Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377091 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1200 on: April 28, 2017, 03:14:35 pm »

Sounds like we're good to go then. It looks like we're not going to be doing any orders, so now we prepare the battlefield and wait.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 28, 2017, 03:15:09 pm »

Given how the fighting was going before this turn, I would not count on that. Unless the enemy has accomplished nothing this turn, we're likely to be pushed back.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 28, 2017, 03:16:01 pm »

I would be inclined to agree on us being pushed back, but might as well try.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 28, 2017, 03:17:34 pm »

Yeah no sense in just not trying anything at all. That's like surrendering basically.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 28, 2017, 03:34:22 pm »

The pants are legitimately effective on the defensive, and OwMyTreeCone is out of the fight this turn. I am very optimistic about holding the jungle. Their artillery should be firing into prepared positions with lots of cover. It is far from the proud lines of inviolate trunks that we might have hoped for, but it will stop more spears and make it more difficult to approach our camps without tripping over things and breaking through ALL of the new foliage that is going to go off like a fire-alarm. It legitimately helps. Man-high trees may not be invincible, but they can still take a spear that was gunning for a soldier. We just have to dig in and hold them off, I do not foresee a problem here.

Order:Operation Mountain Fortress
Our forces in the mountain begin planting forests at the approaches from Moskurg, especially in mountain passes and open fields. And seriously try to have someone competent at logistics running the show. We can just cut our way through again if we block the wrong corridor, but it is still a hassle...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 28, 2017, 03:42:44 pm »

Our enemy can snipe commanders by magic. Hiding behind a shrubbery is not going to work.

These are the kind of plants we have for our defenses. It takes 20 minutes to plant one, and then 24 hours to grow.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is not going to stop a speeding ballista bold, a moskurgian charge or your average rodent.

Our best hope is to plant something like deadly nightshade and have all the Moskurgians poison themselves by eating the berries.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:46:03 pm by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 28, 2017, 03:44:36 pm »

Indeed, they are not going to stop a ballista bolt. especially not coming from above.

all they can do right now is hopefully break charges and formations.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 28, 2017, 03:45:48 pm »

Yeah well I suggested force fields too but you did not vote for that, did you? Now let's see how it goes down instead of the salt about a new tech tree thing.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 28, 2017, 03:46:58 pm »

Force fields would have failed spectacularly.

New research => Not usefull within 2 turns.

I hope everyone can remember that, so that on the next turn people don't go off chasing the next shiny thing.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:47 pm »

Then what would have worked?! The crystals keep getting dispelled and that's all you Viking guys had before I stopped being a spectator. That and good body armor. Because the fire balls kill good but still lack range in navy.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 28, 2017, 03:57:49 pm »

Crystal shields would have been fine. They can't dispel at ballista range.

Or mundane huge wood shields on wheels, to shield our commanders.

Steam tanks if we wished to be ridiculous.

The huge scale obscuring could have helped as well, if we pulled off the making it stop magical detection part.

Many things could have worked, and many of them more plausible that just starting conjuring force fields strong enough to stop ballista in one turn.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 28, 2017, 04:00:21 pm »

We have many things, ignoring them for your personal pet project is not a good idea.

We could have :
- Build our own (conventional) siege engine
- Designed a decent metallic lance
- Designed a better metal weapon
- Designed a better shield
- Build a faster ship
- Gotten the Steam ship working
- Given our forces a shovel to build fortifications
- Improved our anti-magic charms
- Created a new creature summon spell
- Upgraded our frost tower
- Fixed the crystals
- Improved the firewall

All of those would have done something. None would have done everything, but nothing can do that.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 28, 2017, 04:10:34 pm »

The metallic Lance should have been done ages before this point and I do have ideas for a siege engine and steam ship. I just figured the possibility of two Ragusa is a good thing as the sand natives will always want the jungle. Especially as it is becoming plains two. Something this research is trying to prevent. And no shovels? Neither side ever had shovels. Wtfery logic is that?

I do think steam engine should be researched. Problem is the ship size, which my future design will fix.

I do agree with shield though.

And creature summon? Why has it not been suggested except now? I do not want to conjure new creatures, I want them grown ( future branch of this pet project if it continues, which is unlikely)

And lastly we had ideas to anchor the crystal weapons. No one decided to make it work.

I apologize. Have no more right to say in the matter. Let's see how it goes.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 28, 2017, 04:14:05 pm »

Its my understanding we have a year to prepare in which our mages aren't doing much else except growing plants and playing magic. If they can each grow a dozen tree to their height in a day, and then grow it again the next, and again the next, and so on and so forth for months, then we're going to get results. Its not like our mages are going to cast the grow spell once and then never do it again, its a repeat process.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 28, 2017, 04:18:18 pm »

It's my understanding that the battles are an abstraction.

We don't literally fight just 1 battle per year. There's no down time or preparation time.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 301