Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 39468 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2017, 12:05:51 am »

The Guardian is now displaying the outcome to show if a Tory-DUP coalition is possible.

Corbyn has called for May's resignation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2017, 12:07:19 am »

The Guardian is now displaying the outcome to show if a Tory-DUP coalition is possible.

Corbyn has called for May's resignation.

May shouldn't resign. She should in fact double down on not resigning.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2017, 12:08:18 am »

Tories hold on to Southampton Itchen by a mere 0.1%.

The Green Party holds Brighton Pavilion. Good job Green Party. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:13:22 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2017, 12:14:17 am »

Tory-DUP seems like the only viable government. That's gonna be really unstable though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2017, 12:17:24 am »

If that even ends up being possible. Tory+DUP will probably make it above 326, but I counted the remaining seats and there's enough in-play ones to deny it with a few to spare.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2017, 12:21:29 am »

The thing is SF don't ever show up to parliament, so effectively there are 643 seats and you only need 322 for a working majority. Tories + DUP will cross that threshold, but that government would have a tonne of trouble passing anything since just a couple of rebellions in either party could lose it for them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2017, 12:24:28 am »

Laor was upset by the Tories surviving in Southampton, and held Newcastle-under-Lyme by an equally sharp 0.1%.

Edit: Not content to be upstaged, Plaid Cymru steals Ceredigion (+8%) from the LibDems by 0.3%.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:30:51 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2017, 12:33:20 am »

Hmm...it's good, but not quite an unprecedented landslide. I might hold a poll on if Laor should get "b" or "u" back.

Judgement will be passed on the state of "Tory" once all seats are in.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2017, 12:34:50 am »

The unmitigated winners in all this? Liberal Democrats. Despite taking less share of the national vote than they did two years ago, they've nearly doubled their representation in Parliament. LibDems are back, baby! Still mostly a third nipple in British politics (as they were before), but they're back!
Despite being minimally informed about British Politics, this makes me happy for some reason.

If that even ends up being possible. Tory+DUP will probably make it above 326, but I counted the remaining seats and there's enough in-play ones to deny it with a few to spare.
On a scale of Switzerland to North Korea, exactly how much of a shitshow is this for the politics of the Anglophone Isle?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2017, 12:41:47 am »

On a scale of Switzerland to North Korea, exactly how much of a shitshow is this for the politics of the Anglophone Isle?
A decent Greece. This range of outcomes was a considered scenario since May announced the election and people were like "uh, May, just because we're ahead in the polls while the government is static doesn't mean an election will take our majority to a supermajority, please stop refusing to debate Corbyn", but it's still a pretty sharp uptick for Laor.

Tonight's winners are Laor, LibDems, DUP, Green, Plaid Cymru, and Sinn Fein.

Tonight's losers are the Tories, SNP, UKIP, UDP, and SDLP.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:43:24 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2017, 12:59:55 am »

Hmm...it's good, but not quite an unprecedented landslide. I might hold a poll on if Laor should get "b" or "u" back.

Judgement will be passed on the state of "Tory" once all seats are in.
I have a request that if they lose a letter, it's the R.

I want to talk about how the Toys are faring in parliament.

The last thing you need is a puppet government.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2017, 01:22:09 am »

U is the only choice, here. If you give them back the b they're just americans squatting in the UK.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2017, 01:27:06 am »

Congrats UK on your election outcome. I hope we can now put this whole silly Brexitamathingie behind us and get back to business as usual thx
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2017, 01:35:44 am »

U is the only choice, here. If you give them back the b they're just americans squatting in the UK.
I mean...
Congrats UK on your election outcome. I hope we can now put this whole silly Brexitamathingie behind us and get back to business as usual thx
It's far from over. The Tories will still support Brexit and Laor now supports continuing Brexit. It is only the ravaged SNP,  LibDem, and the one Green who stand against the tide that shall sweep Britain from Brussel's shores.

Oh, and the Tories have taken revenge on LibDem in Richmond Park, snatching the seat away by 0.1% (that number sure is showing up a lot) and a mere forty votes. "Hurr hurr voting doesn't matter"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:37:19 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2017, 01:49:47 am »

Yeah, some of the margins were pretty impressive. Apparently one seat got decided by like literally two votes? It was single digit, anyway, if I'm not misremembering already. Definitely one of the elections in recent history to kick that But just one vote! nonsense in the crotch the hardest.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34