Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 83091 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #420 on: January 11, 2018, 04:27:47 pm »

Thinking on it further, if we assume synthetics are people and the destruction of synthetics constitutes genocide, what peoples has been destroyed? A destroyed synthetic population can be rebuilt by any civilization to exact specifications, as indeed did happen with the multiple upgrades - the recycling of the previous iteration. Yet there is in this discourse a false equivalency between the genocide of a pop like the Hiff'nar, who can never, ever be brought back, and a synth pop, which can be entirely wiped out and brought back at a moment's notice. Furthermore, should the U.N. have sought to rescue pops from species which were confirmed to have committed full genocides and wholsesale slavery of entire species? 🤔

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 11, 2018, 04:43:05 pm »

Don't deflect to whether or not what you did was technically genocide or not when you definitely committed mass-murder on religious grounds.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 11, 2018, 05:45:07 pm »

*pulls out large bag of popcorn*

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 11, 2018, 10:39:09 pm »

Yet there is in this discourse a false equivalency between the genocide of a pop like the Hiff'nar, who can never, ever be brought back, and a synth pop, which can be entirely wiped out and brought back at a moment's notice.

If the synthetics are sentient, and you wipe them out, we're assuming you wiped all data or memory they had- otherwise, it wouldn't be genocide so much as... data internment camp, for lack of a better description.

You could build new ones, but they would have neither the memory nor- more importantly in this debate- the culture the previous iteration had.

Since genocide applies to cultural groups as well as those based on species or physical attributes (such as skin colour), building the race of sythetics again wouldn't reverse the genocide. It'd create a new culture, not restore the previous one. In fact, it'd arguably be worse since now this new race of synthetics will be judged based on their predecessors.

*pulls out large bag of popcorn*

You know it's good when the OP gets into it.

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2018, 10:48:31 pm »

im hoping we can move on from ethics debates and start pressurin lw to start a LP about mira conquering pacifying another galaxy

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 11, 2018, 11:01:13 pm »

im hoping we can move on from ethics debates and start pressurin lw to start a LP about mira conquering pacifying another galaxy

I'd wait till after the next big update. Also, Loud Whispers: what's your opinion on the newly announced Apocalypse Expansion?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 11, 2018, 11:27:25 pm »

Mira gonna shoot everyone up with some God Rays aw yeah boi

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2018, 03:19:55 pm »

Loud Whispers, I have a question for you:

What does a man have that a synthetic does not?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »

Loud Whispers, I have a question for you:

What does a man have that a synthetic does not?

OOH OOH! I know!

There's an 'm' and an 'a' in man!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth / Synthetic Rights Discussion
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2018, 03:46:19 pm »

Nice one, Draignean.

Ooh, the thread's title has changed.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2018, 04:18:54 pm »

I'd wait till after the next big update. Also, Loud Whispers: what's your opinion on the newly announced Apocalypse Expansion?
Expect the UNS Cyka Blyattleship firing freedom beams to enlighten the cosmos

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 14, 2018, 04:34:37 pm »

honestly I feel like cryptfiend and Egan werent arguing in good faith. Like, how hard is it to accept that LW was roleplaying the game in a way based on the beliefs and interests of himself and the United Nations Of Insert Name Here, not to your personal moral opinions on the subject?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 14, 2018, 06:24:12 pm »

Nah, I just represent the like one guy in this galaxy with materialist ethos.

It is all a game in the end. This is part of it.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 14, 2018, 08:35:11 pm »

honestly I feel like cryptfiend and Egan werent arguing in good faith. Like, how hard is it to accept that LW was roleplaying the game in a way based on the beliefs and interests of himself and the United Nations Of Insert Name Here, not to your personal moral opinions on the subject?
Yeah, and I can accept that, but I'm just trying to see if I can change LW's (or someone else's) views on the subject.

Also, LW, you didn't answer my question. Was that intentional?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 15, 2018, 11:46:15 am »

Yeah, and I can accept that, but I'm just trying to see if I can change LW's (or someone else's) views on the subject.

Also, LW, you didn't answer my question. Was that intentional?

Your question isn't that hard to tear apart, it's a question commonly used to segregate two perceived groups:

"What does [groupA] have that the [groupB] does not?"

Different versions of the question have popped up across history in arguments about the worth of the lives of 'barbarians', Muslims, Jews, Christians, 'Krauts', 'Blacks', etc. It's a question used to dehumanize a group to justify things that would normally not be allowed. It could just as easily be:

"What does man have that the xenos do not?"  or  "What do synthetics have that man does not?"

After all, one could argue that by uploading oneself they cast aside the 'shackles' of the shroud, ascending to a higher form of life which doesn't require a shroud 'soul' to live.

GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30