Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377087 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1530 on: April 30, 2017, 03:15:55 pm »

So if anyone is willing to change their vote for any of these things, I will too:

Anchored Crystal Plates
Crystal Canopy
Disrupting Mist
Tuneable Antimagic Charm

Crystal Plates
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 30, 2017, 03:26:02 pm »

Disrupting mist + Anchored Crystal Plates + Crystal canopy = Deflecting Crystal Mist

Deflecting Crystal Mist
Using our knowledge of crystals , antimagic, and mist, we've devised the perfect defense against their ranged attacks. This mist is filled with anti-magic crystal dust, which, when magic attempts to pass through it, the dust particles around the projectile explode, destabilizing the nearby spell and changing the trajectory of any nearby projectiles. This even works on residual magic, like the kind on homing luckystrike arrows.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 30, 2017, 03:28:04 pm »

If someone else votes for it, I will too.

And question - How do we use it without hurting our own forces?
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: April 30, 2017, 03:33:18 pm »

I would be willing to vote for the Crystal Canopy, if you'll vote for it Chiefwaffles, and since it would prevent them from killing our mages and protect the deck of our ships it'll be worth it. We could just do rifling and maybe metal ammunition in a revision.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 30, 2017, 03:34:36 pm »

that is crazy complex, I doubt it can deflect ballista bolts without cooking our soldiers and from what we have seen the projectiles have no residual magic. Magic is probably applied at the moment of launch for aiming, the spell, from what I can gather, makes them fire in just the right direction to hit the desired target. But anything after that seems perfectly mundane.

as for crystal canopy, remember that their antimagic is getting larger in range.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 30, 2017, 03:37:41 pm »

It's going to get exponentially harder for them to upgrade their anti-magic. And unless they read this thread "randomly" decide to pursue increased range for anti-magic in revision phase, I think we'll be fine.

Voting for Crystal Canopy.

0 - Disrupting Mist:
3 - Crystal Canopy: VoidSlayer, Chiefwaffles, Stabby
0 - Tuneable Antimagic Charm
1 - Lucky Charms: Andres
1 - Anchored Crystal Plates: Chiefwaffles
1 - Anti-antimagic Arrow: Roboson
1 - Anchored Crystal Weapons: Light Forger
1 - Rifled Barrels: 10ebbor10
2 - Mk2 Steam cannon: Andrea, Azzuro
0 - Crystal Plates

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 30, 2017, 03:46:39 pm »

If we di that, we will be forced to invent anti-anti magic next turn though. Otherwise they'll take out our cannons while taking out the shields.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 30, 2017, 03:47:28 pm »

I can't find the design for crystal canopy, can someone quote it in?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: April 30, 2017, 03:49:16 pm »

Crystal Canopy - A large, immobile shield of crystal that can cover a group of mages and those operating the cannons.  It blocks only from above with a slanted design.  A portion of it is summoned separately to allow a "firing port" which can be dismissed and re-summoned quickly to allow the cannon to fire out.

It is designed to be actively maintained by a squad of mages who will be under it.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 30, 2017, 03:49:38 pm »

Anti-anti-magic is something we should be doing soon anyways, ebbor, since right now our fireballs are useless because of it.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: April 30, 2017, 03:54:16 pm »

Anti-anti-magic is something we should be doing soon anyways, ebbor, since right now our fireballs are useless because of it.

Magic disruption arrow!

Crystal Canopy - A large, immobile shield of crystal that can cover a group of mages and those operating the cannons.  It blocks only from above with a slanted design.  A portion of it is summoned separately to allow a "firing port" which can be dismissed and re-summoned quickly to allow the cannon to fire out.

It is designed to be actively maintained by a squad of mages who will be under it.

Wouldn't it be better if we could summon it quickly to cover our soldiers and thanes in addition to our mages? That way it blocks arrows as well.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 30, 2017, 03:55:53 pm »

If you want infantry too, that's  Anchored Crystal Plates: Chiefwaffles

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: April 30, 2017, 04:00:17 pm »

Yeah. I still prefer Anchored Crystal Plates and will probably switch my vote for it if it means it gets in, but Crystal Canopy at least should work at what it intends to do.

There's nothing stopping mages from quickly casting Crystal Canopy to protect soldiers, thanes, and the like but it's still made useless by the anti-magic that envelopes where we'd be using it to protect our soldiers. Anchored Crystal plates would definitely work better since they wouldn't be stopped by anti-magic but have the disadvantage of not being quickly put up. But it'd still see plenty of use in the front lines by archers and a trench-like style of advancing. Possibly.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 30, 2017, 04:01:55 pm »

If you want infantry too, that's  Anchored Crystal Plates: Chiefwaffles

Honestly I just want a summonable dome to defend against incoming ballistas. I don't want it to be restricted to artillery. I don't care if it gets dispelled at close range, because at that point we can just kill them. Its the archers and ballistas that are killing us.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 30, 2017, 04:04:10 pm »

It's not close range, but moderate range. It won't help at all in most scenarios because it straight-up can't be used because of the anti-magic. If we could kill the mages casting their anti-magic, then we'd already be doing it.

And again, it's not restricted to cannons! It's designed for them, sure, but it'd still work for infantry. It's just that any crystal-based design for infantry that isn't anchored is completely useless.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 301