No
- 0 (0%)
noooo?
- 5 (38.5%)
YES!!!
- 8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 28 - [Finished]  (Read 48089 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 28 - Unplanned AI
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2017, 02:18:52 am »

I did it like Akhier the Dragon hearted, too when i hosted - countless times I saw "oh one left, just add 8 - 20 hours" so he has time to ask for a postpone or do his turn - if he actually does his turn it doesn't matter, since it'll host anyway, if not he gets a chance.

Marmaduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2017, 04:12:00 am »

...I think we should all pause for a moment and remember who's truly benefiting from Ermor being here to kick around: the hide-in-the-water-and-fester-and-raid-and-steal-all-the-land-dwellers'-emeralds people. Well, "people". W/o Ermor to compare to, they'd be a shoe-in for most naturally diplomatically toxic (and that's just from where they are, rather than considering their backstabbing and quadruple-dealing ways). So, let's all tip our galea in respectful deference to the goat-fish-turtle-things spawning massive slimey egg balls in our collective oak trees and overrunning all our waterways and shores...

Also, as far as combat capability goes, longdead > soulless or ghouls. C'mon, that's Necromancy 101.

Hi Ermor, I am puzzled as to why you are designating Oceania, who has attacked you once a couple of times afaik, as the target of your public wrath, and not Ulm or me, who have been taking provinces from you (maybe Marignon and C'tis too, sorry, I lack scouts in your zone)? Oceania has not backstabbed anybody yet afaik.
Anyway, to all: this is just "divide and conquer" standard propaganda, let's keep our focus and within one year we will be able to fight each other in peace, without Ermor to trouble us.
Cheers
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:33:19 am by Marmaduke »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2017, 10:04:51 am »

Geez, Arco, I know you said your scouting is trash and all, but you really don't understand? You two were quite straightforward about your sudden but inevitable betrayals, whereas the fish-goat-things tried to be clever and play all sides at once.

Also, for the record: in addition to standing for Friendship, Ermor stands for Micromanagement Hell, so I can't recommend pre-emptively delaying on account of me waiting 'til the last minute (Because Diplomacy), as that just gives me bad incentives to delay carving the chunk of time out of my schedule needed to give my eyeballs papercuts finalize my turns.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2017, 10:20:21 am »

And that is why I try not to mention it. Just note that because I did I am 75% less likely to do so now.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2017, 09:33:40 pm »

Meh, I told every nation made out of living things nothing but the truth, it works well enough. If you payed attention you noted that I took some lands and then straight up left them without a fight to be taken by land nations, that are fighting the good fight, too.

None profits from 0 population provinces and the mass slaughter going on in t'chi shows what you aim for and all that.

Overall, none of us care to much, but it is fucking emror. Gotta deal with it, like work traffic, then -afterwards- get to where you want to be.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2017, 01:00:13 am »

There's a couple of really funny things about this line of reasoning. First, that anyone buys into it, and second, that so many people buy into it. Ermor's deadlands only really matter if you want to conquer them. I.e., for maybe ~75% of the people in a given game with a popkill nation, it means nothing, and they're no worse than any other snowball nation - of which there are many, and of which we have several in the current game. But everyone seems to tell themself they'll be the 25% who conquers so much before victory conditions are met that they need to make sure they don't lose any potential future spoils...

I rather suspect the silly mental gymnastics have their roots in Dom3 and Conquer All victory conditions, and are perpetuated by nothing more or less than an unwillingness to re-examine long-held conventional wisdom. That sort of thing is depressingly common with a fair number of Dominions' received truths...

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2017, 02:05:59 am »

Were I in Albright's shoes, and looking to enjoy playing Ermor without the diplomatic issues that result, I'd perhaps post screenshots showing I still hadn't researched Burden of Time every few turns, even though having to show they weren't just the same shot could be a pain - I actually think removing it could even be a stealth buff to them.

Personally I have stronger moral objections to the blood vengeance bless, which seems a mile and a day stronger than any other bless outside of w9, with blood being a really good path even without it. Am I missing something? I've not been playing for as long as others, is it too early to have opinions like this on balance?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2017, 02:37:56 am »

B9 is a strong bless, true. But I'm not sure if it's better than other blesses. It's situational. Its usefulness depends on what nation you're playing, and whom against.
If you only get relatively few sacreds, or if you're fighting nations with high MR, then it's largely a waste.

Then there's the question of whether having high B pretender allows you to viably branch into blood soon enough for it to matter. If it doesn't, then you end up with one B caster that can't do much casting due to poor slave income. (And if you're playing Ermor - and not luck out to find the Lower Throne early on - you'll have extra hard time getting slaves from rapidly depopulating provinces)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2017, 04:20:58 am »

Ermor taking TC's capital...they could have, instead of building temples and spreading domain there, opted to use that as a blood hunting base. That would have been very dangerous to put a pretender in hostile dominion just for a chance to get more blood slaves. The main thing is B9 hard counter mages and makes your sacred troops be able to 1 shot almost any human, black plate infantry being the exception who sit at 12 hp and 21 protection will still on average recieve 8 damage from an attack from a lictor. Quickness got nerfed a bit a while ago, reducing the ap multiplier to 1.5.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2017, 04:42:59 pm »

Were I in Albright's shoes, and looking to enjoy playing Ermor without the diplomatic issues that result, I'd perhaps post screenshots showing I still hadn't researched Burden of Time every few turns, even though having to show they weren't just the same shot could be a pain - I actually think removing it could even be a stealth buff to them.

Meh. I have Thaum5 researched because Thaum5 is useful, not so I can cast BoT. What's the benefit for me casting BoT? It's a very gradual benefit to me, and unless I forgo hundreds of death gems to either overcast it or chain-cast it, it's unlikely to stay up long enough to achieve that gradual benefit. And given that death gems are how I get my lab rats, combat mages, worth-a-damn priests, and proper sacreds, that's essentially saying "unless I dedicate myself to nothing but making myself unpopular". Late-game that's not as true, but late-game plenty of nations have access to "screw your neighbor" globals and the means to firmly cast them...

(Ofc, as far as self-fulfilling prophecies go, piling up on Ermor and giving them both no reason to think long-term and an incentive to try to screw everyone over at once with BoT is as effective at self-justifying as everyone trying to invade Ermor and then as if by magic discovering that having to deal with 0-pop provinces is a global experience...)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:02:11 pm by E. Albright »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2017, 06:56:28 am »

Wow, all the troops of bandar log are freaking animals (just saw c'tis exploit this beautyfully) - they really got the short stick among nations.

Wait, am I animals

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2017, 07:56:17 am »

Oceania becomes animals if they use transform, but otherwise, no. Did you see something like communion into beast mastery or was it large amounts of wildness and charm animal?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2017, 10:03:39 am »

Wow, all the troops of bandar log are freaking animals (just saw c'tis exploit this beautyfully) - they really got the short stick among nations.

Wait, am I animals
That did very little damage. The battle was lost due to some really freaky RNG, where 100+ morale ~15 white ones decided to retreat moments before finishing off the remains of C'tis army.
On the plus side, very few losses.

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2017, 10:15:40 pm »

yeah, those scripts were for your other army. Good switch though, credit where it's due.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2017, 11:26:18 pm »

yeah, those scripts were for your other army.
Ah! Good thinking. There were, after all, only three animals in there (IIRC).
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39