Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 375637 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #3510 on: July 02, 2017, 01:09:13 am »

GM, I have a few questions and things to point out.

1. What is the Crystalworks mk1 made out of? Not the new one, I'm talking about the first version.
2. Where, based on our current advantages and Moskurg's advantages as of the last turn, do our commanders think we have the best chance of gaining victory?
3. The Restless should now be Expensive thanks to the new Crystalworks. It's made out of crystal which drops the price.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:13:14 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: July 02, 2017, 01:13:03 am »

1) same stuff smaller scale
2) your generals assure you the war will be over in three years
3) k

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: July 02, 2017, 01:15:32 am »

I recommend the plains. Seems illogical, but the cavlary hasn't existed for a while now and the protector should work best there. Meanwhile they have negated temperature and terrain factors so...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: July 02, 2017, 01:16:40 am »

1) same stuff smaller scale
3) k
1. Ok, but what material? Stone, metal, or crystal? If it's made out of crystal, the new crystalworks should drive its price down, giving us Cheap Crystalworks Mk. 1, which means you'll have to decide what the Crystalworks Mk. 1 does when it's Cheap.
3. I made an error. They should just be Expensive. The fact that the Steam Engine was Expensive wasn't affecting the price. The Restless' now-Expensive price tag is bottlenecked by something else other than the Steam Engine. Complexity, probably.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:18:39 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: July 02, 2017, 01:19:32 am »

What? Which general made the treasonous claim we would not instantly win this year! 

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: July 02, 2017, 01:22:21 am »

What? Which general made the treasonous claim we would not instantly win this year!
We can only advance a maximum of one step each year, regardless of how overpowering we are, likely for logistical reasons involving setting up and securing new supply routes.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: July 02, 2017, 02:35:28 am »

I have my own set of questions too!

1.) The HC1-E was already Cheap, but the AS-HAC-1 is/was Expensive yet wasn't listed in the revision result. Did you forget to state that the AS-HAC-1 is now Cheap or is this intentional?
2.) The Steam Engine was Expensive, and we got the IDE through a free upgrade to the Steam Engine. So shouldn't the IDE have been Expensive before the revision and should now be Cheap?
3.) I'm assuming "resistive and non-resistive crystal layering" is not retroactive to the designs (Protector + Combat Armor) that tried and failed to apply this technique?

So we may have not gotten anti-magic resistance, but this is still an awesome result. Cheap Crystalclads is amazing. Now we can just drown our enemies in artillery fire on the sea. Same on land thanks to the Cheap HA1. (Hopefully) Cheap AS-HAC-1s should do wonders for point defense and anti-infantry. The Expensive Restless will ensure that we never run out of shells, that we can transport troops between territory faster, and that train derailments are less of a problem due to how many trains we have.

The Expensive Protector means it'll actually be useful. Not as useful as its potential because of anti-magic, but still useful. Even if it gets hit with anti-magic, it's only immobile as long as anti-magic is applied and the soldiers inside can still stay inside for cover. Worst case scenario we can use them as mobile cannons.

Remember that Moskurg's anti-magic is a staff. An expensive(?) one, at that. Their wizards are already rare. The portion of wizards carrying the staff is also small. They have to have the staff in advance. They have to consciously target it. Their anti-magic isn't the same as ours. Ours stops all magic constantly and isn't reliant on a mage to function, but is shorter range.
Their anti-magic won't obsolete the Protector at all. It just means the Protector won't always be able to transport our soldiers straight past their front lines. Just most of the time.

But we have to do AM Resistance next turn. Either as a main feature of a design or its own revision. It should be easier now given that the Crystalworks Mk. 2 is more capable of that kind of thing. AM Resistance will help us in the Protector and the AS-R1.
We could do the AS-R2 now that we have the protector, and include AM resistance as a primary feature.

Also.
Future Revision: Central Power (Requires Aethergem)
In Arstotzka, the need of the people for magitech is growing. Citizens are beginning to see the use of older steam engines no longer in use by the military. Several paranoid citizens and some of the more upper-class citizens in Arstotzka have begun placing defenses on their properties.
This all requires magical energy. Power. Up until this point, we've had apprentices during their time at the Academy power devices around the city, but this is obviously quickly becoming unfeasible.

Our construction corp will oversee the construction of a crystalline tower in the middle of Arstotzka. The tower isn't particarly large or tall, but it's just tall enough to qualify as a tower.
In this tower we will place as many Aethergems as we can. Expense is not a concern, as we will only be needing one tower. The Aethergems shall be linked together via crystal wiring. Underground and/or above ground, crystal wiring will extend from the tower to the homes of the citizenry, factories, and government buildings. The citizens will be able to power their magitechnology without requiring the gift of magic, and our institutions and buildings will operate at increased efficiency without a reliance on clumsy human apprentices.

The immediate benefits are clear. First, the Crystalworks will operate at a much greater speed. The removal of apprentices from the equation mean we can pour as much power into the plant as the circuitry allows. Instead of being bottlenecked by the input of power, the Crystalworks will work at maximum capacity.

The idea of the above revision is to 1.) WIN THAT CULTURE UPDATE. 2.) Upgrade Crystalworks (if needed; hopefully with the Mk. 2 the Crystalworks bonus should actually start working now.) and 3.) Do more stuff?
The problem is that we don't have that much magitech that would be used in the cities. The Crystalworks is about it at this point, really.

As for "how the hell is that a revision, Chiefwaffles. Why do you try to sneak designs into revisions so much?!"
The answer is simple. We make a building and stick Aethergems into it, then wire those Aethergems to other buildings as needed. There is no design here. The Crystal makes the building part even easier. This isn't "make a schematic for power plants to use everywhere", this is "make a single building, throw some items that we already have into them, then call it a day."

EDIT:

Send Bjorn to the Plains.
I'm basing this off of a worst case scenario where Moskurg completely counters our new artillery advantage. So I'm choosing the place where we lost the least two combat phases ago. The plains was stated to only be a loss because of our loss of the sea. Which shouldn't be a problem. The Jungle was stated to be extremely close, but was lost because of the tornado, which the Protector soft counters.

The jungle seems to be said to be a lot closer but I'm much more certain that we beat their advantage at the plains - the sea. That and the Protector should have the greatest effect in the plains, where it'll be able to move a lot more freely and with very infrequent terrain-caused breakdowns.

BJORN
2 - Plains: RAM, Chiefwaffles
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:45:12 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: July 02, 2017, 03:31:19 am »

Future Revision: Central Power (Requires Aethergem)
In Arstotzka, the need of the people for magitech is growing. Citizens are beginning to see the use of older steam engines no longer in use by the military. Several paranoid citizens and some of the more upper-class citizens in Arstotzka have begun placing defenses on their properties.
This all requires magical energy. Power. Up until this point, we've had apprentices during their time at the Academy power devices around the city, but this is obviously quickly becoming unfeasible.

Our construction corp will oversee the construction of a crystalline tower in the middle of Arstotzka. The tower isn't particarly large or tall, but it's just tall enough to qualify as a tower.
In this tower we will place as many Aethergems as we can. Expense is not a concern, as we will only be needing one tower. The Aethergems shall be linked together via crystal wiring. Underground and/or above ground, crystal wiring will extend from the tower to the homes of the citizenry, factories, and government buildings. The citizens will be able to power their magitechnology without requiring the gift of magic, and our institutions and buildings will operate at increased efficiency without a reliance on clumsy human apprentices.

The immediate benefits are clear. First, the Crystalworks will operate at a much greater speed. The removal of apprentices from the equation mean we can pour as much power into the plant as the circuitry allows. Instead of being bottlenecked by the input of power, the Crystalworks will work at maximum capacity.

The idea of the above revision is to 1.) WIN THAT CULTURE UPDATE. 2.) Upgrade Crystalworks (if needed; hopefully with the Mk. 2 the Crystalworks bonus should actually start working now.) and 3.) Do more stuff?
When I started reading what this was supposed to do I had guessed that it was meant to reduce the number of apprentices necessary to perform civilian duties to 0, effectively making the AAAA cheap and giving us more apprentices to work with. That, in truth, is probably what Central Power should be trying to do. Our Crystalworks are not bottlenecked by power input.

Glory to Arstotzka.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: July 02, 2017, 03:41:09 am »

I think we should send Myark to desert.

In part because the endgame is moskurg capital and we are getting close. We must push hard.
In part because that would be the safest for them, so they may send their heir there.

BJORN
2 - Plains: RAM, Chiefwaffles

MYARK
1 - Desert: Andrea

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: July 02, 2017, 03:53:45 am »

Bjorn to the plains. That's wear our artillery really shines, and we are most likely to advance. I doubt they could completely counter our artillery advantage in one turn, but even if they do, the protector is best suited to operate in the plains.

Next turn I think we ought to design the AAR-1 (Arstotzkan auto rifle) and revise the protector to use treads and reduce complexity.

@Es, if we hold the entirety of multiple territories, do we get the advantage of advancing into the desert from multiple fronts?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: July 02, 2017, 03:57:28 am »

BJORN
3 - Plains: RAM, Chiefwaffles, Helmacon

MYARK
2 - Desert: Andrea, Chiefwaffles

Adding Helmacon's vote and I'm voting for sending Myark to the desert for the same reasons Andrea stated. Let's push and scare Moskurg a little. It'd be great if we could get their heir, too and the Desert is the place where they had the biggest advantage. Relatively. We still won easily, of course.

The best part is that the Protector should also do amazingly well in the desert.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: July 02, 2017, 04:03:34 am »

That depends upon what sort of desert it is. I am assuming that it is the motion-picture desert with the endless sand-dunes, which would be murder on, well, mobility in general... But then again, they have all that cavalry, their cavalry must be atleast vaguely good on the open desert, so maybe it is a more solid desert?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: July 02, 2017, 04:07:50 am »

If the heir to Moskurg is captured by our forces, Myark is to focus the power of the Wand of True Light on her to turn her into an Arstotzkan.

Women should be allowed into our army. They are just as numerous as men, so naturally this would double the amount of troops we have.

BJORN

MYARK
1 - Plains: Andres

ORDERS
1 - If Moskurg heir is captured, turn her into an Arstotzkan: Andres
1 - Allow women into our army to double our troop count: Andres

We should maximise the chance of getting that Revision Credit and ensure our heir survives. Moskurg is going to try to counter our artillery and may send al-Mutriqa.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: July 02, 2017, 04:16:20 am »

Allowing women into our army would not double troop count.

Typically the structure of societies around this time (disclaimer: I have no actual source for this and am not particularly qualified) is that the men go to war while women stay at home managing and running society. Sure, not all men go to war, but a significant portion does.
Allowing women into our army would just change that so a portion of men and women stay home to keep things running. If it actually doubled the troop count, then we'd effectively be making our cities ghost towns and destroying our chances at long-term survival.

So the order would mostly serve to advance our culture/society. Which, in my opinion, is not worth rolling at an disadvantage when getting a bad roll actually hurts us.

If we could integrate women into our army just to be progressive that'd be cool and I'd definitely support it, but like I said, doing it for purely progressive/fluff reasons is not worth the very possible negative consequences of a failed roll. I don't really have anything to say on the other order.
BJORN

MYARK

ORDERS
1 - Don't allow women into army (for non sexist reasons, I swear!): Chiefwaffles
And I doubt Bjorn's going to get wounded into the plains. The enemy would have to counter a significant portion of our artillery advantage (probably more than just explosive shells) and strengthen an existing advantage of theirs to do so. We have the Protector, which will work great in the desert, and a ton of things that just got reduced in Expense. Moskurg would have to do a lot with very good rolls to even get a "very minor victory".

Moskurg's not going to expect Myark in the desert. Let's take advantage of that.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: July 02, 2017, 04:27:46 am »

I forgot to vote for where we should send Bjorn.

BJORN
4 - Plains: RAM, Chiefwaffles, Helmacon, Andres

MYARK

ORDERS
1 - Don't allow women into army (I'm a sexist, you see): Chiefwaffles

There we go.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 301