Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 39442 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #255 on: June 09, 2017, 07:14:01 pm »

We would decide what we set our tariff rates at though, the EU would have to impose a tax on agricultural produce to the UK in order to achieve the same and the result would be that European farmers would be unable to compete with British farmers in the British market

EU farmers are less dependant on the UK market than UK ones are on the EU market. 40% of our food goes to the EU, less than 10% of theirs goes to us.

Moreover why is it unlikely? By "basically" treating this as a Norway or non-members situation, are we not willingly ignoring the rest of the world? Don't see anyone arguing that Mexico, Canada or Singapore must join the EU to enjoy mutual trade benefits with the EU, unless that is to say that our situation is unique because we are a European country and thus for political reasons the EU will never allow a European nation to enjoy less than antagonistic relations without membership of the EU. This is especially in light of the Canadian and Singaporian precedents giving Brussels the power to give free trade deals to trading partners whether or not its constituent members like the terms or not.

A Free Trade deal assumes that the EU and the UK can come to mutually acceptable terms, which for the EU is likely to involve maintaining most of the freedoms currently possessed by EU citizens in the UK, freedoms which are big parts of why the UK wants to leave in the first place, such as freedom of movement and freedom of residency. This will be a sticking point in any negotiations. In the absence of a Free Trade deal the UK/EU trade relationship defaults to the WTO rules.

The EU exports more food to the UK than the UK exports to the EU, ergo any trade war would hurt French and Spanish farmers the most, assuming we made that choice to go tit for tat. Also assuming of course, that the EU wants to start a trade war, which is in odds with their wish for a free trade deal with the UK. Increases of food prices across the board will not help them, yet even a drastic decrease in food prices would not rescue them, the precariat can only be helped by one of two things: A drastic increase in employment and wages, or reliable social security. With much of the EU's food and wine producers dependent upon UK consumers, it's clear to see why they want to help us here; we'd lose out in relative terms, they'd lose out in absolute terms, and their agricultural lobbyists have not been quiet about it. Meanwhile we'd be able to conduct our own trade deals with the rest of the world which is where the vast majority of all our trade in all industries is conducted meaning that in the centuries to come we will be able to choose for ourselves what is best for ourselves, good that you mention the WTO for on the WTO, we'd be sitting in for 1 seat, not 1/28th of a seat. It's rather embarrassing that Iceland and New Zealand have been able to better represent themselves than we have on the WTO, and it'll be rather nice to no longer be paying subsidies to unprofitable farmers through the Common Agricultural Policy. Hell, we'd even be able to start adopting technologies that improve farm efficiency like genetically modified crops

As I said above, we make up a smaller proportion of EU food exports than they do UK food imports, in terms of actual food availability and proportional jobs lost we lose out more. The EU can afford to lose >10% of it's food export/import market (can't find exact percentages for the EU, but we make up roughly 8% of it's export market overall, or 17% if we exclude intra-EU exports,) Britain can't really afford to lose 25% of it's food import market and 40% of it's food export market.

Also, since when is 47% of imports and 56% of our exports the vast majority of our trade? 53% of our imports are from the EU, and 43% of our exports go to them. The EU alone makes up about half of all our business these days. (https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/)

The CaP subsidises farms EU wide, including in the UK. Since we buy food EU wide there's little difference between subsidising a Spanish farmer who grows peppers we buy than there is in subsidising a dairy farmer who lives in Yorkshire. Either way we're subsidising food that is at least partially contributing to the UKs diet. How efficient it is is up for debate, as is how much value we get back in real terms, but the same could be said if a Londoner was subsidising that Yorkshire farmer in a UK outside the CaP.

We also can already grow GMO crops, provided they pass an inspection that determines they won't cause any environmental or health issues and undergo monitoring before and after entering the market in case issues arise. Spain already grows a lot of GMO maize. The UKs resistance to GMO is largely a cultural issue relating to poor PR in the 90s, what with the whole 'Frankenfoods will cause cancer' type nonsense that circulated then (which was stupid, though some variants that failed testing have caused some pretty major health problems in lab rats.) There are also a number of issues regarding them my lecturers at uni discussed with us, but they boil down to crossbreeding with wild plants results in wild hybrids that kill bugs that try to eat them which then disrupts the ecosystem. Manageable, but it doesn't take much to fuck it up.

While we will be able to negotiate freely in the WTO, we will also be less powerful in it. The EU is the biggest market in the organisation, which gives it a lot of bargaining power when it chooses to use it. The UK has substantially less bargaining power taken on it's own than the EU does as a whole, which will likely result in worse trade deals when we negotiate with other powerful WTO members.

So yeah I think the last bit is an issue that goes far deeper than food prices, it's the gap between the precariat and the working class, not even considering the gap between them and the elite class

Of course poverty goes deeper than food, it's still an essential thing that the poorest in society are already sorely lacking in. Rising prices will just make the matter worse for them unless there's a radical shift in parliament that results in unprecedented wealth redistribution. When tons of people are on the brink of starvation already, you take measures to make sure that's fixed before you do anything that might make it worse though, otherwise you are essentially killing them out of sheer neglect.

Also how about a brexit referendum 2.0? Clearly people are not happy at the state of things. or are you going to use the you only get to vote once and that's supposedly representative for everything ever. seriously this whole election is basically a refutation of that idea.

There is currently no major party that would push for another Brexit referendum, apart from maybe the Lib Dems. The SNP would back the idea if it came up I expect. Labour and the Conservatives would both oppose another one, as I expect would the EU itself.

The only mechanism by which one could be raised in parliament by the public is a petition. After a certain number of signatures Westminster is required to discuss a petition, but they can dismiss it if they desire the moment they bring it up.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 09, 2017, 07:15:32 pm »

Apropos of what? And then what do we do about our politically neutral* and ad-free BBC TV and radio, S4C (ads), World Service (now forced onto the licence fund), etc, etc, etc..
* -  Stop laughing at the back, LW...
BBC bias is not very easy to quantify since it's very plastic.
Plastic? Plastic bias? I'm sorry, but I'm not quite familiar with that phrase, would you mind explaining?
Plastic as in plasticity.
A plastic bias isn't really a bias any more. Biases are by definition consistent.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #257 on: June 09, 2017, 07:25:58 pm »

I was just stating where I got the info from.
No worries, just wanted to make sure it was clear I wasn't being hostile or anything

Apropos of what? And then what do we do about our politically neutral* and ad-free BBC TV and radio, S4C (ads), World Service (now forced onto the licence fund), etc, etc, etc..
* -  Stop laughing at the back, LW...
BBC bias is not very easy to quantify since it's very plastic.
Plastic? Plastic bias? I'm sorry, but I'm not quite familiar with that phrase, would you mind explaining?
Plastic as in elastic plastic rather than plastic like lego plastic. The BBC having bias, that is to say if it ever spins narratives for ulterior motives whether through audiences, shows, radio or news, is rather difficult to quantify because which way it bends changes very frequently, at times subtly and owing to its organization, can even end up being contradictory at times
Hence why it's much more useful to focus on who's in charge of any one BBC department at that time

A plastic bias isn't really a bias any more. Biases are by definition consistent.
Biases need not come with consistency, least of all when applied to an organization - an inclination towards a particular belief remains so whether or not that inclination is mutable

Someone really needs to change the title to the tragedy of Darth May.
Alternatively, "Oh Snap" Election

Also how about a brexit referendum 2.0? Clearly people are not happy at the state of things. or are you going to use the you only get to vote once and that's supposedly representative for everything ever. seriously this whole election is basically a refutation of that idea.
I dunno I'm pretty happy with how things turned out, though it seems most everyone is unhappy. Except Corbyn, he's done a good job lmao
I think it's best to just carry on with this unstable situation and see it through for the next 5 years until the next GE. The constant referendums and elections have already pissed a great deal of people off and I'm not sure that more would solve anything; upon any outcome, the underlying upset would remain whilst the political fatigue of Britons and the unresolved state of Brexit would remain unresolved etc etc.
You can see this in how libdems wanted a neverendum and even the most hardcore remainers responded lukewarm

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 09, 2017, 07:33:53 pm »

Besides, Article 50 has already been invoked, and didn't the EU parliament/president (all seven of them)/comittee/whatever already say that once it's invoked, theres no going back? Or maybe it was a British poilitician that said that, I forget.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2017, 07:49:09 pm »

Conservative MPs are vicious creatures; I don't doubt that almost every single one of them wants May gone at this point. She has undeniably put them in a worse position with this election. The issue is that having her resign now isn't really an option - after talking all this talk about stability and certainty suddenly changing horses when we don't even have a government would be absurd. I imagine she'll be gone pretty soon though.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2017, 07:49:33 pm »

Besides, Article 50 has already been invoked, and didn't the EU parliament/president (all seven of them)/comittee/whatever already say that once it's invoked, theres no going back? Or maybe it was a British poilitician that said that, I forget.

I think someone in the EU said something like, 'Out means out.'

Unrelated topic, story is from last month but I don't think I've seen it discussed here; I just found out that May plans to cut the Winter Fuel Allowance. It's basically a £100-£300 sum paid once a year to 60+ year olds with very little money. 80+ year olds and people living alone get more than younger pensioners or people living together.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/may/19/general-election-2017-theresa-may-manifesto-scotland-conservatives-politics-live

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-tories-winter-fuel-allowances-cuts-means-test-exemption-conservative-manifesto-cold-a7744606.html

A: I could swear they already did this a few years ago and winter deaths spiked up.

B: Seriously, taking money for heating away from pensioners?

C: We have a fuel poverty* rate of like 17% as of 2015, how on earth could this be considered a good idea?

D: Things aren't that much colder up here in Scotland that you can justify letting Ruth save face but not make an exception for the north of England as well.

E: How on earth do we have an 18% winter death increase when Germany, Finland and the Netherlands are all around 10%. Are our houses just that much less efficient to warm or are our people that much poorer?

*Fuel poverty is basically a rough measure of if people can't afford to heat their homes over the winter. If it costs roughly 10% of your income to heat your home you're in fuel poverty.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2017, 08:21:09 pm »

Sounds more like the latest version of 'The younger generation is doing <insert something old people complain about> wrong!'.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2017, 08:31:23 pm »

So, I've now seen several people wanting to raise the voting age because young people "Don't vote correctly"

Christ almighty, I bet these morons think that they're protecting democracy by wanting to stop them voting without realising that they're basically wanting a dictatorship.
Probably just a British thing. The young were saying the old shouldn't be allowed to vote after Brexit, and there was the whole clusterfuck about the voting age for the Scotland referendum.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2017, 10:02:17 pm »

I think the voting age should be set to (my age - 1), and from there should be increased 1 year per year.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2017, 10:11:10 pm »

I agree completely. Also that it's legislated that everyone's legal age is 17 or so, increasing 1 per year, regardless of how many years they've been alive. This may lead to the tyranny of the toddlers, but that's just a price you have to pay for a functioning democrazy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2017, 10:21:35 pm »

Why stop at toddlers? Ovum and sperm should get voting rights too.

BTW, it's reported in the Independent that Murdoch spat the dummy over the exit polls:
https://www.indy100.com/article/rupert-murdoch-stormed-out-general-election-exit-poll-hung-parliament-7780951

Heard from very good source who was there that Rupert Murdoch stormed out of The Times Election Party after seeing the Exit Poll

That was a tweet from John Prescott, Blair's deputy PM from 1997-2007.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2017, 11:20:11 pm »

From the same site, there's a thing about Diane Abbott (black, female, labour) who was apparentely pilloried across the whole british media, she managed to increase her % of her constituency vote to 75% in the election. Apparently when it crosses the threshold from criticism to just being nasty, the voters react the opposite way. Who would have guessed?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2017, 11:40:56 pm »

On Thursday, I glanced at a news-stand in a supermarket, as is my want. (Not that this want extends to buying a paper, I just like the opportunity to chuckle at the unashamed biases.)  It was obvious The Sun was trying to be the one 'wot won it' again, with some scare-story about Corbyn, and then there was a local paper (for an area not actually local to where I was at the time, strangely...) with an actual full-page ad for the Tories.

Very incongruous. The nominal catchment area was something like 55% Labour, 20% UKIP, 15% Con in 2015 (with LibDem support evaporated from the middle-ground, and UKIP mostly eating at Lab's vote). This time round it saw 65% Lab, 25% Con,  <10% UKIP. So, probably money down the drain.

...re Diane Abbott, also has long been known/rumoured/suggested to have been linked romantically/friends-with-benefitsly with Corbyn back in the '80s or maybe '70s, to no practical detriment to either.  Has also been very media-savvy, in the past, so made a good ally for Jeremy to bring along into the Shadow Cabinet. At least until a few weeks back when she messed up a radio interview over costing figures, and then rather mysteriously had to drop some engagements due to an unspecified illness in the last couple of days of campaigning. (If it had been Foot In Mouth Disease, it was strange timing. She'd already had most of the criticism over the figures mismatch, and Jeremy had just had his own, less painful, version. Thus I surmise that, if not a physical injury, it was something that was real enough that was stress-related and/or exacerbated.)

For all her faults (haters gonna hate), she is at least a likable person who seems to mention her constituency a lot, so probably does keep its people well served (proximity to Westminster helps...  can probably pull consecutive shifts, or have visitors from one domain meet her in her base of operations in the other as a matter of routine), and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a decent amount of sympathy-voting for her, from the floating voters corpus and beyond, and no reason to have lost many original voters at all.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:42:33 pm by Starver »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 10, 2017, 12:02:46 am »

On Thursday, I glanced at a news-stand in a supermarket, as is my want. (Not that this want extends to buying a paper, I just like the opportunity to chuckle at the unashamed biases.)  It was obvious The Sun was trying to be the one 'wot won it' again, with some scare-story about Corbyn, and then there was a local paper (for an area not actually local to where I was at the time, strangely...) with an actual full-page ad for the Tories.

Very incongruous. The nominal catchment area was something like 55% Labour, 20% UKIP, 15% Con in 2015 (with LibDem support evaporated from the middle-ground, and UKIP mostly eating at Lab's vote). This time round it saw 65% Lab, 25% Con,  <10% UKIP. So, probably money down the drain.
The Tories bought up a lot of front page local newspaper spots, the full-page ones were particularly controversial. Here was a good one:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahalothman/a-lot-of-people-think-the-blackpool-gazette-has-epically
I think the byelection and local results led the Tories to believe they could achieve a total wipeout and grab safe Labour seats across the country. It turned out that those results weren't representative of the whole country, and that the campaign had dramatically shifted the national picture.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 10, 2017, 12:44:17 am »

I like what they did, there. (My example was merely fullpage except for the bannertop title-and-bumf. Didn't check inside.)

Still, spending money to support the Northern Powerhouses, at least. Gotta love those generous Tories!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34