Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 188249 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #525 on: April 08, 2017, 05:55:28 pm »

In other news, it's a damn good thing we didn't invade the mountains. By the sounds of things, they've set up their frost tower (which is clearly a National Effort) in the mountains this year. I dread to think what the mountains would be like if they were even colder than usual.

Actually, that was them preparing to assault the Desert by setting up the tower as close as they could.  I suppose I didn't make that very clear.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 08, 2017, 06:21:12 pm »

Make the anti-magic so it eliminates carried magical gear as well, given that we don't have any and they have lots.  Then we can charge into the melee and watch the enemy weapons vanish.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 09, 2017, 03:01:48 am »

Make the anti-magic so it eliminates carried magical gear as well, given that we don't have any and they have lots.  Then we can charge into the melee and watch the enemy weapons vanish.
That was my thinking with Weaken Magic; we don't need to completely dispel their magicrystal for it to be useless, just make it weaker than mundane materials.
Long Live United Forenia!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 09, 2017, 03:20:57 am »

Fools! Fools, I tells you. By conceding the eastern seas, they open up their home waters to assault! Let no ship flying the Arstotzkan flag travel unharassed.

Anyway, time for some counterspells. Though let's not get too ambitious. My vote is for

Tubikh Rrahim (AKA Merciful Rebuke, AKA Weaken Magic): After a wizard has spent a month in solitary confinement, studying the sacred texts, and meditating on the nature of magic, he is finally ready to perform this holiest of spells. Invoking nine names of the most merciful god, blasphemous magics are weakened in the targeted area. As the sacred light descends upon them, enemy mages will find their fireballs weak and feeble, their summoned weapons dull and brittle, their mists sparse and translucent.
Tubikh Rrahim is expected to be Very Expensive, and reduce the effectiveness of most enemy spells. It may also weaken our own, but hopefully we can target areas with sufficient accuracy that our own mages are not unduly affected.

In other news, it's a damn good thing we didn't invade the mountains. By the sounds of things, they've set up their frost tower (which is clearly a National Effort) in the mountains this year. I dread to think what the mountains would be like if they were even colder than usual.
+1

If this goes well, spending our expense credit on it could win us the war.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 09, 2017, 11:31:07 am »

I approve of anti-magic, but allow me to offer an alternative;:

Anti magic amulet - A holy symbol,  blessed and anointed by an imam before being enchanted using our knowledge of the Holy Scripture. This item will counter any spell targeted at or near the bearer. This will probably apply to our own magic too, but that's something we can fix later.
I have several concerns:
-Few of the enemy spells actually target our troops directly. Even fireballs, cast at a distance, might not be dispelled by this.
  -One particular kind of spell we would like to counter is their magic weapons (crystal axes and lances), which requires our anti-magic targeting them, not us.
-I fear completely countering a spell may be too ambitious, hence why I'd prefer to just weaken magic.
-We have no experience enchanting items. We can make wands, which mages then cast with, but I don't think we have the knowledge to make items that 'cast themselves', as it were.
-Our baseline cost for anti-magic is a National Effort. For these amulets to be effective, we'd want them to be Expensive at most.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 09, 2017, 01:31:59 pm »

My intention with the charm is mainly to give bearers resistance to fireballs by having the magical heat dissipate in their vicinity. Your points regarding crystal weapons is valid though.  I also see your concern with the enchantment issue, but I don't think the step from "item that lets you cast a spell" is that far from "item that maintains a previously cast spell".

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 09, 2017, 02:52:46 pm »

Nuke's plan has my vote
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 09, 2017, 02:56:20 pm »

We do have the bonus due to spending two actions on it, and we have the expense chit if it comes out too expensive.  Lets go for a bit of a bigger solution.  Especially if it ends up being a national effort or very expensive.  Having something that doesn't do much means we've blown two design phases.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:58:30 pm by Devastator »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 09, 2017, 04:19:01 pm »

+1 for Tubikh Rrahim.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 10, 2017, 09:36:07 am »

Design: Tubikh Rrahim [2, 6!+1, 2]

Magic is tied to the divine.  This much is obvious from the very nature of the magic; miracles wrought on earth through Allah's blessing, used by the righteous to strike down the wicked.  The Arstotzkans have perverted this gift from God, and it is our duty to stop it.

Tubikh Rrahim is our solution.

Imams carefully select the most pious of our mages for this process and prepare them for the spell.  Since piety isn't restricted by experience, it's not uncommon for apprentices to be selected.  It is a great honor and ceremony for those blessed with Allah's will.  After a period of solitude, prayer, and reflection, these individuals are ready to cast.

The spell is every bit as absolute as we could have hoped.  Magic fizzles in the area so long as the mage holds the spell, which they can do for up to a day at a time.  It is the absolute iron fist of Allah, binding all magic in his merciful hand.

Unfortunately, this means our own mages are unable to cast as well.  The spell requires an hour of preparation before casting, and doesn't dispell existing enchantments.  Even worse, the spell consumes those who cast it - though they are physically unaffected, they can never use magic again.  Still, this is a powerful weapon that clearly demonstrates that the will of Allah is with us. [Against all odds, Normal Cost.]

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 10, 2017, 09:52:24 am »

How large is the area of effect, roughly? Can a mage standing behind our lines prevent mages standing behind their lines from casting fireballs?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 10, 2017, 09:54:19 am »

It shuts down magic for an entire theatre. It negates magic in an area big enough to cover a skirmish.  Since it is a spell and mages who use it are no longer able to cast, it can only be used once by whoever we teach it to.

al-Mutriqa knows this spell, but will not use it without grave, extreme reason.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:59:11 pm by evictedSaint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 10, 2017, 10:29:05 am »

An entire theatre?
...uh, wow. I guess tapping into Divine Energy was a good idea after all.
An entire theatre. With a normal cost spell. That's insane.

...but is it usable? Does our magic provide a bigger benefit than theirs?

Spoiler: Our Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Their magic (click to show/hide)
I think that our magic is actually more useful than theirs. In its current OP form, we shouldn't use Tubikh Rrahim. I wonder if we could revise it to be as focused as we want it to be with a single revision.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 10, 2017, 12:52:10 pm »

Glory for Moskur. You said we must learn to beat their magic weapons. ..
how about aiming  mindwash at them or something like peace of allah that turns enemies into pacifists.
That would nullify magic weapons.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 10, 2017, 01:00:58 pm »

Er, sorry - looking back a theatre is too large of an area.  It's reduced to the size of a skirmish to maintain balance.

The biggest issue is that it completely burns out the mages who ise it, followed by negating friendly magic, followed by not dispelling existing enchantments.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 217