Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 39471 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #210 on: June 09, 2017, 06:03:06 am »

Yeah, the best news for Corbyn is that his position as leader (and his brand of leftist) in now entrenched. I'm sure there were a lot of Laor MPs who would have like for Laor to take a beating everywhere except their constituency to habe an excuse to oust Corbyn.

Heh, up here in Scotland Labor was telling people to vote Conservative in more than a few constituencies.

Really? What was the logic? Screw the SNP to get some breathing room?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 09, 2017, 06:10:12 am »

Yeah, the best news for Corbyn is that his position as leader (and his brand of leftist) in now entrenched. I'm sure there were a lot of Laor MPs who would have like for Laor to take a beating everywhere except their constituency to habe an excuse to oust Corbyn.

Heh, up here in Scotland Labor was telling people to vote Conservative in more than a few constituencies.

Really? What was the logic? Screw the SNP to get some breathing room?

Basically. Happened last election as well. Lib Dems, Labour and Conservatives up here all ganged up on the SNP and flung tactical voting suggestions all over the place. Their election leaflets around here this time around said some variation on 'only we (Lib/Lab/Con) can keep the SNP out', where the SNP said 'only we can keep the Tories out'. Says a lot about the state of things really.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 09, 2017, 06:19:56 am »

Seems like most of England is named like a map for a shitty D&D campaign.  :P
Naw..  It's that even Tolkien couldn't out-Fantasy some of the actual Shire names, thus hamstringing the derivative works... ;)

(Good morning, all.)

ETA:
More Jórvík than Northumbria. Northumbria extended further north to Hadrian's Wall.
Also, as being "North of the Humber", it excludes significant parts of Yorkshire, including The Peoples Republic Of South Yorkshire (as previously ruled by King Arthur. Scargill, that is).

I have been wikipediing up my memory and decided that the old British kingdoms of Elmet and Ebrauc might do, as well as Rheged. Or why not go full out Hen Ogledd?

Most fitting is, of course, The Kingdom of Northern England, the realm of John Uskglass, immortal king of York, Faerie, and a tiny piece of Hell itself.

But still, you don't see Cornwall or Essex or Norfolk calling for such a thing, and they were all proto-English kingdoms as well.

Neither Essex nor Norfolk is proto-English unless by that you mean proto-England - the difference is pretty significant.

As for Cornwall, well:
a Cornish nationalist, centre-left political party in Cornwall, United Kingdom. It primarily campaigns for devolution to Cornwall in the form of a Cornish Assembly, as well as social democracy and environmental protection.

If anything the reason they want a Geordie Assembly has more to do with the north/south England split than anything else. They want to keep our from under the loaferne  soles of those posh bastards down south.

Nah, 40 years of rot don't wash easily. If anything it is much more likely to corrupt Corbyn instead. Can't stop the trend train, neoliberalism knows no brakes.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 09, 2017, 06:35:55 am »

He, Corbyn has been a MP forever now.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2017, 06:55:38 am »

So... what does this mean for Brexit? Are the Tories going to waste more time with coalition talks and a leadership contest before, you know, getting a team together to figure out what their negotiating positions actually are, and actually starting the talks?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2017, 06:56:40 am »

He, Corbyn has been a MP forever now.

I don't see what that has to do with anything.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2017, 06:57:05 am »

Yeah, I guess so. Given the short time period, this raise the chance of not so much a hard brexit as a messy one.

Scriver: He had plenty of opportunity to get corrupted by the specter of neoliberalism.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2017, 07:06:04 am »

Yeah, but now he's in charge.

And I resent your spectre word choice.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2017, 07:37:08 am »

Yeah, but now he's in charge.

And I resent your spectre word choice.

You think he's going to be corrupted now? I think he'll still have a lot of work to do to fight the institutional inertia of Labour, but I don't think he himself will change much. And his position to fight such inertia is now much, much better. Three weeks ago, some were calling Labour's left-wing manifesto "Electoral suicide". Right before Labour skyrocketed in the polls.

As for the specter, I'm not entirely certain what you resent. I mean I'm not a huge fan of neoliberalism myself (although I AM quite centrists in many ways).

Edit: May announced a Tory government with the DUP. By my count that gives her 327 seats, so a wafer-thin majority but a majority. Not clear if it's going to be a coalition or a minority gov propper by the DUP.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:23:29 am by Sheb »

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2017, 09:37:51 am »

I think scriver meant you spelt 'spectre' instead of 'specter'.

Anyway, I think this does raise the possibility of the European side going hard in the Brexit negotiations, seeing as May can't exactly claim a strong mandate of the British people now. She also doesn't seem to be handing in her resignation anytime soon.

United Forenia Forever!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2017, 09:44:58 am »

I mean... brexit can't claim a strong mandate of the british people, either. If that's going to stay on course may sticking around would be pretty even?

Kinda' curious what you'd count as going hard, though. The UK's not going to get better than norway at this point, ferex.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2017, 09:49:34 am »

I think scriver meant you spelt 'spectre' instead of 'specter'.

It's the other way around, but yeah, I think scriver was just ribbing you over it sheb.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2017, 10:47:49 am »

Continuing on my HYS adventure, I found another idiot. This time he was saying that the minimum voting age should be raised as the "Youth" don't know how to vote right.

I can't tell if he was joking or not.

HYS?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 09, 2017, 12:32:17 pm »

So this minority government idea with DUP, will that mean that gay marriages are going to be banned in the UK (Cameron refused to cooperate with DUP because of that), abortion made illegal again, and will they retreat from Paris, like Trump did (DUP are notorious climate change deniers)? If that's the case, I suggest kicking the UK out of the EU before they can even say 'Brexit'. No negotiations, just kick and full boycot.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:34:16 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2017, 12:35:50 pm »

Tories won't be that stupid.

* hector13 remembers the Brexit referendun and recent election

... er... again?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34