Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Core  (Read 12036 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Core
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2017, 03:57:31 pm »

Moerth has coolthings too!

Once, while the rest of us were on a year-long vacation, an unpaid intern built the system's first warship using only a pile of old scrap metal and some lawnmower parts.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2017, 04:25:59 pm »

So... he made a rustbucket. Scrap and lawnmower parts don't typically include air tanks, fuel tanks, rocket engines, and spaceship-grade metal.

Avanti!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2017, 04:30:38 pm »

So... he made a rustbucket. Scrap and lawnmower parts don't typically include air tanks, fuel tanks, rocket engines, and spaceship-grade metal.
Mate, you clearly have not seen a Moerth lawnmower. The carnivorous grasses of the Fidyl Plains do not mess around.
Long Live United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2017, 04:35:32 pm »

I assume that they managed propulsion by maintaining their usual diet and putting the hygiene facilities at the back...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2017, 10:17:04 pm »

From this point on I'm almost definitely going to be changing the Expense die back to a 1d6 instead of 1d5, and will take it as more of a suggestion regarding expense levels relative to the design.
Because right now it's too restrictive and disconnected from the rest of the rolls. If you make the first dreadnought in the system with its own death star beam, it shouldn't ever have an expense of 5x in the first go. I can change the min/max expense with modifiers, but I don't decide modifiers before the roll and I want some degree of liberty after.

TL;DR: Some changes in the Expense roll of designs that you probably won't really notice. Mostly to help me balance designs better instead.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2017, 11:58:16 pm »

Will you be ret coning any existing designs with this change?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2017, 12:08:04 am »

Nope. I'm fairly happy with the designs thus far. I just had a sense that if I didn't change it soon, then it would eventually come back to haunt me when someone gets a 3x Death Star.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2017, 12:38:44 pm »

Well, the lack of common IC round about here is a pain if you dont know which side ya want.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2017, 12:44:08 pm »

Moerth has less members, I think. Join the Moerth Commune today, for peace and harmony. Our luck can only improve!

EDIT: But to clarify things for you, this is what has happened so far:
Turn 1: Moerth attacks A3, B2, and C3.
Amaok attacks A2, B2, and C2.
Combat on B2 slightly favours Moerth, thanks to their slightly superior pistols.

Turn 2: Moerth attacks C2 with two units.
Amaok attacks A3 and C3.
Some Amaok supplies being delivered to B2 are shot down.
Combat on B2 swings in Amaok's favour thanks to their new rifles. Combat on A3 and C3 is even more in Amaok's favour, since their supplies arrived uninhibited. Combat on C2 favours Moerth, as the Amaokian troops there received no new rifles, and are badly outnumbered.

Turn 3: Moerth retreats from A3 and C3, moving the units to A2.
Amaok carries on as they were.
A ship belonging to Moerth disappeared above B2.
Combat on B2 favours Moerth thanks to their new weapons. Ditto A2 and C2. Amaok completely captures A3 and C3, whilst Moerth completely captures C2.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:03:36 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2017, 01:06:16 pm »

Thanks for the synopsis, tho is slightly bare on specifics.

Also, no link to the arms race hub Chiefwaffles? Shame.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2017, 03:24:17 pm »

The Amaok Thread is just me constantly whining about nobody using my ideas. We would love to have you though!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2017, 04:31:43 pm »

I'll make some kind of synopsis of the players in Moerth and Amaok.
Off hand, I think it's pretty similar amount of unique players, but Amaok has more discussion. I'll find the unique players of each way some point today.

Moerth is doing a genetics thing, and Amaok an AI thing.
Well, those are their outwardly stated goals at least.

And I guess I shall add an arms race hub link to the post.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2017, 04:39:43 pm »

Who said were doing some kind of genetics advancement?, that is just needed for precursory techs to achieve psionics mastery!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2017, 04:59:14 pm »

3-0 on opsec, Amaok's favor.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2017, 05:40:20 pm »

Amaok currently has 8 "active" players. Since page 10 of Amaok's thread, which started on May 17. There have been 10 unique people (other than me) posting in Amaok's thread. But usually it has more discussion than Moerth's thread.

Moerth, however, has 9 "active" players since May 17  (some point into Page 6). In total, Moerth has had 12 unique people post in their thread.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12