Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 345502 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #3015 on: January 02, 2021, 02:20:57 pm »

"When you get down to it, it's just nice to be nice. That, and a desire to see where this will all lead to in the end."

Take 2: wizarding boogaloo.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: January 02, 2021, 02:36:46 pm »

"I'm mostly just along for the adventure of it all. If we end up doing some good, then that's just the cherry on top for this birdbarian, Caw."
answer
Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:50:43 pm by Pancaek »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3017 on: January 08, 2021, 10:19:27 am »

"I'm mostly just along for the adventure of it all. If we end up doing some good, then that's just the cherry on top for this birdbarian, Caw."
answer

"When you get down to it, it's just nice to be nice. That, and a desire to see where this will all lead to in the end."

Take 2: wizarding boogaloo.

The air around you vibrates. The seemingly infinite yet forshortened and illusory library seems to shrink slightly, so that the exit at the far end is visible. A voice from everywhere, every book and scroll and pillar and tile, speaks.

"What you seek is straight ahead. But before you tread that path consider this: What killed the world? What killed Earth, most kindly of the gods. And why does Fire persist when all his siblings have perished?"

Use a reverse-permanent strengthen View spell to give a temporary altered view of the earth.. shift it to lead the hive cluster in an alternate direction.

Use a temporary d10 reverse-permanent strengthen speed on self spell to put self in overdrive.

Shred through the hive looking for the central command location.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
-2 mana
Ok so you succeed on altering the view of the earth. You sort of put like a bubble in front of the entire hive which distorts the view of the earth below. You can make it look like they're going one way or the other but at this point I'm gonna need you to point out where on the map you want to point this thing towards. Because if it hits...its gonna make a mess.

-1 mana.
You start tearing into the structure, ripping open bulkheads and shredding through the old stone structures . You quickly figure out that a lot of this used to be an old capital building or something like it and that the hive used it as a scaffold to build upon. It lends the internal structure of the hive an increadibly confusing and, to your eyes, nonsensical arrangement. You smash through automated factories, automated smelting plants and forges, automated repair bays, reactors, and so on. The last room you breach is an odd one; a bunch of sealed vats of chemicals and strange twirling mechanisms. You attempt to continue smashing through but as you tear through a vat something inside it gets loose. You realize in an instant that this must be where they make those springs; those impossibly tightly wound mechanical batteries that drive their machines. Because when you break the mechanism the spring that is in the midst of being wound explodes outward. 50 or 60 miles of wafer thin metal compressed into an object the size of a man's fist unravels in an instant.

You manage to coil up and avoid being shredded into pieces, but you still get hurled backwards through several rooms until you slam into an ancient carved stone pillar.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: January 11, 2021, 03:34:51 am »

The air around you vibrates. The seemingly infinite yet forshortened and illusory library seems to shrink slightly, so that the exit at the far end is visible. A voice from everywhere, every book and scroll and pillar and tile, speaks.

"What you seek is straight ahead. But before you tread that path consider this: What killed the world? What killed Earth, most kindly of the gods. And why does Fire persist when all his siblings have perished?"

"The only method that we are aware of that can kill a god, or at least their conscious representation, is explicitly killing their body, like how they tried to assassinate Alizarin. However, she also hinted at another, more... insidious way. That it was us humans who 'drank the divine blood to build this world of ours', and that this world could never return. That it was impossible to return dead gods to life, now that we already spent so much divine blood in our pursuit of magic. She did not go into exact detail as to what exactly this all meant or why it would have affected Kal-Dune and not Telcal.

Perhaps Telcal is sustaining himself on some sort of power or energy that Kal-Dune could not or didn't want to. Or perhaps Earth, in his endless generosity, gave so much of himself there was nothing left in the end, while Telcal distributes his blessings more sparingly."

As above. Move forward to the exit/next part, unless this voice wants to converse with us more.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:38:25 am by Radio Controlled »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: January 11, 2021, 04:15:04 am »

Saeko's orders are elsewhere.  Basically cast a scry spell, try to capture whoever is in charge here, and after that succeeds or fails, try to lift it up by dint of main force and multiple temporary d12 strengthen grow expand feline bird spells.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 12:15:19 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3020 on: January 11, 2021, 08:49:55 pm »

"The only method that we are aware of that can kill a god, or at least their conscious representation, is explicitly killing their body, like how they tried to assassinate Alizarin. However, she also hinted at another, more... insidious way. That it was us humans who 'drank the divine blood to build this world of ours', and that this world could never return. That it was impossible to return dead gods to life, now that we already spent so much divine blood in our pursuit of magic. She did not go into exact detail as to what exactly this all meant or why it would have affected Kal-Dune and not Telcal.

Perhaps Telcal is sustaining himself on some sort of power or energy that Kal-Dune could not or didn't want to. Or perhaps Earth, in his endless generosity, gave so much of himself there was nothing left in the end, while Telcal distributes his blessings more sparingly."

As above. Move forward to the exit/next part, unless this voice wants to converse with us more.

You  get no answer and instead travel forward in relative silence as the shadow library. The exit comes far quicker than you expect it to, maybe 50 feet seem to pass before you're standing at it. You look back and the path you've traveled seems to extend backwards for miles. You pass out the gate and find yourself immediately in darkness again. True darkness this time, cave darkness. But you can hear something; a slow and sticky flowing, like an ocean of molasses. The echoing of it seems to indicate you are in a giant cavern, with the ceiling somewhere nearby and the floor far below. You reach out and feel a wall of stone beside you, on your right, and a carved path beneath your feet. To the left is open air and the origin of the noises.

Saeko's orders are elsewhere.  Basically cast a scry spell, try to capture whoever is in charge here, and after that succeeds or fails, try to lift it up by dint of main force and multiple temporary d12 strengthen grow expand feline bird spells.

You scry out your target and [-11] power yourself up as you barrel through the hive towards it. You reach where the magic told you to go and find some sort of enormous metal sphere buried in the stone ruins of an ancient building. You reach out and grab it, intent on tearing it free, but instantly shrink back. The thing grounded you. Like when things have grounded your magic, but it grounded YOU. You touched it and immediately felt the mana being torn straight out of you. [-3 mana].  You take a closer look. The thing is a strange kind of metal, all bluish gray and swirled. Even just being near it here feels a little...wrong. 

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: January 12, 2021, 02:54:44 am »

Test our lamp, nothing I guess?

Either way, carefully go down the dark path again, using our poking stick to make sure we don't make a wrong move.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: January 12, 2021, 10:45:59 am »

Well, since we're in microgravity, that opens up some more options.

Tunnel a path out of the hive for the big orb, preferably towards the ground  Then, look for a suitable steel pillar/pole/beam in the wreckage to use as a pushing device.. use a weak (but permanent) Strengthen Permanent Steel Weapon spell to reshape the wreckage bit into something more suitable, if necessary.  Strengthen Permanent is to resist any further reshaping or limit any simple deformation due to force.  It shouldn't be vulnerable to having the spell sucked out since it's just reshaping a bit of dead metal.

Then shove the control room down towards the ground with main force.  This time, I will aim it, for somewhere recoverable that is somewhat close to my estate, although still miles away.  If the pole fails, I'm willing to risk being drained a bit to end this.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:39:24 am by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3023 on: January 14, 2021, 09:09:35 am »

Test our lamp, nothing I guess?

Either way, carefully go down the dark path again, using our poking stick to make sure we don't make a wrong move.

The lamp shows the carved stone path and the wall next to you, but little else.  You resign yourself and begin walking, carefully following the trail and tapping your way down with your trusty poking stick. As you advance the sound of thick flowing becomes louder and louder until you finally, after the path switches back and forth several times, come to the floor of the cavern. You walk towards the sound and come to what seems to be a river of black flux. Its so wide you can't see the other side and flowing much quicker than you've ever seen the flux flow. Its warm as well; warm enough that you can feel the heat rising from it. Not burning hot, but as warm as a human, or maybe a bit warmer.

Well, since we're in microgravity, that opens up some more options.

Tunnel a path out of the hive for the big orb, preferably towards the ground  Then, look for a suitable steel pillar/pole/beam in the wreckage to use as a pushing device.. use a weak (but permanent) Strengthen Permanent Steel Weapon spell to reshape the wreckage bit into something more suitable, if necessary.  Strengthen Permanent is to resist any further reshaping or limit any simple deformation due to force.  It shouldn't be vulnerable to having the spell sucked out since it's just reshaping a bit of dead metal.

Then shove the control room down towards the ground with main force.  This time, I will aim it, for somewhere recoverable that is somewhat close to my estate, although still miles away.  If the pole fails, I'm willing to risk being drained a bit to end this.

[11+4v18]
You start tearing away at the hive, trying to tunnel a way out for the big control room sphere. But as you dig through steel the long avoided swarms of machines descend upon you.
[2+4v11][20+5v1]
You manage to avoid harm but its like fighting a swarm of ants: they come from all directions, leaping at you, climbing on you, trying to sink mechanical claws and blades into you en masse. You bash them back but there seems no end to them and you can't concentrate on digging while they're trying to murder you via a thousand cuts.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: January 14, 2021, 12:12:36 pm »

That's one of the things my tail is for.  Try to knock the bots off me with my tail.  If that fails, break this popsicle stick:

Make one more with a fifteen-second duration d8 Force Wall, to surround myself in a nearly impenetrable force-field.  If I can control it, try to make it more like a skin than a bubble.

Fifteen seconds is a short time, but I've got abnormal speed plus two currently-running temp buffs to it.  That should get them off me for long enough to get moving again.

If that fails, spend a temporary d8 Reverse-Permanent Strengthen spell to drain yet more power out of the pile of attacking robots into myself, which should let me win the day.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:39:32 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: January 14, 2021, 05:04:49 pm »

Do a d8 viscera sensing spell, anything near us? If yes use the sunbroer staff to ask it where we should be going and how to get there.

Explore a little bit around to see if there's any other landmarks or indications of where to go. Try to leave some markings along the way so we can find our way back.

If nothing comes up, poke our stick into that flux, any adverse reaction? If not stick a pinky of our diving suit in, nothing bad?

If not, and if the stream seem slow enough that we could still wade through it without definitely getting dragged away, tie some rope to the shore somewhere and wade in carefully (we still have our diving suits on afaik) and try to reach the other side. Darwin first, once he reaches the other side then Ecalir (so if there's problems Ecalir can drag Darwin back since the rope is tied to him).   

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:06:42 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: January 14, 2021, 05:07:14 pm »

Follow Darwin's plan. Caw.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3027 on: January 18, 2021, 03:24:56 pm »

Follow Darwin's plan. Caw.

Do a d8 viscera sensing spell, anything near us? If yes use the sunbroer staff to ask it where we should be going and how to get there.

Explore a little bit around to see if there's any other landmarks or indications of where to go. Try to leave some markings along the way so we can find our way back.

If nothing comes up, poke our stick into that flux, any adverse reaction? If not stick a pinky of our diving suit in, nothing bad?

If not, and if the stream seem slow enough that we could still wade through it without definitely getting dragged away, tie some rope to the shore somewhere and wade in carefully (we still have our diving suits on afaik) and try to reach the other side. Darwin first, once he reaches the other side then Ecalir (so if there's problems Ecalir can drag Darwin back since the rope is tied to him).   

-3 mana: Nothing alive near you...other than a faint response from the black flux. The flux itself, not something in it.
You walk along the river of flux, back towards where it seems to be flowing from. And you come across...something. It looks like stone but its not the opposite wall of the cavern. Its...sort of a crazed amalgamation of types of stone. Different colors, different textures, even veins of ore, exposed geodes, crystals, cracks and faults, odd extrusions, etc. A geologist's variety show crammed into this formation. And this formation has some kind of shape...you can only see a tiny sliver of it in the lantern light but something about this...whatever it is you're looking at seems distinctly organic.

That's one of the things my tail is for.  Try to knock the bots off me with my tail.  If that fails, break this popsicle stick:

Make one more with a fifteen-second duration d8 Force Wall, to surround myself in a nearly impenetrable force-field.  If I can control it, try to make it more like a skin than a bubble.

Fifteen seconds is a short time, but I've got abnormal speed plus two currently-running temp buffs to it.  That should get them off me for long enough to get moving again.

If that fails, spend a temporary d8 Reverse-Permanent Strengthen spell to drain yet more power out of the pile of attacking robots into myself, which should let me win the day.

You batter the robots away with your tail in one big swirl  of metal and flesh and then continue tearing through the metal. Digging a hole large enough for the sphere to pass through untouched is a fool's errand so you instead piece a hole straight to the outside, weakening a path for the sphere to bash through. When you reach the outside you see the world as the hive sees it: Through the distortion of your spell. The world below seems to take up your entire vision, though exactly what part of it you're looking at keeps shifting. You have no idea where you are in space. But things are getting hot out here on the outer surface so you're probably still going down.

You grab a large chunk of metal to use in shoving the sphere.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: January 19, 2021, 12:41:13 pm »

Shove the sphere, and burn my remaining mana on temporary d12 strengthen grow expand bird feline spells, including breaking the temporary d8 grow expand bird popsicle stick I have remaining.  Do them in a sensible order.. like if being larger would make shoving the sphere easier, do that after whatever combination of spells makes sense.  If it wouldn't help, do it now.  Tail can be used to knock out remaining rockets and such.

Step down from d12 spells to lower die sizes for the final ones to go with ones no more than 2 higher than mana remaining.. like do a d12 with 10 or more mana, but do a d8 if there is 6 or 7 mana remaining.

Currently she has 33 mana, and is one of those d12 spells larger than her listed size of ~80 feet long and ~240 foot wingspan.

Shove the sphere down, towards the planet.  Don't follow through, though, more important is to try and force the hive back into orbit, or barring that, slow it down enough to prevent it from killing so many people.  Hopefully I'll be large enough to accomplish that, with the one d12 spell already in effect, plus the results of my remaining mana pool.

If not, I can probably squeeze one more spell out from draining my suit once, if possible.  It has a fresh load of magicoal and is living, but I don't know if it has emotions.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:55:34 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: January 20, 2021, 04:59:21 am »

Go closer to the strange rocks and observe in more detail. What is this? Is it linked to Sibalbia and/or Kal-Dune, and if yes how?

Ask it if it knows where Sibalbia is or where the grave of Kal-Dune can be found.

Do a targeted d8 viscera scrying spell on the formation to learn more if the others don't give clear information.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:22:40 am by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203