Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376908 times)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - Revision Phase 911 [Arstotzka]
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2017, 09:13:12 pm »

Huh? WHY do we have disadvantage on those rolls? On the bright side, our enemy should also get confused by our directions.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - Revision Phase 911 [Arstotzka]
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2017, 11:20:09 pm »

Forenia, 911

In the mountains, the balance of power shifts.  Moskurg has moved additional troops into the mountains to try and gain back their castle, but they fail spectacularly to even get to the battlefield, losing skirmish after skirmish to Arstotzkan traps, many of which are concealed behind rolling clouds of fog.  Arstotzka in turn has failed to win out on most of its return skirmishes with Moskurg, because although the mountains are astoundingly defensible, this goes both ways.  Nevertheless, Arstotzkan forces were able to push back Moskurgers around their newly captured castle and have been building outer walls and watchtowers in place to hold their new territory.  Once again, terrain has proved the key factor in victory.

Arstotzka has gained significant territory in the mountains.

In the jungles, fighting is as bitter as ever.  Moskurger raiders have the clear advantage in the thick jungle, despite the skill of proud Arstotzkan longbowmen who are nevertheless not best suited to ambush tactics.  Magical concealment in the form of rolling clouds of steam help somewhat, but Moskurger raiders are seemingly always able to tell which clouds contain real troops and which are decoys, raining arrows down upon them.  Although the two armies are evenly matched when it comes to actual battle, only half of the Arstotzkan troops ever manage to reach the battlefield, a cruel mirror of their own victories in the higlands.  Moskurg slowly begins to make some territorial gains, but their real victory comes in the butchering of thousands of brave Arstotzkan souls.

The jungles are far too hot for our people, to say nothing of the sudden drops, the rope traps, the perfect ambush ground that Moskurger troops are light and plentiful enough to truly take advantage of.  Worse still is the confusion resulting from our attempts to guard the thanes by dressing them in common clothes and allowing commoners to pretend to command in their place.  Commands have been confused, authority is being questioned, commoners are taking it upon themselves to make tactical decisions with no idea of the overarching strategy, and nowhere has this been worse than in the confusing mess that is the jungle.  We seem to continue to walk into traps at every turn, no matter what we try to do, and now the figures stalking us have begun to mutter mad syllables in some strange arcane tongue whenever we catch sight of them.

The greatest problem we face in the jungle is that of the so-called Black Phantasms; a score of elite Moskurger horsemen all garbed in black cloth and the finest scale mail their inferior armourers can produce.  They have swept through our positions, time and time again, and when our ragged forces finally meet theirs the Phantasms are always leading the charge against us.  Worst is their leader, al-Mutriqa, the Hammer.  Unlike the rest of his band, the Hammer wears bright gold, red and purple silks upon burnished scales, and he fights with religious zeal.  In one hand he wields a golden mace, which thanes have attested can break through even well-wrought chain, and in the other he bears what appears to be the Moskurger's recovered wand, a white rod which seems to glow with the light of the sun.  Our brave soldiers are not dismayed by his sight, but it seems that al-Mutriqa's enchantments give great inspiration to his followers.  Worst of all, the madman screams poetic quatrains to the skies whilst he is killing our men!

Fighting in the plains has been even more brutal than in the jungle.  Armies clash with common frequency, and with no clear advantage in raids and skirmishes armies are meeting one another more or less intact.  Arstotzka successfully took a major town in the plains early in the summer, only to lose it again in autumn.  Territory is changing hands with alarming speed, but there have been no real gains.  There have, however, been losses on both sides, with Moskurger cavalry chasing down fleeing Arstotzkans and Arstotzkan mages entangling fleeing Moskurgers in what appear to be massive spiderwebs, spun out of thin air, that hold their targets in place long enough for the infantry to come take hostages or execute the losers.  Although both sides have lost a number of troops, the Arstotzkans have come out of the exchange worse for wear.

Truthfully, we are showing a poor footing in the plains, where our lack of defensive terrain is causing us harm.  Our thanes and carls fight their hardest, but one man makes the difference; Master Wizard Myark, a man of common stock who prefers to fight amongst the carls, rather than fighting as a thane and leader.  A simple man, Myark marches amongst his fellows, seeming to be any other carl until he raises our rightful inheritance, our wand; a short staff of seemingly blackened wood, set with gleaming bronze runes.  Our enemies flee at the sight of Myark and his staff, for soon after they are burnt and laid low before him.  Myark would not consider himself so high, but right now he is standing between the Moskurgers and their vicious victory.

At sea, the tides have turned, at least in the western sea.  Admist the vicious sea battles between longship and sailboat, sailboats have been attacked by swarms of biting, stinging insects, which would not be such a problem were it for the fact that their stings seem to burn away the cloth of sails!  Both Moskurg and Arstotzka lose ships as fighting intensifies, but with the aid of their blazing wasps, the Arstotzkans are gaining command of the jungle coast.

With losses continuing to pile up, the King has elected to reinforce the flagging plains first and foremost.

It is 912, the Design Phase.

Propaganda Contest:  Moskurg has received the Revision Credit this turn, due to their entertaining propaganda description of al-Mutriqa.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 911 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Spells (click to show/hide)

Huh? WHY do we have disadvantage on those rolls? On the bright side, our enemy should also get confused by our directions.

Because they are bonus rolls, not true revision actions.  Instead of spending your time and energy making them work, you pretty much handed them off to other people and said "Good luck!".
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - Design Phase 912 [Arstotzka]
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 12:53:57 am »

Here's a few ideas for the next phase.

Crystal caltrops : Much smaller, caltrop shapedcrystals. Shattering is beneficial here, as it'll allow the caltrops to pierce into the enemies fkesh

Hollow wooden lance : Basically, a wooden reinforcement to keep our crystal from shattering.

Frigid Mist : Like regular mist, but colder.

Anyway, we should win at sea next turn considering we were weakened due to losses last turn.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:02:05 am by 10ebbor10 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 01:05:57 am »

Summoning arrow.

We use our newly discovered magical materials to construct a material magic from magic materials. Summon the arrow, launch it, and shortly afterwards it casts a spell to summon whatever is in the designated location to the open space of sufficient size that is nearest to itself. It may take a couple of actions because it is a compound spell, but we could get something that can summon squads into surrounding positions, Burning barrels of flammable oil amidst formations, cavalry near to hostile infiltrators...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 01:20:05 am »

For this turn's design, I say we focus on something to counter their detect ambush spell. Because it only detects non-magical ambushes and physical traps, we just need to create magical ones (or hide ours with magic). We could work towards a simple Hiding Spell, which enchants something so that it cannot be detected via magical means. If we can find a way to decrease their detection, that would go a long way.

Another option is to fix the magic lance spell, so that its actually useful in combat. We can use this phase to finish that off, and that may give us an advantage in open combat.

Here are the big issues as I see them:
1) They have good Calvary, and we need something to stop them.
2) They can always know where we are and where our traps are, but we don't know where they are or where their traps are. And the mist spell does little to help here.
We have to fix these or we will continue to lose.

For now I propose we look into an anti-detection spell. Not stealth or anything like that, just a spell that can hide our traps and soldiers from their detection spell (which even though its their cheapest, seems to be pretty strong).
At some point or another, we're going to have to research something like this, the enemy has radar and we don't. We can't win if they always know our movements and we never know theirs.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2017, 02:46:39 am »

We have a hiding spell.

That is what the summon mist is. It just happens not to work that well. I expect only marginal improvement from fixing it, however. I mean, I assume it's not completely useless.

Also, anti-detection doesn't fit with conjuration and will thus have penalties to research.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:53:26 am by 10ebbor10 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 02:52:38 am »

We have a hiding spell.

That is what the summon mist is. It just happens not to work that well. I expect only marginal improvement, to be honest.

Also, true hiding doesn't fut with conjurstion and will thus have penalties.

Summon mist obscures us from vision, but they can still detect where we are via magic. I proposed a spell to hide us from magical detection, not physical detection.

For now I propose we look into an anti-detection spell. Not stealth or anything like that, just a spell that can hide our traps and soldiers from their detection spell (which even though its their cheapest, seems to be pretty strong).
At some point or another, we're going to have to research something like this, the enemy has radar and we don't. We can't win if they always know our movements and we never know theirs.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 02:55:12 am »

I fixed my post just before you responded.

Anyway, their spell really shouldn't be radar. It shouldn't tell them all our movements. It's supposed to detect ambushes and traps, nothing more. If it does anything else it is really overpowered.

But yeah, I suppose you're right. From the descriptions, it really seems that the Moskurgian spells allow them to simply ignore the effects of ours.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:00:23 am by 10ebbor10 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 03:02:52 am »

Magical concealment in the form of rolling clouds of steam help somewhat, but Moskurger raiders are seemingly always able to tell which clouds contain real troops and which are decoys, raining arrows down upon them.  Although the two armies are evenly matched when it comes to actual battle, only half of the Arstotzkan troops ever manage to reach the battlefield...

The jungles are far too hot for our people, to say nothing of the sudden drops, the rope traps, the perfect ambush ground that Moskurger troops are light and plentiful enough to truly take advantage of. We seem to continue to walk into traps at every turn, no matter what we try to do

They know which clouds of steam contain troops and which dont, and are able to decimate our armies long before we can get to a fight. If its not radar, then its as good as radar. It works on troops and traps alike, and unless we get anti-detection started, we will continue to get murdered before fights even begin.

But yeah, I suppose you're right. From the descriptions, it really seems that the Moskurgian spells allow them to simply ignore the effects of ours.

Yes, that's exactly what it feels like.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:06:40 am by Roboson »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 03:05:57 am »

Whoops double post. My bad.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:16 am »

Anyway, I still have the issue with your spell that it's not conjuration, and thus may involve a penalty. I wonder if we could do something that has a similar effect but with conjuration based mechanics.

On a side note, don't forget that they're also reading the mind of our commanders, and doing something with them somehow.

Alternative ideas

Living mist : A variant of the normal mist cloud, but magically granted sentience. No more intelligent than a puppy, it is completely useless, but it's living presence should prevent the enemies diviners from being able to discern which clouds hold troops and which do not. It's extremely energetic mind should give any mind reader a serious headache.

Maddening Wasp : A variant of the wasps that has been enhanced with the venom of certain toads found in the Jungle. If stuck, the enemy diviners or troops will become mad and delusional, seeing enemies behind every corner.

Oh, and one extra

Cutting webs : A spider web strategically reinforced with crystal spears. The webs hold tge spears together, preventing tgdm from shattering. The spears impale those who fall upon them and reinforce the web.

On a side note, why did the Moskurgians get a starting terrain advantage in both the Jungle and the Plains. Isn't the start supposed to be balanced?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:27:52 am by 10ebbor10 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2017, 03:40:33 am »

At this point id take a penalty (and spend a revision or two) to even the playing field. If they can just mind read our commanders without our soldiers being able to kill their mind readers and if they can avoid our spells and traps, then nothing we do matters. No matter what we get, they'll know about it, be prepared for it, and counter it.

Right now we cant have any strategy, because they'll know what it is (and can probably avoid it with their divination magic). Unless we do something to counter this all-knowing set of powers they have, our plans and advances really won't matter.

If you can find a conjuration explanation for a way to turn off their super radar, I'll vote for it in a heartbeat.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2017, 04:15:26 am »

Well, their spells still have issues. They appear ineffective in the plains and mountains, likely because they canlt get close enough. If we can find a way to kill their wizards, they should be depleted in quick order. Remember, they only have a handfull of those.

On a side note :

Magical concealment in the form of rolling clouds of steam help somewhat, but Moskurger raiders are seemingly always able to tell which clouds contain real troops and which are decoys, raining arrows down upon them

The enemy appears to have updated their detection spell. Apparently they can detect magical concealment as well, rather than only normal concealment. As such, I think it may be better to try and kill their mages rather than try and overpower their spells.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2017, 04:20:19 am »

Well a conjured hide could work for ambushes. If you are standing behind something magical then their spell should not work on account of it being a magical ambush. Unless the spell detects the mundane soldiers who are ambushing... Or we could try making hidden webs. I mean, webs can get pretty invisible and that would have to be totally magic... Or we could use my summoning arrow suggestion but make a revised version that acts as a landmine? That ought to be a properly magical ambush...

As for the aiming spell? Better shields? Again, summoning arrows could close distance more quickly and disrupt archers... Or we could conjure expendable or resistant soldiers...

For the commanders? Tinfoil hats? Conjured tinfoil hats for extra magic joojoo? Summoning arrows to quickly engage their infiltrators?

Their death squad? Numbers... Summoning arrows again, drop 50 squads right on top of their hero, in addition to whatever they were already engaging.

Or we could conjure something that scares horses?
Something that improves our mobility would be very nice.
Or something that summons expendable soldiers to act as distractions and retardants...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:05 am »

On a side note, why did the Moskurgians get a starting terrain advantage in both the Jungle and the Plains. Isn't the start supposed to be balanced?

Because you have a starting terrain advantage in both the Mountains and the Jungle.  Your troops are exceedingly good at defence, as implied in your officer descriptions, helping them across all territories, and the jungle bonuses cut both ways (both sides have bonuses here).  Moskurg has a slight advantage in the Jungle because it is a hot territory, but you get the same advantage in the mountains for being cold, which stacks excessively with your other advantages of cold and close-quarters combat.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 301