9%)
Repair the Night Creatures... we need more kidnapped children!
- 0 (0%)
Vampires... flesh out their game play so they drink more blood and even may have a fort mode!?!?
- 4 (7.3%)
Something different to replace one of these?  Let me know what you think would be cool?!?!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 09:37:53 am

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29

Author Topic: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)  (Read 85693 times)

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.27 (43.05 x64)
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2017, 04:20:16 pm »

If you want an example of just how dropped those features are: The altar and temple to armok are no longer even in the building raws.
Oh.. thats poopy. That was kinda the reason I downloaded Masterwork, for Im in the mood for playing as a religious cult. Perhaps, you know a good mod to suggest?
This day going to be perfect!

Khaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2017, 04:48:02 pm »

You might be better off building a giant temple or two and performing your sacrifices manually if you feel like making blood sacrifices to Armok.
Or maybe enabling Meph's little deep ones cult mod on the third MW tab. And then for a cultleader to bring absolute hell upon your fortress for your foolish worship of the carp gods.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2017, 07:51:24 pm »

Did anyone have trouble with quickfort? i keep getting the error of unable to move files to macro folder, and whenever i make changes to the blueprint, or choose another blueprint, i get the correct text style preview popup, but the actual result in the ingame designations is the original first blueprint i had used the first time i managed to make it work.

Quickfort issues would be involving quickfort...I'm pretty sure its either not updated yet, or the dfhack scripts have errors and no one noticed yet.  I'll go over to those forums and check out if there is any updates that fix them.  I admit I haven't played with quickfort since 1.20.

Hi! Masterwork noob question here:
I cant seem to find how to build Temple of Armok. Any suggestions?

It appears to be deprecated in DF 42.06  there was several changes to how the game functioned in 42.06 and sacrificing sentient creatures and using there body parts was broken then... god functions and force invasions pretty much died at the same time... so there's the answer it was a dead end and removed.

I still have the same problem - dwarfs getting permanently idle after first few days - and I have no idea what to do. Miners, farmers, haulers, all of them are just slacking around.

I could state 300 reasons this would happen, all of them vanilla DF gameplay issues.  without additional information about what you have been doing or a game save there is no way to reduce the amount of reasons this may be happening.  You could of locked the only door out of where they are.  They may all be sick/injured and wont get up until you heal them.  They may be bored.  they may be hungry, thirsty, and unable to find either.  You may have turned their labors off. They could be set to a warren and have nothing to do inside of it.  and thats just a few...

The wiki is even more outdated than the current manual included with the MW download (which I'm hard at work updating), and that's saying something. It should not be used for any purpose and should be considered as teaching you negative amounts about most of the current mechanics due to introducing concepts that are either simply outright false (like the existence of rusty iron and its use in the orcish economy; the material was changed years ago to bonemold, and the methods of acquiring bonemold are very different) or referring to features have been dropped completely (like the aforementioned religion things).

If you want an example of just how dropped those features are: The altar and temple to armok are no longer even in the building raws. They weren't just removed from the entity raws, they didn't just have their reactions removed from the permitted ones in the entities, they were not simply disabled. No, someone went and actually deleted the lines that defined these structures and their reactions from the raws.
The shrine survived only because it was deemed useful for getting resources in case of strange moods, but had the references to Armok removed. Likely because of the addition of the vanilla religion systems, because looking at the wiki those are entirely things that could be done with DFhack and raws.

agreed the wiki was really best kept up back under pre 42.06 after that a couple of years back it fell into disrepair and should be ignored.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
u
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2017, 07:52:08 pm »

Alright so here is the pile of things done so far in 1.28:

1. minor bug in Orc releases caused humans to not spawn correctly - fixed
2. a few text descriptions, typos.
3. Quickfort updated and a base maintained macro folder added to keep it from self deleting.
4. internal DFHack script digfort corrected to allow for Z level change, not their is a blueprint script also for writing the csv files used by both quickfort and digfort, blueprint currently only records from the lowest z and up.
5. tested large bone pots and bone barrels... bone barrels hold liquid and food, no problem, bone pots need to be and can be glazed to hold liquids or food.  so they are working as properly.

I am still in need of a liquid fire clothing save, a werewolf save, and any other info on any other issues people have. 

I am going to start considering how I'm going to work on the launcher.  I have the files... I'm not seeing a lot of additional stuff I need to add in for the range from when it was used and now... I'm going to verify it some more than probably correct all the tags in it and rebuild.  that's all I plan to do with it this "update".
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Popokolara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 04, 2017, 09:04:50 am »

Edit: Nevermind silly question,tnx for your efforts :-*.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 04, 2017, 10:53:14 am »

Edit: Nevermind silly question,tnx for your efforts :-*.

There is no silly questions... just silly answers!  anyways I hope you are enjoying the game!  let me know if you need any assistance.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Popokolara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 04, 2017, 02:25:13 pm »

I am absolutely obsessed with it, i just get triggered easily and end up restarting, never have i actually run a fort for more than barely 2 years!

i compulsively need to have all my dwarves working on something, to the point where i calculated the amount of jobs i want to be carried out and set the pop cap there and i alt+f4 if a simple one dies. I just feel the game becomes soiled or something.  :'(

Popokolara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 04, 2017, 04:12:49 pm »

Ok here goes:

1. World Generation.
Been using Dfhack to prospect all and check the ores in possible embark locations. Most of the time there is no iron ore (Hematitte, Limonite or Magnetite) to be found, with tetrahedrite being super common. I always look to embark in low and flat elevation areas though. Is that the reason? Furthermore i always examine regions which have shallow + deep metals, river and flux + at least deep soil (super comfy easy start, shame me). Is the iron less common than copper, or its more common in mountainous areas?

2. Why  do dwarves sometimes decide to go exploring around the map? Is the only solution walling them in?

3. Before embaring i check my neighbours. I will only receive a caravan/invasions from a civ race if it appears as a neighbour? Like if i have no goblin neighbours, i will not get sieged by goblins?

4. Tips for dealing with untamed wilds/wilderness. They wreck my dwarves, or swarm them with a dozen of caiman which decide to zerg me. I end up taking 8 badgerdogs and 8 boars, maybe i can change them for a strong guard animal which i can set as a guard to protect me? Does such a thing even exist? Mostly the chain him somewhere and have him guard the area instead of randomly running around/being pastured and waiting for the enemy to come to him.

5. Sometimes the reaction that can be qeued in a workshop are too long to be properly displayed. sometimes i can press a to se a description but not always. IS there any other way apart from conducting archeological research in the raws?

6.Trading: Prepared Meals
Imagine my suprise after years of playing and only just realising how expensive meals are! (craftsdwarf you are fired!) But unless they are left outside a barrel in the stockpile, i cannot bring them in the barrel and then select a few of them specifically to trade like i would do with a finished goods bins. Any workaround to this?

7. Trading: Agreement with Liaison.
Basically on the first menu where i choose stuff i tell him what i WANT him to bring, and on the last screen he shoes what eh wants? Because his rp text made me feel like it was the oposite - but that is wrong right?

8. Embarking and finding  a couple of ponds around my wagon. I hate it, i always restart until i find a clear embark. I tend to make a vertical fortress close to the surface and want a 27x27 area clear under the wagon. What can you do apart from digging around to spread the water and allowing it to dry. you cant fill holes with mud and make it dirt again right?

9. Risk of collapse: If i were to dig out ahuge area is there a chance for it to collapse? Also could i build a long line of floor to then start constructing something bigger?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 04:24:28 pm by Popokolara »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 04, 2017, 05:20:36 pm »

Ok here goes:

1. World Generation.
Been using Dfhack to prospect all and check the ores in possible embark locations. Most of the time there is no iron ore (Hematitte, Limonite or Magnetite) to be found, with tetrahedrite being super common. I always look to embark in low and flat elevation areas though. Is that the reason? Furthermore i always examine regions which have shallow + deep metals, river and flux + at least deep soil (super comfy easy start, shame me). Is the iron less common than copper, or its more common in mountainous areas?

yes and yes and yes... iron appears in regions with at least hills, generally, it is less common then copper ores except when you find a mountainside with it... 

2. Why  do dwarves sometimes decide to go exploring around the map? Is the only solution walling them in?

weird DF logic... maybe they are thirsty, maybe they went a picked a plant to eat, maybe they mad... it happens.

3. Before embaring i check my neighbours. I will only receive a caravan/invasions from a civ race if it appears as a neighbour? Like if i have no goblin neighbours, i will not get sieged by goblins?

generally yes.

4. Tips for dealing with untamed wilds/wilderness. They wreck my dwarves, or swarm them with a dozen of caiman which decide to zerg me. I end up taking 8 badgerdogs and 8 boars, maybe i can change them for a strong guard animal which i can set as a guard to protect me? Does such a thing even exist? Mostly the chain him somewhere and have him guard the area instead of randomly running around/being pastured and waiting for the enemy to come to him.

go to ground early and wall in somewhere so that animals can't swarm you.  bridges and traps really only need 2/3 shops to start making and the materials are everywhere.

5. Sometimes the reaction that can be qeued in a workshop are too long to be properly displayed. sometimes i can press a to se a description but not always. IS there any other way apart from conducting archeological research in the raws?

tab/tab/tab it changes the width of the menu to the right and what is displayed there.

you can also change your twbt font in the launcher. ishmera is a favorite of mine, its thin and can get more letters in one line.

6.Trading: Prepared Meals
Imagine my suprise after years of playing and only just realising how expensive meals are! (craftsdwarf you are fired!) But unless they are left outside a barrel in the stockpile, i cannot bring them in the barrel and then select a few of them specifically to trade like i would do with a finished goods bins. Any workaround to this?

not really food in barrels are sold in batches, the game is not designed to treat it any other way.

7. Trading: Agreement with Liaison.
Basically on the first menu where i choose stuff i tell him what i WANT him to bring, and on the last screen he shoes what eh wants? Because his rp text made me feel like it was the oposite - but that is wrong right?

yep the menu that you can change is the one where select what you want him to bring next time.  the last screen is what they will pay for goods you sell them now at the caravan.

8. Embarking and finding  a couple of ponds around my wagon. I hate it, i always restart until i find a clear embark. I tend to make a vertical fortress close to the surface and want a 27x27 area clear under the wagon. What can you do apart from digging around to spread the water and allowing it to dry. you cant fill holes with mud and make it dirt again right?

not really and even if you dug it out, it would refill when it rains unless you put a roof over it.  basically try not to embark on swamps or jungles, savannahs and forests have a lot less ponds.  there is no way to "fill" it in, ponds are permanent features, as far as I've ever seen.

9. Risk of collapse: If i were to dig out ahuge area is there a chance for it to collapse? Also could i build a long line of floor to then start constructing something bigger?

DF will not collapse things as long as they have an edge of connection.   you can build a single up stair at the corner of the map then build a fort that runs the entire width/height/length of the map as long as that stair is still connected.... remove it and the entire thing would fall apart and self destruct.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Popokolara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 04, 2017, 05:44:05 pm »

Is it possible to permanently disable season-palette colour changing?

I have this "thing", where i want flat surface with no pondes and no patches of hills who break the balance, because then the soil levels will be uneven and my 4 underground layer for example might be partially rock etc etc - Its pointless and i should get over it, RIGHT?

I have set up 35 levels above 1st cavern on launcher, and sometimes i still get the cave at 8 levels under the surface - isnt this wrong?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:50:00 pm by Popokolara »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2017, 06:40:30 pm »

I always use the in game settings on world gen.  With the launcher game settings you have to select away from the selector after making a change, for it know your ready to make your change.  It wont make the edit before that.  additionally you need to make that change prior to loading the game and they can only effect the advanced game generation settings.

your also picking low lying areas if your ending up with lots of ponds... that could very well be the issue, too.

to disable season-palette -
1. open up your data/save/{region-folder}/raws/
2. there delete the files that say summer spring winter and fall.

I'm working on a way to disable those.

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Khemul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2017, 08:37:27 pm »

So I have an embark that I'm looking to try out which seems like potential for lots of fun. Basically it's an area where a sinister region meets a serene one. A 4x3 embarks has 130-170k gold and 100-150k copper and about 4-5k iron, depending on the balance of the two regions. Iirc theres some marble down there too. So, other then raining muck that causes fevers and the undead, pretty nice place.

I genned it in 1.25 with 4 necromancer towers nearby, but they seem less common now and in 1.27 I had to try a bunch of time just to get 2. Interesting enough the region were flipped too when I regenned in 1.27, but that changes depending on what creatures are in the raws so it may have been a change to the game or I may have simply selected something different in the launcher. It also used to rain harmless blood in 1.25, but now rains fever-inducing muck.

I figured this would be a good opportunity for a human fort as they focus so much around gold. The 1.25 version I built in the serene region, with the edges of the map being sinister. It went pretty well at first, walled off a nice area, started covering living areas, with an open quarry. They fought off some zombie armadillos and zombie ravens while finishing the wall, the zombie harpies were a bit more of a problem and killed all but 2 people. So to reapproach this as humans, I'm thinking the open air quarry is out. I know I can build an above ground fortress downwards, making all underground area aboveground/inside, which should halt the darkness penalty, although won't reverse it unless I manage to get open areas usable. So I wonder, based on the mechanics of the human civilization, is it even worth going about this as humans or will I always run into trouble from them being inside all the time? I know I can do basically all the same stuff with dwarves and eliminate the potential issues, but that seems too easy.

Popokolara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 04, 2017, 08:40:01 pm »

I noticed a few extra trap components from vanilla, namely the large piston. Are they just as good just different approach to damage (pierce, slash, bludgeon)  etc?

Anyone knows for a cure for my werenoobiness that make sme quit/restart once i reach 30 dwarves, out of stress of not being capable to deal with the number? :-[
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:40:40 pm by Popokolara »

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 05, 2017, 05:20:27 am »

Is the force damage balanced? Or a peasant still can kill someone because their punch broke someone's neck due to the force?
Urist McDM:"Roll a dwarven stupidity check"
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1
*Urist Mcplayer gets stucked in a hole
Urist McPlayer has been found death

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 05, 2017, 08:29:50 am »

So I wonder, based on the mechanics of the human civilization, is it even worth going about this as humans or will I always run into trouble from them being inside all the time? I know I can do basically all the same stuff with dwarves and eliminate the potential issues, but that seems too easy.

Oh wow... okay my suggestion when coming from the human direction in an evil/serene location.... you need walls. preferably:
Code: [Select]
outside    w            inside
           w
gggggg     ggggggg
     g     g
     ggggggg

or in other words a ditch with ramps removed 3 to 5 wide preferably 2 deep if its soil.  with a wall atleast 2 high inside of that.   That will stop most things in evil biomes that are outside from pathing (except birds).  Humans are great at ranged combat and have some of the most powerful late game ranged combat weapons.
basically start training ranged weapons early adding to your group.  along the wall build archer towers that are 1 higher than the wall and roofed with fortifications. spread them out so that the gap is no more than 30 wide.  interior I'd continue the grid placing archer towers through out the base.  use a guard action for each tower point for 1 required 2 assigned to each tower... you should be able to assign 5 towers to 1 squad this way, and if they are well trained most flying zombie critters will get shot down before they can land and they will probably take out anything approaching outside too.  I generally use 9 towers with humans in a 3x3 pattern covering ~60x60 tiles around wherever my caravan trade outpost is... on a zombie embark... I don't know if it would be worth worrying about traders, I'd might limit my surface fort to 40x40 or less (25x25 interior) with only 4 archer towers.

The worst human problem is no magma access.  you can get there if you try but your humans will cave sick before you could get it pumped to the surface, so instead of trying to build a pump stack interior dig a 6x6 hole with a staircase in the corners that you are building every level.  when you uncover the magma sea, build the walls and the pump stack all the way to the top like you would have dug it in vanilla DF.  use that to fill the ditch.... that will deal with the dumb zombies that just can't stand it and want to try and leap the gap to your walls.  also will help with disposal of body parts as you can toss them down the shaft to the magma sea.

another thing to note.  you can dig a region out, cover it with a cieling and its still considered light inside and not a cave. after you do this every floor you dig down after that will still be considered light inside... and not count as a cave.... in other words you can just build a ceiling over your original opening into the surface and then its protected.... you can do that for areas outside of your fortress walls.   when I play humans I general make 11x11 ditches, with a gap of 3 between them, get them down to 3z while trying to cover them.  I'll dig cross tunnels at -3z to avoid the water features and the tree root/roof collapse issues.  that will gain access to each of these and dig walk around the edge on the floor with the tunnels to it. stairs in the corners of each pit from surface to bottom andd wala open surface dig shafts to the underworld, without making humans sick.  if your going deeper than 20z I would suggest taking the time to remove the stairs and replace them as even long internal dark stairways will eventually cause cave sickness.

My best map with humans, 20 humans working 20.  I had 2 shafts that made it all the way through cavern 3 and one that was hot with magma beneath when a flying firebreather megabeast attacked the fortress at the top....  Anything is doable.

I noticed a few extra trap components from vanilla, namely the large piston. Are they just as good just different approach to damage (pierce, slash, bludgeon)  etc?

large pistons are actually a machine part for a steam engine, I've rarely used them. they have horrible statistics and I would not suggest they be used in traps, but if you do let us know how it works out!

Anyone knows for a cure for my werenoobiness that make sme quit/restart once i reach 30 dwarves, out of stress of not being capable to deal with the number? :-[

simple, breathe, and let it go, let it go.... forts aren't a micromanaging nightmare,  I generally set up a few automatic things.
1. military training, 1/4th to 1/2 of my units only have hauler skill set and are in the military training 1 month on, guarding a tower or patrolling a path 1 month, 2 months off that they spend partying and hauling things.
2. use work flow alt-w when you are making tasks... so you want arrows on the ready for your hunters set a workflow to keep 10 stacks of wooden arrows always made.. simple.  other ones I would suggest, the mason, the still, and the kitchen... keep enough blocks, beer, and food on hand to get the work done.  other than that make an order for 10 of this or 10 of that as you need it.
3. designate a dig in priority numbers, 1 is areas you want fully dug out when your miners reach them, 2 are important paths that need to be dug before you got to the next area 3 are breaks between areas you want dug.... however you want to do it... I set up entire 3x3 floors to be dug by the priority numbers, into whatever I want housing, store rooms, workshops. and then sit back and let the dwarfs do they work.

but beyond that if they idle so what.... if they don't idle some they will get stressed out from overwork... they need some time to party, pray, spend time with the kids.  they are more than just worker bees.  Food stockpiles full? turn off the hunters and the fishers and let them spend time chasing the kids and their spouses.  spend time trying to see what the non workers are doing.  you will see them dance with their spouses in the taverns,  or make a home together in their assigned rooms... you can watch people go to your leader and make petitions, the funniest thing you will catch a couple of dwarfs standing on a bed together and 9 months later shes dropping a kid and chasing after it.... thats the best damn "dwarf sex simulator" I've ever seen.

You can spend time watching the doctors fix guys you intentionally dropped a rock on.... you can spend time learning minecart physics and building a roller coaster...  you can spend time watching your hunters hunt, your fishers fish(the later is as boring as watching real people fish, but some like to do it).  you can play with lava, or conquer the caverns.  Even go on a vacation to hell and take the family for a picnic there...

The main thing... don't worry about the losses.... dwarf fortress is about the living and the dying, its about simulating a group of dwarfs struggling in the wild to establish a home and settle down.  As long as a farm is making plants, a still is making portobella gin, a meeting hall is jumping with life, and little babies are appearing every now and then... that's a win no matter what else is happening....

Loosing is when all the !!FUN!! is happening, and that's when all that time you spent with them either comes to end or you cheer with them in their victory.  In the end remember its just a game and generally whatever bad decisions happen... they will grow back or you can start a new.... my longest running fort went 40+ years had over 100 coffins in the graveyard and was being run by the great grandchild of the original leader.  You just have to let it go and it will for the most part do everything on their own.

Is the force damage balanced? Or a peasant still can kill someone because their punch broke someone's neck due to the force?

ummm for the most part yes... what your describing is a vanilla DF issue, that seems to be getting reduced every iteration of the game.  Really what I see now is not I broke somones neck, but oh my I bent they neck funny... and they are still fighting lol... weapons are still much better at killing things than fists.

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29