Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239081 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #720 on: December 18, 2017, 05:10:51 am »

He's still young though, and hasn't quite realized that yet... and thanks to his poor analytical abilities, it might take him some time.  He might need to get punched a bit more.

I'm sold on character development. Bootcamp will do him great, and will be a good opportunity to talk about the youngs of his age group. I'll make extra sure he gets all the training he needs in his field of interest.

Summer 140.

At a time when mankind was still fresh out of the primordial forest, in the southern continent we call the Land of Confining, began the story of Ama and Apap. As humanity was still in its infancy and struggled to organize itself into the kingdoms we know today, their marriage is among the first to have been ever recorded. Both were young people in the prime of their condition, amazing athletes and archers of legend. They named themselves lord and lady of Cherishlearned, a fisher village that was to become a major port city of their country.

In Cherishlearned, during their rules, a large number of sport events took place, to honor the gods with displays of martial arts. Asa and Apap often participated, and most importantly, often won.

Securing the peace of the region, the affection of the citizen, the fear of the nearby goblin tribes and the admiration of the warriors of the Land of Confining was one thing - but as time gone by, their bodies began to age. Their accuracy with a crossbow began to decline, and soon enough, the loving couple started to fear their own demise.

At this point, fourteen children have been born of their union, and they were already immortalized in the history of their kingdom. But it was not enough. What is the point, they thought, of acquiring immortality on paper, if their bodies were to die anyway?

Both of them started to look for ways to extend their lifespan. The lady, Ama, was the quickest. Desacrating the temple of Cherishyawn, she was then cursed by her god to skulk the night in search for flesh and blood - in exchange for a life that would not end. Her husband, Apap, a few years later, met a hooded man in the castle, who promized him to teach him the secret of immortality. Apap followed the man into the night, and was never to be heard from again.

The ruling couple had disapeared, in three years time, seemingly without a trace. Their children, now grown men and women, married, worked and had lives of their own. Their third daughther ruled after her mother. Like her parents, she had a large lineage... and among her children was Lord Cado Gulfwatched, the beast that attacked us last year.

There is a lot going on, in the Land of Confining.

Ama Shotpolishes, for that was her full name, attacked various settlements in her home kingdom. Thirty rampages were registered in fifty eight years - the last of which had to be in Watershield.

She came by the north east, and was first spotted by Ersi, the lumberjack. The man was a good athlete, trained by myself until he retired to pursue his dream of creating a mastercraft - he outran the monster easily and raised the alarm.

We moved immediately to meet the creature - and engaged near the walls.

We dealt with it rather easily. But I'm beggining to notice a pattern in those attacks. All of them seem to originate from the Land of Confining. Not only all of the werebeasts come from a peculiar family, but vampires too... Stran is married to a vampire of the same bloodline as the creatures we kill almost every passing season. More investigation need to take place.

Coming back from the short, but stressful engagement, I was met by yet again another argument by Jalew's daughter.
We have a mission and no time to argue with every unruly soldier and their dog, so I let her go. Out of respect for her father, she'll avoid public execution, from now on, her mother will have to teach her how to weave - probably a good life lesson for her.

After that werebeast incident, we had some weeks of calm. We haven't heard of Osme's army for a while, and we're starting to get a bit weary. We remained on guard until the kingdom's scouts told us some very suspect movements were spotted around the inner sea which separates us from them. At first, it appeared like they wanted to surround us by the south, but then - they launched an assault on the kingdom of Egapesor - our historical ally. Skirmishes took place around the hamlet of Shakenflames, but a fierce resistance of the villagers drove the goblins off. For now.

Defeated but not eliminated, five hundred goblins are now wandering in the south. We're expecting the worse.

The following changes took place :
• Donu was sent to the temple so she would become a priestess.
• Her brother, Duslud, has been sent to the scriptorium to study.
• Dengusa starts his apprenticeship in metalcrafting.
• Digo will join bootcamp, where he'll learn under Thrathnu, alongside Sirris and her sister Turot.
• Satheth will now join my squad to fill up a empty office we still carry since the battle on the bridge.

For now I think this is all.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:29:47 am by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 18, 2017, 01:01:21 pm »

Ases' journal, Summer 140

Things here are wound up tight. I said hello to the leadership after that last were attack and they snapped at me. I tried to calm things down, but this turned into an argument. Apparently they view me, or any other person who does not want a family or a tight knit circle of friends, as a disruption to public order. They took my sword and told me my head would be off if my father weren't so important to the fort. They assigned my mother to teach me weaving, hoping it would correct the problem. It might "fix" me, but I highly doubt it. I've always respected craft work, and I'll probably dive right into the work and do as well at it as I did at soldiering. I've never been praised for that kind of thing, so I have no idea how it will affect me. Maybe I'll want to be more social after this. Or I might just burrow deeper and deeper into the work. I mean, we've heard all sorts of stories about artists becoming even more antisocial and diving into their art, rather than falling all over their fans with the praise. I can't say which way I'm going to go.

*                            *                                   *

I was going to fight and get banned, but I'll do this in character. You want me to "fix" my character, then provide periodic sheets for her. IF she goes the route you want, then by all means I will gladly play her that way. But if she goes dissatisfied herself, and she gets even further into the "I don't want company" road, I am not going to lie about her. Remember the first "fight" we had. I surprised you by being mature. Why don't you stop attacking me and give me the benefit of the doubt?

ETA: XD Actually, after reading her character sheet again, it seems I'M tame compared to Ases. This bodes even more poorly for any effort to get Ases "normalized" to society. She's a fighter and a rabble rouser who respects law but hates those who exercise the power to create it. I'm sorry, but there is no way in Hell I can see to play her nicely unless you somehow get her losing arguments to persuasive people who value the kind of things you want out of her. If I were you, I actually would have executed her after discussing it with me. That bitch is probably going to wind up seeking her own immortality and becoming a necromancer if you let her loose by retiring the fort.

Of course, with all the timing of this and lack of PM discussion, I'm certain your move of putting her in weaving is actually an attack on me instead of her. Which is why we didn't discuss this ahead of time. If we had and I'd had time and direction to study her again, we could have made a very nice character arc of her being ostracized and then killed anyway, with Jalew's blessing.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:13:53 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 18, 2017, 04:51:04 pm »

Wow. Very interesting developments. Loved dopey faces of surprised Donu, Zothoabo and Satheth. They seem so silly  :P

Army of five hundred goblins is insane. I don't think it can attack us (there seems to be a limit to enemy siegers), but it could take another route and raise some villages and towns we sworn to protect. Which would be...bad.

Wanted to ask who is this axe-loving maniac with axe tattoo giving Satheth his first axe, trainer of an axe squad? (Yep, I mentioned all those axes on purpose, sorry)

Also, is the claim of Satheth being a top student close to reality?

EDIT: Urist McVoyager, I'm really interested to discuss with you Ases being portraited a "monster", since I cannot find that much out of ordinary in her sheet regarding that. From what I can draw, she seems to be a pessimistic, self-immersed law-abiding loner that does not like taking obligations onto herself and also has NO sense of vengeance or retribution. A more tragic than any kind of "monster" material. To me, at least.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:00:39 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 18, 2017, 05:20:33 pm »

Yay!

A question: I'm still not completely sure where you're getting all the world information for your narrative.  In particular, your map which I presume shows army movements.  Is this information being summarized for you by a utility?  How do I read the map?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 18, 2017, 05:26:52 pm »

Yay!

A question: I'm still not completely sure where you're getting all the world information for your narrative.  In particular, your map which I presume shows army movements.  Is this information being summarized for you by a utility?  How do I read the map?
It is information exported in DF Legends Mode, viewed in Legends Viewer (absolutely GREAT side-tool for DF Legends digging). About reading it... Dark green forests, green plains and green-gray marshes (can't guarantee); special symbols mean civilization settlements. Lines are connections between them (routes, roads and such). -----> is an attack going from goblin civ dark pits onto our human neighboors.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #725 on: December 18, 2017, 07:30:22 pm »

Almost ! Light green are light forest, dark green deep forests, gray is mountain. On the very small map, only the belligerents are shown - Watershield is a bit up to the north, to the west of the great lake you can see on the north eastern side. I'll provide a wider, better map soon, probably tomorow.

Also : Satheth was indeed Thrathnu's top student. Still a big notch under the level of the standing army, but among the trainees, he was the best, seconded by Donu. Erod, the dude with the axe, is just a soldier, from the Dotep clan - he's the big brother of Sirris and Turot, girls that Satheth met in the boot camp. As Malfinal (who is incidently the guy who designed him, thanks again) said, he's a nice chap that gets kicks from helping other, but talks with fists as soon as someone eats his french fries.

A quiproquo between him and Zefer about Donu would be absolutely epic.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:33:24 pm by Cathar »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 19, 2017, 12:50:42 am »

Can we seriously try to avoid killing anyone off who is loyal to the fort? We need all the support we can get and I think that ought to include ases.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #727 on: December 19, 2017, 08:00:49 am »

Alright so here's maybe a more readable regional map, with the current development of Osme's troop movements. It shall be noted that in seven years, only one troop managed to get past us and attacked Hairyoracle, where they were defeated by the local garisson. The rest of them crashed on our walls.

Here's a rendered version of the known world map. I should, at some point, get to manually add the settlements, but it's a bit too big of a job for just one man.

And an updated list of the Watershield clansmen, still in progress :

Can we seriously try to avoid killing anyone off who is loyal to the fort? We need all the support we can get and I think that ought to include ases.

Nobody dies of a career ending fuckup.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:12:12 am by Cathar »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:43 am »

Might be just me but the font on the family tree pic is totally unreadable ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #729 on: December 19, 2017, 08:16:43 am »

Ill correct that in a few hours, no problem ! Sorry about that. And yeah it's not you, I just reduced the render size too much, and haven't checked because late to work and very busy pre christmas schedule.

Edit : Here you go !
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:12:41 am by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 19, 2017, 10:21:43 am »

"Nobody dies of a career ending fuckup."

Ases didn't fuck up. I did. Reinstate her in the army and I'll leave. I'm not her, she's not me, and if you need soldiers you're better off putting her on the front line. This is my last post here. You want to reach me, do it in private.

Peace.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #731 on: December 19, 2017, 12:54:37 pm »

"Stupid, stupid, stupid."

Digo struggled with what felt like his six hundreth push-up this evening.  His arms felt like they were on fire - his flimsy frame wasn't built for this kind of effort.  He had finally learned to bear his burden in relative silence- complaints only led to more exercises.  Captain what's-his-face was clearly too thick to give up, but that didn't mean Digo had to like it.

"Would Digo like to tell everyone how, exactly, what we are doing here is stupid?"

Rats.  Did he say that out loud?

"Go on, Digo.  Tell the other recruits what you think we should be doing instead of training."

Well, too late now.

"We could be building traps."  He looked around at the other recruits.  One of them was even younger than him.  "A corridor full of automated traps could kill off or capture an invading army without risking the lives of any of these young recruits.  We could live the rest of our lives in safety and security.  Instead, we're wasting our energy getting ready to fight and probably die.  That's why I think it's stupid."

It was pointless, of course.  The idiot would probably start babbling about the importance of courage or valor in combat or some other garbage.  These soldier types were all the same.

"Tell me, Digo.  How much do you know about werebeasts?"

Digo paused.  "I know they are... people.  Who turn into monsters at the full moon.  And, uh they can spread their curse by biting."

The Captain stared at him silently, just long enough to be uncomfortable.  Then he began to pace up and down in front of his recruits.

"A werebeast, soldiers, is the perfect blend of man, beast, and evil magic.  A werebeast knows neither mercy nor fear, but they are far from stupid.  Rather, they possess a unique combination pf human intelligence and animal instinct that makes them cunning, agile, and most importantly," he finished, stopping directly in front of Digo, "completely immune to traps."

"The Land of Confining is home to a family of werebeasts.  We have already felt the bite of some.  More will be coming.  A trap corridor serves no defense against werebeasts, soldiers.  There is only one defense that works, and that is through combat.  It is my job to turn you all into fighters capable of defending our fortress against the beastman menace."

Digo stared, slack-jawed.  "You're going to send us to fight werebeasts?"

"Quite possibly.  Now everyone drop and give me fifty, courtesy of Digo."

Digo dropped to the ground, ignoring the angry glares from the other green recruits.  It was bad enough being sent off to boot camp for "building character".  But actually seeing real, life-or-death combat?  Him?  He was an engineer!  He was supposed to protect the fortress with his constructions, not by whacking things with sticks!  Fighting was for... expendable people!

Digo was going to find a way to get out of it.  There was no way he would wind up being eaten by some werebeast.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 19, 2017, 05:36:26 pm »

Almost ! Light green are light forest, dark green deep forests, gray is mountain. On the very small map, only the belligerents are shown - Watershield is a bit up to the north, to the west of the great lake you can see on the north eastern side. I'll provide a wider, better map soon, probably tomorow.

Also : Satheth was indeed Thrathnu's top student. Still a big notch under the level of the standing army, but among the trainees, he was the best, seconded by Donu. Erod, the dude with the axe, is just a soldier, from the Dotep clan - he's the big brother of Sirris and Turot, girls that Satheth met in the boot camp. As Malfinal (who is incidently the guy who designed him, thanks again) said, he's a nice chap that gets kicks from helping other, but talks with fists as soon as someone eats his french fries.

A quiproquo between him and Zefer about Donu would be absolutely epic.

I'm pretty sure Zefer would (physically speaki ng) snap the axe man in half over Donu. That being said, wasn't Zefer supposed to give Donu a flower? Haha.

Ahem Journal update....now!

"Diary of Zefer Scribefondled

I was informed of a bit of news that made my heart sink for some unknown reason. It seems to be that due to the pressing matters of borders and goblins...five hundred goblins that is staying on our borders (So I hear anyway.) Some of the recruits and newbies in the army were put to work somewhere else. The jobs that were in needed of being filled like pumpworkers and so on. Donu, being a newbie, was put to work as a priestess or so I hear...i haven't worked up the courage to give her a flower, but I so have enough for a Boquet or two to give her...is that too forward Diary? Why did the news about Donu make my heart sink like my sword in flesh?"

Zefer broke himself from his diary, stopping the entry short, no artwork. He decided that now would be an appropriate time to give Donu a bouquet, for her saftey...if flowers even worked that way.
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 19, 2017, 05:50:26 pm »

^ Great story.

I think there is a bit of values dissonance between the forumites who mostly subscribe to western cultural standards, and the humans of Mong Kima who subscribe to DF proc-gen standards, such as disliking romance, and family. Even with these cultural values that don't fit out culture, they have a social almost isolated society where everyone knows everyone, so even if you don't like family, or value romance, you have to interact with and consider those people else you will be ostracized.

for example, Zothoabo seemed very disconnected to me, not caring about family or romance, but having 5 kids, his first when he was 15. He also saw his parents killed in front of him, so he tries to be a good parent, but kind of lets his family do whatever, partially because he doesn't care and partially because he wants them to have a happy life because he doesn't feel he can have one.

For Donu, she seemed like a revolutionary, so she makes a fuss, and undermines authority, but when it comes down to it, she does as she's told because she is part of the same society as everyone else. She may complain to Thrathnu and try to skip training and eat food, but she's not going to tear down the kitchen and mobilize the workers.

For me it's a bit of willful ignorance. Take the traits that are unique to the character and try to build a personality template, then find a way to rationalize that personality with their strange cultural values.

I'm pretty sure Zefer would (physically speaki ng) snap the axe man in half over Donu. That being said, wasn't Zefer supposed to give Donu a flower? Haha.

I got busy and wasn't able to get a story in for Donu last week. I'll try to get one done tomorrow. Plan is to have the flower and some interaction with Sirris.

Then more heavy stuff at the end of this week, or after holidays.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #734 on: December 19, 2017, 07:21:45 pm »

^ Great story.

I think there is a bit of values dissonance between the forumites who mostly subscribe to western cultural standards, and the humans of Mong Kima who subscribe to DF proc-gen standards, such as disliking romance, and family. Even with these cultural values that don't fit out culture, they have a social almost isolated society where everyone knows everyone, so even if you don't like family, or value romance, you have to interact with and consider those people else you will be ostracized.

I imagine the Pearlites to be extremely collectivistic and practical. They dislike romance, don't like art too much, view science with suspiscion... and equally dislike traditions. At the opposite, they value practical things like craftmanship and consider the art of fighting with great respect. Tho there are one love relation in the fort, namely between Pathril and Idla. I kinda hinted at it on occasion, but last thing they want is that to become public. Marriage would be, I imagine, something the families set between one another, practically. Like, two families want to strenghen their bonds, their kids are okay, bam, marriage. I think it would make sense  with the mindset.

Also, you won't get ostracized if you display an outliying behavior, characters are all outliers in some respect and Pearlites care for each others by inlarge, but you will get diagonal looks. Pretty much like if, today, someone was to tell you the earth is flat and he saw a ghost last night - that would be accepted, people would likely not make a fuss, but will think something's off with this one.

That said I am all in favor of a cute romance. That definitively can happen, Pearlites are humans after all, and playing it either as covert action or negociations between families, I'd say frankly go for it, that's a freedom we can take. (Also Donu can say no outright, I don't think she's the kind to dance around a negative answer, in which case Jalew will find someone else for his eldest son)

"Stupid, stupid, stupid."

Digo, check your inbox :D Also fantastic story, thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:41:54 pm by Cathar »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 111