Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376907 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #540 on: April 10, 2017, 10:02:28 pm »

you can't give every man in an army a longbow and a pike.

first of all, those are entirely different skill sets. second of all, those are both costly primary weapons.
Your logic is bad, as it assumes that every single person in our army will be given a longbow. In truth, it just means we expand the number of archers we have from being a useful tool in the field to a large tactical advantage. Or do you think that every army to field large numbers of archers was stupid to do so? I'd really rather this not become a situation like the MC16 was in the first Arms Race game.
I wasn't responding to you Andres, yes yes Crecy and Agincourt, I was responding to Voidslayer.  :)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 10, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »

I want to switch my vote so bad...
Please do so. Not having massed archer volleys when we have the superior ranged implement of war is hurting us more than a lack of a weak anti-magic charm. It's also a simple goal and thus unlikely to fail, unlike the anti-magic charm which more than likely requires a full Design to do anything significant.

I wasn't responding to you Andres, yes yes Crecy and Agincourt, I was responding to Voidslayer.  :)
Fair enough. Can I convince you to vote for cheaper longbows? The Moskurgers are just begging to be pincushions.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 10, 2017, 11:52:51 pm »

Longbows.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 11, 2017, 02:29:41 am »

That's 4 to 3 in favour of longbows.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 11, 2017, 02:33:01 am »

Revisions Phase:
Actually Functional Anti-Magic Charms: Azzuro, Urist, 10ebbor10
Heat Shields: 0
Metal Shields: 0
Fireball Talisman: 0
Cheap longbows: Andres Void Slayer, Stabby,Roboson

Added the name to the list.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 11, 2017, 06:33:53 am »

Revisions Phase:
Actually Functional Anti-Magic Charms: Azzuro, Urist, 10ebbor10, OceanSoul
Heat Shields: 0
Metal Shields: 0
Fireball Talisman: 0
Cheap longbows: Andres Void Slayer, Stabby,Roboson

I'm for antimagic.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 11, 2017, 08:40:24 am »

If we're going to do actually functional anti-magic charms, we should at least explain what makes them functional compared to the previous version.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 11, 2017, 06:17:12 pm »

I'm for antimagic.
Please change your vote. Making our "anti-magic" charm into what you and the others are imagining is a major project, something that requires a Design rather than a Revision. Making our longbows cheap is not only exactly within the bounds of what a Revision can do, but it'll also result in a major advantage in the area which we have been explicitly told is holding us back the most - killing people.

Glory to Arstotzka.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 11, 2017, 09:17:12 pm »

Revision: Cheaper Longbows [6!]

The limited availability of longbows has been due to the lack the appropriate wood and the lack of proper training.  Longbows are traditionally hewn from yew trees found deep in the forests of our homeland, giving rise to powerful bows that send shafts of ash wood sailing far, far into the distance.  Rather than harvesting from wild yew trees, we've cleared a plot of land to allow for yew trees to be grown and farmed.  This gives a consistent, steady supply of wood for crafting that produces bows of similar quality. 

Training is simpler - veterans of the bow are pulled from our forces during the lull in combat this past year and set about training fresh recruits.  These recruits are still green without the years of training that traditionally accompanies our elite longbowmen, but they can send an arrow on its way just as well.  They likely won't be sharpshooters, but they're good for massed volleys. Normal Cost
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:26:19 pm by evictedSaint »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 11, 2017, 09:25:19 pm »

Okay, that's good.

Anyone want to focus on variations of fireballs(plasmaball, magnesium infused flareball, Arstotzkan Fireball Corps) next turn?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 11, 2017, 09:54:23 pm »

Let's see how this turn plays out, we might want to start designing ships or pikes. But we do need for a fact looking at our stuff revise our webs to be cheap to help deal with their cavalry. If we can get it down to normal and improve it slightly we can gain a lot in skirmishing and anti-cavalry usage.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 11, 2017, 10:10:26 pm »

We could always try and revise our Broadswords to be cheaper. We have that metal buff, so revising them to be cheaper should be possible. Making our officer weapon (which I assume is better than the rank-and-file war axe) our main weapon would be a great way to slaughter more enemies.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 11, 2017, 10:36:36 pm »

I say we fix the tower of frost or try again with the magic detection charms.

Or rapid fire fireballs.

Or wolves.

Wolves that shoot out fireballs.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 12, 2017, 12:37:02 am »

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to do the battle phase tomorrow night.  I'm getting some...really weird results after giving your archers a bonus.

Due to the way counters work in Iituems game engine, it actually looks like improving a skill the enemy has a counter against will hurt your side.

Obviously, I'm not going to penalize you guys for having more archers.  I'll need some more time to go through the code and figure out what would be an appropriate change, but it's late and I'm tired.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 12, 2017, 01:53:37 am »

Ah yes, now I remember why we didn't do bows earlier. The enemy wind spell renders them useless.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 301