Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 39456 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #285 on: June 11, 2017, 10:45:16 am »

Obviously neo-Marxist glory only occurs once there's been another election.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2017, 11:41:06 am »

Realistically if/when the Tory government falls there'll be another election, because there's no way Corbyn can form a government either in the current parliament. That election isn't looking good for the Conservatives right now.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/873674408224862210
James Callaghan in the 70s I think it was. Minority Labour government propped up by N. Irish votes, funnily enough. Resigned before a vote of no confidence, after refusing to fund a gas pipeline in N. Ireland.

Lead to Mrs. Thatcher.
John Major led a minority government (supported by Irish unionists) towards the end of his administration due to losing so many MPs. That led to Blair.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 11, 2017, 11:47:30 am »

I think it'd be tripe to change the Tory leadership. May may have taken a beating, but she still has an (extremely weak) mandate. Getting someone else to be PM now on that slim majority would be a joke.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2017, 08:10:50 am »

May sacks her two advisers who thought austerity, regulation of the internet and the strategy of not campaigning was a good idea
Tbh Machiavelli says a ruler is at fault for appointing bad advisers. Big red flag when they ignored cabinet ministers right there

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 13, 2017, 08:26:18 am »

May sacks her two advisers who thought austerity, regulation of the internet and the strategy of not campaigning was a good idea
Tbh Machiavelli says a ruler is at fault for appointing bad advisers. Big red flag when they ignored cabinet ministers right there

Soooo... are those Advisors the ones who put that in May's head... Or is she firing them so people don't think those ideas were hers?

If there is one thing I don't like about politics it is scapegoating and plausible deniability.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:28:01 am by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #290 on: June 13, 2017, 08:40:51 am »

Soooo... are those Advisors the ones who put that in May's head... Or is she firing them so people don't think those ideas were hers?

If there is one thing I don't like about politics it is scapegoating and plausible deniability.
Well, it was their idea, but leadership doesn't work like that. Leaders must choose their advisors, moreover once their advisors provide their leaders with their ideas - it is up to the leader to make the executive decision whether to follow that idea or not. Hence why if a civil servant or an advisor gives advice to a Prime Minister, it is ultimately the Prime Minister's responsibility when they choose to execute those ideas, or choose to not execute those ideas.

Hence I am spinning it somewhat for hearty kekles, it only makes sense that Theresa May now removes the advisors whose advice was not worthwhile - it simply wouldn't make sense to keep taking advice from advisors whose advice isn't useful. In regards to taking responsibility, I had to check just now to be sure, and rather interestingly she took responsibility for her failure just recently. Her failure today has made me respect her more than her successful bid for leadership, though I must say that may not bode well, as the last person to gain my respect thus was Cleggers and well... Cleggers is Clegged

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2017, 09:34:34 am »

Well, there's been more people blaming "The Youth" (seriously, I've not seen *this* much complaining about my generation before) for damn near everything, ranging from May having to make a deal with the DUP to inflation.

And I can't take it seriously at all knowing that this sort of thing has been going on for literally thousands of years.

Do you think it's a just revenge for all the people blaming "the old" for Brexit?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2017, 02:51:48 pm »

"I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that was responsible went immediately."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2017, 03:08:34 pm »

Well they resigned, technically. I imagine it had nothing to do with the "these guys must go or we'll challenge your leadership" demand by the rest of the party.

Also, to split hairs, she didn't really "win" the leadership bid, since everyone else stepped out. Kinda taints it a bit, I think.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2017, 03:14:09 pm »

No idea. It's the same groups that have been blaming "The youth" before, they just seem to have become more frenzied in their insistence that we're gonna be the downfall of the UK (and, funnily enough, they bitched about remainers overexaggerating the effects it would have)

As the old saying goes, "If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty, you have no brain."

Like a transition from naivety to reality and ultimately insanity.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 13, 2017, 07:11:19 pm »

No idea. It's the same groups that have been blaming "The youth" before, they just seem to have become more frenzied in their insistence that we're gonna be the downfall of the UK (and, funnily enough, they bitched about remainers overexaggerating the effects it would have)

As the old saying goes, "If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty, you have no brain."

That's not an old saying, that's a Churchill quote.

An a completely related note, zombie Churchill challenges May for leadership, who wins?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2017, 07:12:21 pm »

That's not an old saying, that's a Churchill quote.

An a completely related note, zombie Churchill challenges May for leadership, who wins?

Corbyn.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 13, 2017, 07:39:20 pm »

I hate that quote with a burning passion.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2017, 09:05:17 am »

Don't worry, it'll pass in fifteen to twenty years.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2017, 07:46:41 pm »

Perhaps not the right thread for it... but...

Grenfell Tower

Never let it, nor the neglectful management and leadership of the locality be forgotten.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The tower is managed by Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO), the largest tenant management organisation (TMO) in England, on behalf of Kensington & Chelsea Council.

In a July 2014 Grenfell Tower regeneration newsletter, the KCTMO instructed residents to stay in the flat in case of a fire:[20]

Emergency fire arrangements
Our longstanding 'stay put' policy stays in force until you are told otherwise. This means that (unless there is a fire in your flat or in the hallway outside your flat) you should stay inside your flat. This is because Grenfell was designed according to rigorous fire safety standards. Also, the new front doors for each flat can withstand a fire for up to 30 minutes, which gives plenty of time for the fire brigade to arrive.

The May 2016 newsletter had the same message, adding that it was on the advice of the Fire Brigade:[21]

The ‘stay put’ fire policy
The smoke detection systems have been upgraded and extended. The Fire Brigade has asked us to reinforce the message that, if there is a fire which is not inside your own home, you are generally safest to stay put in your home to begin with; the Fire Brigade will arrive very quickly if a fire is reported.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34