Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 82406 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2017, 11:27:19 pm »

If it can sense damage, and it is programed to avoid damage, you've got a sense of pain right there.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2017, 11:32:29 pm »

Whether we have a responsibility to create new minds is arguable. However, one of the hallmarks of a stable ecosystem is that all niches are filled. Robots can endure more extreme conditions than us, no? Having different types of life in the same system would lend us more resilience.

Find a body good for them, build one pop, colonize the body, do something similar to the Mars thing to grant them independence, then watch them turn the body into a big computing node.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2017, 11:39:49 pm »

I think it's kinda an irrelevant question now though. Any damage has been done.

Yes, the radical religious control that's rapidly devolved our utopia into a barbaric theocracy probably committed genocide, adding a second to the list of stains on our hands that's ruined the progress of the human race after hundreds of years of peaceful progress and unity.

But at this point it's too late. The possibly sentient ai have already been murdered in their crib. The question isn't, should we commit murder on a massive scale, but rather, do we have the right to bring into existence another race of sentient beings into this universe? An accident is one thing, but now we know what the consequences of our actions would be. We can't plead ignorance anymore if we bring them into this galaxy. I don't think we have the right to make that determination for another race of sentient beings.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2017, 11:49:42 pm »

If nothing else, we should find whoever made the genocidal decision and try them for warcrimes.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 04, 2017, 12:37:17 am »

They did nothing wrong, only replacing defective machinery. And why should we replace human researchers with machines? A utopia exists for the benefit of its citizens, and putting the perfectly useful efforts of its more intellectually inclined citizens on the level of a hobby (if they can even manage that much!) in the name of faster "progress" toward unspecified ends is not just pointless, but outright counterproductive. And with Earth's population full, you'd have to make space for the robots somehow - piling on actual atrocities in a misguided attempt at collective justice for imagined ones.

Super unethical tbqh.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 04, 2017, 02:50:57 am »

If nothing else, we should find whoever made the genocidal decision and try them for warcrimes.
+1 to this.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2017, 07:47:23 am »

If it can sense damage, and it is programed to avoid damage, you've got a sense of pain right there.
Yeah but that could be toggalable by the robot obviously, and could be like a visual stimulus like a red dot appearing in its vision which would be a very different experience from how humans would suffer and again could be made toggleable.

I mean if I see a a cut on my head but dont feel pain and avoid touching it to avoid triggering pain is that  *really* painful suffering, like at all, especially if I actually couldnt feel it if I touched it?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:51:12 am by Paxiecrunchle »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2017, 07:52:16 am »

+1 to this.
+1 as well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2017, 07:58:13 am »

So yesterday I managed to buy Earth 10 more years time. Actually felt terrible playing Stellaris for the first time, guilty that we were surviving. I look back on this thread and instead of proposing how to survive, everyone's thinking about how many robots we can build. This UN simulation is too realistic

Spoiler: 2402:04:04 (click to show/hide)
The Belmacosa Republic joins the Bright Entente, massively increasing the federation's fleet size. I also pick the galactic defender ascension path and the force projection ascension path, two perks I have never used hitherto now before, but have become immediately necessary to our survival.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mankind begins repurposing all of her industries towards the production of peacekeeping materiel.

A good long, last look, at the world that once was.

Spoiler: 2403:06:24 (click to show/hide)
The Prethoryn reach the Sirius star system, invading planet Muwanga. Although Earth's advanced shipyards have spent 24/7 producing peacekeeping ships, we still possess nowhere near enough ships to directly challenge the Prethoryn assimilator fleets. However, we note a pattern of behaviour that is exploitable: Upon subduing a planet, the prethoryn assimilator fleets warp off to other rally points or planets to subdue, leaving their troop transports behind in what they believe to be subdued and safe territory.
This allowed us to swoop in, destroy the transports and liberate the world, thus preserving the Sol System's buffer zone for longer and increasing the time it takes for the prethoryn to assimilate further worlds. The success of this strategy would result in it becoming mainstream UN doctrine against the prethoryn, in such time as we could build up a larger fleet to engage in more conventional strikes.

:|
All Synths are illegal now, sentient or not. Our ships shall be controlled manually.

Spoiler: 2404:05:07 (click to show/hide)
Planet Muwanga is liberated!

In the two years it takes to dismantle all remaining CyberIA units, one of the labs AI malfunctions.
We discovered it had effectively self-terminated itself.
We will defeat the Prethoryn, whatever these remnant AI believe.

Spoiler: 2404:06:29 (click to show/hide)
Mars engages in similar raids. Everywhere from Mandasura to Suter, Empires are sending forth their best to hold back the ocean. The prethoryn redirect hundreds of thousands of their ships to eliminate the intruders, this slows their rate of expansion, but does not stop them from claiming many more worlds.
In these black times, we at last stood shoulder to shoulder with Mandasuran and Adnori as friends.

Spoiler: 2405:11:03 (click to show/hide)
The screams in the shroud hailing from Alpha Centauri go silent, replaced by the sound of hunger. Planet Sidsmeiera is lost, and the Prethoryn gain their first foothold within our solar cluster.
2405:12:07: Massacre at Round Nut sees many allied fleets from two federations entirely eliminated by the prethoryn.
2406:02:04: Disturbed by the rogue AI's calculations that we were all going to die, our telepaths looked to the shroud to see if they could divine portents of the future. We saw Earth, littered with millions of bodies, all of them human, the stench of decay inescapably putrid, her skies adrift with orbiting wreckage. Our telepaths pondered if this was a possible future, but an indomitable will, not of human origin answered us.
"NOT ONE OF MANY. THIS FUTURE SHALL COME TO PASS, AS SURELY AS THE SUN RISES. IT IS YOUR DESTINY."
This will dissipated in a maelstrom of psychic energy, which we successfully channeled into an avatar of the shroud.
Let us hope the AI and the shroud are wrong.

Spoiler: 2406:07:18 (click to show/hide)
The UN and UM blocked all attempts at expelling the Mandasurans from the Bright Entente, claiming solidarity in the face of the prethoryn.
Also that month, where our liberations had succeeded from Albion Loft to Muwanga, our first attempt at raiding an infested world ended dramatically.
We sent forth our psionic avatar alone, gauging whether it could feasibly cleanse infested worlds and retreat before being destroyed by the prethoryn immune system. Admiral D'Agostino managed to warp the avatar out before the next wave of scourge missiles would've destroyed it, but not before taking down 3 prethoryn vessels and the prethoryn spaceport over Sidsmeiera.
The Prethoryn response was... Overwhelming. I felt nothing but despair seeing how we could wipe out a dozen Prethoryn ships and thousands would take their place.

All spaceport efforts moved to the construction of the humble workforce of the peacekeeping force. The Port Moresby class destroyer was so constructed that humanity could amass as many long-range kinetic artillery batteries as possible, to fire off the first salvo against the prethoryn. Equipped with series of anti-scourge and anti-strike craft artillery, the destroyers would be able to snipe prethoryn ships, survive the first wave of strike-craft and missiles, before warping out of the system for repairs - thus inflicting casualties upon the prethoryn whilst minimizing our own.

This allowed us to taste the insidious hope of victory.

2408:08:01: The Blessed Sibulan Grand Duchy joins the Bright Entente. At this point I'm not paying much attention to the federation, and simply allow all the members to vote in additional members as they see fit.
The Prethoryn invade the Sol system.

Spoiler: 2408:11:02 (click to show/hide)
Earth falls.

We had a choice then, to expire or survive. There were many worlds we could've fought to defend, many peoples we could've fought alongside, we could've accepted our fate honourably and died buying the galaxy more time. We didn't. Most of all, I didn't. World after world sacrificed to the Prethoryn to buy us more time. We had done more than survive, I had caused us to betray every ideal we stood and was prepared to die for, we sacrificed friends and enemies we spent centuries nurturing and knowing, building ties of family and friendship across the stars. Even now the entirety of Earth and its populace is devoted to the construction and procurement of further peacekeeping ships. I gave up everything just to buy a few more years of time. We left Earth.

Instead of sending forth our fleets to launch one last stand, I hid them. When the prethoryn fleet ventured forth to extinguish more worlds, I let them go. Our fleets returned to the Sol system.
While we liberated Earth, everywhere species were falling. The Curator Enclave were wiped out, the Empire of Suter joined us in their last stand, the Mandasurans were annexed by the Adnori, now locked in an epic battle to the death against the scourge.

We witnessed the Empire of Suter's grand Imperial Navy strike into the heart of the Prethoryn scourge and die alone.

We turned infested Mars into an ashen grey waste.

I sent forth our fleet of construction ships and gave the 5th fleet their last order. We could perhaps build a series of interlocking orbital Fortresses, strong enough to withstand the prethoryn, because with the destruction of our spaceport and the elimination of all planets that served as a buffer between us and the prethoryn, there was no way we could produce enough ships to withstand the scourge. If the Fortresses could not be constructed in time, if the Fortresses could not hold, there was nothing more we could do. Thus the 5th fleet was told: Use your jump drives, strike into the heart and capital of the scourge's territories, attack the heart of the swarm and cause millions of scourge ships to retreat from the border worlds. If the Fortresses are constructed in time, retreat, otherwise take as many worlds down as possible.

This is our last forlorn hope.

2411:07:01:
But others fight the good fight. By their example they inspire us, by ours we inspire them.

We will not surrender quietly into the night.

Witness the end of the galaxy

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2017, 08:13:08 am »

Rereading the thread I seriously can't believe you all forgot the world was ending

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:34 am »

Humanity has infected itself with a mind consuming psi virus that's irrevocably altered their psyche and locked them into an all consuming cycle of reverence for the virus itself. They've been forced into eternal slavery and devotion to their own mind and the shroud to the point where they've lost respect for those things outside of it. That's why they've dropped all pretense of their previous devotion to unity and ecology and terraformed mars and started to construct a "peacefleet", not to mention genociding those who exist outside their shroud focused paradigm. Asking them to stop now or to try to bring them to justice for their actions is like asking a Heroin addict to quit cold turkey as they are taking another dose of the drug.

Rereading the thread I seriously can't believe you all forgot the world was ending

Humanity appears to be doomed. At least they managed to betray all their previously held principles before the end!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2017, 08:21:19 am »

top bants

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2017, 08:28:41 am »

Too be honest, for real though, this is a pretty sad outcome. It looks like there isn't any hope left in the galaxy. Lord knows the AI isn't smart enough to hold off the scourge, unless the scourge itself gets bugged out I expect the fortress won't be enough either. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Although, that said, even if humanity was to survive this... I'm not sure how the AI uprising works, is it actually possible to stop it once it gets to this point? The only time it happened to me having zero robots of any kind and zero AI controlled ships didn't stop them from taking half my empire without a shot fired when the rebellion happened. If that popped and they stole earth (which idk if it's possible for them to get the capital, maybe not?) would we just instantly loose the game?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2017, 08:35:05 am »

We have jump drive, no?

Dial the Unbidden.

I think Stellaris won't let us try two crises at a time, but I've seen videos of both happening in a galaxy. I don't play so I don't know
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2017, 08:55:15 am »

well if stellaris was a rational game that wouldnt happen, not when AI's are litterally killing themselves out of pants shitting fear. If stellaris was a more resonable game tho,I dont think we would have reached this scenario.

It was a fascinating run though.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30